Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #1  

Exclamation Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and I keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.
So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #2  

Hi all!

I'm having a really hard time being good up here. It's mainly because the foods around are not ww friendly. I'm not snacking at all, but the things that we are having for b, l, and d are just not what I would normally choose to have at home. Not to be complaining, though! I'm really trying to use portion control...maybe I'll find that I'm doing better than I think? I hope so. I am feeling so bloated. My sister and her family are leaving today, then it will just be me and my dds here, and we will be leaving tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that I'll be able to stay completely op tomorrow and Thursday, as my wi is Thursday. At this point I'm just praying that I have stayed the same! I think I'm also going to challenge myself to try to stay op today, too, but it's going to be difficult because I have no idea on point values.

Tracy-I was going to ask you about your Nickelback concert...I wasn't sure if you had gone yet or not. We saw them in TN back in the fall. OMG, they were incredible!!!!!!! We had amazing seats and backstage passes (my BIL who plays for the Titans has connections!)...I couldn't hear for a week!!! Were they performing at the Pepsi Arena?

Anyway guys, I must run. I hope you are all having a great and successful week!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #3  

hello everyone,
Newlifestyle: Wow, I am so excited for you that is excatly what I wanted to do at my gym but it is so expensive I may set up something with the nutritionist when I get paid at the end of July. You will have to keep me posted on that.

Paige: I think you should be proud of yourself that you are at least using portion control sometimes for me that is one of the hardest things to do when I am around off plan foods. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #4  

Ann, thanks for your remarks about my relationship with my daughter. I think of her as my best friend in many ways, and I hope she feels that way about me. We don't always get along perfectly, but I think we do better than the average mom/teen?
The fact that she does communicate so well with me gives me hope that she would be OK on such a trip as long as I spell out to the parents, and maybe also to the girl, what I expect. She will also be required to check in with me, via her cell phone, once or twice a day to keep me advised about what goes on. I'll be telling the mom and dad that as well.
As for today, it's weigh in day. I'm going to risk going to the gym as when I went away last week, I wasn't able to go. If I have a gain due to my muscles expanding and heating up, I'll never know for sure. But, I feel the exercise is beneficial and given that I did "cheat" when we ate out last week, I feel that I need the exercise more than I need the scale to show me a loss.
Who truly knows if working out and the day of a weigh in is going to make you show a gain anyway? Next week will be my "true" weight, I feel, due to the fact that I am right back on program now and being truly careful. I'll drink some extra water this morning, having asparagus with lunch and hope for the best. I will mix a tad of low cal cranberry juice with my water as well, cranberry is a natural diuretic as well as asparagus, so maybe that will counter act the working out? The meeting is at 4:30, and I will shut off all drinks and eating after lunch as well.
I'm going to create my own low point chicken cacciatore kind of thing for dinner tonight. I have frozen roasted tomato and garlic sauce made from one of my WW cookbooks that I will use as the base. I plan on cutting up big pieces of onion, mushroom and peppers and kind of simmering them with boneless chicken breasts. I'll be putting that over top of whole wheat pasta. In fact, I might toss it all in my crockpot right after lunch as that might not heat up the kitchen so much and will use less energy than the stove top.
Ann, as you indicated, it's going to be a hot one here today as well. The expected temps will be in the mid to high 90s with scattered thundershowers. I hope we don't lose power. Several communities in NH lost power yesterday, there are downed trees in some towns. I'm hoping that we escape that as I'd like to keep my AC going if possible. I'm trying to keep it on and off throughout the day on a lower level than usual, though, in order to conserve energy.
I'm on a "kick" to do anything I can to conserve power use of all kinds. I shut off my car engine at stoplights if there are no cars behind me, I won't let my engine idle if I am waiting for someone, for example. I'm turning off lights that are not necessary all the time and consolidating my errands. I hope there is an impact in my usage by doing this. I hope that many people do this, and that collectively we can all make a difference! I've even started paying the additional few cents a gallon (ouch!) for high test gas for my car as the manufacturer recommends it for better fuel economy. So, whatever I can do, I will try! Next car I buy will also be better on fuel economy, but I have 16 months left on my lease so it will be awhile.
Gosh, by turning off the car and walking into the bank vs. going to the drive up window, I can earn activity points as well as save fuel, everyone wins!
Have a great and safe day, all!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #5  

Paige, I'm sure you're doing better than you think you are. But, if not, family visits and vacations happen. They are part of life, aren't they? I keep trying to remind myself about this being a "lifestyle change" and not a race of some kind. Losses may be gradual as life happens all along with what we are doing, we can't avoid those birthdays, vacations, family visits (I'm going to my in laws in RI this coming weekend). What we have learned, so far, are coping mechanisms. As we are like toddlers, taking our first steps, while we work towards our goals, there are going to be "falls", but we are not giving up on "walking", we just need to dust ourselves off and keep trying.
Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
Haylo, you are right, portion control is tough. I have a hard time with that when eating out, too. I may not be perfect when I am away or eating out, but I have to remember that I am, at least, doing better than I have done in the past. I need to remind myself of that.
So, even if today's weigh in shows me a gain (I'm truly not sure and I could even have a teeny loss, just so hard to know as their scales and the time of day show differences) I know I made good decisions during LOTS of the time I was away even if the few times I ate were not the best of choices. However, I had completely CORE and low point breakfasts and lunches. There were no chocolate chip cookies baked, so I didn't gorge myself on the dough and eat cookies. There were no pies and cakes made, so I didn't have those with ice cream as I would have had in the past. One lunch, which I actually found enjoyable (just goes to show my tastes have changed a bit over time) consisted of pita bread (one point), hummus, broccoli, salad and fresh pineapple. The salad had healthy oils (measured even!) and I was "satisfied". The combination of spreading a bit of hummus on the fresh broccoli really was tasty, I found. The old me would have made grilled cheese sandwiches and had chips along side and then a cookie or two for dessert. I'm changing, I'm doing this at my own pace and things are getting better!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Tracy-Happy birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day!

Ann-That is really excieting that you met with a trainer and a dietician. Is that included in your gym membership or do you have to pay separate? I wish I could do that.

Linda-It sounds like you have a great daughter. That is great that she doesn’t allow herself to fall into peer pressure. If anything, it sounds like your daughter will influence her friend to not “act out.” If it eases your mind any-Ocean City is a dry town.

Paige-that Is great that you are handling portion control so well-you should be proud of yourself for that.

As for me-I went to my dress fitting and it was not good. The dress is too tight and I don’t understand since I ordered a size up from the one that I tried on in the store (that fit) and I know I couldn’t of gained THAT much weight. What was the most frustrating was that when I had the dress on the woman who was doing the alterations could not speak English very well but she could say, its too tight, its too tight over and over. Which really didn’t help the situation. The good news is that its tight in my bust-so I guess things could be worse-it could be tight all over. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that after the alterations it will fit ok. I am so nervous to walk down the isle in my best friends wedding and look like a sausage. A friend of mine has given me a new “diet” to do for the weeks before the wedding. She used to be a trainer and even though she is awesome shape so I believe that she says will work. Its basically all protein, veggies, and no carbs or sodium. Its not WW but it will get me lean in time for the wedding. And just cardio-no weights-but I think I am going to add in light weights just 2 days a week. My boyfriend and my mom thinks it’s a bad idea though. What do you ladies think? Its only 3 weeks away.
I got up this morning and went to the gym-ran 5 miles and it felt good! It’s a great way to start off the day.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #7  

Briza, be careful of fad or bizarre diets. But, give what your friend says a shot, I guess. Are you bloated right now? Is TOM on it's way? That makes a difference as well.
Have you ever tried the "American Heart Association" fad diet that was passed around years ago with the statement "lose 10 pounds in 3 days"? It's supposedly a science that relies on a mix of exact foods. You have to eat exactly what the diet says, with nothing in between meals supposedly. I did it a few times, in desperation, and it did work. I didn't lose 10 pounds, but I think I lost 6 pounds. I couldn't stay on it constantly and just rotate on and off it and I truly don't think it's that healthy, we all know that a program like WW is what is best for us. But here is a link to it:
http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../1990069001001
I'd give this a shot when you know you have no specific plans to be eating out for three days in a row. It is truly NOT an American Heart Association product, and if you check out their web site, they have a disclaimer as this particular diet has circulated for YEARS. The first time someone gave me this diet, was when I was about 30 and I'm now 52. It was passed around well before the Internet, and it's still "out there" and people are still recommending it.
Also, go to a really good lingerie shop, like Victoria's Secret and ask for a reduction bra that will give you a flatter silhouette, then the dress won't appear too tight in the bust line. Tummy control pantyhose and things that my mother used to wear such as "panty girdles" (ugh!) can help as well. Go and get this stuff before your next fitting. Keep working out and following your healthy eating guidelines, drink tons of water and you should be OK.
One thing I learned over the years is that not all sizes from certain manufacturers are exact. They hire different seamstresses for "contract work" and they all have different machines and their ability to maintain a "seam allowance" changes considerably from seamstress to seamstress, so it is logical that the dress you got, even after trying on one particular one in the store is different.
I hope some of these suggestions work for you! Best wishes!

I wouldn't EVER stay on this diet for any length of time, but if you are desperate, I'd give it a go.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #8  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

So far so good today. Too much coffee, but I work with this one tenor who always wants tons of coffee so I end up drinking it with him. At least it's all with skim milk and Splenda. I'll be running again tomorrow. Between writing symphony program notes, working on the scrapbook, and singers, I am beat. Hope I don't succumb to fatigue-induced emotional eating ...

Briza - You are doing great! I know what you mean about exercise. But great job on the 5 miles!!!

Ginny - hope your head feels better!

Tracy - Happy Birthday!! Glad you enjoyed the concert!

Ann - your meeting with the dietitian and trainer sounds very cool. It's true, running really boosts your metabolism! Yes, we fly to Newfoundland. We drove there once but it just took way too long and the ferry made DH super sick.

Linda - I have been to Bonavista and it is truly gorgeous!! Well done being back on core ... I bet it feels great. No matter what today's weigh-in shows, for sure you are on the right path. You are really giving this trip of your daughter's a lot of good thought and it shows how much you care about her. I think that she will be just fine because clearly she has received a strong foundation from you and her family ... even if weird stuff happens on the trip, at 17 she will know what to do. But you are wise to find out as much as you can.

Paige - I think you are doing as well as you possibly can under the circumstances ... that is great!! Only a couple more days and you will be in control of the menus again, yay!

OK everyone - have a terrific Tuesday evening and I'll see you all tomorrow after my run

cheers
Erika
Old 07-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #9  

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to check in quickly. I've done ok so far today...haven't really even ate much, actually. I'm a little anxious to get back home tomorrow. After vacation at the shore and then coming up here almost right directly after, I'm kind of ready to get back to the "norm." I have a dd's bday cake for Saturday waiting to be done, though, when we get back! That kid manages to get her bday celebrated 4 times, can you believe it?! We're doing a luau theme for her, so I have a ton of gumpaste hibiscus flowers that I need to make when we get back tomorrow. At least that keeps me busy so I won't be eating!!!

Anyway...I feel so out of touch with everyone here! It makes me so sad! That is another reason I'm anxious to get back home...I can get back into my morning ritual of coffee and computer time.

Gotta run! Hope everyone has had a great...umm....what is today? Tuesday?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #10  

Erika, thanks for your comments about this trip for my daughter. It's such a tough situation. I truly don't want her to go, but she wants to very much and my husband says to just let her go. I'm the overprotective one!
Paige, I know exactly what you mean about getting back to norm. I'm grateful for eating at home this week and being on program. It's really easy to be thrown off. You'll be fine when you get home.
Today, I weighed in and gained, sadly, 1.4 pounds. I'm OK with it, as I know what I did wrong over the last week. I ate out three times and was especially bad one night, even having dessert. It felt good to have certain foods without worry that one night and things certainly could have been worse. I also went to the gym today and did almost an hour of cardio. I was on the elliptical (that is hardest for me, only five minutes), then the exercise bike and then the treadmill. I figure I earned two points, but it could have been more. I'd rather count less than more than I should.
So, I wonder. If I had not gone to the gym would I have had a loss or less of a gain? I know exercise can expand the muscles and make them hold fluid. So, who knows? Next Tuesday, I will not go to the gym on weigh in day.
Today's meeting was a good one. I kept thinking of Erica (where are you?) our resident WW leader. I wondered if you, Erica, learned from this week's topic of dealing with plateaus. I learned, and I also relaxed a bit about my own situation and how I've dealt with it. Maybe I'll be better at dealing?
I set two goals for myself during this week. One will have to wait until after the weekend is over with, which is to make more Garden Vegetable Soup (a big batch!) and have it in individual serving sized containers in my freezer. The other goal is to find (HELP!!!!) a fantastic low point dessert to make and bring down to my in laws when we go over the weekend. We always have appetizers, drinks, a nice dinner and a dessert when we go there. I truly want to have a loss on Tuesday. So, I need a plan! Any truly wonderful dessert recipes out there that non-WW people can't tell is a WW dessert? I'd say about 5 or 6 points per serving would be OK. Any brilliant ideas?
Also, I plan on heading the gym each day this week until the weekend and when I go to RI, I plan on swimming!
Well, have a great evening everyone!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #11  
LeylandMiniChick

S/C/G: 211/199/132

Height: 159cm

hi everyone
im currently on the points program, mind if i pop in now and again?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #12  

Swae85, welcome and no problem if you pop in!
How long have you been on the program and are you having any problems?
I see you are from Australia and we have another person who chats with us named Emma who is from there too! So nice to have another person "down under".
Our thread is rather quiet this week, many are busy and on vacation. You'll see very quickly that there usually is lots of chat. I adore all the people here and we, I think, have really helped each other.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #13  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone.
Today is so hot already this morning, once again.
I do hope you all have a wonderful day.
I will post later when I have more time.
I just wanted to say good morning.
Welcome Swae.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry that I've been so MIA and seemingly inconsistent with my posts here in the last couple of weeks. Truth be told, I just haven't been on program, and don't feel my normal inspiration to post. I continue to lead weekly meetings while just trying to hold on. I did set a goal for myself for the week. Yesterday I put my home scales away, I plan to not weigh myself and track everyday. On Tuesday, I'm going to be a leader at my "home meeting" where my true judgement scales are located. My goal is to weigh 163 on those scales. That would bring me back to the "30lb. loss" mark. I'm living up to my truth that the summer time is the hardest time for me to lose weight. I did really good yesterday, and last night I binged on sweets, bad, bad. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #15  

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. Today I am going to see the new Harry Potter movie in Imax 3D I am so excited I love harry potter books and movies. I have been a little off eating this week. I have been helping my aunt plan for her brother's fiances bridal shower so we have been on the go go go and eating out for the past two days. I just can't seem to get on track, hopefully today and the rest of the week I can keep on plan.

Erica: good luck with your meeting, I know what you mean about being on track.

Newlifestyle: have a good day today.

swae85: welcome

Paige: I know what you mean about getting home it's always nice to get away but after a while you start missing your home routine. Have a good day!

Derry: Did you ever get a chance to talk to your daughter's friends mom? I hope talking to her makes you and made you feel more comfortable. Funny you mentioned about the soup I was thinking of making some of that it's just so hot I don't know if I want soup. Low point desserts I am sure we can come up with something if I get a chance today I will look something up. Sorry about your gain but at least you know where it came from. I too always contemplate the working out thing I still haven't gotten a complete handle on it of balancing out excercise and eating to much or too little.
Closed Thread