Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #1  
On the Trail

S/C/G: 270/230/220

Height: 5'11"

Default Questions for a Personal Trainer?

I signed up to work with a personal trainer at my gym, and I need suggestions for what to ask him.

My first appointment is tomorrow.

Last edited by AutumnHarvest; 03-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.
AutumnHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #2  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Well, depending on how long you will be with this trainer (is it a 1 day thing, or a continual effort?). Ask him/her to take ALL your measurements (neck, chest, waist, thights, calves, etc). Take these measurements on a monthly basis. See if they will measure your bodyfat (using calipers, or whatever techniques they use). See if someone at the gym will take your blood pressure. As you continue to do aerobics, you are strengthening your heart, that blood pressure will be a good indication in the future on how your heart is working. Your heart rate will also decline when you are doing cardio as time goes on. Ask someone to check your resting heart as well.

Know your goals. Is it weight loss? Is it toning? Is it bodybuilding?

If it is a 1 time session, commit yourself ahead of time on what your dedication will be. Working out 3,4,5 days a week? Ask him/her to make a schedule that you can keep

Ask for diet suggestions, ask if you should take any supplements. They may want to increase your caloric intake. If you keep a food journal, bring that as well, as they may want to see your daily (make sure your getting the basic food groups in).

My trainer, after the initial consultation put me on a treadmill and tested my fitness level. She kept on adjusting the incline, the speeds, etc. Measured my heart rate. She then took me to the weights, and machines to to check out my form, and my strength.

Lastly...or firstly...ask them their credentials.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #3  
On the Trail

S/C/G: 270/230/220

Height: 5'11"

Thank you for the suggestions FresnoBeeDude. Currently, my plan is to meet with the personal trainer once every two weeks. That's the most than I can afford at the moment.
AutumnHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote