Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #106  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoBeeDude View Post
My latest NSV comes in the form of a shirt. I have been "nervously" thinking about buying a size SMALL shirt.
Why did I just quote myself? I have yet ANOTHER NSV regarding a shirt. In March of this year when I learned I could fit in "normal clothes" (meaning no more sweats/3XL shirts) I went on a shopping spree. Bought some khaki pants, 4 pullover shirts, 3 button down shirts, etc. ALL the shirts I purchased were 1XL. Unfortunately I learned later on that day that button downs fit differently. May look fine standing up, but as you sit down the tummy expands, and so does the shirt. I could not comfortably wear the button downs. In fact the lower buttons would come undone. Every once in awhile I will attempt to wear these shirts, sitting differently at work.

Anyways, as I am sitting here typing this, I can officially say the 1XL button downs are fitting PERFECTLY! I decided to put this shirt on today (it's been at least a month) because I learned this past weekend that I can wear a size small shirt.

Second NSV. Yesterday, while doing my 6.5mile walk (I really wanted to do 10, but my left knee was giving me problems) a fellow stopped me and asked if I needed a ride. As in the past I declined, and told him, meaning patting down my gut, why I was in the middle of nowhere walking around. He then asked if I went to one of the local schools!!! Let's see I graduated from HS in 1990, I spent 2 years in community college. I haven't stepped foot in a classroom in 15 yrs! How old did I look? Once upon a time I hated looking younger then I actually was, but as I grow older I learn to appreciate it. I really need to get my drivers license photo updated!
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

We just got home from a weekend long family reunion, and I was the "bell of the ball" No one there has seen me since I was close to the 300 lb. mark, so they were all very surprised when we got there! Aunt Ruth came up to me and told me I look like I am 25 years old now! There was someone complimenting me constantly, it really was a HUGE morale booster!

DD has been away at college, and when she came home Friday, she said "Mom, you're about half as wide as you used to be!" That one really tickled me too.

SO - it has been a real good weekend of wonderful comments for me here!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I can slide between my portable dishwasher and the kitchen wall. Silly, but now I don't have to go around unless I really want to take those extra steps.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #109  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Oh dear, I just finished the 4 mile Super Challenge WATP video. I am so proud of myself! My 4 year old daughter did it with me, but I am exhausted and she is still tearing around the house *Groan*.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

So many great NSV's!!!

I completed canoe trip leaders I this weekend. It was a great weekend & I never once felt too fat or out of shape for any of the activities. In fact I felt very competent & self-confident!

I have waited for years to buy a good quality gortex, waterproof, breathable jacket that is appropriate for all the camping & outdoor activities I do. At first we couldn't afford it & then I didn't want to spend the money on something so big - like I didn't deserve it at my weight. I have been using my husband's jacket for the past couple of years but it's really been kind of silly. So this weekend I finally bought one & even got a great deal - $175 down from $350!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #111  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I just tried on my wedding rings...and they fit! I havent' been able to wear my rings in over 1 1/2 years and this was one of my goals for this year.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Oh Rhonda!!! That's AWESOME!!!! I know how much it must mean to you and DH! You should take them for a special cleaning and checkup tomorrow as a treat to yourself. Oh how they'll sparkle and shine!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #113  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Rhonda I'm so happy you got those rings on. I know you've wanted that for a long time!

So here are my little ones:

1. I was putting on my shoes to go for a walk and I can't get over how much longer my laces are. I never thought of my feet as fat too, but the laces don't lie! The bows are HUGE just so the laces don't drag on the ground.

2. I was about to get in the shower and looked in the mirror. My shoulders are looking great. I love them now. They go straight out like a hanger then straight down into my arms. And I am starting to see the notch at the base of my throat. Dare I hope shoulder blades will be making an appearance shortly?

3. I can't wear any of my 24s anymore and I'm on the brink of entering the 20s. 60 pounds for the first size drop, 9 for the second?

4. I can easily cross my legs when sitting down all the time now.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 09-19-2007 at 06:03 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #114  

Height: 5'5"

Rhonda, that's incredibly exciting! Congratulations!

CC - Sizes are the weirdest things. Congrats on your fast leap downward from the 22s, and congrats on your other accomplishments.

Marseille - I just got the 4-mile WATP, and my 3YO daughter can kick my butt too. (Of course, I can use heavier weights than she can when we do my strength training video.)

A questionable NSV. I got some capri-style workout pants a few months ago, and they were way tight when I bought them (though they were the largest size, just another indicator of the fashion industry's belief that fat people don't work out, have sex, or have lives, I guess). I had noticed they were getting looser, but when I was riding my bike to the gym today, I had to keep hitching them up so that I wasn't mooning everyone. Still, I'm not ready to retire them. I'll just wear longer shirts.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 09-19-2007 at 10:31 PM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #115  

I was just looking at photos of myself on facebook (some posted by me but just as many posted by others) & you know - I'm not really that fat. Okay, so maybe the way I've worded that doesn't sound great but I have been so unhappy with photos of myself for so long & it is nice to look at these photos & be okay with how I look.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #116  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Rhonda, I'm so excited for you!! I know that's been a long time goal of yours.

LaurieDawn, I definitely consider clothes falling off a NSV! As strange as that sounded I'm sure you know what I mean...

Lifeguard, that's a great NSV. I remember the first time I looked at a picture of myself and didn't cry. They were my halfway pictures, after I'd lost 52.5 lbs.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Wow. Great NSVs everyone. So inspiring!

We went to my Moms house yesterday. We sat out on her porch and she has some of those cheap plastic chairs. Normally Ill avoid sitting in them because Im afraid they will break, its uncomfortable, and my fat butt hangs out the sides. Not yesterday. I fit comfortably.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #118  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Wow, so many awesome NSV's!!

Lifeguard, I understand about the jacket! I know it was subconscious, but I didn't buy anything for myself either. It was almost as though I didn't think I deserved it. You're going to look fabulous in that new jacket!

Rhonda, oh how exciting!!!! Putting those rings back on after not being able to where them is such a thrill!! Here's an idea for you.....starting now, every time you lose a pound put a dollar in a jar. Pretty soon you'll have to have those rings sized and made smaller, and you'll already have the money for it, so you won't have to wait!

C.C., way to go on the smaller sizes! Incredible how it can take 50 pounds for one size, and only 9 for the next, but prepare yourself to be amazed! It took me a while to go from a 22 to a 20, but then I ran through sizes so fast it would make your head spin. Some of them 16's and 18's, and even 14's I believe, I was only in for 2 or 3 weeks. This is going to be so fun for you! Enjoy it!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #119  

Love NSVs!

Gale - You're tearing it up now! Watching you be so successful in powering through your post-vacation blip has really helped me get through mine. I love the power of being able to do this together.

Lifeguard - Liking pictures is a huge NSV for anyone at any size. Congratulations on getting there.

Alana Jo - I have had the unpleasant experience of breaking a chair (in church, no less - one of those children's metal folding chairs), so I can so relate to your NSV. Congrats.

My NSV - I ran FIVE MILES last night. I had an epiphany as I was running yesterday. I have always considered runners to be the "real athletes." I don't know why - maybe it was because I was always so slow growing up that I never ran with my classmates when I could avoid it. When I started this journey in May, I started walking, and began slowly adding in the running. But when I asked my doctor for suggestions for the knee pain I experienced when I ran, she suggested I stop running until I was thinner. It was Lisa, then Tricia, that made me believe that I could run as a fat person. (Thank you again, BTW.) And I did well sometimes, and not as well other times. For some reason - and perhaps it was believing that running was such an elevated activity - I rarely pushed myself to run or to keep running when I just didn't feel like it. I did with my other activities - swimming, elliptical, bike, etc. - but not as much with running. Finally, I realized last night that my thinking about running was really skewed. When I do the elliptical, I push myself really hard, doing about 30 minutes on one of the highest resistance programs and making sure I maintain a minimum speed. I wasn't working any harder at running - I just believed that it should be harder, for whatever reason. So, I thought about Lisa and her first ten-mile run. It finally dawned on me that she likely doesn't start out every run with enthusiasm that just can't be contained. Of course, thinking about that backfired. I had planned on stopping at four miles, but then I remembered that Lisa had planned at stopping at nine miles on that first 10-mile run, so I couldn't make myself stop after just four. So, now I'm now officially calling myself a runner, and accepting that I can be a runner without being a great athlete. Interesting to see where this journey takes me.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #120  

Great job with the running LaurieDawn - that is awesome!!!

Last night I rowed 2x 500m for the first time. Usually if I would only do 1x 500m followed by 1-3x 250m. It was tough but I did it!