Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

My weekend included the purchase of a new scale, which told me I weighed ten pounds more than the old one. Nice.

Right after that pleasant (but not all that surprising) news, I met a friend for coffee that somehow turned into an huge appetizer and drinks (train wreck!). I'm getting married next March and I was talking about wedding stuff and how I needed to slim down for the big white dress and, next thing I knew, I had practically wrestled my friend for the last bit of dip! Uh, stress eating, anyone?!?

I'm doing really well, though. 3 days in and the new scale and I are becoming friends.

How are you all doing?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #17  

I'm bummed. I made a posting here earlier that seems to have been lost and isn't showing up here.
Just want to say that I would like to be part of your thread and hope it's going well, for now, can't believe my really good and long post is GONE.
Bummer.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #18  

I've had that happen, too. You have brilliant outpouring and WHAM!

Someone on another forum suggested typing long responses in Word and pasting them to the reply window. (I'm too "instant gratification" for that!)

Welcome, Linda, and try that post again!

I started posting again on Monday after more than a year away and this thread is the friendliest!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #19  
Canada Eh!

S/C/G: 195/moving down/147

Height: 5'7"

derrydaughter -- I think the post is here because it has activity on here. I've lurked for a long time and finally got on here (I tried to register before and I must have been doing it wrong somehow!). Chin up! We all have a place now...(hee hee....besides I need all the kick in the pants that I can GET!) Meantime derrydaughter I'm going searching for your post!

Layfayette...the new scale...YIKES! sorry about that! I am sure it was heavier because you were "thinking" heavier! (hee hee! Funny, I have a WW scale and I step on it, get off and step on it again and the numbers are different. I'm learning to not be so stressed about the numbers and focus on the positive things that I am doing (I gotta start somewhere!).

So with that said...I have been drinking at least 5 glasses of water EVERY DAY this week (this is from NO water and just coffee from before re-joining WW...so to me that's a HUGE success!).
Old 04-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #20  

I went off the coffee, too, but headaches would set in around 5pm. Now, I have one mug in the morning and cut myself off for the rest of the day. Water and I are slowly becoming friends.

I had a little personal victory this evening. I know I had to work from 8am to 9pm today so I had a good breakfast and a 17 point burrito for lunch knowing dinner was a distant concept.

I want you all to know that I passed up chicken kiev (breaded chicken breast stuffed with herb butter- gross but good) AND a piece of chocolate cake in favor of coming home to 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese and some cucumber slices. I had 2 points left and that's all I used!

WooHoo!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #21  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Bravo Lafayette!! It's lil victories like that, that pave the road to future sucess in reaching our goals. So many times we toss it over a cookie! One bad choice, one bad meal.

You get enough good choices to fall back and rely on, it only further ingraines that You too can do this! YaY You!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #22  

I guess my post is lost forever, but what I was trying to say was that people who are "fallen" in terms of a lifetime member (like me) or a former leader often feel they were supposed to be the ones who set the example and the fact that they lost control is somehow very shameful or something like that.
What we (especially me) need to learn is to forgive ourselves. We can take the experiences that have contributed to our losses/gains and learn from them. We can finally realize success and be the ones who can teach others.
I'm hoping to be a leader one day, myself, I feel what I have been through truly will make me a good and strong leader, and perhaps one who can be so very much more understanding than a person who has joined, lost weight and stayed there, period. I have struggled, learned, changed, and finally after years reached a better understanding of the lifestyle change that they talk about at meetings. In the past, I have thought about lifestyle changes and been almost depressed, wondering to myself how could I possibly eat like this for my entire life? Now, I have adopted a path, if you will, and that path has shown me something about myself and about the rest of my life and what I can do, or not do, for myself. It's taken me awhile to get it through my thick head, but I think I can do this now, and I think I might just be successful and maintain my losses down the road.
Cheers and happy Friday to all!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #23  

Anyone who has lost weight is an inspiration because they had the guts to say, "I hate my appearance" without meaning "I hate myself" and make the change. It's when it slides into "I hate myself" mode that a bag of chips (or a whole pan of brownies... pick your drug of choice) can call to you, demotivate you and make you feel like a different kind of loser!

I'm sure there are many reasons to look up to you, Linda. The fact that you achieved your goal and are using that to motivate you to do it again is a big one!

The cake bypass paid off- I'm down almost two more pounds. I know it's still week one and this could all be water weight but I'll take it!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #24  

Quote:
but I think I can do this now, and I think I might just be successful and maintain my losses down the road.
Now take the word "Think" & "Might" out of your sentences there, replace with "Know" & "Will" and you got a mighty powerful Mantra there!!

I believe in you Linda!! I believe in all of us!!

sassy
Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #25  

Sassy, did I tell you I missed you?
I thought of what you recommended I change after I typed it and you are totally right. What I was thinking was the little train that could from the kid's story.... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".... that's me! I know I can, though, truly.
By the way, I'm 52 now and recognize that it's a "make it or break it" thing for me. I'm not getting any younger and this had to be it for me. I want to live long and live healthy. I've learned to like extra virgin olive oil and vinegar only on my salads, even when I am eating out, for example. I have learned that I can order things in restaurants that are much healthier choices and I enjoy those foods just as much, if not more, than I enjoyed the higher fat/points choices that got me where I am! I can stick with these choices and I can maintain a balance.
There are going to be birthday cakes in my life. Tomorrow is my husbands birthday and we are having a family party. I'm taking the time today to make TWO cakes, a lower fat/calorie version and the regular one for those who want it. I can live this way and it's ok.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #26  
Canada Eh!

Talking

Derrydaughter ---- I wanna HUG YOU HUGE!!! It's so nice to know that someone understands! I so hear you about being ashamed and of course knowing what we have to do. This time, I'm working on it for ME. I think in the past I used all these excuses like losing weight for a function (i.e. graduation, etc.). Now I want to look hot and BE hot (not that I am right now -- and no I don't mean the hot flashes kind of hot!

--interesting how you said, "I have thought about lifestyle changes and been almost depressed, wondering to myself how could I possibly eat like this for my entire life?" I thought that way also, for a long time. Now I make it challenging for me and cook things that I normally would not cook -- and they are fantastic! I think I am becoming a BETTER cook because of all the effort I am putting into it (i.e. going to the butcher for the best cuts....rather than just accepting mediocre). I only have to cook for one, but what I do is cook for the portions, and then freeze them....voila, instant gourmet lunches!

Layfayette --as for the "bag of chips" Oh my! what I would do for a bag of chips and a whole container of that dill pickle dip...but you know, nothing tastes as good as being thin feels! I've been there and I know that I can get there again! As for the making two cakes...I have a confession -- I would MAKE the two cakes and eat the WHOLE lower fat one! ha ha...least if you make ONE cake, you only have one!

17 point burrito...I chuckled when I read that! Today we had a lunch out...and it was one of those Thai wraps -- of course they have a peanut sauce and about a cup of rice on the inside...so I broke it down to see what the counts would be. Correct me if I'm wrong ok??
Tortilla (regular size) 4 points
1 cup rice 4 points
3 oz chicken 3 points
peanut dressing 4 points
side salad with dressing 4 points

so that's going to count BIG...egads! I'm weighing in tomorrow morning! Yes I have the extra points, but it sure didn't help me to do all those extra's the day before weigh-in!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #27  
Canada Eh!

oops.... sweetnsassyfied...forgot to say HELLO! and NICE TA MEETCHA!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #28  

I'm a lifer too folks. I hit goal years ago then creep creep creep it was coming back on then Wham I got pregnant...more weight.

Well I'm down close to 80 lbs - since having my daughter a few years ago. Some times it's a hard road this weight loss thing. But remember to stay in the game. Even if you go off track or gain everything back or what ever as long as you get back in the game you've won. So, I don't think of you as a fallen leader, you're human just like the rest of us and you know what happens so good for you getting back in the game and to the rest of us for getting back in the game too.

As for the core flex thing I've basically been doing flex but trying to lean towards the core foods. I need that leash when it comes to portion control too. When ever I've tried Core full on I gain. So, for me I'm sticking with what works.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #29  

Elan, I totally understand - believe me!
This time I am doing this for ME and only me. I could drift along for the rest of my life overweight by 30 pounds and buy that next size up of clothing and be comfortable, or I can whip myself into shape and feel good when I look in the mirror.
By the way, I caught my reflection about a month ago when I was walking into a building the wall beside me was glass. I looked and thought, "Wow, I look thinner". There is a spring in my step that there wasn't when I had 17 more pounds on my body. I am 5'2" tall and 17 pounds is a great deal on a small frame. I want to continue feeling good. I'm not out to win the Miss America pageant here, but I would like to look good and "normal" as I am out in the world living my life.
For you, Elan, you are suddenly single again and looking good has an entirely different meaning for you and I'll bet you will be very motivated to get thin and stay thin.
By the way, I like what you said about cooking differently and if you are cooking for one, you can freeze and have microwave meals for other days/times. Do you like chili? My leader gave me a great chili recipe that, I think, is something like 2 points for a cup and completely CORE. I could look it up for you. It uses ground turkey and summer squash in it. I really liked it and it would be something you could make and freeze some. If you work and have a micro at the office, you can bring it along and heat it up there and it would smell so good that all your co-workers will be sniffing around and asking what it is!
Mamabear, sounds like you've done a wonderful job getting weight off! Great job!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #30  

You know I wanted to say something profound here.. but I got a gazilion kids here right behind me. ( 3- 6- gazllion does it matter.. )

Anyhoo my train of thought jumped track! I'll be back. Ifn i remeber what it was

Sincerely,

sassy
Closed Thread