YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:27 PM   #31  

Yes! Congrats, Michelle - great start to getting rid of those bad carbs and prepping for a new way of eating.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but it's been a hectic week.

Upon rereading Chapter 2, I realized I didn't pay close attention to all of the "shrink-speak" in it because I was anxious to get to the keys. But this time, I really digested what I was reading, especially about body image, and how we really feel about ourselves. Since this is a problem area for me, I will read it again, and probably a few more times during the journey.

I have had the best support system in place here at 3FC with whom I share the journey and accountability. The first thing I did to be accountable was to make public my weight. The second was making public my progress photos. Both were very hard to do, but it worked. Not only does it make me accountable to my peers, but more to myself.

My goals have been very specific from the beginning. I learned the advantage of setting specific goals long ago when I was in sales, and know they work as long as you persist, even through the rough stuff. I read my goals every morning, and think about specifically what I'm going to do that day. This includes preplanning my food on Fitday, and making appointments with myself to work-out and keeping them. My goals, which I have been doing all along are displayed here, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34676

By setting specific goals and having a plan, you've created a roadmap for the journey. But you also need to be flexible and know ahead of time that you may have to make changes or adjustments, and be mentally prepared for it ahead of time in the event of. You can't throw in the towel when you plateau for the first time, and you can't allow yourself to get discouraged when it happens again.

Two things Dr. Phil says in this chapter I've heard him say many times -
Understand that it is not possible for you to be overweight unless you have generated and adopted a lifestyle to sustain it. ~ You have chosen to live in a way in which no other result could occur.

AND

You cannot change what you don't acknowledge.

Have we done this to ourselves? Yes. And that's what we have to acknowledge, as hard as that is. And get to the root of it.

dip
Old 01-18-2004, 12:40 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 213/203/180

Height: 5'11"

Hi guys..boy have I had a hectic week. I have been really down in the dumps too, but things are looking up now.

The things that really hit me in chapter 2 are:

1. you can never, ever use weight loss to solve problems that are not related to your weight... Alot of us think that being thin will make us happy. I am guilty of this too. I have to remember that losing weight will just enhance life and extend it too, because I will be much healthier and fit. I will have the energy to do the things that I enjoy doing. But other areas of life must be dealt with separately.

2. If you have unrealistic expectations, you can and will fail In the back of my mind, I want to be the pencil thin girl of my youth. I need to remember that age and having 2 children changes things and my stomach will probably never be rock hard and flat as a pancake again. I actually felt terrible when I was so thin, I remember being a teenager and trying so hard to gain weight so that I would feel better and look better. I am not sure what my "comfort weight" is right now, but I hope that I will know it when I get there and not want to go to far.

3. You cannot be wishy-washy about your decision to get your weight under control, and you can't run hot and cold from one day to the next.
I am doing much better at this now, but still find myself saying " well, I have blown it today, I might as well finish the day pigging out and start over tomorrow" This is a no-no and must be stopped. If I slip up during the day, I must get back on track immediately and not wait for tomorrow.

I hope everyone had a great week and I will try not to be so late next week. The kids and dh are off tomorrow, so it will be a short week for them anyway.That is one day I won't have homework to deal with!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #33  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Hey everyone! I would love to move on to chapter 3 by the end of the week. So, I'm giving everyone the "heads up" to get through chapter 2 and post sometime before the weekend. Chapter 3 should be easy. It is basically about finding out if you are ready to begin. It might be a wasted chapter because if we are reading the book and have recommitted to Dr. Phil's program, I sort of feel like we have already made that decision.

I want to honor everyone's busy schedules, so I don't want to rush anyone if you really haven't had time to deal with chapter 2. Chapter 2 is a crucial chapter, and it is important to feel like you have covered it thoroughly. So, even if it is next weekend, if someone really needs more time, we shall wait for you. Just let us know what you need.

Hopefully we can zoom through chapter 3.

Take care one and all!

Summer
Old 01-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 213/203/180

Height: 5'11"

I am ready to move on whenever everyone else is. I am in no rush, just going with the flow.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #35  

Hi all,

Like Dip, I too discovered that I hadn't given this chapter its proper due the first time around. I think breaking the book down into chapters this time instead of keys will be really helpful for me--thank you Summer!

Here is some of what struck me in this chapter:

Reality check: you can never, ever, use weight loss to solve problems that are not related to your weight. Losing weight is not a cure for life.

This is tied to Key 2, and I know it is the "key" to my keeping this weight off permanently.

One of the most powerful ways to attain a more positive body image is to have realistic expectations about what you can achieve and then to set realistic goals to achieve them.

In the past I have set hard to attain goals--usually a goal to lose too many pounds per week--then been disappointed when I didn't reach them. This time I am focusing on my short term goals and have set what I believe are realistic goals given my lifestyle, exercise, etc.

Having specific, carefully mapped out, vividly envisioned goals is an absolute requirement for success. Without such goals, you will fail.

I have written a very specific winning outcome statement (Weight Watchers) about my weight loss goal and how I will achieve it that will help me to keep myself accountable. Any other Weight Watchers out there?

Have a trusted, loyal checkpoint person in your life to whom you require yourself to report on your progress. At least once a week, check in with this person and report on your compliance toward reaching your goals.

I hope we can all be checkpoint people for one another.

A tried and true formula fits here: BE--DO--HAVE. BE committed, DO what it takes, and you will HAVE what you want.

Sounds simple enough, right!? I honestly believe that we CAN help one another on this journey. I can't tell you how much having you here has helped me already!

Jo
------
205.2/200.8/135

Don't let yesterday’s disappointments overshadow tomorrow’s dream.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #36  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Jo, what a great posting! I thought I would check in before school, and I'm so glad I did. You inspired me to be "good" today. Thanks!

Summer
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #37  

Hi Jo! Those things were the exact same things that hit me but I was too lazy the other day to type it all out. I love it when we discover how much we all have in common!

dip
Old 01-21-2004, 10:02 PM   #38  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey gang....

I'm SOOO overwhelmed with life right now. I've started Ch 2 at least 3 different times. Go on without me. I'll catch up. There is soooo much going on right now with my school life (I teach.)and my REAL life (Mom to two sons. Wife too!).......once again I have no time for me. I'm exhausted when my head finally hits the pillow at midnight. I get up at 5.....and YET.....STILL.......

Excuses, I know, are lame. I'm just so over my head. This is NOT how I wanted this to be. Please don't count me out of this group yet! BUT, don't wait for me any longer! Chapter 2 is "heavy" and I must give it the time and attention it deserves....and right now I can't. whine whine whine....

thanks for "listening" and understanding.........
Robyn
Old 01-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #39  

Oh Robyn, do you ever need this book. So please don't give up. It's also about taking time for YOU, and getting done what needs to get done for YOU. And I understand just what you are going through, as many of us with families and jobs/careers.

One of the things that hit me up side the head when I read Dr. Phil's SELF MATTERS is that when I got married this time (2nd), I lost ME.

So please hang in. Yes, Chapter 2 is 'heavy' and even if you take 10 minutes of quiet time when you can to get through it, we'll be here for you to discuss, OK?

Best wishes,
dip
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 AM   #40  

Is it too late join in? I have just finished the book and am just kind of thinking it all over. I would love to use this board as a motivator.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #41  

Hi Daisy! I don't see why not. Most of us have already read the book, but we're rereading, chapter by chapter. Was there anything about Chapter 2 that hit home with you?

dip
Old 01-23-2004, 02:11 AM   #42  

Hi. I have been reading the posts and reading the book. I am on chapter 5. The 2nd chapter was a great eye opener for me. I always had trouble with goals but I see that I need goals. Attainable ones. I feel so much better when I hit a goal rather than feel like I am floundering. I am near my goal after losing 60 pounds but I need to find out why I usually gain back what I lose. I am determined not to do that this time around.
It is so true what Dr. Phil says about losing weight not solving unrelated problems. I feel much better but I still have unresolved issues in other areas.
Thanks for listening,
Terri
Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 AM   #43  

Hi Terri and welcome! Gotta get to the heart of those unresolved issues, for sure. Like Dr. Phil says, "It's not what you're eating. It's what's eating you." Got that one posted on my frig.

dip
Old 01-23-2004, 09:36 AM   #44  

Thanks. I have heard him say that. It is so true.
Thanks for the welcome.
Terri
Old 01-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #45  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Welcome Terri & Daisy!

I am knee deep in report cards, so I won't be posting until I am done.

Dip, feel free to start chapter 3 whenever you are ready.

Summer
Closed Thread