Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #76  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies - well it's been another busy couple of days but the program notes are all DONE!! So now I can relax a bit, and concentrate on getting ready for our trip to newfoundland. i am hoping I can keep the momentum going for the 2 weeks at the in-laws. Does anyone have sneaky suggestions for staying w/in the points limit without obsessively checking the computer or lists on my Palm??? don't tell me ... it's all about portion control

Ran/walked again this morning ... week 3 day 2 complete. I plan to keep running in NF too ... this has worked ok in the past - there's a treadmill and also I love things like gmap-pedometer and mapmyrun.com. Thanks for reminding me Erica! I had a good lunch made up of leftovers - a baked potato with burrito filling, salsa, sour cream (ff) and cheese. Yum! 6.5 points and so filling!

Wow, I have missed SO much in the past couple of days.

Welcome to Paige2!! i have been married 13 years as well

Big hugs to (((Emma))) and (((Briza))) and I hope you are feeling better ... keep posting and sharing with us!

Erica - WTG on your firm recommitment to the plan ... so inspiring!

Paige (Paige1??) - finances are such a bugbear in our lives but you are so right to maintain WW as a priority for yourself.

Cathy - Congrats on your weight loss and WTG on your excellent exercise efforts (EEE!)

Hugs to Linda, Ann, Ginny and anyone else I missed.
ttyl
Erika
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good Morning everyone,
Wow, so nice to see so many new people here!

Paige2, welcome! That was interesting to read your "weigh-loss history", it's amazing how life just gets in the way sometimes isn't it? It sounds like you really know how to lose the weight, so you're already well on your way.

Paige- That recipe sounds really good, I'm going to have to try that. It's so true what you said about people brushing off the whole planning for the day thing. I use to totally brush that off! But I think back to when I did WW like about 13 yrs. ago, that was how it was, all menus and you had to stick to it like glue, and I was pretty successful at it back then. I even went so far as to put times down for my snacks, b/c I know that at 10AM and 4PM, I am ravenous. I make myself wait until I get to that time to have my journaled snack. It makes me feel hunger and like I've "earned" the snack. Yes, I'm relieved that I'm back to my old self again too, I was feeling pretty whacked out for awhile. I think I could probably be classified (at times) as having a problem with bingeing, but I don't purge it.

Erika-not sure if I said Hello to you yet or not.... Sounds like you've got a great plan for your upcoming vacation. You can't go wrong with drinking a ton (more than usual) of water (as one of your vacation goals). I remember I went to visit my younger sister in Washington DC back in January, I was drinking so much water as one of my "vacation goals" that I was actually annoying my two sisters and mother because we had to consantly stop for bathroom breaks. Oops!

Well, I should go for now, hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #78  

Wow, tons of posts to read here! Oh goody! I love it when we all get really chatty!
Ann, what a great thing to be seeing a dietician. Does your health insurance pay for this, or do you pay privately? I wish I could afford it or have insurance that would pick up the tab. I do think there is something to the not eating two hours before bed thing. I hardly ever have time to watch Oprah on TV, but that was one of the things she also felt was key to her own weight loss. We've all seen so much of her struggles with weight over the years. I am so proud of her, how hard it must be to do everything like that publicly. Yet, maybe having the public watching is more of a key to her overall success, if you think about it? Think about how we fret over our own weekly weigh ins in front of someone on the scale, I can't imagine having millions of people aware of my success or failure!
Briza and Emma, I've been thinking of you both throughout my days lately and I hope things are going well. Ann said something very important, Briza, about how in your heart you probably know what is right.
Erica, so glad that journaling in the AM seems to be working. I do find that writing out exactly what I plan to eat for the day is really excellent for me. If I make a plan, bother to write it out and plan exactly how many points it all will be, I generally stick with it. Today, I am meeting my two childhood friends for lunch, by the way. We are going to a Cracker Barrel. It's right off the interstate exit about halfway between our respective residences, so a very good meeting place. I find those restaurants to be dangerous and can't be trusted with their menu. So, what did I do? Well, I went to Dottie's Weight Loss Zone and printed the menu choices and points, folded them up and put them in my purse. I will not read their menu, I will read Dottie's menu instead and order by points. Chicken tenderloins with brown rice and carrots are sounding good. Their green beans (I learned this the hard way) are not good as they arrive swimming in bacon fat with bits of bacon in them. I shall probably ask them not to bring me rolls and order diet soda. When they order dessert, and they often do, I'll maybe ask for one of their side orders of fruit with de-caff coffee and milk to go in it. I hope I do OK. This time, I have a plan. A plan is an awesome thing to behold. If you plan ahead and you are prepared for a challenge, maybe that is the key to it all.
I wonder how many restaurants (locals I know I can) I could walk into and ask to NOT see a menu and order what I want, prepared the way I want it? If the menu doesn't tempt me, perhaps that is key? Just thinking "out loud".
Erica, I hope that planning the day ahead thing also works for your members, keep me posted. Erica, I too have trouble denying myself anything at bedtime. But, maybe we should try fruit based "desserts" vs. ice cream based desserts (WW bars, even) or wine, etc. as our after dinner treats? I expect a treat at the close of the day, darn it! My family ALL has their own treats and I can't just sit there with nothing while they have these great things. It seems so unfair and when I feel cheated, I then cheat and then the tumbleweed affect happens. When I feel deprived/cheated, that is when I lose control.
Erica, I know ham and I know the gym exercise situation well, that is probably what affected me this week at weigh in. My daughter adores ham and my husband doesn't like ham all that much. I try to have ham when DH is away and also try to plan it for the one or two days after weigh in, so then I have time for the water weight to go away. I am very susceptible to water gain, I think. That could be part of the 2.4 pound gain this week, but who truly knows? I did work out many times of the last week. I tried to do only cardio work in the two or three days before weigh in and the day of my weigh in, I skipped working out. By the way, I haven't had Chinese food in perhaps about 3 or 4 months. Every time I ate it, I would have a significant gain. I love the stuff, but I hate what it does to my body.
Erica, you've got it where the planning/journaling ahead thing is concerned. Way to go! So, if there is a 7 point lunch planned and you find yourself stranded away from home and you are starving, where can you then find a 7 point lunch in your average town? Why, believe it or not, MacDonald's, of course! I know a plain hamburger is 6 points, a side salad can be had with a very low calorie dressing and if you only use a little bit of it, it would be 7 points, I think! That, with a diet coke, can fill you up and keep you going. Their grilled chicken salad is also pretty good, I forget the points for it but I think it's ok. You have to be careful to order the grilled chicken that is not breaded as their wording on the menu can be confusing. I can walk into a Subway shop and get a 6 point sandwich as well, anytime. I can walk into a D'Angelos (not sure you all have them) and get a 5 point grilled veggie pocket and add cheese for 2 points and have a very satisfying lunch. We are in control.
I am proud of you, Paige, I just read your comments and you seem so very much in control. Planning ahead can also save you money! I will often review my kitchen cabinets as well as freezer/refrigerator and write out a week's worth of menus. I try to utilize what is on hand vs. buying new stuff. Food costs are way up and it's really hard to support a family on all of this. Lately, I've been dipping into savings to pay bills way too often and it's truly time to be conservative. I am also doing what is called "eco-driving" as I have mentioned before. I shut off my engine whenever I can and "coast" when possible. I consolidate my errands as well. Gosh, if I lived a teeny bit closer to the gym, my warm up and cool down could be walking there! Maybe I should drive halfway there, park the car, walk the rest of the way, do my circuit training and then walk back to the car on nice days?
Paige2, welcome! What a coincidence that you have the same name as "our" Paige, I've never met a Paige in my life and now there are two of you here! Cool!
Well, my one suggestion to you, after reading your story (which I can totally relate to) is the last remark you made... something like "I've only dieted three times in my life". A WW leader would slap you on the hand (not literally, of course) and tell you that you are not dieting. You are changing to a better lifestyle that will hopefully stick with you for the rest of your days and you will never find yourself in a position to "diet" again. Keep going to meetings, this takes many of us ages before it truly sticks in.
Sometimes all of these things take us a great deal of time and we ALL backslide from time to time.
Cathy, you are on the right track. I went cold turkey years ago when I quit smoking. I was driving in my expensive new car, a Saab, and flicked a cigarette butt out the window, or so I though. It actually was suctioned into the back window of the car that I had cracked for air as I drove along and it laid on my upholstery and burning a hole in the seat of the car. I flicked cigarettes out the window as I hated the smell of a full ashtray in the car. That ruined a fairly new car for me. But, I continued to smoke.
Then, (always in the car, I guess) I also dropped a burning cigarette in my lap while driving and burned a hole in a $200.00 silk skirt that had been my "gift" to myself for being named a bank officer and I was feeling good about myself. This was the first day I had worn that gorgeous skirt.
I gave myself a stern lecture about what an idiot I was being. I smelled like cigarettes, I was sure, I destroyed my new skirt and my new car by being careless and I threw the cigarettes away and have never had one since then. I learned a lesson, and I am always glad I made the decision. Once I made the decision to quite, I never looked back.
Paige, the chicken recipe sounds great! I might give it a try.
EriKa, a sneaky idea to stay in control might be to always only allow a certain number of points for each meal. So, if you say that breakfast is ALWAYS 4 points and lunch is ALWAYS 6 points then you know you have 10 left for dinner and a dessert. If you fit in any low point snacks in between meals, they are always flex points. That could work while traveling to keep you more in line. Then, if you allow yourself 3 flex points a day for snacks, you will have used 21 points out of 35 by the end of the week. The remaining 14 points and any you earn by exercising could be Saturday night splurge points, especially for a glass or two of wine!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 07-19-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #79  

Good morning everyone!

Today is wi. I think I probably will stay the same? I did really well yesterday, and woke up feeling really thin (don't you love that feeling?!) but when I stepped on my scale, it hadn't changed. I normally go to the 5:30 wi, but I just checked the weather and we are supposed to be getting very severe thunderstorms this afternoon into this evening, so I think I'll go to the 12pm meeting instead. I wish I had checked sooner; I would of eaten breakfast earlier so I'd have more time between when I ate and when I wi. I still have
2 1/2 hrs, so hopefully that will be good enough. Going to the earlier meeting also means I'll have to drag dds with me...I really hope they will sit through it ok. I've only been able to run in and wi the past 3 or so weeks, so I'd really like to stay today.

Anyway...I need to go hop in the shower. I will check in later on and address everyone. Hope everyone has a fantastic morning!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #80  
kpe
Paige

Thanks for the welcome everyone!! The past two days have gone really well... although I'm a bit worried about dh! He doesn't want to take the time to count his points... and I just don't think I should have to track everything for him. I guess we should probably plan out the day the night before! I'm looking forward to going to WW on Saturday... actually I just found a spot closer to us that meets on Thursday night so maybe I can talk him into it tonight!!!!

Linda... yeah I know it's a lifestyle change and not the "d" word!!(hehehe) I think that is one of the reasons why we wanted to switch back to WW from Jenny Craig. I probably should have said that this was only the third time that I've held myself accountable for what I eat... I mean most of my life if I wanted something I just ate it. Never took into consideration how bad it was for me! Heck... most of the time I ate I wasn't even hungry!!! Just habit! Enjoy your lunch with the girls today! Sounds like you have this eating out all figured out!!! I love DWZ!!! Couldn't eat out without it! I guess this is one of the things I hated about Jenny Craig!!! If your not eating their food then your off plan... at least with WW we can still go out and make good choices that don't blow it!

Paige... thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make that this weekend! Anyone else have any great recipes that you just love??? I'd like to cook at least 2 more things this weekend to add to my stash! Hope your WI goes well today! I have to have my WI in the mornings because I refuse to eat before I go!!!!

Cathy... congrats on your 1.6lbs!!! Good luck breaking through that plateau... I've been battling the same thing!

Erika... Enjoy your vacation... just remember to drink your water and yes watch those portion sizes!!! I think you'll do okay because you should have some idea by now how to estimate points by knowing what you should and shouldn't eat!! And keep up with your exercise! My husband ran while on vacation (I didn't) and he pretty much ate what he wanted and still mangaged to lose 2lbs on our 3 week vacation! He was so excited that he didn't gain! Me on the other hand gained 4lbs!!!! Unfortunately I was on the mindset that I was on vacation.... I knew we where going to switch over to WW when we got home so I didn't really make good choices as often as I should have... actually I did really good the first 2 weeks... and then gained 4lbs on our last week... we ate out alot that week!!!

Erica... I love your idea of even planning your snack times!!! I so need to do this. Since I'm home but still on vacation for the next few weeks I do find myself more tempted to snack then I would if I was busy at work! I could 1 and 2 point snack myself to death!!!

Okay... time to get back to cleaning out the closets!!! Yuck! We are considering putting our house on the market soon so I'm trying to declutter the closets so were are ready.... when and if the time comes! Opening a closet in this house is worse then opening Pandora's box!

Have a great day ladies!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #81  

kpe: I keep seeing those jenny craig commercials and everytime i see it curiosity strikes, just in your personal opinion which do you think you prefer WW or Jenny Craig. Sometimes I get the urge to try Jenny Craig out, I just don't know if I could see myself eating those frozen meals all the time and it seems like it would get repetitive, although I have a habit of sticking to the same foods sometimes. Just wanted to get some insight from someone who had tried jenny craig.

EriKa: I would suggest trying to get some excercise in, even if it just walking around some where and of course getting in water, which I always forget to do.

paige: that recipe sounds delicious may have to try it when I come back from my vacation.

ann: how r you doing?

derry: I too would like to go to a nutritionist, I think I might do it when I come back from my trip. It's just the expense that hold me back.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #82  
kpe
Paige

Haylo- I have to say that both programs have pros and cons... when I was on WW's before I felt like I was too obsessed with food... always counting points and wondering what I could eat with my 3 or 4 remaining points... with Jenny it was all laid out for me and I didn't have to really thing about it! We have a busy schedule and cooking at night is really hard for us... with Jenny I just fixed a salad or veggie and heated up dinner!! Voila it was done! However the downside of Jenny is the cost!! Food for one person is about $100 a week. And you have still have to buy your own fruit, veggie, and dairy! On the upside you meet with your own counselor every week and not a group meeting! They have 2 rotating menus... but if there is something on the menu you don't care for you can substitute something else for it. A typical menu would be
Breakfast:
Jenny entree
fruit
dairy
Morning snack:
yogurt and fruit or vitamin bar and fruit

Lunch:
Jenny entree
salad
dairy
Afternoon snack:
fruit and or dairy

Dinner:
Jenny Entree
Veggie
Dairy
Evening snack:
Jenny snack

However, it doesn't much allow for those times when "life" happens and you have an event or something that makes it hard to stay on plan... that's what I like about WW most... it's more of a lifestyle change and you can go out and eat with your girl friends and not feel guilty if you do!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #83  

kpe: thanks for you response, what you described about sometimes not know what to do with your points is me at times. I guess it would be easier to have ever thing laid out for you but the cost is a little much. You are right when you say you have more flexibility with WW, sometimes the flexibility gets me off track though. Anyways, thanks who know maybe I will try JC if this doesn't work for me. I am going to give myself this next week when I am out of town to think about it and see how I do with WW. I just keep having these ups and downs of weight loss however I know my ups are usually due to me being off track.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #84  
kpe
Paige

Haylo- Best of luck with whichever program you decide to go with. I actually think the best program for me is a combo of both!!! We have a lifetime membership to JC so we actually have an appt. with our counselor on Saturday. We are going to see if we can still weigh in with her every week and just buy a few Jenny things... we love their breakfast stuff!!! All of their food has the information we need to convert everything to points. We aren't going to tell her we are doing WW but rather tell her we just can't afford $200 a week any longer and if we can try to just make good choices part of the week can we lower our bill to $50-$75 a week and still come. If not then we will join WW but we really like the one on one counseling rather then the group thing. And we have a great counselor!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #85  

Paige2-What? $200 a week! OMG! (sorry) I had no idea their program was that pricey. Are you always supposed to be on their food, or do they teach you how to eat regular food? I guess I just don't understand how a program like that could work long term?

Anyway...I went to wi...I'm down another 1.4lbs!!! WOOOHOOO!!! I am quite excited; it really made my day!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #86  
kpe
Paige

Congrats Paige on your WI!! That's terrific! And well yeah JC is expensive... that $200 was for both us but it's still too pricey! As you get closer to your goal weight you do start to plan some of your own meals and they have a maintainence program... but I think WW is better at creating long time lifestyle changes.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #87  

Paige2-I guess it just depends on the person; personally, I don't see how I would be successful at it. I need to be able to eat "real" food. I think in the end I would feel very restricted. I like being able to have my cake and eat it too! But that is me!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #88  

paige: congrats on your loss

paige2: thanks for giving some insight into this
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #89  

Paige, way to go with your loss! You go girl! How much have you now lost, in total? You said you felt thinner, so I guess you now can say you are!
Paige2, I've heard that about Jenny Craig as far as eating out being "off plan" and I don't want to be restricted by having to earth their food. Truly, in my mind, that is not teaching you how to eat for the rest of your life, it's a "quick fix" kind of thing. When you lose the weight and stop eating their food, you haven't learned how to manage your food intake properly. I suppose they offer some dietary counseling when you reach goal, but I think the process of eating properly is learned WHILE you are losing weight at WW and boy I know it is a very long process!
I can't believe how expensive the JC foods are, by the way. Did you like most of their foods?
As for me, I did well today. I'm ending the day using 3 flex points for the day. But considering I went to Cracker Barrel for lunch, this is really what I would call a success story. I ordered based on my Dottie's Weight Loss Zone information. I really scanned the menu just to make sure what I was on the web site actually existed and it did, for the most part. Sadly, the brown rice is only available on Fridays, but I had pinto beans instead and only ate about half of them. I had the planned chicken tenderloins, I had corn and turnip greens with it. I didn't care for the turnip greens, I've never had them before but wanted to try them as they are listed as 0 points. No biscuits or cornbread. I have a clear broth vegetable soup and no dessert. I really feel like this was a breakthrough for me. Usually, I have to have biscuits in that place and have to have butter, no matter how good I think I am being those things are too tempting. So, I did OK!
I didn't go to the gym today, I was just too tired and even if they are still open right now, I'm in for the night and tired. Tomorrow, I have to sew theater costumes all day and probably won't get there either. Oh well.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #90  
kpe
Paige

You did great today at Cracker Barrel, Linda!!! Ya gotta love dwz!! Yeah I'm happy about switching back to WW... this needs to be something we can live with and not the quick fix! We did actually like most of their food, though. The make the best breakfasts entrees!!! We might still get a few of them... they make a breakfast sandwich and an egg scramble that are so yummy! I'm always in such a hurry in the mornings trying to get the kids dressed so we can all be out the door by 6:15 am that I don't have a chance to eat until I get to work so these breakfast entrees they had made it really easy!

I know I must sound like I'm promoting JC but I'm really not trying too.... I'm very happy to be back on my WW program!!!
Closed Thread