Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 06:19 AM   #31  

Good Morning, LWL!

Well, I learned my lesson not to just lurk but to be pro-active. Yesterday I lurked but didn't take the time to post. Last week I was stressing - this week I am obsessing, over the new boat thing.

Look at all the newbies posting! Welcome to all of you!

BabySteps - we have all gone the start and stop route. ****, I joined my gym in 1994 or 95, paid the annual membership and hardly went until I forced myself to go. Then it became habit, and enjoyment. It's about changing bad habits into good ones, and like Tiki said, "There is no try - you DO." You have to play mind games with yourself at first to develop the new habits, one day at a time, one meal at a time and one work-out at a time. You have to learn to foucus on YOU. My first mind game was, "I'm paying for this gym membership, so I need to get my money's worth." Please stick around - if there is any group that will assist you in being accountable to yourself while giving you the support you need, you will find it here.

Hi Pookie and welcome to you too! I'll have to get over to WLS to catch up.

Sandi - I see some great progress in your future! I am so excited for you, I could burst.

Robin - I'm here! Just was busy doing net research on boats we're looking at, and writing back and forth with our marina to make sure they have a slip big enough available for our picks so far. And that's going to be a problem because we don't want to have to move to the *other* marina that is more of a posh resort type. Too high falutin' (sp?) with huge houseboats and too busy. Just not our style. The name of the boat I want is SILENCE, and that about describes why I like to sail. I checked out some of my gardens yesterday and I do have stuff coming up. But I plant things and don't remember from year to year what they are until they bloom. Always makes for a pleasant surprise. I was thinking yesterday too that as soon as the weather gets a little better, we need to get together.

Hi Jif! How ya doin'? I'm glad to see you getting the WLS's interested in our forum. I'm a believer!

JC - What's wrong, sweetie? We're here for you, so whenever you're ready. . .

Nola- I'm having a love-hate relationship with the scale too these days, but I can't put it down. I was even letting myself *think* there is some kind of pre-setting that even if I'm losing, it won't go below 180. Sunday I was so desperate, I put on my size 14's, still too tight around the butt, and wore them for 3 hours. And a tank top. I did get something out of it - the encouragement to keep going, in spite of my ahem, indescretions of the previous weeks. We have to have fun, and enjoy ourselves from time to time - even if it means a few too many beers or food. I know you are back on track by the time you read this.

Hi to all, and I wish I had more time right now to say more. I will try to get back later on today, I promise. Happy to report that food and work-outs are on target and clean. And this morning, the scale finally moved down to 179.4. Now to keep it in the 170's this week, and downward hereafter.

Although Sunday was suppose to be a rest day, I did some brisk walking on the tread while watching the hour program before the SATC. And yes, I cried the last 10 minutes. I was surprised at myself because I was never really a big fan of that show because of my "conservatism." However, the character development was touching, especially Miranda. And, I'm a sucker for love stories and happy endings.

Have a great, healthy and safe day!

dip
Old 02-24-2004, 08:05 AM   #32  

I'm back and just wanted to add about my handweight collection. My first set of 2# were wrapped in lime green vinyl. I gave them to an older lady a few months ago when I spotted soup cans in her bathroom. I knew what she was doing with the soup cans without even asking.

I still have hand weights from 5-10#, various sizes and colors that now sit on my "weight rack" in my gym in the basement. They are milestone reminders for me. I keep a set of 8 and 10# here on the first floor, for stretching and treadmill lunges. I also have 2 sets of loaded dumbbells, one on the first floor and one set in the basement. I am more prone to use the dumbbells than the barbell because I'm home alone when I lift, and the barbell scares me in case I get stuck and no one is here to help.

Mixing it up this morning, so I'm down to the basement for some work, and will do cardio and treadmill lunges this afternoon.

What's your favorite meal? Mine is 1 egg, 2 whites and 3 tablesppons of All-whites. scrambled with pre-nuked chopped green peppers, seasoned with onion powder, and a piece of 5 grain toast, a cup of tomato juice or 1/2 grapefruit with Splenda. I have that 3-4 times a week for meal 1, and will add 2-3oz of lean hamsteak every other time. Meal 1 is usually my biggest, most enjoyed of the day.

dip
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #33  

Just time for a quick checkin before Tuesday gets away from me. Once again, I have survived the biggest challenge of every day: the walk down the hall to the little shop that sells coffee. Naturally, this little shop sells a lot more than coffee -- pastires, donuts, bagels, ice cream, smoothies and those enticing muffins. Now, the sad truth of the matter is that they all LOOK far better than they taste, but their looks are almost irresistable. Why is that, do you suppose? I know that they all taste like highly sweetened cardboard, but they sing to me every morning. This morning, however, I was armed with a secret weapon: those wise words by that great sage Yoda. You do it or you don't. Thanks Tiki, I needed that!

My favorite meal? Hmmm ... I must admit to a real fondness for breakfast. Either scrambled egg whites with a piece of whole grain toast, or BFL pancakes. But my chicken-brown rice-spinach lunch combo gets me through thick and thin, and I adore grilled fish and oven roasted veggies. Finally, a spot of steel cut oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of dried cranberries is the cure for whatever ails me, especially in the afternoon.

Thinking of food ... Sabrina, your shopping list looked great. Why don't you add eggs and cottage cheese to your list of staples. As you read this board you will find that we are all consuming our weight in both. I probably have curds in my veins.

BabySteps: Are you here this morning? Check in. Tell us how you are. What are you eating? Are you exercising -- maybe a walk, maybe a workout? Invest yourself. It's a primary key to success!

Ilene ... the freezer ... why didn't I think of that. I've read so much about the darn stuff going rancid that I've become paranoid. You are a genius.

Well, phooey, I guess I've got to go earn this paycheck they give me. What a bummer, and before I go, I want to find WLS.

Have a great one chickies.

rrg
Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 AM   #34  

Angry

Good morning all, I hit the gym this morning a little earlier and had to do my abs while waiting for the treadmill. I do not like to wait, but my small apartment will never hold a treadmill (not even a folding one)

Anyhow, i got my cardio in and my abs but my legs were killing me from my big workout yesterday so I sweated like I don't know what...probably my body detoxing all those yucky things I ate last week out!!!!
My legs are sore today and i had to do a good stretch when finished because my butt and hams were feeling it like it hasn't in a long time. I have to do my workouts like that again for sure!
But I am glad to be back at it, it makes me feel so strong, it is envigorating....yeah to me!

Ilene- i have heard about ground flax but what is it good for? Also I experience irritable bowel syndrome and not interested in irritating it so will this affect it for me? Any info is helpful...thanks

Baby Steps- it is easy to say you cannot than you can, especailly when we are used to trying something and failing, I know I have been there too, we all have. So do not feel alone, come here and talk about it and we will help you thru it. Also remember the tortouise won the race...slow and steady every time, it takes time, it took time for the weight to go on and it will take time for the weight to go off. Slow and steady wins the race!!!!! You CAN DO IT!!!! I BELEIVE IN YOU!!!!!!!!! big hugs to you today!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies, I have been posting here since a little while before xmas and feel like part of the gang, everybody here made me feel this way so you should feel that way too....the more the merrier!!!!

Favorite meal---not sure who is asking but mine is breakfast, 1st meal after my workout, it is the most satisfying meal of my day. I either have oatmeal with sweetener and cinnamon and two boiled eggs, or like today have two eggs omelette with two slices of toast with a little bit of jam (no butter)
I was eating cottage cheese with either fruit or yogurt mixed in but I had some that had gone bad and I have not been able to eat it since , I will have to get over that soon, I need some variety too.

Anyway you guys have a great day, I will see you tomorrow, nice to be back, thanks for all the nice things you have said.....hugs to all today
Old 02-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #35  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Fat Tuesday morning LWL! (and Wed. for our friends down under!)

Just wanted to pop in and share some of my endorphin-high good mood with you all - man I love how I feel after a good cardio w/o!

Hello and welcome to all the newbies - I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the new names, so I won't be more specific than that! Hello to everyone else as well!

I leave first thing tomorrow on my business trip, so still trying to workout the whens of getting my workouts in. I so hate a disruption in my routine!

Speaking of Fat Tuesday, today KK opened here - the lines and traffic were/are ridiculous! Good timing though, the day before Lent starts. And, speaking of Lent, yet another first for me this year - not having to give something food-related up, as I usually do! I just love how this fitness thing has shaken up all my old "traditions".

JC - hope you are doing alright - let us know how you are this morning.

Favorite meal - breakfast on the weekends, most definitely! During the week, I just have a Myo Lite for meal one, but on weekends I cook for myself. Either scrambled eggs/whites w/LF sausage and OJ, or Protein pancakes w/LF sausage links. YUM!

Robin - I think I have cottage cheese in my veins as well - I find that I often eat as much as 2 cups per day!

Dip - congrats on the possible new-boat excitement, and congrats on seeing the 170's! Now if I could only follow your lead and get my butt into the 180's!

Ok, enough rambling - need to get to work. I'll probably be scarce the rest of the week, so you gals have a good one. I'll check in when I can.
Cindy
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Dip - so glad that you resurfaced. We were about to put an APB out on you girl. I hope you find the boat AND dock you want. I understand about not wanting to be around the hi-falutin type. I feel the same way. And congrats on the 170s. What are you going to treat yourself with?

Cindy - Do what you can, when you can and then work extra when you get home. The bigger challenge will probably be eating clean since you will be away from your own fridge, but I know you can do it.

Where ya at Babysteps? We are looking for you. Check in.

I got up at 6:30 and was at the gym by 7 for back, chest and then 30 min of treadmilling. I figured since I finally got used to getting up early, I had best stick to it, even while I am off work. Otherwise I wil have to RE-train myself next week and it was hard enough the first time around.

Fav meal? Egg white omelette, with green peppers, red onions, tomatoes, lean turkey breast and fat free cheese. Mmmm. I think I will make exactly that at soon as I get back from walking with Mom in the park.

Have a good day to everybody else that I didn't give a shout out to in the beginning.

Oh yeah, where is the Queen?

Peace. Tiki.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Angry another newbie here!

I’ve been reading the LWL threads for some time now and figured it was about time I said hi! So, hi everybody!

I lost 20 pounds last year (then gained back five, oops, which I’ve now lost again) and would like to lose more this year, but I’m mostly concerned (or would like to be) with feeling better, stronger, and healthier, more than what the scale says. Lifting sure helps with that! I’m only using fairly pathetic small weights still (though at least I 'graduated' from my pink ones ) but I get stronger every week, and love it so much. I don’t belong to a gym; I can’t figure out where to find the time and money for it at the moment. (I’m a working single mom and part-time student.) I have a bunch of dumbbells and hand weights though, and do what I can, when I can. I walk about 5 miles a day, and do a little yoga in addition to the weights. Sometimes do a Kathy Smith DVD. I eat a lot of oatmeal and egg whites and cottage cheese, so I must be a lifter. I have been trying to get out of the habit of eating those evil "meal replacement" bars in my lunch at work, but I'm having a hard time getting things ready ahead of time. I really need to work on that.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:39 AM   #38  

Hello ladies and welcome to all the newbies!!!
Babysteps - you are getting some great advice from all the ladies here. Just take it one day, one meal at a time and just focus on getting through it clean and healthy and then move on to the next day...You can and you will do this!
Dip - congrats on the 170's!!! Woo hoo!

Fav meal would have to be anything with spinach! Love the stuff and can't get enough of it! Spinach and grilled chicken breast with whole grain cous-cous is the kick I'm on at the moment.
As for all you cottage cheese eaters...I applaud you! I have tried many times to get myself to eat it and I just can't do it! I used to love it as a kid but at some point everything changed...kinda like bananas

Well it's Shrove Tuesday and the cravings for pancakes are strong! I might make tonight a kind of free night and whip up some whole wheat ones...never tried it before but we shall see. After work and then the gym who knows if I'll be in the mood to make pancakes...maybe I will just be craving lean meat and veggies...hehehehe I hope!

Have a great day everyone!

Melissa
Old 02-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

Holy Moly!! So many posts!! So little time!! Because I want to get to the gym before the kids get home and all the other kids get to the gym!

Jen -- Here is a site with mega info about flax....http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/flaxnutT.htm .... Hope this helps...

Newbies, Newbies Everywhere!! Welcome ONE and ALL!! We LUVS you guys!!

Gotta GO!! The has left the building...

Later!!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #40  

Default It Just Figures

Today I was supposed to be at the gym at 7am doing my weight routine. Instead, I was rolling in bed and clutching my stomach. Although I am at work now and feel a little better, my stomach has been churning all day.

So ... strategy for today is to eat those little meals every two hours and keep it bland. And rest (as much as is possible in an 11 hour day - I have school tonight) so that I can get up and go for my power walk tomorrow.

I had a different breakfast today and I feel much better than when I had the bagel yesterday. I ate four strips of turkey bacon around 9am, then a cup of nonfat yogurt with a cup of frozen raspberries at 11am. I'm very satisfied and don't see myself diving into lunch until 1 or 2pm. Of course, I'm hoping that I will keep all of this food down! But that's another thread ...

Ciao,
Sabrina
Old 02-24-2004, 03:14 PM   #41  

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon Sabrina!

Melissa
Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM   #42  
For my HEALTH...

Wink Gym HAMster

OK I'm never going to be a "gym rat" but maybe I can work my way up to being a "Gym HAMster" (heavy on the ham).

I was just following along with the Shaping Up with Weights for Dummies tape that I had to dig out and dust off. I thought the Dummies part was very appropriate for me.

As you know I am using "Girlyweights" 2 lb hand weights from Nike. On the box it say they have "Ergonomically designed cushioned grips with channels for moisture management" Wow that's a mouthful. They do feel comfortable in my hands. I was so glad you all could not see me thanking goodness that I did not go for the 3 pounders.

I learned that a FLY is not a bug but it is moving your arms away from your body.

I was working my BICEPS. It has been a lifelong quest to find either 3/4 sleeves or elbow length sleeves to hide my upper arms.

Thanks to Meg for coming over to the WLS forum and giving that wonderful explanation of CLEAN foods. That reminds me of the principal of shopping in the supermarket around the parameter of the store and not buying from the middle isles that are filled with the processed foods.

I admire you ladies. I am a loooong way away from saying my favorite meal is egg whites! The last few weeks I have been very good with cutting out the bad carbs and sticking with proteins.

But on a serious note I don't want to come here under false pretenses.
The reason I am trying to lose weight and get stronger is because I am heading towards a solution that I am sure many of you disagree with or think is way too drastic. Later this year (August?) I am having WLS. I need this extra time to lose weight first because I am also having a HUGE hernia taken care of at the same time. This operation will be VERY difficult and it will make it much better for me if I can lose a big chuck of weight before August.

So I am eating proteins and cutting out the "bad" carbs and trying OXYCISE and now doing some weight lifting. Oh I also have a GAZELLE.

Anyway I'm sure that's much more than you wanted to know, but I wanted to come clean with you all. Thanks Pookie (aka Gym Hamster)
Old 02-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #43  
Losin Susan

I'm on day 2 now and it's going great (I thought I was going to die doing my first interval cardio)! My upper body is SO sore, but it feels awesome. I didn't even feel as self-conscious as I thought I would in the free weights area with all the big guys! I picked up film to do my before pics but lo and behold the battery in my camera is dead.

Babysteps - I know how daunting all of this can be. I still have days when I feel like it's impossible too, but then I think about all of the ladies before me who have made it happen.

Sabrina - That sounds horrible. Get well soon!

Oh yeah and my note on cottage cheese...it doesnt stand a chance in our house. Between SO and I, we have to buy some every day.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #44  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Morning guys,

I am feeling better this morning but still have things going on. I think that the endophins from my run last night kicked in though. I had a major wake-up call yesterday when I got on the scale for the first time in 6 months. Nuff said about that!

Nola: did you see the fitsmart thingy on a current affair the other night with the athletes? It is a website similar to PFA but is Australian and you get access to a food diary etc but also you get training programs based athletes ones like Kieren Perkins and Layne Beachly. (sp?) I choose the Guy Leach running program and damn is it hard! If you willing to pay the $78 (US$61 for you guys) for the 12 weeks then it is so worth it because you get some great functionality that haven't seen before. They also have a database of Australian foods and you can customise and include your own foods if it isn't listed. It also applies your exercise calories burned against your dietary intake to give you a net figure - pretty cool huh?

JC
Old 02-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #45  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm here ya guys!

Still need to catch up with all the dern posts. I've been superbusy here at work - yet another meeting in three weeks, so that means editing about a hundred papers...plus getting all the logistics in place...along with all my other projects! (whew!)

(in fact it took me ten minutes just to write the above...oi...)

Pookie! Nice to see ya! I've lurked a bit at the WLS forum and I know Jiff so I know who you are. You are definitely doing the right thing IMO - getting started in weight training to help lose and (more importantly!) maintain that weight loss. Not to mention how great you'll feel - healthy and STRONG.

Jiff - PRETZEL BIN? I gotcha beat - just around the corner one of my co-workers keeps TWO baskets of Hershey's Minatures and Snickers Miniatures. Those are little to me...the first "TO DO" at the top of my list is to NOT go to her workstation...I would LOVE to tell her to get rid of the candy because who needs it anyway? But I guess there's no nice way of saying it...

As for what's been going on with me - same old same old - working out, striving to eat clean and healthy, hanging out at the stables when I can (although I must say the weather has been pretty icky around here... I cannot WAIT until summer...) working, and babysitting on the weekends. Just same old same old...but I LOVE routine...

Gotta run again...more papers to edit...
Closed Thread