Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Default When does the water retention go?

I started lifting three weeks ago for about 30 minutes three times per week. I'm not lifting heavy yet, because I'm not strong enough. I'm currently on about 18lb maximum (for things like squats) and less for other body parts. My workout consists of squats, lunges, push-ups, bicep curls, hammer curls, tricep kickbacks, lateral raises, shoulder press, back rows, reverse crunches.

The scale has shot up by 2.5 lb and I'm wondering when it's likely to go? I know it's water retention in my muscles, but it's so disheartening to see a higher number on the scale. I am only lifting to maintain my muscle mass at the moment, not to build more. I'm still at a deficit and I'm doing cardio six days a week as well.

Does anyone know how long it will take for the water retention to go? Will I start showing weight loss again, soon?
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Autumn

Did the scale weight increase the day after your full body workout and this is the only change in your routine including the type of food you took in?

I only ask this because there are a lot of reasons why you may be retaining water. Because of this I really can't say when the retention will drop. However, if it is due to lifting you may notice a slight increase the day after a really demanding workout (one in which you feel DOMS, delayed onset of muscle soreness, or it hurts so bad I can't squat to use the bathroom) That kind of sore will often lead to some retention.

Usually, I do retain water after leg day. It's just a given especially if its a new routine. However, keep in mind there are other reasons for water retention:

High sodium content in meals
Higher carb intake the previous day or two
Maybe a higher carb intake the evening before (usually I don't eat after 7:00pm but if I do and it's a carb...I'm going to see a "gain" of about 1.5lbs
Hormonal fluctuations and menstrual cycle will also show a slight gain.
Lack of adequate intake of water the previous few days.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure others could add more reasons. Just wanted to have you consider all the possibilities of water retention and not just from strength training.

Likewise, a slight loss followed by a slight gain could also be where you were dehydrated at a previous weighing and rehydrated the next. Seriously, half pound to one and half pound fluctuations happen all the time. We must look at the overall downward trend over a period of several weeks..

It would be more harmful if you become frustrated by the slight gain you see from lifting and choose not to do strength training. It takes time but it will occur.

You've probably already know the scale doesn't show the whole picture...I think the best indicators of our progress are the clothes that hang in our closet...pull out something that is just a size to small and keep trying it on every few weeks. If you are taking in enough water, eating to fuel your workouts and doing your best inside the gym the results will appear in your clothing probably before they will on a scale.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Hi Autumn

Did the scale weight increase the day after your full body workout and this is the only change in your routine including the type of food you took in?
Yes, it did. I weighed in on Tuesday and I'd done a full body work out on Monday. The reason I assume that it's water retention is because prior to three weeks ago I hadn't done any lifting at all. My muscles did ache after the work out, but I wasn't in agony.

I drink 90 oz of water a day, so I don't think the scale increase is due to not drinking enough. I did have more salt than usual on Monday, so that is a possibility. The previous week I also STS on the scale, so that's part of the reason I felt it had something to do with the new weight training.

It's frustrating because I weigh the same as I did before Christmas and I am trying 10 x harder than I was back then.

Thanks for your response! I'll continue lifting, weigh in next Monday and hope for the best. On the positive side, I have lost an inch from my hips and 1/2 inch from each leg. So there is a little progress.
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #4  
Amazing will be me

I get water retention terrible sometimes, the only way i find to relieve it is by drinking lots of water and taking a water tablet and it usually takes about 2days to calm down. Also stay away from salt
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote