Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #61  

Ann, I had not heard of it. Looked up the web site, which of course directs you to buy the book. Then, I went to Amazon.com and looked it up. Ah-ha.
It's a psychological approach supposedly, but I read the synopsis and from what I gathered, it doesn't teach you anything new or different than what we have learned in WW meetings. At least that was what I got from it.
When tabbing down and reading reviews, there was one negative and one positive that I read. Interesting that the negative one said something like "This book talks about exactly what I've been doing since 1999 and the book has only been out a week".
I used to buy (and probably will do it again) each and every "new" fad type of book that comes out on weight loss/control. I keep hoping for that special magic solution. I have become very leery of all the new fads and since I have gone back and dedicated my life to the principles of WW, I just find the rest are almost all "followers" of what I have learned in my WW meetings over the years.
So, why am I not at goal and truly now a WW leader after saying that? Well, one must "practice what you preach" in order to get it right. I can read every single book that they come out with. I can go faithfully to meetings each and every week, but what really has to happen is for me to do it well.
I sure hope that I have found that right solution that works for me.
If you can imagine how many books, programs, meetings, gadgets and whatnot we've all spent money on over the years and yet HERE we are, still for the most part not happy with our weight.
Wouldn't it be nice if all the money we have spent on those books and other things was in our pockets and that we actually found a way, within our inner selves, to do it and do it right.
I sure hope I am on my way.
I hope I didn't come across as putting down this book/program, Ann. Because, you might be able to buy that book and if you really practice all the tips that are in it, just the same as if I really practice every single thing they tell me at WW meetings, you could finally achieve your goal.

Well, with that, here is my CORE plan for the day:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal, skim milk, 1/2 grapefruit

Lunch:
95% hamburger patty, ketchup
kidney beans
string beans

Dinner:
Either fish or lean roast port (not sure and I will head to the store after the gym)
asparagus sauteed in olive oil
either brown rice or baked potato, depends on what I pick up will have butter spray or ff sour cream

Snacks:
pear or banana, popcorn

I vow to drink ALL my water today!
Tomorrow is weigh in, I have my fingers crossed!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 11-05-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #62  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Wow, I guess I have been away for awhile. Wish I could say that I can report big losses while gone.... but I can say that there haven't been any big gains either! The candy issue is rediculous. I don't know how I haven't gained everything back with the amount of sugar that I have been consuming. I am going to avoid even one piece today. One piece has been leading to another and another lately and the cycle has got to stop. Barb, freeze that candy!!! It works pretty well, although I have discoved that it doesn't last a huge long time, the chocolate starts turning that funny shade of white. But it is nice in the winter to pull out a few treats for the kiddies, or use them in cookies. I put them in a freezer bag and try and get out as much air as possible. DH likes to pull out a couple pieces in the morning and by lunch time they are ready for consumption.

Yesterday I got a great workout. The kids and I stacked wood for the fireplace. We got a pretty good stack going and I was pretty sore last night. Took a long soak in the tub and so today I feel good. Did a couple of walks and a couple days of pilates last week. I lost my pedometer, I am really bummed, so I have to get another one. I wore it last week out for a walk and forgot I had it on. I am not sure where it came off, but I am pretty sure if it is in the road, it is toast.

I think I have caught up reading everyones posts. I am feelingfocused and ready to be on program. I still would love to see me drop those 10lbs by the end of the month... although I am thinking that may not be so realistic now. Maybe I need to change that to 5. At this point I will take 1lb this week!!

Everyone have a terrific day... I will enjoy today... tomorrow we may see snow.... the upper penninsula is expecting 6-12 inches
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #63  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 173/169/135

Height: 5'3"

Smile

Hi everyone, haven't been able to post in the past couple of days, I've been working evenings. all I seem to have time for is planning, preparing, eating and sleeping. that's life.
Linda- Glad everything went well the other day, and at least you only had 1 doughnut each time, could have been worse, you could've had a couple but you didn't ,and you counted them.
Ann- The closest border is Niagara, it's a bit of a drive. I've never gone across the border to shop, think I wll have to give it a try. Is there any good stores across that border? I wouldn't even know where to go.
Tech- Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try it later in the week. Hope you find work or figure out what it is you would like to do. It's great when one loves the work they do, as I do.
Barb- I would love the recipe, sounds delicious. I"m always looking for new ideas. I was never a big veggie eater, but am now. If you can believe it I only had squash for the first time last week, and love it.
Target- Oh how I envy you, I would love to have a wireless laptop. It would come in handy at work we have 6 clients per group home and I always work hard and fast, so if I have any emergencies I will be top of things, however if no one is sick and everyone's sleeping I can end up with an hour or two with not much to do on evenings or night shifts, a laptop would come in handy. Glad the move went well (sorry about your TV) Hope it all comes together for you. :good luck:
Well I have 2 more evening shifts and then off for 3. Weigh in is tomorrow, wish me luck. I have stuck to everything super well this week, but my scale isn't making me happy.
Hope everyone has a great day.... ,Lynn
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Anne-So funny you mentioned the Beck Diet. We our featuring her on an upcoming show and the producer just finished all of his work on the show so all of the books got handed over for me to read! I am very excited about reading them! From what I know of it already its all about learning a tool to help you with your diet. So it can be practiced alongside of WW! Unfortunately, our show does not air in Canada or I would tell you to view in!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #65  

Kim, good to hear from you again. Good idea to freeze that candy.
I almost brought what was leftover here to the church on Sunday for coffee hour, but DH has it in his private stash and I'm OK with that. I won't touch it there.
Lynn, can you cross the border and come back easily nowadays? Do you have a passport and do you need to bring it? Just wondering. All we used to need was a driver's license, but now things are very different. That's ok, though, I have no immediate travel plans. I do want to get myself and the kids passports after the first of the year, though. We should have them, DH has one already.
Briza, do let us know what those books are like when you've read them.
Well, I'm glad the day is winding to an end. I'm pretty tired. It was a generally busy day as well, but nothing really monumental was accomplished.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #66  
focused and aiming

Hi there, chickies. We worked about 7 hours outside today alongside David (hired man). I tell you when he's here Curtis and I work extra hard. That's a good thing. Today the temp was 80* so I got to work planting. I planted pansies, iris, daylillies, daffodils, violets, and something else that I can't remember what it is. I still have 3 rosebushes, a gardenia, and over 200 more bulbs to plant later this week.

Again--we are planning to go to WW in the AM. We haven't been in 2 weeks so it's time for us to get with it. I'll let you know what we find out.

Have a good evening, everyone. I'll be back tomorrow with a full report.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #67  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone.

Lynn, I usually go across to New York about once a month. I go to the Wal-mart superstore. I can get so many things I can't get here. I think they have Walmart superstores in Buffalo, Clarence, and Amherst, NY, Niagara falls, Ny. Just check on the wal-mart site for their superstores in your area.

Linda, when I do cross the border I just need my driver's licence and birth certificate. I haven't had any problem crossing. I usually do it about once a month. I just tell them I am going shopping at the border. When I come back I tell the Canadian border services how much I spent and they decide if I have to pay PST or GST on the stuff. They haven't made me pay it on groceries. I had to pay about 14.00 on my purchases of halloween stuff, and towels, of $100.00. I think they sent us in because my friend had spent about 400.00 on Christmas presents. Sometimes there are big lineups when you cross. I haven't had that problem yet. Thanks for reading about that book. I had read stuff on this site and wondered what it was about.

Briza/ You name is Jackie isn't it? That is funny that they are doing a show on that book. We have satelite tv so I wonder if I could get in on one of the us channels. When is it on and what is the show called? I can look for it.

Kim, how are you. The reason chocolate gets white on it after you take it out of the freezer is because you let it thaw at room temperature and not slowly in the fridge. If you put frozen chocolate in the fridge to let it thaw you don't get the white on it. I find if I don't let myself get hungry it is not a problem. When I am hungry I have mindless eating. It is too bad you lost your pedometer. I heard we might get snow on Wednesday here. Yikes, I do like snow.

Barb if you don't mind I would like that recipe. I do hope you have an awesome week.

Janelle, how are you. How was your weekend?

Sandra, with all that hard work, I am sure you will lose. It must be so nice doing all that stuff to your new "home". Enjoy

Laura, how are you doing? I hope all is well with you.

Donna, how is the job search going? I hope your week goes well.

Paige, how is Core? Is it easier than flex for you.

Hello Erica, how are you?

Hi everyone else. I hope everyone has a great week. Has anyone else heard at their meetings if something new is coming out with WW?
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 11-05-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #68  

Sandra, It's interesting that you were planting daffodils along with the rest of the things. Don't you need a cool winter time period to have them grow? Do your temps get down low enough for that to happen? You said it was 80 and the top temp here for the day was about 52 degrees. It's in the mid 40s now and nasty... rain and high winds.
I keep meaning to get out and rake leaves and whatever day I end up having time, the weather is terrible. Time to get to work!
Ann, I guess you make out well enough that paying tax on items, sometimes, at the border still makes it worthwhile to go? I know the value of your dollar is different than ours so maybe you make out well that way too? I presume if you use a debit card or credit card the transfer of cash is handled easily enough.
Well, It's weigh in day well. I still have my fingers cross. As of this morning, before eating anything I show myself as 147 (yesterday was 148), with nightgown and bathrobe on that might weight as much as my "official weigh in outfit". So, who knows if there will be any success? I never know. By the time I eat, drink, and the days goes by I end up such a different weight.
So, we shall see.

Today's eating plan: (I like planning out everything as I always did on FLEX as it's not just about points, it's about having a plan and sticking to it. It's about making sure all the healthy eating guidelines are met (yesterday I missed my oils and I took an extra flax oil capsule by dinnertime)

Breakfast:
3 egg white omelette, fat free mozzarella. With veggies sauteed in EVOO
1 slice of WW bread, toasted (not core, but a point for 2 of them and I'll only have one) with I can't believe it's not butter spray
one piece fresh pineapple (small)

snack: banana (going to a quilt meeting today and need something very portable)

Lunch: Progresso lentil soup, fat free cottage cheese
small pear
skim milk (seems to hold me better than just having water with lunch so I don't get hungry later in the day)
If I am still hungry after all of this will have some popcorn, I'm worried I'll be hungry afterwards.....

Dinner:
Turkey breast
baked sweet potato, margarine with butter spray
wax beans

Dessert:
Pumpkin custard (core) with light cool whip

All planned and I feel so good about that!
Have a fantastic Tuesday and good luck to those who are weighing in today!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #69  

Oh yes, here is the pumpkin custard recipe, it's totally CORE! I love it, by the way, it tastes pretty much like pumpkin pie - just with no crust!

Pumpkin/Squash Custard

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups pumpkin or squash -- cooked and pureed
2/3 cup Splenda (use a little more if you're using squash)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 whole eggs
9 ounces fat free evaporated milk

Mix pumpkin/squash, Splenda, and spices.

Add eggs and beat lightly.

Carefully stir in milk thoroughly.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes in a greased casserole dish
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #70  
newlifestyle

good morning all

Linda, I had the same thing as you for breakfast, just no toast. That pumpkin custard looks yummy. I was going to ask you for the recipe and then I read down and it was there. Thanks
Oh yes and thanks for posting what you eat each day, it gives me ideas...thanks
Even when our dollar was lower than the US dollar it was still a better deal for me to buy some things there, even paying taxes at the border. If I use my credit card there is no additonal fee. I also always have some US cash as we go at least once a month. I mostly buy things I can't buy here, like those chocolate or peanut fibre one bars. Danone yogurt, we have danone yogurt but not all the kinds you have there. you have a greater variety of 100 calorie snacks. I love the super wal-marts, as they are one stop shopping for me. I went over before halloween and got halloween stuff a lot cheaper there, than here. I know others who do all there grocery shopping over there.

Lynn, I just checked on the walmart site and they list all there stores and whether they are a super wal-mart or not. If you do go over go to a super wal-mart. They are awesome.

I am going for a run so I will be back later to post again.
Have an awesome day everyone.
Ann
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Good morning ladies!

I am very happy this morning because I ran a little bit longer then normal at the gym and also because I started reading the Beck Diet. She does not offer any suggestions on foods to eat or exercise to do, its all about the way we think. She asked a couple of questions in the beginning of the book and if you feel into any one of the categories she said her method could work for you. Um, I fell into ALL of them-so I am really looking forward to reading it. From what I gather from the first few chapters its about not letting us sabotage our diets (which I am really good at-so it should be hopeful)

Kim-No gaining is great and you should congratulate yourself for that! We cant loose every week (although I wish we could )
I hear you with the candy issue, there is a BIG bag of it in our kitchen at work which is only a few steps away...I haven't had a piece yet-so far so good. Freezing it is a good idea, I often forget it is in there when I do that.

Ann-Yes, my name is Jackie...I made my username after my kitty-ha! The show is on CNN and CN8-do you get either of these channels? It will not be airing until the end of December.

Is anyone a fan of yoga? I am thinking of trying it out, there is a studio by my work that offers a very good deal for new students.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #72  
Donna

Just popping in quick.

Linda - Just to answer your question about border crossings. Currently US Citizens need a photo ID and proof of citizenship (ie birth certificate) to re-enter the US after visiting other North American countries (Canada, Mexico some of the Caribbean) by land or cruise. Effective Jan '08, they will be required to have a passport to re-enter the US for all trips out of the country. Did that sound ridiculously complicated? Originally the date was for Jan '07 but the passport office got so backed up they postponed it. If you decide to go on a trip that requires a passport leave LOTS of time to get one. DH renewed his which usually takes 3-4 weeks, he paid extra to expedite it (he needed it for work) and it still took 5 weeks. Just an FYI. It is sort of funny though, with the new passport there is a RF tag inside that tracks your border crossings, and when dh got his back we went to Can for the afternoon and then 2 weeks later we cut thru Can on our way to NY, the Canadian customs agent checked the passports and then asked us when the last time we'd been to Can was, we found this a weird question but we answered "a couple of weeks ago wine tasting", this was operantly the right answer as he handed back our passports and let us go.

Ann - I can't believe you cross the border to go to Walmarts. I boycott them because of their policies towards women and minorities (ie latinos). If I have no choice I will go there but not normally. Sorry I'll get off my now.

Briza - I used to do yoga and really enjoyed it. I haven't been able to find a class in the area I can a) afford and b) like.

No diet stuff to report. I have been way off track eating and I'm trying to stay off my foot to let it heal a little (I need to go to a doctor) so no exercise. Maybe I'll get dh to bring in the trainer so I can ride indoors. Too cold to ride outside.

Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

Last edited by TechAlum; 11-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #73  

Ann, oddly enough, I didn't have the toast with my breakfast in the end so we had exactly the same thing today. I thought I'd try not to have it and then add it later if I was still hungry. In the end, I didn't want it.
Have those of you on CORE taken note that your appetite lessens a bit over time when you are really eating CORE for more than a week? I think all the fiber takes longer to work it's way thought your digestive system or something? When I am on Flex, I find myself starving mid afternoon and when on CORE, I'm maybe hungry enough to have popcorn or fruit, but that is enough until dinner. I'm not climbing the walls looking for snacks and trying desperately to fit them into my day. Maybe just knowing that I COULD have a piece of fruit or a glass of skim milk, or even popcorn or a smoothie, is enough. Maybe it's the feeling that I can't have anything for fear of going over on my points that makes me climb the walls all the more?
So, Ann, are there no super Wal-Mart's in Canada? Or just not in the area you live in? We have a Wal-mart in my town that is close enough for me to walk to, if the roads were not so busy, but it's not one of the super ones. The closest super WM is about 12 miles from here, I hardly ever go there. I find their produce poor, in particular. Yet, they do carry more of the WW foods, particularly those great little 2 point ice cream cups, I love the mint chocolate chip ones. Probably a good thing they are far way, considering that I couldn't resist them. : )
Briza, I like that name (Jackie isn't bad either, of course) and it's cute that you took it on as it is your cat's name. My name Derrydaughter is due to the fact that my maiden name is Derry. I like referring to myself that way as it's a connection to MY family vs. my married name. I may have a different last name now, but I will always be a Derrydaughter! : ) I chose that name long before my mom and dad passed away, and I am even more emotional about being Derrydaughter as it's a connection with them, I suppose?
Tech, I knew about the passport law for Jan 08, I guess, but I wondered what Canada's policy was about leaving and entering and if that will be the same from both sides.
I know a few people who boycott Walmart and I have to admit I am less inclined to shop there, than I used to be but I am of the opinion that the adverse publicity is more highly promoted than things truly are. I've actually asked people who work at Walmart if they like it there and what they think, and I've never heard a bad remark, not once. Interesting. However, when any large company is investigated, I would imagine you would find bad things about them. I like Target and Big K, for example, but they are a very long ride from where I live, plus the closest Target is in MA and we have to pay sales tax there vs. no tax here in NH.
By the way, just a short independent survey for no reason other than my curiosity.
Do you have sales tax in the place you live? (Candada or State?) and if so, how much.
In NH, there is 0 sales and 0 income tax. I wonder if we are the last holdouts?
I have been a good girl and on program today. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a loss today. I did go over by 2 points on my flex points, 37 vs. 35 this week. But, aside from that I was on CORE all week and did go to the gym 3 times. Will that push me towards a loss or not? We'll see.
My weight and the scales fluctuate so much, I have absolutely no clue until I get there... should be interesting.
I'm going to wear my official weigh in outfit even if it's miserable and rainy out... not the warmest clothing, but I want to measure my loss or gain with exactly what I had on last week. I'll bring a warm sweater to wear after I get weighed.
Why, oh why, do I let that silly scale dictate my happiness to me one day a week?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #74  
newlifestyle

hello all

Jackie, I do get CNN so if you let me know when it is on I can watch it. Thanks for the info. Also I would be interested in the basic concept of the book.

Donna, I hope your foot gets better soon and that you get back on track. All of us have a choice to make and you are in control of this if it is your choice. I heard this at my meeting yesterday. Not sure if I bought into it. I think it is easier said than done.

Linda, There are super walmarts here but we can't get all the products you get there. That is why I go there. I don't buy any produce or meat in the US. I buy that all here. I just buy anything I can't get here. I too have asked people at walmart if there jobs suck and I am always suprised that they do enjoy their jobs. I ask, do they treat you badly? They always laugh at me and have always denied it. I know all companies can be bad in certain areas as we are dealing with humans here and we all make mistakes.

I hope you all have a great day.
Ann

Have a great day all.

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 11-06-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #75  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Well, I think that our balmy fall weather has finally gone away. It has been a terribly windy and rainy/snowy day. The kids and I got out the winter gear this morning and I have the first fire of the season burning in the fireplace. As much as I love the winter, I am just not ready for it this year. We haven't had a "proper" fall so I think that I am just missing the usual transition from summer into this cold weather.

Today has been a good op day. I did eat some new potatoes for dinner that I was going to skip, but other than that I didn't eat anything naughty. Reading all your posts about core has got me thinking that I probably should give it a try too. I did South Beach a couple of years ago and I lost 25lbs. I was soooo proud. It was just hard to stick with it because my family are such carb eaters. Lots of white potatoes are consumed here. I am the only one who likes yams/sweet potatoes, so I end up cooking more food than I do when I am not watching carbs. But I know from experience, I loose much better when I don't eat them. I really need a personal chef. I think that would solve a lot of my challenges!!!

Tech, I didn't realize the the passport deal got postponed for that long. We need to get our passports at some point as DH is a big hockey fan and we occasionally can get tickets for games in Canada. As for Walmart.... it is a big dilemma in our house. DH doesn't like them because they support charter schools, and since he is a public school teacher it causes some issues. However, being a family of 5, we tend to spend a lot on groceries and they truely have the best deals on things like cereal, of which my kids can eat about 4 boxes a week. (And I don't buy the sugary cereals, only the more pricey "healthy" kinds.) I try and watch for deals at Meijers and Kroger (which is rediculously expensive) and shop there whenever I can, but it is hard knowing that if I go to Meijer, I'll spend about $50 more than I do at Walmart.

Briza, I haven't done much yoga, (my neighbor just asked me to take a class with her interestingly enough!) but I do enjoy pilates, which is similar but different I just have to be sure and get some cardio in because it really doesn't get my heart rate up and I know that I need to do that too.

Linda, Here in Michigan we have both state and sales tax. Sales tax is 6% and State is I think at 4.9% or something like that. We just had a big budget crisis and part of the balancing dance that the gov did was to increase the state tax to something like 6%, but there is some more "dancing" that is being done at the capital and so it hasn't gone into effect yet. Our state is in a bit of a crisis right now. Unemployment is way above the national average and the housing market is in the toliet. We are loosing people out of the state by the truck load. No one can get decent work and so they are transfering out of the state. It is a sad sad situation. I know 2 friends right now who have college degrees and can't get a job. 2 years ago when I was looking for a job I found that people with degrees higher than mine were taking jobs that I was qualified for because they couldn't find anything they were qualified for. Its crazy.

Ann thanks for the info about the chocolate. I'll have to remember to put it in the fridge. Of course, I am such an idiot, I'll just eat it frozen and then I don't worry about the color! (yeah it is terrible for my teeth, but I just don't tell my dentist!!)

Well, but quiet time is over. The kiddies only had a half day today and Thursday and Friday they have off... conferences. Already have mine done so I am glad for that. Everyone is doing great. I have really good kids, I am truely blessed. So I am off to get everyone showered and into bed. Hi to everyone. Have a nice night. Hope you are warm wherever you are!!
Kim2
Closed Thread