Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:21 AM   #1  

Default LWL #141 --- Week of Feb. 9-15

Happy Monday!

Still not feeling good, and actually may have a fever - that's what it feels like anyway. But I am going to push myself to do cardio and pilates this morning, and lift this afternoon - chest, shoulders and back. (That's why God gave us Tylenol.)

Check back later! Have a great day!

dip
Old 02-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #2  

Angry

Gee Dip hope you're feeling better soon... Have a half hour snooze inbetween all your workouts and take some vitamin C... and drink water, but I know you're going to take good care of yourself anyways so this is just a reminder...

Klop -- good for you on the planning it's KEY to success...see my fitday journal for details of my days eats...

I wolrk out of town today... Food is prepped and planned... Now gotta go shower... workout maybe later during the day...

Later...

Last edited by 3fcuser1058250; 02-09-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #3  
Mel

Good morning- I haven't even caught up on last week's posts, so I hope I haven't missed anything earth-shattering. It was an incredibly busy week, and I just never got here Work has been wild and it's been challenging to fit in my own workouts. My right shoulder has been bothering me to the point that I couldn't do any upper body for the last 3 days (despite god-given tylenol!), but hopefully a slight rest will help. Problem is that it doesn't get any rest at work.

Eats are back on track. No results yet, but I feel more in control.

Dip-I hope you feel better.

Collen- I did see your new avatar/pic. What a long way you've come! You're gorgeous Holding my breath for the 100 party!

Hello to everyone, gotta run!

Mel
Old 02-09-2004, 09:21 AM   #4  

Good Monday morning everyone,

Well, things sure look different this morning than they did Friday night! I slept for 9 (!) hours Friday and Saturday and last night I racked up 7 hours. Put in 45 minutes on the treadmill this morning, and I'm in the pink. Of all the changes that are happening as I get older -- yep, I have that crepey skin too, not to mention lots of crow's feet, gray hair and creaky joints -- I think what I hate most is that my energy isn't what it used to be. I've always said I had more energy than any other living mortal, and that I could get more done in 24 hours than anyone I knew. Well, pride cometh before a fall, doesn't it. That's just not me anymore. Since denial isn't working, I just have to face facts: I'm changing. Just have to go with that flow. If there's one thing I'm learning here, it's that self-awareness is my key to success.

Let's see, what else .... ah, Dip, you've asked my about my new house two or three times, and I keep forgetting to answer. Yes, we are going to build a ranch, but probably not until next year. Our lot's still in escrow (if that's the right term for a lot), and it won't be ours until May. And since this all happened really really fast, we barely have a house plan we like. We have yet to find builders and contractors, and to make some of those 1 million decisions that lay ahead. As much as I hate to wait, I just can't see us breaking ground until next spring. But it's going to be absolutely wonderful.
I'm going to have an exercise room in the walkout basement, and the windows will face east, so I'll be able to watch the sun come up as I tread along. I'll put my yoga mat and tapes and a small TV down there as well. And the weight bench and dumbbells of course. Once I have the room, I may buy an elliptical trainer as well.

Well, it's off to start a new week. Hope you all have a good one!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Dip, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

My weekend was ROTTEN food and workout wise. I didn't get into the gym at all and I also fell victim to PMS cravings and since I didn't have any "wise cheat foods" in the house, i ended up eating really bad things like twinkies and swiss rolls. I went out Sunday and bought a box of saltines and some natural peanut butter to have on hand. It's really kind of dumb. Pretzels and PB is what I was craving so I made sure that I didn't buy any on Saturday so I wouldn't give into eating them. Now, looking back, I should have just gotten the $.25 bag of pretzels, ate it and got the craves out of my system instead of what I ended up eating.

Lesson learned. sigh!

Tiki.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #6  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning ladies!

Had a great chest and shoulder workout this morning, and now I can hardly type! Really trying to push myself, and excited that Colleen and others said they could start to see some UB muscle definition in my photos.

Dip - about the skin thing - I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I think my tummy may be ok, but "the girls", upper arms, and possibly inner thighs will need some work when I get to goal. I may not have crepey skin on my belly, but I do have it on the back of my arms - go figure! Hope your Tylenol has kicked in.

Klop - here's an example of what I eat daily. Meals 3 and 5 are usually some entree that I've prepped on Sunday and I eat the same two for those meals throughout the week:
8:00am Meal 1: Myoplex Lite shake
10:30am Meal 2: 1.5c cottage cheese w/1c. fruit (usually pineapple tidbits)
1:00pm Meal 3: Some mix of 6oz. protein, 1/2 c. starchy carb, 1/2 c. vegetable
3:30pm Meal 4: Myoplex Lite shake
6:30pm Meal 5: Some mix of 6oz. protein, 1/2 c. starchy carb, 1/2 c. vegetable
9:00pm Meal 6: 1/3 c. dry oatmeal, prepared, with 1 scoop chocolate protein powder

Robin - your East facing exercise room sounds divine! I love when I can look outside while working out!

Meg - I think I'm having some sympathy toe problems - my right big toe feels "sprained" ever since NordicTracking yesterday - too much bending, I think. I'll take some Advil and stay off the NT for a few days to see if it gets better.

Had a yummy dinner last night - made up my own chicken parm recipe - ground chicken patties (an Italian variation of Tidey's meatball recipe), with a bit of melted mozz. cheese on them, served over 1 c. green beans, with marinara sauce over the top. Very good and very filling. I did give myself one French roll with butter and garlic powder to go with as a little bit of "freedom" as I'm calling it. I didn't take any free meals this past week, so the only freedom I had was 2 glasses of OJ, and that roll with butter. Not bad, if I do say so myself!

Oh, and for last night's last meal, another Tidey recipe variation - her pudding, but made with 1c. cc, 1c. banana creme pie yogurt and 1/2 package banana creme pie FF/SF pudding mix - YUMMY! Next I'm going to try it with strawberry yogurt and chocolate pudding mix!

You gals have a great day - time for me to get some work done!
Cindy
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone!
Tiki - sorry to hear about your bad weekend...I was right there with you! I went out Saturday night with some friends I hadn't seen in a long time and we drank and when I drink I eat! Oh well, a new week...
Dip - I hope you get feeling better...nothing worse than being sick.
Anyways, I think I'm going to try and do some cardio today, I strained my achillies last week and wasn't able to put much weight on it so all I did was upper body. But I really want to get back out there and sweat! Hope everyone has a good day!
-Melissa
Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #8  
The Salad Guru

Colleen- love to get that oatmeal and eggwhite pancake recipe. i make a ricotta cheese and flax meal one, i posted it on the food forum.
Tiki-- Whew. i've got PMS comming up, you just reminded me to get prepared. So see, your mistake has helped me , we do not suffer in vain! you'll be okay, you must burn more calories than usual when you have your period, i'd figure, you bleed for 5 days, we've gotta lose some calories that way! maybe not

MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME TODAY! first time yesterday doing squats, today , ****! can barely get up and down my stairs. back today for upper body-- if i can resist just medicating myself and sitting on the couch the rest of the day with my tube of Tiger Balm. 90% chance i won't be doing cardio-- GOD i can barely walk!
ttfn- E
Old 02-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #9  

Hi Gals!

I swear, I am so weird. My normal temperature is 96.8, not 98.6 so when I have a fever of 99, it's a fever. DH said I felt feverish, so I took it, and it was 99. Boo-hoo, poor me, I'll have to go to the doctor, I'm thinkin'. Throat and neck glands are swollen but no pain. So I forced myself onto the treadmill, and just plodded along at 3.5 MPH and boom, the endorphins and heart rate kick in. I start to sweat, and sweat until I sweated the fever out. I was only going to do 30 minutes and ended up doing 45, and fever was gone by the time I got off. Still cool as a cucumber and not feeling too bad, so I'm going down to lift. Sure hope that's the end of it, and gargling will get rid of the gland and throat swelling.

Eats on track, but I did have 4 oz of grapefruit juice which sent the carbs over. But it was gooood.

Robin - your basement to be sounds absolutely perfection. We have a 12' walk-out that faces Northeast, but had to do it that way because the house is on a hill. We are going to start really finishing it out, and my gym will be in front of the 12' sliding doors instead of back in the corner. I'm foregoing the summer kitchen I always wanted for obvious reasons, for the gym. I can't wait.

Cindy - I must try the banana pudding! And, missey, your skin sure doesn't look crepey in the photos. I think I'm going to have to cover up for my next set, it's that bad.

Hi to all and I'll be back later.

dip
Old 02-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #10  

Dip - you get better, young missy!

Elasky: Here is the "shannycake" recipe:

4 Egg Whites
1/4C Cottage Cheese
1/2C dry measure Oatmeal
Cinnamon - 1tsp or more to taste
Splenda - 4 packets or to taste
(optional) 1 cap of Vanilla Extract

** I usually add 1/2 a banana to the batter (and leave out a bit of the oatmeal). There are plenty of other variations as well. You may also need to up the carbs/protein, depending on your needs.

Place all ingredients into a blender for 20-30 seconds. This makes a very thin watery batter. Preheat a non-stick pan on low to medium low. Spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. I make 1 large pancake but you can make several smaller ones. The pancake is ready to flip when small bubbles appear on the top of the batter. As soon as the pancake has finished cooking, flip onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the pancake like a fruit roll up or a burrito, cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. This will keep your ShannyCakes soft and moist. (I sometimes eat them right away with sugar-free syrup, or jam - when I add the banana, though, I rarely feel the need to top them with anything).

Last edited by wcolleen; 02-09-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Klop: my menu this week is;

M1: 2 slices of wholewheat toast with 2 whole eggs
M2: 1/4 cup oats, an apple & 4oz cottage cheese all stewed up
M3: Home made quiche with green salad
M4: 1/2 protein bar
M5: Steak & tomato stew (home made) with salad & a few tablespoons of pasta or potato salad
M6: (if I want something) - a protein shake or 1/2 myoplex lite pudding.

HTH

JC
Old 02-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #12  

Thanks for the menus.

I worked out this AM before my husband left for Chicago. It was a tad hard to get up but once I was there I had a great workout and felt energized. Tomorrow I plan to do upper body.

Eating has gone extremely well thanks to you all (recipes and examples) This board I know now was the missing link in helping me get through the last challenge. It is so nice to be able to bounce ideas off of your experiences.

I can't believe how much I have gone to the bathroom today. BTW in BFL Bill says to drink 10 cups of water per day. By a cup does he mean 8oz??? As for the portions I have scoured the book for a measurement besides the fist. Any suggestions?? Does that mean every portion of carbs and protein should be the size of my fist?

One more thing what time do most of you eat your last meal??
Thanks,
Klop

Thanks,
Klop
Old 02-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #13  

Talking

Klop -- Glad to see you will be joining us more often! What I usually measure for protein is 4-5 oz for meat, chicken or fish altho I did have 6 oz of salmon and it was delicious, for cottage cheese I go by the package direction and usually try to get 25g of protein/meal... Meal 6 I may or may not have but when I do it's between 8-9 o'clock...As for carbs it's usually half a cup of dry oatmeal, rice, small potato...Yes, one cup is 8oz! I love going to the washroom alot it makes me feel that I am flushing out toxins and fat!!

JC -- I will have to try your oatmeal/apple/cc combo, that sounds good...

Dip -- Exercise will go a long way in breaking that fever! Don't you just feel 100% healthier when you know exercise has done the trick...

Elasky -- Just a suggestion, if you do cardio after an awesome leg day like you had you WILL, believe it or not feel better, it will get the muscles and circulation going again...Do some good stretching too before and after the cardio...

Melissa -- Hope your achillies gets better...

Robin -- A workout room facing east... How wonderful...

Meg, Karen, Tidey where are youuuuuuuu!!

I've had a pretty good regular kind of day...

Later all...

Last edited by 3fcuser1058250; 02-09-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #14  
JEC
Aussie and proud

it's called 'apple pie' and it's awesome.

The recipe is in the recipe thread.

JC
Old 02-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #15  

well started off the week with a good workout. Cardio for 20 mins and then my lower body. Man are my hams and butt killing me tonight. Could have eaten better, I cannot seem to get into eating my 6 meals per day, but when i do eat i try to make it clean. I got to get back on track though if i want to see the results.
My aunt passed away last night and I have to go away for a funeral in a few days, it is really quite sad, she was just diagnosed with cancer threee weeks ago and now she is gone. In a way it is kind of a good thing, at least she did not suffer for a long time. But still sad for her children. Goes to show you how fast life can change.

Robin-your house sounds marvelous

Dip - hope you are feeling better soon

those pancakes sound good, i will have to try that, always looking for new things to try.

Talk to you all later...
Closed Thread