Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

quickie post here to say that I have had 3 days of clean eats!!!! AND I finally did something to my hair, arched my brows, did a pedicure and started back wearing makeup (actually just lipstick but I LOVE it). I am feeling more like Me and less like the coach, mom, employee, limo driver for kids, maid. Whew! I knew I was in here somewhere!

Have a good one everybody!

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #77  

Finally on track!! I got up yesterday and today at 5:00 a.m. and at least did SOMETHING!!! Upper body yesterday - OK, so I used 3 lb weights, but it's a start! I need to start slowly so that I don't hurt myself and then give up like I have before. Today I did yoga and stretching, will walk/jog on the treadmill this evening. It does feel good to be moving again. I took “before“ photos and downloaded FitDay this weekend, and I am serious about making changes in my life now.

Sandy71, that’s great about the name change. Sometimes it’s the small things that keep us moving forward instead of backward. I especially like your “giving health a chance”. The way I’ve been living the last few years, health didn’t have a good chance.

Ilene, SNOW???? We had the first frost this morning and my DD said maybe it would snow for Christmas, she loves snow. We get decent snow so rarely here in NC that we make the most of it and can make snowpersons with 1 inch of the white stuff. And about the b-day, yeah, yeah, yeah, you really are a youngster! I’m not old, just mature!

Mel, my husband is a runner and he had the same thing happen when he had surgery, they kept being concerned because his heart rate and BP were so low!

WaterRat, my husband has fought PF for years with orthotics in his shoes and stretching and icing his feet. I know when your feet hurt; your whole body is affected. I’m glad you're better!

Well, back to work. Have a happy Tuesday, everyone!
Susan_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #78  
Ilene the Bean

Mature SusanL, , Yes we had snow flurries yesterday and today... It sucks to live around here sometimes although I really do like the seasons...I just wish Spring, Summer and Fall would be longer and Winter much shorter like the month of December for the Christmas Holidays that's it, that's all , back to Spring in January I'm not asking for much am I?

Tiki -- your post made me laugh, but I'm glad your back on track with everything!

Well, workout was awesome did shoulders and cardio I feel great, now I need a shower... Food has been spot on too...YAY!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #79  
Working My Way Back Down

Ilene, sympathies from another Northerner! We have about 18" of snow on the ground, and temps in the high teens and low 20's (F of course ) Actually the darkness is more bothersome than the cold/snow. My DH really suffers, even with a SAD light.

I did a good UBWO last night, plus some abs and 30 minutes on the treadmill. Tonight will be LBWO and more cardio (boorrring!) since I have other plans for Wed. Then I'll hit the gym again Thurs and Fri. I added an ab exercise that DH's PT gave him the other day (he has chronic back pain from having multiple compression fractures due to having cancer - which has been in remission for 4.5 years after a BMT) - anyway, it's easy and very effective for the more internal of your ab muscles (says the PT). You lie on your back, with knees bent, then lift your butt so you're in a bridge position (resting on shoulders and feet). Then tighten your abs and lift one foot, put it down and lift the other. The object is keep your core straight, and not to "rock" from side to side as you lift your feet. I did it last night and can feel it this morning.

Thanks for the welcome. I always need some interaction and support fo keep at this working out thing. I really hate being out of shape!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #80  

HI Guys,
I am tardy. I have been so freakin busy. It's all good though and I'm reading here and there when I get a chance. I think someone (like days ago...) asked me what I write my workouts in. I use a spiral bound 5X7 notebook. I have quite a collection of them now. I have been logging my workouts (at least 80% of the time) for 10+ years. I can see back when I was struggling with half the weight I use now!
I put what excersisies I did reps/sets and little notes.....
I just need to be so disciplined with logging my food. It only takes a second but I haven't been as consistant with that.
Anyway. Just wanted to say a quick "hi" and to say even though I am not posting a lot lately I AM reading and gleaning lot's of inspiration!
XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

OK now this forum makes me feel guilty enough to do something. I'm going to get off my slothful butt and go do abs. Don't let me back on for at least 25 minutes!

And the snow? I'm such a weinie I got my husband to drive me to work two nights in a row. Of course it didn't snow much and I felt like an idiot but ... it is nice to get into a warm car at 0700 hrs
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #82  

Go SusanB, Go! Your abs will thank you.

We're such snow weenies down here that if there is 1/2 inch of snow, they have to close schools becuz we don't have much snow removal equipment and the school buses have problems on the roads.

My evening went to he** in a handbasket and I haven't gotten on the treadmill yet. I just ate a banana to keep myself out of the brownies that I have to take to work tomorrow for a meeting. Oh well, the night's not over yet.
Susan_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I did a few minutes on the elliptical, crunches, leg lifts, oblique crunches. Now I feel like a tired night-shift-mole with a slender torso ... mmmm that's better.
Thanks for the encouragement SusanL
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #84  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, those Susans they stick together don't they??

Way to go SusanB for sticking to your plan...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:47 AM   #85  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick post. I'm back from the gymn: back and biceps, also cardio.

I've just about eased myself into doing three sets now. It's taken a bit of time and I've dropped the weights a bit but I'm there. And I'm enjoying it.

Now I'm easing up the cardio. I have to do it in the same session as the weights (it's logistics ...). And that's going well too.

Food is the current challenge. The Boy needs high calorie input, being at school and tearing around. The Man needs a lot of food, always has done and probably always will do. We all need loads of nutrients. We like to eat together. It's a work in progress for the three of us.

Mel - how's the body recovering? All this surgery! You've been having a real time of it. And the rest of it ... Life!

Tiki - *excellent* that you're back in touch with yourself. That is the best place to be. And I've heard you've got another date. Is that right?? Have a good time!

Everyone - good luck today! You can do it, and do it well!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #86  
Mel

Enough snow talk! There's a reason why we left Ontario for balmy Pennsylvania
Just a quick check-in before I head to the gym. I've been doing full body workouts this week, just 2 sets per exercise, and feeling ready to keel over at the end! 1/2 an hour of slow elliptical yesterday and you would have thought I'd climbed Mt. Everest. Oh well, SOMEDAY it will all come back (I hope!) One of the great things about training others is that I only have to be able to do an exercise once or twice with perfect form to look like I'm really fit

OK, can't put it off much longer, now I'm really going....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Balmy and Pennsylvania shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence unless there is a big NOT in between them. HAHHAAHAHA Good job on the lite fullbody workouts though. You obviously don't let much daunt you and that's a GOOD thing.

Four days of cleans eats down and working on Day 5. I got so hungry yesterday I got a headache but I hung in there until I got home for turkey sausage and kraut. (My new love - go figure).

Silver - Good luck on the food with the Boy and the Man. Those are challenges that never go away until they no longer eat with you and although the ultimate goal is for the Boy to grow, become Man2 and get his own place, Man1 better stick around and remain Man1!

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #88  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, eating. I start off with good intentions every morning, and usually make it through til mid-afternoon. After that it's a real struggle. Some days I make, some I don't. I've been doing better at planning for smaller meals, closer together. Right now my focus is on making my gym time a routine, and working on weight training specifically. If find that if I try to get everything under control at once, I end up with nothing under control! :lol So first, the workout thing, then the food thing (which isn't often, just needs more attention).

So I did a legs workout last night, with a 5 minute elliptical warmup first. My legs were so wobbly after those two things that I didn't do a cardio workout. I'm interested to know though about how quickly I can increase the weight for an exercise. I've been doing this about 3 weeks now, and I think I'm ready to go up on a couple. The gym owner who did my initial assessment said to give it 6 weeks, then start increasing, but I'm finding a couple of machines easy at this weight and my inclincation is to up the weight. Any reason not to? Others, I know I'm not ready as I'm hard put to keep my form on the last couple of reps.

And btw, our temps went up into the 40's and all of our snow is melting away and making a real mess of things - plus the wind is blowing like 40 mph. A nice day to be in by the fire (okay, so I'm working, but you get the idea!)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #89  
Mel

WaterRat- Whenever you can finish your reps in good form and feel you still have "something left", up your weights. Especially with legs, gains come faster because 1) the muscles are bigger to start with and 2) the tendons and ligaments are already used to carrying weight: YOU. For a gym newbie, part of the first couple of weeks (I would have said 4) is spent strengthing ligament and tendons and getting them used to the idea that they are going to do some work too. They are a little slower than muscles. Just make sure that your form doesn't suffer for the sake of poundage.

I failed at a full body workout today. I'm sick....I really love doing legs. I just never made it out of "leg land". I tried to go do quickie shoulders which is my least favorite, but couldn't do more that one set of presses before I thought I'd pass out. But I had a great leg workout

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:37 PM   #90  
Ilene the Bean

Oh Mel, I sure hope you get better soon or you're gonna kill yourself trying girl! Take it easy... Although I'm a fine one to talk I'd be at the gym as soon as I possibly could too ...

Tiki - Congrats on the clean eats days!! ..."turkey sausage and kraut. (My new love - go figure)." We must set you up with a man and I don't mean a sausage!! OoooH that doesn't sound right does it !!

WaterRat -- Keep up the good work outs and don't be scared of the heavier weights you WILL NOT bulk up... You'll just be and sexy !! And of course follow Mel's wise advice...

No gym today, just no time, but food has been excellent... Back to the gym, of course, tomorrow. Back and bis I think are on the agenda......