Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #1  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Default Help! Barbell issue

I just started using a barbell for some of my exercises like deadlifts, curls, etc. I thought it would add some spice to my routines. Anyway, I tried to use it for squats and I can't hold it behind my neck. My arms won't go far enough in. I have to have them really...like to the end of the bar...far out to even begin feeling a little bit of comfort. Is there a trick to this or are my shoulders the problem? I should note that I have a hard time doing an exercise called a butterfly where you bring your elbows together in front of you. If it is my shoulders, or maybe back, how can I get some more flexibility in there? Other than that, I do LOVE my barbell!
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #2  

I have the same problem with my shoulders- trying to hold a barbell on my back for squats or good mornings, stretches my shoulders too far back. The butterfly machine (or pec dec) brings my shoulders too far back also. So I squat with dumbbells and avoid the butterfly. I am not looking to lift super heavy in those exercises, although I have been increasing my weight in the bench press.

There are many alternate exercises to do, or dumbbells can be substituted for the barbell at times.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #3  

Hi Christina,
I think you should definitely work on your flexibility, as your shoulders are unusually tight. In the mean time you can get plenty of work for your legs using the barbell for front squats and deadlifts.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina7806
Anyway, I tried to use it for squats and I can't hold it behind my neck. My arms won't go far enough in. I have to have them really...like to the end of the bar...far out to even begin feeling a little bit of comfort. Is there a trick to this or are my shoulders the problem? I should note that I have a hard time doing an exercise called a butterfly where you bring your elbows together in front of you. If it is my shoulders, or maybe back, how can I get some more flexibility in there? Other than that, I do LOVE my barbell!
so where is the bar exactly resting on your back? is it high on the back where it's actually touching your neck? what you need to do is shrug your shoulders back (pretend you're in the military standing at attention with your shoulders pulled back). when you do that, your upper trapezius forms a little "shelf" where you then rest the bar on it. you then keep it in that position for the entire movement. as Robert stated, it's probably a flexibility issue, but, you also have to make sure you're doing upper back exercises like dumbbell, barbell, or cable rows, exercises that will bring your shoulders into an external rotation as well as retracting your scapula. also, if you belong to a gym, i would advise grabbing one of the trainers to help you with form. when you move into barbells, especially on a squat, you want to make sure your technique is perfect.

Michael Navin, CSCS
leanbodyfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Micheal has a good description with the shelf on your back, you can practice with just a broom stick for your flexibility at first...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote