Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Tell your kids what I tell mine. "It takes a lot of hard work to be this fine!"

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #17  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Another week of leg frustration. Had such a great 3 day weekend...gardened, cleaned, did UB and a lot of stretching and LB strengthening within the limits prescribed by the physical therapist, and was able to walk with a normal gait....then Tuesday, whammo, back to limping. Saw the physical therapist today...problem is in two auxilliary muscles which are overcompensating for not enough strength in my quad...she did a lot of ultrasound work and massage, and said to lay off walking, biking, and whatever seemed to create pain for a while. So....two steps forward, one step back again. So frustrating!

Nice to feel more strength in my UB workouts, however, as now am able to do shoulder work with 10# and a little with 12#DB...thought I was stuck at 8# forever...seems like almost a year. Not quite sure why the jump happened. I've always felt so wimpy in my shoulder work. Also able to go to 10# on my tricep work. Mel, what's the highest #s a person should use on tricep work? I know it's a smaller muscle, and was wondering if there is a DB limit that's considered safe.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #18  
Working My Way Back Down

Rabbit - l loved having my MP3 on vacation. It's so small and portable. Not only did I have music for exercise but I also have audiobooks on it. This let me "read" at night without bothering DH or in situations where there was poor light (B&B's, airplane). It also meant that I didn't have to take many "real" books with me - not a problem when you're in a car, but definitely when you're schlepping all your stuff with you on public transportation. Hope you have a good time, and get your exercise in. You'll find that running outdoors requires different muscles - you're constantly making fine adjustments (unconsciously for the most part) in your posture, balance, speed, etc. It's also nicer to look at different scenery. Just tell your DH and kids that you need this to enjoy the trip!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #19  

Just a "flyby" to let you know I am here, but unbelieveably busy. 4 Day Weeks seem to send me all out of kilter - hope to be back for a longer post tomorrow - food and exercise are fine, just 3FC time reduced

Thinking of you all - go out and do good things for yourself ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #20  

Since Saturday, my food and exercise have been out of kilter. I'm on a binge but am trying hard, HARD to throw on the brakes.

Tiki
Old 07-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

Hang in there Tiki Are you still exercising? Silly question it on the Exercise Thread, so I know it's a
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #22  

Check the exercise thread, girl. I haven't worked out since Monday. All the junk has me feeling sluggish. I am promising myself that my binge is done, my binge is done, my binge is done!!!!

Now I got to go make up a cheer routine. That should be good for about 30 minutes of cardio.

Tiki
Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #23  

hi LWL,

Tiki-Get yourself up girl!! I KNOW Billy is waiting for you, he is hiding in your TV!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on "how to tell the family mummy want to work out". Tiki, I especially liked yours. That one is certainlt going to do wonders for my self esteem !
Pat, thanks for the suggestion on the audio books... I do happen to have the "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"series somewhere, which i have not listened to, so that is a good thing to take along!

Today I did 30 mins run, 3.5 km. Not much but my knee is holding out a bit longer, so the reduced running scedule is working out. After that I did 30 mins basis power yoga DVD. This is not to be considered cardio, but I still count it as excercise. Boy, do I have some lumbering up to do. These people on the DVD grab hold of their feet easily in the weirdest positions! That is also something that I can do on holiday!.

have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #24  

rabbit - good job getting back to your needs, first. It will make you feel better and be more "there" (and that will be in a state of flux for 5 weeks) for your family. I know it makes a huge difference in oh, so many ways. It will be an adjustment, but well worth it in the long run. And I am right there with you on mp3s - audible books are my best friends these days. Right now I am listening to Freakanomics on my runs and Black-Eyed Peas for hard elliptical cardio. I love being able to mix it up! Watch your knee though, and adjust as necessary. I know I get caught up in "my schedule says I must do this today" and it is hard to listen to what my body really needs.

Tiki - you have the power and can stop this binge. I love power and we have been denied it for so long - don' ask, just take control. And rabbit is right ... Billy is waiting for you - don't you dare break up with him now ...

Silverbirch - sorry about the mono - I remember it and it was not fun. Take care of yourself and rest. Not much else you can do.

Susan (artmaker) - sorry it is taking you longer than you would like to recover from your surgury - listen to your body, keep up with the UBW and your legs will follow. Though, it sounds like you got this thing down and have a great team with PT and doctor.

Teapotdynamo - boy, I hear you on the ruts. Remember me a few weeks ago? I know it is a rough hole to be in and hard to get out of, but you can. You were fabulous to me and I appreciated it. We are in this together and your girlfriends (us) are taking away the scales and measuring tapes andcalipers right now. Let those things go and get back into your head about how good it feels to move and how exercising makes you happy. Think about how good you feel when you eat right and how much easier it is to move and think and function and sleep and wake up when you need to and laugh more when you are properly hydrated and not weighed down by the gunk of junk. Get away from statistical measures and back to joy. Hey, its summer and we don't have to go to school! Woo Woo!!

Hi Meg, Mel, Ilene, Julia and everyone else. Hope it is a good week for you all.

So my life has been busy/hectic but food and exercise has been in control. That is a very new place for me to be. I hope things settle down in the next week or 10 days. Nothing bad is going on, just a lot of things and I hate being overscheduled. I don't even have my evenings to recoup some energy - the All-Star break next week is a welcome respite. But I don't mean to complain, I just need sleep - and one day (just 1) to workout out in the morning and veg with a book in the afternoon - ok, just 2 hours, OK?

I did a killer leg and shoulder workout yesterday followed by Pilates. I am coming to the conclusion that I need to let this afternoon Pilates session go, at least until after the fall. I don't get back from the gym until around 11am and then need to go back at 2:40 for this class. It is too rushed to get my other stuff done and back. Like they say, free has its price, and even though there is no charge for this class, it takes too much out of me. I felt like throwing up during the class and pretty much went to bed at 11 last night still feeling sick to my stomach and with a headache. Darn!

On to some exciting news - I am the Client of the Month for July at my gym. Check out my story (though you all know most of it already) at www.vervehealthandfitness.com ...and the good looking guy at the bottom is ot DH, but my fabulous trainer (and single, ladies )

I have actually started printing out the study guide for the NASM Foundations course and skimming the course material. I am very excited and looking forward to diving in next week. Yes, see, another reason to let the afternoon Pilates class go - I will still have a morning class on Fri's.

OK, off for my run and then to a day game (Nat's vs NY Mets) and then to meet up with some girlfriends for the WNBA game. Oh, wait, I think I can see where the overscheduling is coming from ... yes, I can be my own worst enemy
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Just a drive-by post ... Ellen , awesome transformation, I didn't realise .... YOU go GIRL

Tiki --- Go get Billiy!!!

TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #26  
Jennifer

Tik, you can get back on track, I know it. What usually helps me is to *start* with the exercise, because it a) makes me immediately feel better about myself because I've accomplished something; and b) makes me want to eat right so as not to "blow" the calorie loss. Usually it's much easier to eat clean then. But you know what works for you -- just know we're here for you!

Step away from the peanut butter!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #27  

Teapot you are right. If I can kick in the exercise, then the food follows. I am just having the darndest time getting into bed and then back up on time to work out. And I actually have stuck to my promise to not eat any PB. Its other stuff that I'm munching instead.

However, today is a new day (and my birthday to boot) so I am going to eat clean, go cheer, workout and go to bed. That will be my gift to me. I just hope my crew doesn't have other plans for me.

Tiki
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #28  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Ellen, just read the posted story....you look just fabulous, and as we LWL know, you are doing fabulously! Terrific affirmation for you.

Tik, life is filled with these bumps and grinds (speaking as one who has experienced them all). From all I've read from you I just KNOW that you will get out of this glip in your process and back on track. Jennifer is right....try to get back into the exercise groove and the eating will follow. Keep that dish detergent handy and douse everything with it when it gets near your mouth.

A day of stretching and leg resting....tomorrow UB and will try Pilates routine. If I don't check in, have a great weekend everyone!

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #29  

Ellen - great webpage, you look wonderful.

Tiki - happy birthday!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #30  
Jennifer

Ellen, thanks for the kind words. I do tend to myopically focus on the scale at times, so it's helpful to take a step back and get some perspective! And I know what I need to do to get through the weekends, it's just a matter of getting my *** in gear to do it!

That's a great story they did on you... you must be so proud! You look fantastic and must be feeling great, too.

Just got back from an UBWO. It was going swimmingly until the end, when I got a shooting headache whenever I tried to lift anything. Luckily, I had already nearly finished. Who knows... I'm trying to get over a minor virus, so it's probably sinus pressure or something.

Anyway, have a great day everybody! Hang in there, birthday girl!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote