Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 210 July 4 - July 10

Happy July 4th! Those are my fireworks smilies. Stay out of the red, white and blue cupcakes unless they are made of oatmeal and have strawberries and blueberries on top

I'm off to the gym for shoulders and arms, then two clients. Why don't these people want to rest and have a barbeque? I'm trying to pack all my workouts and clients into the next two days before I leave for Boulder on Wednesday morning. I've been wording out with DH for the last 2 days. He is very sore!

Have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #2  
Meg

Morning, Mel! Why don't YOU want to rest and have a BBQ instead of working shoulders and arms, hmmm? I'm one to talk -- DD and I are planning an outstanding leg workout before we hit the mall this afternoon. On our list so far are squats, track lunges, reverse leg raises on the ball (not sure what the real name is but they kick my you know what), stiff leg dead lifts, bench squats and BOSU squats for dessert. Have a wonderful - and restful - time in Boulder!

Ellen, I saw that you enrolled in NASM's Foundations course. I also did that course before the PT certification and thought it was a good overview of what you need to know - in a lot more depth - in the PT course. I was able to get through it in about two weeks and the test is online (you have to go to a test center for the PT exam) so that was easy. Once you finish the Foundations course, you'll have a much better idea of what to expect with the actual PT certification. Keep us posted on how it's going!

Happy 4th to all!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Mel -- You'Ve enlisted your DH now?! That's a great way to torture him Had he worked out before?...

Today is Legs for moi

... Happy 4th to our American Friends !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I see none of us are taking a break today. Today is back, bis and MUCHO needed cardio. I ate from mainly three food groups yesterday - carbs, chips and cake - so I have got to go burn some stuff off. The leg workout on Saturday is a definite pain in my tooshy today. I think I am going to stick with the split lunges because they allow me to use heavier weight. I can't hold more than a 30 lb dumbell because my grip is so weak and that is actually very difficult.

Have a great 4th everybody!!!

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Happy Independence Day! I am sort of taking a break. Our gym is closed, has been all weekend (though we were away from Fri night til Sunday so didn't notice). It's raining off and on here, so don't know how much cardio I'll get done outdoors - don't want to melt you know! I can lift some at home. I've been suffering with tendonitis in my right shoulder so haven't been able to do all of my routine. One handed only works so far. . . It's feeling better and hopefully I can get back to a more normal workout this week. Thankfully it doesn't affect my cardio stuff.

I am working out a new routine to go through the next 8-12 weeks. I'm also biting the bullet and spending some time at Fitday. I do like tracking there, it's just the time it takes to get all my foods in. I've vowed to work on this so that it becomes faster. Like the rest of you I tend to eat a lot of the same foods. Just seems that when I eat something new or different it takes so much time to find and enter it, I end up not finishing that day and often several others after it. Just need to take myself in hand and do it!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 AM   #6  

Hi LWL,

I hope you all had a great independence day.. It sure sounds like it ! I did not post much last week due to falling into that same old hole again, but thanks to all the practice at least I'm getting out of it sooner. I guess that is progress of some sort.

As for the excercise: yesterdaay I did 2.6 km treadmill and LBW. I think I can cautiously up the weights as i am not very sore today. Today I did 15 min bike and 5 km treadmill. I have slashed my treadmill weekly target in half and will mix with some other cardio because my R knee is acting up: after some minutes of running it starts to hurt, then after a couple of minutes walk I can run for some minutes again before it hurts again.

Tiki - is that what I think it is ? 30 lb in EACH hand ?? Wow!! My heaviest at the moment is a 30 lb barbell which I use for squats. Since I was not sore from the LBW of yesterday I was thinking of adding some to it.

Every time I read about the workouts of you guys I am amazed at what is possible and i realise I still have a long way to go, lots of improvement oppotrtunities !

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Out of the woods and into the trees

My knee/foot thing seems to be healing well. So I'm out of the woods then!

No, I'm into the trees again. I have a viral infection that's very close to glandular fever. Swollen glands, extreme tiredness, etc. I've had it for about a month (we all have in different forms). And the doc says it'll probably recur for about a year. Perhaps the doctor (not my usual one) wasn't factoring my superior fitness into the equation. Let's hope the outlook is a bit better than he thought.

So, where does that leave me? I suppose I'll have to do what I can. For exercise, getting washed and dressed can be a bit taxing at the moment. And food? Well, the doc says I should eat well. I interpret that as lean protein, F&V, fibre, low saturated fat, etc rather than champagne, chocolates and caviar. Perhaps I should have checked!

Any advice?

Please lift a bit of iron for me. And get a bit out of breath with your cardio on my account. Thanks.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #8  
Mel

Is glandular fever what we call mono? Take care of yourself, SB! We'll all lift a bit and run a bit for you

Today is my last panic day of packing and clients before I leave for "vacation" visiting my mother and step-dad (and taking ds to camp) in Colorado. We're probably mostly packed, but I'll repack at least three times. And pack food for the endless airport wait and plane trip. US Air no longer feeds or waters their captives. Not that their food was very good in years gone by...but at least my ds would eat it!

Probably no computer access while I'm gone: they have a slow dial-up (sheesh...the dark ages!) and I have no patience.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #9  

Hi Silverbirch,

What rotten luck for you to get this infection! Is it like Lyme disease (what you get from tick bites ) or Pfeiffer ? Did you look it up on the internet yet ? You have my sincere sympathy!

About the tiredness... strangely enough for me getting some excercise perked me up when I was extremely tired last year. Something like a 10 min walk (which was heavy excercise at that time), in conjunction with lots of B vitamins. At least it gave me the idea that I was doing something for my health except for sleeping.

Also my son was extremely tired for 6 months in the last year, we first thought Pfeiffer but he had no swollen glands. Turned out to be due an intestinal creature, blastocystis hominis, and after the antibiotics he was still not OK. I fed him a course of probiotics and that helped him.

Lots of luck Silverbirch,

rabbit
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #10  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Is glandular fever what we call mono?
I think it probably is. Glandular fever is infectious mononucleosis though 'someone of my maturity' doesn't usually get it. I am, apparently, 'a bit senior' for it. The cheek! I'm only 50 in August.

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll keep crawling along and hope things improve.

Have a good time in Boulder, Mel. It's one of those 'holidays', is it?

Rabbit: 10 minutes walk sounds hard but I'll work up to it. B vitamins sound good. What's Pfeiffer? I had a quick look but only came up with schizophrenia. I don't think I've got that.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Glandular fever is infectious mononucleosis though 'someone of my maturity' doesn't usually get it. I am, apparently, 'a bit senior' for it. The cheek! I'm only 50 in August.
Don't be too offended, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone over 18 getting it (it's also called the "kissing disease") so at 31 they probably would have told me the same thing. When I was a gymnast, I had a friend who missed SEVEN MONTHS of school/practice because of it only to rupture her spleen when she went back to working out - not pleasant for anyone in the gym that day, least of all her.

Ilene, you were right about my poor legs just not being prepared. I did more squats on Sunday - with slightly more weight - and although I am still a little sore on Tuesday it's not anything like it was Thur/Fri/Sat.

Quote:
I ate from mainly three food groups yesterday - carbs, chips and cake
I feel your pain, but mine were cocktail shrimp, BBQ'd ribs, & various vodka drinks.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #12  

Hi LWL,

Silverbirch - Pfeiffer is also know as the kissing disease so probabely the same as mononucleosis. My sister had it when she was in her teens, and it simply took months to get over it. We feared my son had it last summer, but this was not the case. I feel for you. Working up to a 10- min walk can seem like a challenge for the marathon, I hope you will soon be a bit better.

A rainy day here today. My R knee is definitely acting up so I'm cuting back on the running. Today I did 3.1 km treadmill and UBW. It did not seem that heavy when i did it (and compared to some of the workouts of the others it does not amount to that much ) but as I type my arms are trembling, so I'll be sore tomorrow.

Also I am thinking about how to do workouts on my holidays: we will go away for 5 weeks, no computeracces for the major part: first we will go to a place on the coast next friday, return thursday after that, and then we go camping: the plan is to drive up to norway and see the fjords. The best I have come up with yet is that I got myself an MP3 player and I will pack my running shoes, notebook and heartrate monitor. As I never run outside, this will be a major challenge.

I'm open for suggestions, especially araound the theme "how come mum wants to go for 1 hour run/walk/jog whatever while we are on holiday"

have a great day,
rabbit
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 AM   #13  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit
I am thinking about how to do workouts on my holidays ....

I'm open for suggestions, especially araound the theme "how come mum wants to go for 1 hour run/walk/jog whatever while we are on holiday
How old are the children? Can you do a fair bit of racing about with them? (See Krista's June rant about playing: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html)

How come you want to go out, taking exercise for an hour? Here are some possible answers.

I have to do it to look after myself and keep myself healthy.
I will be more fun to be with when I've done it.
Everyone needs time to themselves.
It's just part of what happens in this family.
It's what I do every day.

Good luck!

Cold and rainy here but my glands are going down.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Silver -- Hope you feel better soon...

Rabbit -- You could bring the kiddies with you on your walks but you probably won't want to because you will need the break. Why do we have to give excuses anyways? ''because I like it'' is my answer when anyone asks...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #15  
Jennifer

I like your answers, Silverbirch. Funny how many of us feel so guilty about doing something that keeps us so sane.

Big leg day today, and I can already feel the "jelly" feeling, so I bet soreness will follow. I did squats with a 30 pound dumbell (thanks for the one dumbell trick, Mel!), which I know is nothing to most of you (not even the weight of the stinkin' bar!), but it was a big step for me. I'm still not totally comfortable with my squat form -- my knees still keep me from going down as far as I know I should. I also did lunges with 15 pound weights in each hand, and these nifty glute things.

Overall, I'm in a bit of a discouraged period. I keep losing my focus over the weekends when my structure goes out the window, and it's definitely creating a "x steps forward, x steps back" pattern to my weight loss (depending on the extent to which I limit the damage). I'm going to have to tighten the reins! I think this worked fine when I had more to lose, but boy, do the margins change when you get closer to goal! Thankfully, the measuring tape is still being kind to me at this point.

Well, hope everyone has a good (short!) week. Sorry to hear about all the illness plaguing our families! Stay strong, everybody... this too will pass.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote