Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #31  

I cannot lift and have a sore throat and head cold, just a medical fact. LOL. I have been watching FIT TV though to keep inspired with staying on track.

ILENE - Jogging in a mini blizzard, so glad you didn't get lost. I would suspect that your friend knows she has a weight issue, I suggest just staying friends and being a positive example and making construction suggestions on activities and nonfood things to do.

ARTMAKER - Just saw an article, (Newsweek??) about retirees and art and how it keeps you in touch and in shape, go for it. Combined with being a trainer and a more mature one at that, someone who has been there, who is able to seperate the BS from the problems, would make your skills in high demand.

I found a new LC yogurt the one made by Hood, not too bad tasting and I figure, protein burst and calcium, great grab and go for the backpack.

Egg drop soup, thanks for the dinner idea. Add some hot sauce and I can maybe break up this verging head cold.

I saw the conclusion of the Biggest Loser last night, those people were so happy with their progress. Even those voted off were looking pretty good and are in it now for the runner up prize. It was interesting to see how they are doing on their own, still have a camera to report to but no longer were with a trainer full time.

Hoping the sneezing doesn't start until after the meeting.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #32  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Ta-da!!! One pound down. The cardio is working!!! Actually on my home scale I show two pounds, but I will go with the one pound loss at the gym and be super happy. Had a good workout with my trainer this morning, sweated a ton. I am so pleased I am showing progress. My clothes still don't seem very different, but hey! eventually it will begin to make a difference. In the meantime, when I look at myself in the mirror I don't look quite so globby, much more smooth. And I am noticing much more flexibility, which is exciting. I can do quad stretches easily now.

Will try to get back tonight to get in my hour of cardio...

sugarcube, hope you feel better quickly!

Whoever, Thanks for the pancake recipe...will try it next week.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by artmaker; 01-12-2005 at 10:57 AM.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #33  
Warrior of Grace

Hi all!

This week we switched workouts around so that we're doing 4 weight days and 4 cardio days per week. Twice a week is just not enough cardio for me to lose the weight I want to lose. And going sometimes 5 days between Upper body weights seems a little long to me... So it's:

M - Cardio and Upper
T - Lower
W - Cardio
Th - Cardio and Upper
F - Lower
S - Cardio

Like anyone cares about my routine! Actually if this sounds like it might be a problem, I'd appreciate the input. My body feels the difference, but I'm confident I will make the adjustment.

I'm also going to the chiropractor for a long time spinal issue and my back is sore from the adjustments. And let's see... my hormones are all over the place from being pre-menopausal, so I'm kind of crabby and in pain. NOT a good combination!

At any rate, still on plan and feeling great about that. Actually this 'plan' is pretty much going to be a lifetime thing with minor adjustments along the way. It's all about balance and I'm all over that!

SugarCube, so sorry you're feeling badly! There's nothing that gets my ire up more than something getting between me and my exercise! Hope you feel better real soon!

artmaker, congrats! Every pound counts. I hope to be sharing your victory next week!

Mel (and Ilene) - Thanks so much for the recipe! We save Sunday for pancakes or waffles, but now I can try it during the week!

I hope you all have good days.
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #34  

Qadira,
I think your routine sounds ok. You'll have to see how you feel, of course, but if it's going well go for it. The only thing you might want to do in the beginning if you're having problems is skip the Wednesday cardio so that you have two days off per week for rest.

It's Pilates day for me, which I'm looking forward to. Too much Chinese food last night, but I got up in time for breakfast at home this morning which has been a struggle recently. My weight splits are going well, although my poundage is still pretty low.

Liza - hope you feel well soon. There seems to be a lot of things going around this year.

Susan - congrats on the weight loss and flexibility! Someday I want to be flexible
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #35  

Gee Ladies, we are going to have to find a way to celebrate in March. I will be 45 on March 12 (and looking forward to it). Plan right now it to head out to Las Vegas for 3 or 4 days, but really depends on some budget issues.

Susan - congratulations on the loss!! Woo Woo to

Qadria - your plan looks good. Keep working it to find what works best for you. In the beginning I did the splits between upper and lower. Now I prefer a full body 3x a week as that gives me time for yoga and/or pilates on my off days and cardio 5-6 times a week. You may find your preferences change over time. The important thing is to keep listening to your body and answering your needs.

Sugarcube - hope you get well soon. I wish we got Fit TV on or cable system because they seem to have such interesting shows.

Today was not a hard workout weight wise - worked with my trainer on a routine I can do myself - more about form and order than actually working out. So then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and tried a cross country routine for the first time. Oh yeah, that worked it hard, so it all evens out.

Oh, good news - when I went to the doctor yesterday over the balddr infection she reduced my blood pressure medicatio by half! This regular exercise sure makes all the difference for me!

Unfortunately pampering afternoon with my workout buddy did not pan out. It looks like we will try for next Thurs. Smashing toes will wait another week
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #36  
Lovin' Zumba!

Qadira - just a tip - you may want to ease yourself into this new routine - not sure what you are doing for cardio, but I do elliptical, and I found that when I tried to go to 4-5 days of cardio, along with a lower body lifting day, my knees started protesting. That much cardio was really working my legs quite a bit more than usual. So, I dropped back to 3 days of cardio for this week, and then will work up to the 5x of cardio plus the LBWO.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #37  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi kids!

I'm just down and out sick - can I stress again that if you're going to train while sick, do it at home and not where you're spreading all your germs to everyone else?

I have this terrible head, throat and lungs cold - coughing like a lung might pop out. But food has been good!

I start my next semester next wednesday! I'm so excited. Last semester, I didn't schedule any exercise classes and BOY did I notice a difference. This semester I have a weight training class and a good chunk of time afterwards for cardio and dinner. Yay for me!

Anyway, I also wanted to share a recipe for anyone who can get their hands on some fresh ahi. I know, I'm a brat for living in Cali where I can pick this up at the farmer's market but it's such a excellent protein recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._19228,00.html
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 AM   #38  

hi all,

Jessica and Sugarcube: get well soon !!!. I also have a cold coming, but I try to keep it under control with lots of vitamin C.

Quadira: i for one love tohear what other folks are doing, gives me inspiration to what I am doing and I also find it a very usefull benchmark as to what i am doing. For instance, I also do not lose weight on 2 days cardio. presently i do cardio 5 days a week, at home. Ans funny enough I seem to need 2 days off to lose weight as well. I have no idea why but after a while I studied back on my logs, and there it was: I lost best in the weeks with 2 days off!.

So I guess you just have to figure what works best for you anyway.

Cindy: I also found out that you have toease up on the excercise else you get injuries. Apperently joints and ligaments take much longer then muscle to adjeust to a new load. As a workaround I use different cardio stuff, so ias to avopid overload, and that also keeps it from being boring.

Score for today: 10 mins rowing, 30 mins jogging, 30 mins stationary bike, and treated myself to a nice hot bath with book afterwards, did my hair AND put in lavender salts.

have a great day everyone,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #39  
Warrior of Grace

Hi all. Thanks to all of you for the input on my routine.

rabbit, I actually did get another slight injury. I'm pushing it just a little too hard. It's just a pain in my bottom (glut) and I am taking it easy to get over it. Doing only Upper body today. Good news: Groin is better... This is not fun.

I'm sorry for you who are sick! Hope you get better soon! During this season, when I have to go out, I use Wet Ones and I'm so careful about contact. Also, if I feel something coming on, I use Echinacea religiously and that works every time. Haven't been sick for years!

Have a good day.
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #40  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Jessica and Sugarcube, hope today finds you both a little...or alot better. Pace yourselves, don't overdo as you get better, you don't want relapses.

I am jealous about the rowing, rabbit. I was told Bally was going to have 2 rowing machines and now they are saying no. Darn! I really like rowing. I agree with you on the rest days. Wonder if it has something to do with when we lift, our muscles swell? Perhaps more water content? Usually after I have had my day(s) off is when I see the drop.

Woke early, and rather than going to the gym did a full upper body workout with Cathe Friendrichs CTX upper body tape, followed by a half hour of steady walking on my treadmill. I have been trying to end my cardio workouts with sideways lunges at a very slow speed, also on the treadmill. I saw a trainer doing it with someone at the gym, and thought it might help my hips.

Hope everyone's Thursday goes well.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #41  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all!!

I've had such a busy week. Work is crazy because everything everyone put on hold at the end of last year now needs to be done! I missed my first day of class last week and went to the second class meeting last night which required 1) taking a test and 2) picking a paper topic and 3) a major reading assignment. I went to the gym on Sunday but haven't been since but I am going today.

I also started Nutrisystem, which is an interesting experience. The food is ok so far but I have found that they don't build the program for people who do weight lifting, meaning if you do, they recommend adding more protein than the normal plan. I guess that makes sense because they are designing for people to do minimal exercise. I have noticed being hungry and craving protein so I am adding more protein and expect it to be much better.

Oh also, I have also started experiencing the "freezing all the time" feeling which seems to be common in people losing weight. I hope my body can adjust to not having as much insulation because it is killing my gas bill right now. My usual sleepwear of a tank top and undies sleeping under a down blanket has been replaced by a microfleece pajama set with warm socks and a down blanket under a down comforter.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #42  

Still feel awful and tired, so no real workout, just trying to eat right and getting lots of fluids and rest. Now DH has this ailment so we can all be sick together. Blah.

I like the rowing too, I use it mostly as a cool down or endurance exercise. Either 15 minutes or 30. It really relaxes my upper body.

Trainer for the office powerpoint equipment never showed, we have a new built in system, the more to break down in MHO, but it does leave me with the afternoon. I may wait until DD is out of school, scoop her up and head home. I doubt I would have retained any information anyway.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Well, how's everyone? Some sickness I see. Sorry to hear that. I wish you all better soon.

I'm not sick, just working nights

Unable to sleep once again, I dragged my sorry a$$ here and read for a while then before the feeling left jumped on the elliptical in my jammies and did 25 minutes. I almost feel good enough to do upper body now. Maybe I'll just do that.

Virgin pounds! I wonder what we'll call the horrid, overused two pounds I lose on nights every time
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

An update to say that I did go and do chest, arms and upper back. I really feel pretty good.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #45  
Mel

Hi everyone,
Hope the sickies are feeling better soon
Food has been good today....I made two huge salmon filets yesterday and have been having leftovers many ways. I luuuuuv salmon.
Lifted shoulders heavy, then did about a half an hour of balance work, and half and hour of fast treadmill walking. Kind of light on cardio today, but I couldn't get all sweaty

Off to watch CSI, my weekly TV vice

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote