Am I The Only One????? Heeeelllllpppp!!!! - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #1  
Vanessa

Talking Am I The Only One????? Heeeelllllpppp!!!!

[COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Purple]Hi Everyone!!!
My name is Vanessa and I'm 21 years old. When I was only 15 I got pregnant with my son Eddie. He will be 6 in August and starting 1st grade.

I weighed 135 before I got pregnant. I didn't work out yet I was thin but not too thin. Kind of curvy like J-LO, Beyonce or even Serena Williams. I loved my look!! I gained 53 lbs. with my pregnancy putting me at 178. My son will be 6 next month and I have only lost 20 lbs. ------ which actually was all my water weight from being pregnant.
It's my fault though.....I have never taken any initiative to work out until this year.
I feel so fat sometimes and I feel I shouldn't look this way and have this kind of body for 21. I hate going to stores.....such as Hollister.....to buy cute trendy clothes......and no jeans fit!!!! ( Ladies if you wear a size 11 or more.....don't even go there!!!!) I hate seeing girls my age out in bikinis and cute skirts and I just feel like a hog.
So I took the initiative to work out. I got a Y membership and go there 3 times a week. I work on the eliptical machine for 28 minutes and 1/2 hour lifting weights. Also, 3 days a week , I walk 1 mile and do a 20 minute pilates video. I started drinking 8 full glasses of water a day and try to eat a little healthier. I don't want to stop eating the foods I love.....just cut down.
I'm hoping this will help. I'd like to lose 20 lbs.........and keep it off.

I guess I'm just looking for some e-buddies to share in my triumphs and defeats of losing weight.

ALSO..... DOES ANYONE KNOW SOME GOOD WORK-OUTS TO GET RID OF LOVE HANDLES?????

Hope to hear from ya,
Vanessa
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 AM   #2  
TreeHugger

No, you're not the only one. I'm 26 and have an 18 month old. I was the same way you were, thin, never really had to watch what I ate and then I got pregnant and gained 44 pounds and lost 24 pounds during my delivery. I have since gained 7 pounds. Now I'm stuck at 155 and would like to be around 110-115. I feel the same way you do when I go into stores. I usually end up going home crying because nothing fits. I used to be a size 4 and now I'm a 10-12. When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't recognize the person I see. I always think "Fat girl swallowed the thin girl." My Dr. advised me to do the Zone diet, cardio (daily) and strength training a few times a week. I'm fine with the excercise part, once I get started, but I can't get myself to "diet". I plan on starting, I just need to get motivated. I think it's a great idea to have an e-buddie that is in the same boat, or should I say sinking the same boat? Ha ha (LOL). I look forward to chatting with you and everyone else. I'll ask my dad about the love handle work out, he is a body builder so he'll know what to do. Talk to you soon!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:21 AM   #3  
Vanessa

Oh my gosh! That sounds just like me........Crying when I come home shopping!!! I usually start shopping with a great attitude and end up so upset....I don't buy anything. And if I do....when I get home....I complain it doesn't fit right.

I definately need to stay motivated. I have my workouts all planned yet if something comes up....I skip it. I need to make that my first priority. My boyfriend always says I look great and don't need to work out but you know guys............!! So because he doesn't feel I need to workout....he doesn't enforce anything. I need someone to say " Vanessa.........get off your lazy butt and go to the gym!"

I hope to have a baby after we get married and if I don't lose the 1st baby's weight....I'll be super big and probably never lose it.

It sucks for me too because I have 4 sisters and 3 of them have my body.....the one I had before my pregnancy. I hate shopping with them and sometimes feel jealous of them.......which is sad cause they are my sisters.

I think stumbling upon this website was good for me. People with the same issues and concerns. Hope to hear from ya soon!!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #4  
TreeHugger

Ya, I don't go shopping anymore because of that. I haven't started excercising yet, I don't really know what I'm waiting for. I think I'll start my Windsor Pilaties tomorrow when my daughter takes her nap. I plan on buying a traedmill soon so I can start walking. It's to hot here in Arizona now to walk outside.

My boyfriend always tells me he still thinks I'm sexy, but I have put on weight and if it bothers me to do something about it. My dad on the other hand (the body-builder) does tell me to get of my lazy A** and get healthy.

When did you start working out? Have you seen any results yet?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:57 AM   #5  
Vanessa

I started working out a few weeks ago.....yet I have lagged on some of it. There have been days things have come up so I haven't gone to the gym, etc.

I use Windsor Pilates too. I haven't seen a lot of results yet because you have to use it 3 x's a week. I always try to do it 3 x's but something comes up or I get lazy. But my son likes it so it helps because he's always like " Mom can we do pilates??" He thinks its fun. I think its ok for him to do because its not strenuous (?) He says he can feel his muscles growing after he does it. kids!!!!

The only results I have seen are in my legs and arms. Some definition and less flab! Yet these aren't my problem areas. My belly and love handles are. I think thats the hardest area to lose weight in. I don't want a 6 pack ( it'd be nice though) Just a little definition.

Yeah my boyfriend is totally the same and I think he's telling the truth. But when we go out on our boat or go swimming...I know he would like to see me in a bikini and not shorts and a tanktop!! I think I am bothered by my weight too because my son is not his and he has never dated a girl with a post-child body. Sometimes I feel.....hmmmmm not good enough. ( oh no...here come my insecurities again) He's 23, fit and skinny and loves water sports etc. and I feel so fat so I don't participate as much as I'd like too. Plus he does all these sports with his friends who are young too and never dated girls with kids so I feel like the fatty of the group.They bring all their super fit girlfriends and I'm like OHH Lord. I almost get like a social anxiety attack prior to going out. But my boyfriend is great. He buys me lingerie so I know he likes my body.....but I don't!!!!

So I think I just need to get on track and no matter what comes up just do it. Its better then what I have been doing so I should get something out of it.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:14 AM   #6  
TreeHugger

Well, all I can say is keep it up. If you are seeing results then it's working! 1 month after I had my daughter I worked out 7 days a week. My dad wrote up a work out plan for me and boy did I see results. I lost 1/2 - 1 inch a week for the first month or so, and then, I don't know what happened, I stopped and gained a couple inches back. I didn't even diet! I'd probably be almost at my goal weight if I'd have stuck with it. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda. I need to pick myself up and brush myself off and I'm going to start tomorrow. I think like you said, this was a great thing to do, joining this group. Who would have thoucht we would have found someone going through similar times?

I can imagine how you must feel aroun your boyfriends friends, being that young. I've got a few years on you, but my boyfriend's brother's girlfriend id 22 and a size zero. I feel very insecure around her. Most of the time I still feel like the thin me, but then I'll bend over, or see myself in the mirror and realize I'm not thin anymore. It's really weird.

Well it's been nice meeting you and I would like to keep in touch. Maybe set up some kind of buddy system. I think it'll be easier to stay motivated if we check in with eachother and "share triumphs and defeats". I hope to talk to you soon. Have a good night
Old 07-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #7  
Vanessa

Wow!! What was that work-out your dad gave you?? Seems like it was really good. Thats what I want........to not have to change my eating habits.

Staying motivated is so hard especially with kids. So much other stuff to do.

We'll definately have to keep in touch. Let each other know whats working and whats not.

Have a good night!!! Hope to talk to ya soon.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #8  
TreeHugger

It is so hard to stay motivated with a child. It's and advantage for you because your son is old enough to want to do it with you. That is a great start at a healthy life for him. So many children are over weight because their parents don't teach healthy eating habits or even expose them to excersize. I think it's wonderful that your son is learning to be healthy at such a young age. I have the same plans for my daughter. I want to find some physical activity that she enjoys doing like dance or martial arts, sports - anything she can find a passion for. My alterior motive is to keep her mind off boys and partying. But, that's looking a lot furthe down the road.

I have a home gym so half of it was weight lifting and the other half consisted of lunges, leg-lifts and sit-ups. The last three were to be done every day, as many as I could stand. Let me tell you, the leg-lifts and sit-ups will get rid of thoes love-handles you're talking about. If you work out at the gym let me know and I'll give you the workout. If you don't know how to do walking lunges or leg-lifts let me know and I'll explain to you or you can ask a trainer at the gym.

I started my Windsor today, I can't find my 55 min DVD so I tried the 28 min power sculpting with the big blue band. I feel like I did the 55 min workout. Tomorrow I'm going to do my weight lifting and the day after that I'll start the sit-ups, lunges and leg-lifts and make thoes a daily habit. Also my dad gave me a diet he picked up from the competeing body builder's he works out with. He said if I can stick it out for 2 weeks I should lose 7 pounds and if I can do it for three weeks I'll lose 14 pounds. I'm going to give it my best so I can get a jump star on this 47 pounds I'm trying to lose. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow evening.

I'm beat. I'm going to call it a night. I'll talk to you tomorrow
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #9  
Vanessa

Default Hey again!!

Yes, my son is very active. He always likes to walk with me and he is in soccer
( yes....I'm a soccer mom!!) He knows what excercise is and why mommy does it. ( he says " mom you're not fat.....you just need to lose a little weight!!) He's so smart!! He even knows what calories are and will remind me Mountain Dew has 170 calories and Fresca has 0......you should drink the Fresca) I think he's a little too smart!!

Well a workout would definately help me out. I go to the gym 3x's a week for 1 hour. 1 hour is not long but it's all I can devote myself to a gym. I do an eliptical machine (set on a weight loss mode) for 28 min. and usually end up doing 2 miles while I am on it. Then the rest of the time is devoted to the weight machines. I alternate days....1 day I concentrate on legs, butt, thigh machines and the next arm, shoulder, back machines. Then I come home and do an ab workout ( I got out of a fitness magazine ) for about 15 minutes.
The days I don't go to the gym....I walk 1 mile and do the pilates workout. The only day I take off is Friday. But like I said before....I don't think I have had a full week where I have done everything.
My problem will be when winter comes. Sometimes it's way too cold, snowy or slippery to walk outside. I have thought of investing in a home eliptical or treadmill.....but don't really have the room. I do have a basement though so we thought maybe we could turn that into a workout room. I'd like to get some weights at home too. But we live in a duplex and hope to buy/build a house in the next year or 2......so we don't want to create this room....only to move it.

But this week I am off of work ( Quit my job as a shipping administrator on July 1 and took the month off. Start next monday at a new job as a customer service rep) So I want to get to the gym everyday this week. I think once I start seeing more results.....I'll be more excited about working out and I will make sure I go all the time.

Do you or your dad know any good ab routines? The one I got out of the magazine I don't like. I feel these excercises more in my legs, arms etc.......then I do in my abs.

Maybe we should start daily writing to each other to let one another know what out daily workout schedule will be. That way it's kind of another remider to ourselves? Let me know!!!

Have a good day!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #10  
Vanessa

And yes....I agree.......pilates is a real butt kicker....literally!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #11  
TreeHugger

It sounds like the routien you have will do the trick. Just stay consistant. When you do your weight lifting do 3 sets of 15 repetitions and wait only 30 to 60 seconds in between each set. When it starts to get easy, increase your weight.

I think it's a great idea to check in with eachother daily. Today I lifted weights, full body. Also, I started my dads crazy gym diet. I don't know how long I'll be able to stand it.

Talk to you soon,
Autumn
Old 07-25-2005, 10:54 PM   #12  
TreeHugger

As far as running out side, It's the complete oppisit here in AZ. TOO HOT!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #13  

wow its great to hear from so many kindred spirits I am 21 just had my 2nd and last baby 7 weeks ago and I am at my highest and unhappiest weight ever at 170lbs I am back to my pre-preg weight (I was 192 at delivery) however I do not wish to be at my pre-preg weight I want to be much smaller. I totally relate to the shopping depressions I will go to a store so happy and leave in tears its very hard seeing other girls my age wearing barely there clothing and looking great in it.I have chosen to follow Atkins for the rest of my life. I am already seeing amazing results in the 6 days I have been on it. As for exercise I have to say that so far I have never found a better program for all over toning (no bulk) than "callanetics" its extremely boring but extremely effective and my saddlebags are almost completely gone after only six days, my stomach stays in naturally now and my "love handles" are almost gone! but remember that you have to get your body fat low enough to see your abs I cant see mine yet but my "baby pooch" is flattening and even the inches are falling off.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #14  
TreeHugger

Congradulations on your new baby! When I had my daughter and tried to diet my milk wouldn't come in all the time so I stopped dieting an started working out. I saw results but got lazy anyway. Also, I think nursing helped me lose quickly. Keep up the good work! Nice to meet you,
Autumn
Old 07-26-2005, 04:12 AM   #15  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

no no no you're not alone! i was heavy all through high school but boy did i ever want to go to the beach and chill in a bikini like all the thin girls. i tried "eating healthy" but i never really realized how much i was eating, even on a "healthy" diet. i never lost weight until i went on a very strict diet, and it is still a struggle.
to battle my love handles, i do those twisted crunches and side-bends. they work well for me, but there are other ways that work too i'm guessing. good luck with your weight loss.
oh yeah... hollister is ridiculous. i went there just once to browse while visting my mom in texas. those sizes run incredibly small, so really, you must be like, size 8 to fit the biggest size they have i'm guessing. they'll never make it in wichita falls, texas, that's for sure!! from what i saw, the average woman there is a size 14. no one bought anything in that store when i was there.
Closed Thread