Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #46  
Mel

Good grief, Tiki, what a day. YOU need to find someone to kick in the butt! At least you don't need to be all dressed up tomorrow if the meetings are done. Hope it's an easier day!

Mel
Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 PM   #47  
WW Moderator

Well it started out fun, but the borrowed piece of gym equipment is missing a barbell rest. Hopefully he will be able to find it. Otherwise, I'll have to stick my husband in its place!

Now all I need to find is a list of exercises for lat bars and leg extensions. I only remember the basics.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #48  

Good Morning, LWL!

Tiki, honey, I'm sorry I didn't get back yesterday to read that, you poor little thing. IMO, working mom's have a set place in heaven. It's hard enough to deal with the kid part and the kid stuff they do, or happens while you're at work, so the last thing you needed was idiot co-workers. (Don't get me going about lack of work ethics.) As for the joker who kicked you, I'd being threatening assault charges, especially if others saw it. Not funny at all. I'm glad though, your Dad is OK. I'm sending you big cyber hugs although belated. It's a new day and FRIDAY. But one of those great mysteries of life is when we have a bad day, why do they seem to be really bad compounded with interest?

Welcome out of lurkdom, Jill! Looks like you've made some wonderful progress on the weight loss - Congratulations! I agree with Cindy about the 2 week membership and having your form checked. Who knows, maybe you'll like the gym and decide to stay.

Hi Pookie! Thanks for the appreciation.

Jack - You know darn well they didn't let me out for good behavior.

Karen - Yep, all caught up on Deadwood. Sopranos too. Dr. Melfi said something to Tony that has been haunting me all week - "Depression is rage turned inward." Interesting statement.

Mel - It's good to be back! Missed you and it's nice to see that smiling face of yours.

Gang, I need your help (PACT). I have no motivation to work out. I went down yesterday morning, did a little rowing and stepping, a set of flies and stopped. Now it used to be that if I lacked motivation, I would tell myself, "You're down here, might as well stay and finish," and then would really get into it. Yesterday I said to self that I just don't feel like doing this right now. Same thing happened when I got on the treadmill later. I did 25 minures and said "enough." I'm not sure if I just have "Spring Fever," or have allowed my good habits to slack, or am havig guilt because I *think* I'm not holding up my end of taking care of household matters the way I should. When I take time for myself at the boat, 90% of it is work and I have the luxury of not having to stop what I'm doing to cook or partner. But I come home and all this work is still here waiting for me. DH has gotten better or at least now when he comes home he asks if there's anything I need for him to do. Maybe I just need to adjust my schedule because it's getting to the time where I should be outside in the AM working before it gets too hot, and then work out. However, I come into the house and there's always something that needs to be done, like yesterday, it was cleaning carpet. In a nutshell, I think I've gotten away from putting me first, and just can't get back to it as I've got too many irons in the fire. After 7AM, the time is mine to handle but the days aren't long enough.

Any suggestions?

Hi to all and have a great day!

dip
Old 05-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #49  
Meg

Dip — don’t know if this is what you have in mind, but here are some things that work for me.

When I find myself starting to slide back into bad habits or just not keeping up my new good habits, I try and STOP and take a few minutes to figure out what’s going on (I think that’s the stage you’re at right now). Then what I do is get back to basics. I know what works! I know exactly what I SHOULD be doing — it’s not a mystery to me how I lost the weight and what I have to do to maintain it.

When I say “get back to basics”, I really get back to basics! Weight Loss 101. A long time ago, I set up daily and weekly charts of workouts, goals, cardio etc. So I print out my little daily sheets that have check-off boxes for things like cardio, working out (places to write the whole workout down, exercises, reps, weights etc.), water, vitamins, everything darn thing that I can think of that made my weight loss work originally. Then I go to Fitday and plan out my meals, print that out, write times down next to the meals and slap that up on the refrigerator door. THEN I sit down with my planner and figure out when I’m going to do cardio and when I’ll do weights (if it’s a workout day).

It’s sooooo Mickey Mouse , but I like checking off all those stupid little boxes as the day goes on. And at the end of the day I can look and see that I’ve done everything that’s within my power to make it a perfect day. How my body reacts is beyond my control, of course, but I like the satisfaction of knowing that I’ve accomplished everything that I had planned.

What your weight loss basics are may be totally different from mine. But think back to what you KNOW works for you and try to get back into it, just like when you were first starting out.

I think you’re on the right track with having to put yourself first again. There’s always going to be something else that needs to be done. But this is too important to let slide! Cleaning carpets vs. being healthy and fit? You KNOW the answer to that one! You need to be a priority in your life and it doesn’t make you selfish or a bad person.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #50  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the welcome!

Tiki - ugh! That day must have been AWFUL! I hope today goes much, much better.

Dip - It sounds like you are struggling to put the Important Things before the Urgent Things - maybe you could prioritize the things you need to do (and make sure doing your workout is right up there at the top), and then do things in that order. What you don't have time to do just won't get done - there's nothing wrong with that.

I think I will try the free trial gym membership, but it'll have to wait till next week at least. I'm off to NC to visit my brother's family this weekend. Unfortunately, my brother is in Haiti right now (Army), but I'll get to see my SIL and my adorable niece and nephew!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #51  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Hello gang ! Sorry for being MIA ! I've been buzzzy buzzy and the 'puter has been acting up, and I could not download pages from any sites... DH reconfigured it and it's fine now , whew I was getting worried. I was going to post from work but we've been sooooo freakin' busy that we barely have time to do our regular stuff... I work in an intermediate school grades 7&8 and on some days they are BAAAAD!!! But today I biked with the grade 7 kids and got paid for it, so that was pretty cool...Just like a few years ago I got paid to be a monitor to go skiing for the day! Geez how difficult is that?! It was a perfectly beautiful day today too.

Now Dipster dear, I must get to you first!! Yes, Ilene the Bean/Queen/Machine will Scream!! Ask yourself just one question : Do you remember what happened last year when you didn't think of yourself? You certainly didn't look this HOT that's for sure!! So get back to thinking of YOU and being selfish because if YOU don't no one else will... Then what? Being unhealthy will lead to all the diseases that come along with it and YOU won't be able to be of help to anyone. Also think about it when you're not in good shape, Dip, eventually you won't be able to put your best into the boat, the yard, etc, etc, because you won't have the energy because of lack of exercise. Then I'm also sure that along with lack of exercise you will probably not eat well, we all know the two go hand in hand... It is a vicious circle that sucks big times, but we must talk to ourselves, get back on the wagon, get our behinds in gear and move on!! Ok, done now....

Tiki -- Altho my days have been busy, they don't sound quite as as yours... Hope you have a sunny, happy, healthy weekend in your neck of the woods....

JILL!! WOOHOO!! A NEWBIE!! WE LUVS NEWBIES!! WELCOME!!

Ok I'm outta here... want to go lurk... and go to bed big 16th birthday in the making for my S ...

TTFN
Old 05-15-2004, 01:38 AM   #52  
For my HEALTH...

DIP: Keep going so you can lead the way for me and others like me who are lurking here.

Ilene da I'm eating Clean-- Just cause it rhymes!
Old 05-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #53  

Smile

WOW, THANKS! for caring and sharing you guys.

Mz. Pookie, you have laid a large responsibility on me, but it hit home for sure. Thinking back to the core basic of BASICS 101, my mind blurted out, "Don't tell the world what you're going to do, show it." I say that to other people, and I should discontinue being a hypocrit and reapply it to my own realm. "Break Time" is hence over, and I'm back to the basics, beginning with scheduling and preparing, the grocery shopping on Sunday and Wednesday, and of course, the daily cardio. I will devour all my saved materials on lifting and just do it! I swear, no more excuses to myself for lack of self-discipline.

AND LOOK AT YOU WITH 40 POUNDS GONE!

Ilene - It drives me batty some times that you, and Meg for that matter, know me so well. You're right - the energy and strength has disapated, and I'm not moving as fast or gracefully for that matter, as I was before I slacked off. I'm also retaining water like crazy, which could be from the heat too, but I won't know that unless I get back on program. Like Cindy's sig line - "who do I want to be today?" - today I want to be the "dip" you have come to know, not the old Deb in the size 28 stretch jeans and 3X tee-shirts. I haven't looked at our photo album for awhile, and will now because Meg's and Karen's albums were one of my basic motivators. I've also stopped thinking that I just have to lose another 40 pounds, and set a short term goal by July 4th. So when in July are we going to do photos?

Meg - You reminded me of one of the things I haven't been doing this past few weeks that most certainly felt good and was motivating - checking off the the little daily accomplishments. I can't believe that I've allowed myself, actually deprived myself, of these little joys just because I let myself get so side-tracked. Some people may *think* that these things like writing it all down are obsessive compared to free-wheeling it, but we know it's not. It's an absolute necessity to not only changing but maintaining the new habits and behaviors. Also, I stopped to think where was I a year ago? 11 months ago I found 3FC, you, Karen, etal, and my life changed. I'm going to reread all the posts that I've bookmarked that led to that change.

Hi to all and hope your weekend is the best! We bought plants and seeds for DH's garden last night and hope to get most of it in the next 2 days. I still need to get my flowers and put in some trees, so as badly as we needed the rain, it can stop now, thank-you. We also did some truck shopping, and I see what is tickling DH's fancy. But I think we'll wait til July when the dealers want to move the 2004's for the 2005's. He's thinking about a hybrid too, but they will be too pricey the first few years, I'm sure. I'd like a hybrid too, just for the satisfaction of being able to say, "screw you, OPEC."

OK, I'm outta here to get my cardio done and then off to Flowerland before the crowd.

I can't express how much better I feel about everything this morning - you guys are the bestest!

More and

dip
Old 05-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #54  
Mel

Morning LWL!
Dip, that sounds so much more like the REAL DIP talking again, it's so good to hear the steel (or p&V) back in your post I think the physical list making is so important to moving forward as well as maintaining. Sometimes (OK, this is going to sound really anal) I even stop to make a list in the middle of the day and include those things I've already done, just to have the satisfaction of crossing them off. It feels so much better to have evidence that you've accomplished things than to wander aimlessly from task to task. Now that you've been kicked back onto the path and hauled yourself upright- here are a few kinder, gentler thoughts: the journey is rarely a straight line, so don't get too down on yourself for straying from your pathway. You've taken on a big task in effort, time, mental shift. I think maybe you fell into one of the maintaining complacency pot-holes before you were quite there. Very understandable given how far you've already come. Unfortunately, complacency can only last so long before it turns into a backslide. Congratulations for stopping it! Coming here and posting is one of the best things for me to keep me out of those pot-holes.

Pookie! Look at your new signature! Congratulations

Morning Ilene! Love the idea of getting paid to go for a bike ride but with grade 7 and 8'ers!!! Living with one of them is enough!

Have a good week-end all. It's in the high 80's-90's here. Too hot to feel motivated about much. Summer happened too quickly. But if it's 70 in Pitt., it should be cooler here in a day.

Mel
Old 05-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #55  
Meg

Quote:
the journey is rarely a straight line, so don't get too down on yourself for straying from your pathway.
Mel — that’s so, so true and remembering it helps to keep the journey in perspective for the times that we inevitably fall into some of those potholes. Some days/weeks are easy and some are just so darn hard. Just when I’m sailing along, thinking that this is a piece of (figurative) cake and I’ve got it all figured out, something comes along to humble me. When I hear someone saying that this — diet, exercise, new lifestyle — is easy and effortless, I think to myself: wait a bit. Live it for a while and then come back and tell me how easy it is for you. There’s peaks and valleys, ebbs and flows, and lots of detours. But as long as we’re committed to the journey for life, we’ll all get there, in our own time and in our own way.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #56  
Ilene the Bean

DANG I'm upset!!! I just came back to check on things and the post I "thought" I posted this morning is GONE!!!! I had been here between Dip's and Mel's posts! Oooooo that annoyes me!

Anywhoo, no sense crying over that! But now I have to make this post super quick if I want to get everything I want done!

Dip -- Great minds think alike! Last night after logging off I remembered that I forgot to mention our pic taking in July! Yes, m'dear the first week of July is the date.... I'm there with ya... I too have been lax in the food dept... So at Megs suggestion as of today I'm going bact to Healthy Lifestyle 101... I broke down and bought the two Dr. Phil books and in his eating plan book I'm going to kick start myself with his plan, but only modified a bit by adding a little more lean protein at the snacks...Dip I'm glad your P&V is back also!!

So now I gotta go...I'm still p****d at that post!!

p.s.: Pook - on the new sig
Old 05-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #57  

Default Let's not forget Plan B

Hi everyone, and Happy Saturday.

Commencement Week 2004 is history. I slept in my own bed last night for the first time in nearly a week, and this morning I drew up the usual shopping list, had a training session with the dog, and fired up the PC. I forget what a luxury a full-sized screen is until I spend a week with a laptop. Whew, am I glad it's over for another year!

I'm happy to report that I survived the buffet barrage with flying colors. My weight is exactly the same as the day I left. I was able to get some fairly clean meals in restaurants, and while I didn't get nearly as many veggies as I would have liked, I did not succumb to the many evils lurking on those groaning boards. I only have one question: Is there a mid-priced restaurant in America that serves a nice dry salad with interesting greens? Why does everything come sopping wet and soggy. aaarrrggg.

Hey Dip, I have just one other thought, and it's this: Let's not forget Plan B. It sounds to me like you're putting in long and busy days. And compared to those of us who do our best work sitting down, you're really active, which means you're burning calories. It may not be the same as 45 minutes of cardio or a good lifting session, but it's something. So, could you not add, say, one session of something? Maybe a cardio workout in the morning or a weight workout in the afternoon. Plan it that way. Check it off when you've done it. And feel good about it.

Meg, could you/would you share your check lists? I love check lists, and I always learn something when I look at someone else's.

Ah, Tiki, could I relate to your post. Twelve high-maintenance worthies is enough to put anyone around the bend. Twelve hot and sticky high-maintenance worthies is even worse. However, that butt-kicking colleague is another matter all together. Not acceptable in my book. I hope you have an HR or a boss or someone to go to if it happens again.

Jill, welcome.

And hi to everyone else. I'm afraid I've got to run ... there's a week's worth of chores awaiting my attention.

Hugs to all.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:09 PM   #58  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Weekend LWL!

Hey, where's Nola? I know JC is busy moving, but we haven't heard from our other Aussie lately....

Dip - glad to hear you're gearing back up and done with your "break". And glad to know my sig line helps - I tend to forget what it says, but it really is a great quote from Bill Phillips to keep in your mind on those days when that piece of whatever looks so good and it feels like progress has been slow...

Tiki - sorry to hear about your day from heck - I think I would have totally gone off on that coworker myself. "What da fa" is right!

Well, I've got a much neglected house to tend to - those dang cats mess it up constantly! If I could only get them to pitch in on the housework!

Hello to everyone - Robin, congrats on surviving your week, Ilene, sorry about your post! I'm in for pictures in July as well - that will be the end of another Challenge for me then.

Everyone have a great weekend!
Cindy
Old 05-15-2004, 11:33 PM   #59  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

Wow... been super busy this week I was in 3 different states flying around. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with you guys. I also had 2 interviews for a new job, spread my Dad's ashes, prepared for moving in a week's time, finished my old job, went to Qld to check on our new house, and had family visit for 5 days. As I mentioned very very busy.

I hope that you are all doing fine - I am well but my diet and exercise have been only average. It's cool though there are more important things to concentrate on at the moment.

Well I had better get back to cleaning. I just wanted to check in.

JC
Old 05-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #60  
Ilene the Bean

Hey JC -- Nice to hear from you and that you are doing well considering everything else in your life! Congrats!

Miss Cindy -- Great pics at the MSN site! What a difference!

Here's the link girls check it out:

http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLi...to&PhotoID=195

Yesterday was a fairly good day. I went to the gym did chest, then ran... It was DS's 16th so we have a few people over... the food intake wasn't perfect and I also had wine... Today will be 100% better....

Not much else to say, it's a nice day so I will take advantage of the nice weather to bike...

Later all!
Closed Thread