Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Default WW magazine readers

I bought the Nov/Dec issue and have to say I'm fairly impressed with the content. When I was on WW before, I thought the magazine was a little thin for the price, but feel I really got my money's worth this time. Do any of you subscribe, and is it always this good?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/191/155

Height: 5 FT- 5 INCHES

G,day Jane I don,t suscribe but I have bought the last three issues and they are definately better than they were even last year, more info more success stories great recipes. I,m from downunder and the one I get here is good, can,t weight for the next issue.

Nice to meet you Jane.

Julie
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

I looked for one at the store the other day but they didn't have it . I had also not liked it much when I got it a few years ago. Hoping for a lot of great WW info and recipies I was dissapointed to get a very small mag. with loads of ads in it and not much content. That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago? Not sure when it was.

I will look for the new issue and give it another go
Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Julie - well then, it's not just my imagination, lol. I am going to try some of the recipes at Thanksgiving, and doubt my family will be able to tell they are "lite". Nice to meet you, too!

Sweet Tea - I hope you find an issue, because there seems to be so much in this one that's helpful. Lots more articles and info - I think you'll like it!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #5  

Hi Sweet Tea, about 3 or 4yrs ago was when I bought a copy as well and was dissapointed but they have come along way since then, they even have mens success stories as well which my DH enjoys he reads some of my weight loss mags but he likes WW because he can relate he isn,t overweight by much maybe 7lb but the articles are interesting. Jane you right the fam will not know the difference I use my DH as a guinea pig and he can,t tell from the lite version or the heavy one.

Julie
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Cool ! I will look for one this weekend.

I have buying Shape magazine recently and it has been way better than I remember it being in the past. Not full of wafer thin models and full of diet fads. The workout info was really useable and practical.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #7  

Yeah some of the mags are all adds and not much else I get one here in oz called slimming and health it is brilliant and WW,s is on par with that so sometimes I get one of each. I think you can never have to much info or motivation. I don,t know if we get Shape downunder I,ll have to check it out.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I've subscribed for the past 2 years and yes, it definitely has gotten better. I just got the new issue in the mail a day or two ago but haven't looked at it yet. I am going to get my 3 sisters a gift subscription for Xmas, we are all doing WW together.

Has anyone seen the pumpking pie recipe featured on the website? Points value per slice is only 3 points. The crust is made of phyllo dough. I can't wait to try it.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #9  

G,day mele I haven,t see the recipe but I,m going to check it out sounds Yum. How great you and your sisters are doing WW together and a good idea on the Xmas pressy idea my daughter is a bit overweight and I would like to do something like that for her but if I even mention her weight she freaks. I like your chinese proverb I saw it in my aussie slimming and health mag and I thought it was very profound.

Juls
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

The pumpkin pie recipe sounds very interesting. If it isn't among our recipes here, I'll bring it over. I think the Chocolate Peppermint Layer Cake (picture on pg 104) is something the family would go for at Christmas.

Julie - yep, I agree, we can't get too much info or motivation.

mele - I like the quote, too! Seems the Chinese have a lot of good ones. One of my faves is "After me, you first". It sounds sort of selfish, until you realize they mean we have to take care of myself before we can take care of others. Kind of like how the airlines have you put your own oxygen mask on before you put your kids' masks on them.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #11  

I agree Jane the chinese do have some good proverbs but I think I would find it hard to put myself first Iv,e been putting everyone else first for pretty much all my life old habits die hard. Hey bummer we don,t have the peppermint layer cake in our WW mag but there are some yummy looking Hazelnut chocolate truffle balls that I,m going to try and they are only 1 point each. I like your saying to Jane something I,m going to take on board I,m a confirmed comfort eater and it is true it doesn,t solve the problem just creats another one.

Julie
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #12  
GmaTo8

Julie - Do you mean the one in my signature? I have to think of that when I get flustered, bored, tired, etc. It has helped me, and I hope it helps you.

Last edited by Jane; 11-11-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I bought the November/December issue this month and thought it was pretty good. I am also planning on using a few of the recipes for Christmas meals.

The WW magazine is one of the few mags that I buy on a regular basis. : )
Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #14  

I think I,ll try their Chrissy dinner in the one here downunder they have a 3 course meal for only 14 1/2 points gotta be happy with that.

JULS
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #15  
GmaTo8

Is this the recipe you are talking about? Sounds great!

Pumpkin Pie

from Weight Watchers International

Desserts

Was POINTS® Value: 8
Now POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Pumpkin pie doesn't have to weigh you down. Our lightened-up version is the perfect ending to your Thanksgiving meal.

Ingredients

* 4 sprays cooking spray
* 4 sheet phyllo dough
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp ground cloves
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* 1 tsp cornstarch
* 1/8 tsp table salt
* 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, puree
* 1 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
* 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
* 1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

* Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch round pie pan with cooking spray.

* Cut phyllo sheets in half. Place 1 sheet in prepared pan and lightly coat with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of phyllo, placing corners just to the right of the previous sheet's corners. Repeat with remaining sheets to form a circle. Press layered phyllo into pan and roll in edges. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

* Whisk together brown sugar, spices, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg substitute and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients.

* Pour filling into crust. Bake until set, about 50 minutes. (Cover crust edges with foil during baking if they are becoming too brown.) Cool completely before cutting into 8 pieces.

Chef Tips

* We renovated Pumpkin Pie by:

o Replacing a butter-laden crust with layers of light, crispy phyllo dough.

o Using fat-free egg substitute instead of whole eggs.

o Using vanilla extract for sweetness.

Last edited by Jane; 11-04-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Closed Thread