Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:37 PM   #76  
Mel

Well said, Tik! Back to the gym, IN Robin!

This has been a rough week for me. Food and water are good, but I've got a sinus infection and am having a tough time convincing myself to do much more than half-hearted cardio. I did an awsome chest and tri workout on Monday, played racqetball and did wimpy cardio on Tuesday, and did even wimpier cardio today. I was supposed to do legs with my trainer, but he took one look at me and told me to bag it Since he's also my boss, I question whose interest he was looking out for- we are short on trainers and if I'm too sick to work he'll be less than thrilled. So I went home and did wimpy legs.

Newfies??? I just can't get the avatar thing right! They're supposed to be standard poodles like my non-show dog Cleo LOL! I need to install photoshop on my new computer and come up with a new avatar.

Sandi- I'm with JC on the "do it when you are most likely to get it done" school. I've almost always workout out in the afternoons and it seems to work just fine. Especially with weights, I'm just too dopey to be safe in the gym in the wee hours with no food in me.

Mel
Old 03-10-2004, 08:14 PM   #77  
JEC
Aussie and proud

OMG the first 30 minutes of my day are total auto pilot!

JC
Old 03-10-2004, 08:30 PM   #78  

Well, Mel, you do the really sensible thing and put an Airedale there.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #79  
Meg

Good morning from New Mexico! My body still thinks it's in the Eastern Time zone so it snapped awake at an ungodly hour. I'm going to hit the exercise room in a bit and then the Starbucks in the lobby opens at 6, so I'll be set for the day.

Thanks to DD's laptop, a phone modem, and a free AOL trial, we're kind of on-line here at the hotel. The computer is a necessity for the apartment hunt, we've discovered, especially in getting maps to where we're going. By Sunday, I suspect we'll know Albuquerque inside out! We started off yesterday at the UNM -- beautiful and huge campus -- and DD got admitted into the EMS program right off the bat. So now we're focusing on finding an apartment for her and one very furry cat.

As always, I'm enthralled by the beauty of the Southwest. We're at a mile high here in Albuquerque, with the Sandia Mountains that border the city rising to 10,000 feet (at some point this morning, I'll be able to watch the sun rise over the top of them). One apartment we saw overlooks the mountains -- I dont think DD would ever get tired of coming home at the end of the day to that view! Today we're going to explore the area by the Rio Grande River, west of the city.

I did a half hour on the elliptical yesterday and could feel the effect of the altitude -- got tired fast. I also feel very dehydrated, but it's hard to keep up on water away from home. Food's been OK for the most part, if we overlook the wine and chocolate on the first night here.

I wish I had time to read and write more but I don't want to wake up DD, so and I miss you all!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #80  

Good Morning, LWL

Hooray, Hooray, it's upper body day! I'm just trying to be optimistic as I sit staring out into a dank, cold and gray day. Just reading Meg's post about Albuequerque makes my heart long for anywhere but here right now.

Although we had plenty of sun yesterday, the wind was cold and razor blade cutting. I walked the yard yesterday, with tears and snot running down my face from the cold wind, and got frustrated over all the heavy clean-up work that needs to be done. I was frustrated because it was too cold to really drag out all the equipment and get started. However, the promise of new life emerging from the ground made me hopeful.

I needed a lift so I had a Mary Kay makeover last night and tried some Spring colors. That was fun. But what I find amusing about myself is that I used to make sure my hair and make-up were meticulous just to go to the grocery store. Now I think nothing of throwing my hair in a ponytail and ball cap, and dust on a little powder and mascara. I used to have to plan 2 hours to get ready to go anywhere. I guess I'm over trying to draw the attention away from my body.

Legs are still sore from the other night and an intense cardio yesterday morning, so no cardio until this evening. Going down in a few to do UBWO.

IN Robin - just put those good ol' LWL blinders on and do it. At least you're there at the gym and doing what you need for *you.* (Pot calling kettle black): why should we care what people who are not a part of our real lives think? Like Tiki said, older women are in, so it's our time to shine and show 'em why. Glad this trend happened at 50 and not 70.

Mel - get over that sinus infection real quick! Lots of that going around again, and we all know how vulnerable we get when we're sick, and become instant weenies too.

Hey to everyone! Hope y'all have a great day, and work it, work it, and work it again.

dip
Old 03-11-2004, 09:03 AM   #81  

Hello everyone,

I have not been good most of this week so far. My Mom has stayed over and goes home tomorrow, I have had to have some testing done on my heart, I go this morning for the last one. I am hoping i get my grove back on tomorrow. Ok, I am not hoping, I am stating, I WILL get my grove back on tomorrow

Hope you are all doing great, Im sure you are though
Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Mel, I thought they were poodles. If you want to make your avatar REALLY cool, add some elephants. I'm an elephant collector - keep saying I'm gonna get one tattoed on my back. So far, I haven't got the nerve up, but ONE DAY.......

Babysteps - I LIKE that attitude improvement - no hope, instead you WILL.

Dip - did you like the spring colors makeover? are you gonna change your look for spring? we know you are going to flip your wardrobe because you are shrinking, but what else are you gonna do new?

Meg - New Mexico sounds beautiful. If you can get a pic of the sunrise / mountains we would love to see it.

So Robin-IN - did you get it hoppin this morning with the cardio?

Speaking of cardio, where is the queen?

I did not make it to AM cardio, the crew kept waking up and waking ME up last night so sleep was awful. I hope I can get a quick stop into the gym today before I get the crew back from their dad. Oh yeah, food is still clean. Go Tiki, Go Tiki.

Peace.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #83  

BabySteps - Nice to hear from you. No doubt, everyone should have a complete physical before embarking on a food change/exercise program. Please let us know the outcome of your tests, and if it will effect your approach with any restrictions, or toward any particular program.

Best,

dip
Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #84  

Go Tiki, Go Tiki - doin' the tiki dance. Yep, I'm going to change lipstick, blush and nail polish colors to pinks. Tried some warm eye shadows, but I don't do the eyes up unless I'm going out. Going with pumpkin and pinks for tops, and red. I'm also getting over my "color-phobia." I wore a red velvet warm-up jacket last night, and the crowd went wild. I haven't worn red in eons. I am not big into fashion or anything, but paying more attention to my own "style." Another thing I haven't done in eons - demonstrate style. Kind of hard to do when you have to settle for what you can find that fits.

BTW, tikster, I wanted to commend you on how you're teaching your children about healthy food and how to cook. I wish you were my mom! Big ((hugs)) for being so wise.

ledom - you out there? what's up?

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 03-11-2004 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typing too fast
Old 03-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #85  

Hello everyone! I had a great great spinning class last night! It's the first time I've gone to one in over a year and I had forgot how much I love them! I used to go in the winter when I couldn't just ride outside but then I didn't start up again with it this winter until now and boy I enjoy it! Anything that even remotely resembles a bike...I'm all for it!

Meg - I'm soooo jealous of you! I absolutly love New Mexico...the majority of my family is out there and I miss it and love going to visit when I can! Hopefully I'll be able to get out there sometime this summer. Good luck on that apartment search! I'm sure you'll find something lovely.

Mel - hope that sinus infection goes away, those things are not fun!

Robin - I love Newfies!!! My Chloe is the most beautiful, huge Newfie! I was cheering when Josh won, good for the Newfies!!! hehehe

BabySteps - nice to see you again! It's important to see your doctor and make sure everything is working well before you start a major life changing exercise and eating plan. But good for you making a commitment to do this!

Hello to everyone I haven't mentioned! Have a great day!

melissa
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #86  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hi Dipster girl - It has been one of those weeks for me. My kayak trip last weekend has involved some major recovery on my part. I didn't tell ya'll about being in on two rescues when members of our party flipped over in swift water. Fishing them out of the river while also chasing down their gear was exhilerating, but scary too. Both times my adrenaline rush was over the top - I do believe that exhausted me on a level I seldom get to. One night this week I slept for 12 hours.

To top it off, this has been interview week for a new faculty member in my department which is a lot of extra work on top of trying to keep up w/ my students. I can relate this to our experience here at LWL in a very vivid way. We interviewed two men and 1 woman, each person that came through seemed more wonderful than the last, I guess that is a good problem to have but also a difficult one. We will decide who to invite tomorrow as a group, but I can almost tell you who will be selected - the woman. And do you know why? She seemed the most stable, the most focused, and my perception is in no small part due to the fact that she was extremely fit and healthy looking. She was the only one who didn't order fried food at lunch, the one who carried a water bottle around with her all day, the one who talked about her physical activities. It sure got me to thinking about how much more positively I perceived her, and I know in no small part because of her healthy habits. It was been an eye opener and inspirational. All of the interviewees were quite young so it wasn't her youth, it was her health that was so vibrant and attractive.

I opened up my fitday account again this morning. I have been spending time figuring up nutritional information on some of the things I cook. I plan to count calories again for a while.

I love N.M. too and would love to live there. The next best thing is that I am going to vacation in Santa Fe at the end of May. I can't wait!

On coffee, I found the best flavor at the store last night. It is Millstone's Chai Spice. I make it in a french coffe press, strong. Yum! I love chai tea, but can't have because of the sugar and milk, this is a great sub for that. Maybe even better!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #87  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello everyone - I've been lurking a bit as I've been in a bit of a slump lately.... nothing really in regards to issues with my fitness program or diet performance, just some personal things and some head things. Makes me not feel very chatty or positive, so I tend to avoid my lists when this happens.

I watched Monday's Dr. Phil show which gave the update on the challengers. I was kind of bummed to hear that many of the women on there have lost anywhere from 40 to 60 pounds in the last five months. As a rule, I don't focus on the scale, but at that the same time, I *know* that I have to lose at least another 20# of fat to get into the shape I want to be. I really don't think it's possible for me to gain that in muscle and weigh the same, so I really need to figure out how to do something about that. Although, if I look at the stats on JC's signature, maybe it is possible....

I know you gals are going to say "more cardio" - believe me, that's occurred to me as well. But, with working full time (usually at least 9-10 hours/day), I don't know how I can get in 2 workouts a day. And I'm not willing to forego my lifting workouts - that's what I enjoy the most.

Not really asking for advice or guidance, just venting.... thanks for listening.

The bottom line is that my shape/size is still changing, just not a quickly as I'd like it to be. And the reality is probably that I just have to be satisfied with what I'm getting, as long as it keeps moving some. I just need this mood to pass, and I'll be ok again!
Cindy
Old 03-11-2004, 11:50 AM   #88  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Oh Cindy, I wish for you some peace with your body and your accomplishments. Do you realize what an astounding success you are? You may compare yourself to the ladies on Dr. Phil, but I compare myself to you and see where I have fallen way short in comparison. The fact that your shape/size continues to change says so much about the things that you are doing right. I think in the long run the way you have gone about making your transformation is right on. Chin up girlfriend, you are special. I know I'd enjoy being your friend, you have great taste in movies, men (Colin Firth). And sounds like you are a great cook - just the kind of person I'd want to be in my supper club, healthy but tasty cooking. I often think after reading your posts you'd be a person that would be fun to hang out with. Anyway, don't be hard on yourself. The long hours you work have to be taken into consideration, I think the thing that is so important in our quest for health and transformation is to realize that we must be realistic in our goals and dreams in order not to frustrate ourselves.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #89  
cookies are for browsers

Hey Cindy,

You have really inspired me a lot because we have a lot in common - both single, pretty, and successful, both with a couple of challenges under our belts. I was getting a bit discouraged last month because the scale was NOT budging. I took 30 minutes on a Saturday morning and took my measurements, body fat, jeans size, and overall appearance and compared them to my start photo and starting stats. I was suprised to find I'd lost several inches, but only a few pounds. I am SURE you are having the same kind of "slow down" but it isn't a slow down, you are toning up and the changes might not be as obvious as the ladies on Dr. Phil. After all, you've spent a lot more time on this, haven't you? It makes sense to me that the body slows down the scale and speeds up the measuring tape when you are lifting weights and getting buff.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, girl. You are an inspiration and you help more people than you will ever know!

hugs,

Jennifa
Old 03-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #90  
Ilene the Bean

Cindy !! I can so understand where you are coming from... I have a principal that has lost 26# since JAnuary! It frustrates me to no end so see her melt away and she's not even working out! I just keep telling myself that under that beautiful designer clothes, she just MUST be MUSH! and she will probably gain it back when she stops going to weigh in DAILY at Herbal Magic, WE all know there is NO magic pill... Calories in Calories out! I too saw the Dr.Phil program, I really don't understand how they do/did it either... I've been in a bit of a slump too since Monday... As soon as I'm finished this post I'm off to the gym, I've missed it tremendously... Food has been OK but not squeaky clean like I like it!...

Robin -- I also understand how you feel about going to the gym when there youngin's are there... I have the same problem.... I see alot of the young men that were at the HS that I worked at last year.... But I keep reminding myself that when I see someone older than me, in their 60's or 70's that I admire them for being in shape at that age, so I hope that by EXAMPLE in my late 40's the young folks will think the same...

Tik -- I commend you for showing your kids how to eat properly, I know it is extremely difficult. I have an almost 16 yr old who is FINALLY liking stir fries! WOOHOO! D last night had an upset stomach and complained that she had eaten too much junk throughout the day, so had brocoli as an evening snack instead of her usual popcorn... our hard work may take a while to show but it does eventually!

Like I said it's been a slump week... hohum in every way... I have been lurking and learning from all the great posts... I just didn't have much to say for a change!

Well I am off to the gym... Gonna do LEGS!! and maybe cardio depending how noodly my legs are after my w/o...

Sooooo later all and to everyone I've missed !!
Closed Thread