Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:04 PM   #31  

Had a great back/calves/abs workout this morning, followed by light cardio. I usually don't do weights in the morning, but tonight is yoga night, and I won't be able to hit the gym after work tomorrow, so figured I'd go ahead and get it in. How nice it was to be the only one lifting at that hour! I think I'll have to make that a regular thing. I loved it! Speaking of calf workouts, what do you guys do? I typically only do one exercise, because the only exercises I know for calves work them in the same manner, so it seems pointless. Opinions?

Still eating on plan. Yesterday, I failed to plan, which left me sneaking out of work at 10am to pick up cottage cheese and fruit from the grocery store. In the old days, I would have succumb to the vending machine (apple danish, pop tarts, muffins, mini chocolate donuts, and the like), but my willpower is on target this challenge. Woo!

Have a fabulous day, ladies! (and gentlemen, if eric happens to be lurking ;-P)
Old 09-05-2002, 05:06 PM   #32  
mox

Talking Looking Good

Just a quick note -- looks like everyone is doing great! Congratulations -- woohoo, and all that. I'm on track today food-wise, and plan on doing my cardio tonight after yoga (hey, wcolleen, what is it about Thursday night yoga?). So, I'm a happy camper 'cause I was able to sleep in this morning. Anyway, gotta get back to work. Hang in there everyone. 'Til tomorrow. Mox
Old 09-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #33  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Riding high!

Man I feel good today! Besides the fact that it is a decent carb day I have been sleeping like a baby this week so far. I actually have been waking up refreshed which is weird for me and also sleeping the whole night through. Gotta love this life!

Day 5 for me!

When I said that I was cutting out sugar I meant refined sugar btw. I still enjoy natural sugar such as fruit and no added sugar yogurt because I have found that they don't adversely affect me.

Susan: I would interested in your ab bootcamp routine. I am so lazy with my abs because I have an hourglass figure like Karen so I tend to ignore them a far bit. But not this challenge! Hubby made me laugh last night and it hurt because my abs were still sore. Glad that they found your bag too! WELL DONE for staying on track DESPITE your challenges! We are proud of you!

MrsJim: I got to sleep in this morning as well since it is a no cardio day for me. Quads and abs are planned for this afternoon. My abs still hurt from the other day though!

Tonight's workout is;
Quads - leg extensions, leg press and barbell squats - 3 sets of 15 each
Abs - crunches, leg raises and lying leg raises - 3 sets of 15 each. Then I finish with one set of 100's which if anyone has done Pilates will know what I mean!

wcolleen: I actually don't work my calves at all. I did do them when I did BFL but I stopped about 6 months ago. I run ALOT so I find that the have a nice shape without working them. I stopped working them after I read on a bodybuilder's site (a swedish girl I think?) that she didn't work them because she runs for cardio so I thought that I would drop it and see what happened. By a lot of running I mean during the season at least 5 hours a week and during the off season about 2-3 hours a week.

Mox:

Well yesterday was a 5 star day for me! I haven't had a problem with water at all since I always seem to be thirtsy. I think that I remember being thirsty a lot from last time - MrsJim? I bought on my favourite pants this morning and they are feeling a bit loose so I jumped on the scale to see if there was anything to note (please note that I don't have emotional attachment to the scale and it doesn't bother me which way it goes up or down within a few pounds i.e. 5 - because I know its not the end of the world! ) Anyway it told me that I have lost 3 pounds. So that could either be water weight, a bit of muscle or some fat. I will get back to you next week and see how it goes once my muscle mass settles into my new routine.

Yesterday was low carb and when I did my food shopping last night I was literally 'drifting' through the aisles I was so exhausted. We got home, put the shopping away and went straight to bed - I don't even think we said goodnight! Anyway we have inspired my hubby as well so when I got home from work yesterday he very proudly showed me his new split routine which he is going to start next week sometime. He jumped on the scale last night and was shocked to see that he has lost 8.5 kgs or 19 lbs since he was last working out a few months ago. He was fairly upset so he has asked me to work out a bulking up diet for him. I love it when he comes on board with a healthy lifestyle!

Anyway I have to do some work before I go shopping for a new strapless bra for my dinner tonight! I am wearing a halter neck sparkly top to show off my shoulders and arms.

JC
Old 09-05-2002, 08:44 PM   #34  
Mel

Default Day 4 DONE

Today was easy- Just cardio and abs. I'm not sure I like this 3 day lifting, 5-6 days cardio. Feels weird not to race to the gym every day after work. I'll probably do just 1 more week of it then go back to a 4 day split. Pam thought maybe I was overtraining and burning muscle, so she toned things down a bit.

JC and MrsJim - know what you mean about the low carb days! Yesterday I wasn't ever hungry (could barely finish my food) but sooo tired. The worst was Tuesday tho when I tried to go from meal 3 at 12:30 to meal 4 a 7pm. I was literally seeing spots before my eyes. I've given up the idea of eating "dinner" with the rest of the family and eat at 5 now, then just have a glass of water when they eat.

wcolleen - I do seated calf raises and donkey calf raises, and now standing calf raises, doing a set of 20 reps with my toes pointed forward, then out, then in. I use as much weight as I can possibly move, and when I'm done a set it feels like the skin is going to explode with all the blood in there! I have genetically scrawny calves and running just makes them smaller. It's taken me 9 months to put about 1/2" on my calves. (the only place I want MORE rather than less inches.)

Susanje - Glad you got your bag back. That's a real helpless and infuriating feeling! I had mine snatched once years ago as I got off the train going to work in Phila. and had to beg $$ to get a train ticket home.

Good going all! Is anybody doing free days this challenge? I've got so many family birthdays including my own, it's gonna be tough!

mel
Old 09-05-2002, 08:56 PM   #35  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Mel: I am donig a free afternoon that will coincide with most of my social commitments. I make it an afternoon because I don't want to make it a whole day but if I make it one meal then often my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I feel too full before I get to eat what I want to. Then I feel deprived. So I make it the whole afternoon and then I can eat something free and in a few hours have anything else I was craving! It works for me!

JC
Old 09-05-2002, 09:10 PM   #36  

Mel: I'm doing a 1/2 - 3/4 free day. If I do a whole day, I find myself eating things "just because I can," rather than things I've really been craving. My boyfriend comes down from Maryland most Friday nights, so Friday afternoon/evening is typically my free food time. We'll typically go out to eat, maybe have a drink or two, and dessert later on, after the movies, etc. Friday is a day we often go out to lunch at the office, and although I *could* get an authorized meal at the restaurants we go to, it's nice to be able to let loose just a little. So will probably take a free lunch every other friday or so as well.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:51 PM   #37  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi everyone!

Free Day - I prefer doing it the way JC sez - a 'free afternoon'. And usually, what I do is have a normal first couple of meals, then we'll have an afternoon treat - often a burrito from Pancho Villa Taqueria or a salad from Draeger's (I think I've mentioned their AWESOME salad bar in the produce section!!!) with some sourdough bread, or lately sushi!

A bit later Jim and I will usually have something sweet - usually ice cream (but more often frozen yogurt) or oatmeal cookies...

This Challenge I'm sticking with frozen yogurt on Free Day as far as dessert - no Baskin-Robbins!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:22 PM   #38  

Hi everyone--
Just wanted to check in really quick before heading off to bed. Today was a moderate calorie day and I felt so much better. Just all-around more energy. Today's workout was 40 minutes of moderate cardio--I power walked and ran at the park. I love this time of year when the seasons are starting to change. One great thing about moving back home after living in California for a while. Tonight I took my free meal and dessert. My mom made homemade spaghetti sauce and I had a few cheese raviolis, some garlic bread and a little vanilla ice cream for dessert. That's my only free stuff for this week. I've never done just a free meal before so I'll have to see how it goes.

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday! I'm hitting the gym after work to do bis and tris. Food is ready to go for the morning.

Have a great night!
Maggie
Old 09-05-2002, 10:55 PM   #39  

Hi EVERYONE!!!

I love reading all these great posts!!! THANKS!

thank you to everyone for the good thoughts about my bag. It was infuriating and caused my whole day to go out of whack...but on the train ride home I spied a USA today on the seat next to me and they had the story of the people who were in the South Tower on the floor when the plane hit and I read their stories and suddenly my day did not seem so awful. So I managed to keep things in perspective. I ALSO think that is easier when my food is clean. Sugar and fat make my emotions go crazy.

JEC: Have you looked at the ab bootcamp on L&S? (I think the link is still there.) I did that in my first challenge but now am looking to change it up. I have a nice swiss ball so I love the swiss ball workouts for abs. I'm trying to put a "routine" together and will post it when I do.

MrsJim: THANKS for the ab info in the 411 section!!!

Thanks everyone for the YOGA posts!!! I was doing yoga on Sunday mornings during one of my stints and I LOVED it!!! I want to do it again. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Re: Free Day. I am doing the free afternoon type thing or a modified free day (meaning watch what I eat but maybe have cereal in the morning, a "anything goes" dinner and dessert). The trouble with eating cereal for me is that I don't eat it by the bowl, I eat it by the box. And I never feel bad about it. If I ate 2 bowls of ice cream I would hate myself, but I can eat a whole box of cereal and think "too bad it's all gone". Cereal is definitely one of my favorite foods. So starting a "free day" with it can be dangerous. But I might try because I miss it or maybe do it every few weeks and not every one. Free day every week is not good for me but a free meal (plus dessert) is good.

Sorry for the rambling post. we have to have our resumes together for tomorrow for fall interviewing and I'm a bit scattered.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:12 PM   #40  
mox

Unhappy Do not try this at home . . .

Well, gals, I remembered too late this morning why I shouldn't try on a new dress when I'm feeling bloated and achy -- 'cause I never think anything looks good when I'm feeling this way!!! Anyway, that's how my morning has gone so far . . . but food-wise, everything is okay. I missed my morning w.o. 'cause I was too busy lying in bed with a heating pad. (Can you tell I'm looking for sympathy?!?) I can go right after work tonight, so I'm not too stressed about it.

Regarding free day -- I'm still in my first BFL challenge, so I plan on following the book and having a whole day. So far, though, I haven't really pigged out. I tend to eat well for most of the day, and then eat whatever I want when I go out to dinner (which I do most Saturdays). I also allow myself a glass or 2 of wine.

Keep up the good work everyone. And have a great weekend (I can't always check in over the weekends.)
Mox
Old 09-06-2002, 02:08 PM   #41  

Default Myoplex

Ok, who is it that can stand these shakes? I've only tried the chocolate cream, which at first tasted really good, but the aftertaste was just gross! Is there a better flavor, or brand out there that anybody likes?

Also, I want to thank you all. I don't have time to post too often, but reading this board every once in a while has helped to keep me motivated. I have been doing body for life for three weeks now, and I've lost 9 pounds! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #42  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Friday, wonderful Friday!

Goody - that means I can go horseback riding tomorrow!

Liz - are you referring to the regular Myoplex or Myoplex Lite shakes? The Ready-to-Drinks (gag) or the powder? I've never had the regular Myoplex but I really love the Myo Lite Cappuchino Ice, Chocolate, Vanilla. Strawberry is okay. I got the Chocolate Lovers once and there were some flavors (the chocolate mint in particular) that I didn't care for especially. You might want to try adding flavor extracts or a little vanilla SF/FF instant pudding mix (about 2-3 tablespoons) to the blender.

Of course you don't HAVE to use Myoplex at all. There are a lot of MRPs out there - Labrada's Lean Body for Her is good (unfortunately I think it only comes in three flavors). There was actually a good article at Nutros.com about MRPs recently - check here http://www.nutros.com/Nutros/home/ne...ypeid=4&nid=81 (Although I wouldn't buy from them - very pricey - stick to the L&S netrition link or vitaglo).

I'm having another GREAT day. Bi's and Tri's, 20 minutes HIIT cardio this morning...I've already had 3 liters of water and it's not even noon yet. What I do is when I wake up, I have two big glasses of water before I go to the gym, another big glass after I get home, another glass with my first meal. When I get to work, I have four water bottles that are 1/2 a liter each. I fill them up and my goal is to empty and fill them up twice (8 bottles' worth total during the workday) by 5 pm. Three liters make around a gallon, right? The Metric system is not my forte! I usually have one Diet Coke or Mug Diet Root Beer after work and maybe another glass of water (I like to SLEEP at night ).

Mox - since this is your first Challenge, you SHOULD have a full free day (try not to make it a 12-hour binge though). Believe me, if you're eating clean the rest of the week, eventually you'll find that the stuff you used to crave isn't calling as strongly to you, or you can't eat nearly as much of it without getting ill!

I found the following on another board - thought it was worth posting here (I only post here and at L&S):
Quote:
Why I want to stay the same..

* Because I really feel wonderful after I stuff my face with too much food and drink too much. Isn’t that bloated, stuffed whale/combined with huge amounts of guilt feeling WONDERFUL? Better than sex or drugs!

* I love agonizing over clothes shopping. Spending huge amounts of time and money trying to find something that hides my ikky parts, all the while trying to avoid the mirror. It’s great though. I feel so crappy that I head off for a comfort feed afterwards to drown my sorrows where I can wistfully discuss how I used to fit into X size, and how I’m trying so hard BUT NOTHING WORKS.

* When co-workers come to work with those chocolate nummies I can eat them freely. Afterall, I’d hate for them to think that I didn’t like them as a person or anything. They could never understand that I might be trying to better myself and I’d hurt their feelings if I turned down their baked goods. My head would fall off I know it. And I would be socially ostracized forever. I wouldn’t be invited to the candle parties anymore.

* I love the feeling of dread that hits my tummy when we have a social occasion that involves either formal wear or a swimsuit! But I’ve found there are wonderful ways to wear beach towels and if you take charge of the cooler, they don’t expect you to get wet. At formal occasions, it’s best to pretend you have a sore ankle so you don’t have to get up from behind the table. Being ikky, makes me so much more creative!

* Wouldn’t it be AWFUL to discover that if you could actually MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN? Yikes. That could mean well….all sorts of things that I’d rather not think about. It’s much easier to just say I’ve tried everything and IT’S NOT MY FAULT.

Why I want to change…

* I’ll have loads of technical exercise info that I can wow people with at parties. I can get self righteous like a reformed smoker and lecture to people while they stuff their faces while I flex my biceps. Parties may actually become entertaining!

* I can’t wait to go shopping with my girlfriends who aren’t doing anything to help themselves. They’ll be handy at running back and forth to get me smaller sizes because I don’t know what size I wear anymore! I’ll be sure to still complain about how far I have to go though as I try them on!

* If I can’t eat the chocolate nummies, I’ll make sure my colleagues don’t want to either! I can look up the nutrient ratios of the chocolate and post it with a sign as to how long it would take to burn that off. My knowledge will stun them and it wastes time while I look the info up on the internet. Cool. I might not be invited to candleparties, but I’ll probably get a promotion.

* I can’t wait to be the one everyone talks about at parties. About how I’m taking some weird drug, or that it’s just “good genes”. When people ask me what I’m doing, I’ll just smile mysteriously and make mention of a “support group”. They’ll think I’ve joined some weird cult or something. What fun.

* I look forward to challenging people to see how many push ups they can do and watch their eyes fill with fear.

* I’ll finally realize that it is indeed a science and I’ll know how to eat right and exercise. I may not continue, but just think of all the money I’ll save on buying useless diet books and magic pills.

* I’ll realize that I can take action and have an impact. A warning to the next person who cuts me off in the parking lot!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:14 PM   #43  
Mel

Default Hi everybody

Just got back from the gym, and am sluggin water and glutamine. I haven't done shoulder AND arms all together on the same day in about 6 months. OMG! I could barely get out of my sports bra! What a workout! I did all my dumbell presses on a swiss ball which was probably too big for stubbo legs here, and it sure was harder than sitting on an upright bench. Had to drop down 5 pounds on my max set, and even at that, dropped the weights and nearly fell off the ball on the last rep. Add that maneuver to the fact that my glasses broke on the way to the gym (usually put in contacts but was in a hurry), so I had to wear my presciption sunglasses the whole time and looked like a real goof!

Food's been great, water's good- if I don't break this plateau in this challenge it will be some kind of record.

I think I will do I free meal if I want it. So far, Pam's food is so good, I can't think of anything I'm craving. That may all change in a few days tho. I never had problems staying in control in C1 and C2, but for the last 6 weeks in C3, freeday was getting to be a big problem even tho I compacted it into just an afternoon. I could do a lot of damage in 1 afternoon. So I'm going to try to get rid of it again.

Liz- I find the shakes disgusting- every brand I've tried. I just buy protein powder and make my own with frozen fruit. Just make sure you get the ratios right.

OK- cardio tomorrow, then it's rest time! and my birthday (NO CAKE!).

mel

Last edited by meliris; 09-06-2002 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:46 PM   #44  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Thumbs down FREE DAY

Hey guys!

Well it is Saturday and Free day/afternoon for me! I had my soccer presentation dinner last night and got my trophy and I was very well behaved. I only drank water and diet coke and then we had a buffet for dinner. I had a bit of roast beef, some roast lamb with a little mustard and a salad without dressing. I skipped the 7 cakes and gateaus. and the massive fruit platters they had layed out. I used the MrsJim logic of if I really want it I can always buy some tomorrow on free day! It was interesting to watch my 'diet concious friends' hog into roast potatoes and fruit all night and skip the meat because it is fattening! I had a wonderful time and was told that my top was 'very sexy'. We went out dancing afterwards so I probably burnt off the dinner anyway with 3 extra hours of cardio!!

I am not sure what I am having today for free meal because I don't particularly feel like anything. I may decide later. I had oatmeal and PP for breakfast because I plan on keeping the mornign clean. I jumped on the scale and in total this week I have lost 3.5 lbs. My favourite pants are loose in the waist and my bras fit better so I am happy so far!

Lizz: I DETEST Myoplex. I remember I swallowed it for my first challenge because I was afraid to experiment with other powders. When I did CPB the first time I looked around at other powders and I found an excellant Australian one called Musashi. No good recommending it to you though because I don't think you can buy it in the states. Anyway look around there are loads of options. I have heard many people recommend Labrada lean for women.

MrsJim: For future reference 3.8 litres = a gallon. Since the metric system is my first language! I like to sleep at night as well so I tend to stop drinking water around 7pm, unless I am in class when I need the water to stay awake. But even then I just sip it. I usually HAVE to go as soon as I get up though!

Mel: You are a cack girl!! (that's Aussie for funny) I don't think that I will be able to look at a Swiss ball without laughing again. Happy Birthday btw!! (no cake!)

Well I have a ton of washing and cleaning to do since it's Saturday and hubby is on a firefighter course this weekend. So I am making the most of the peace and quiet. Have a great weekend ladies and see ya on Monday!

Well done to everyone Week one is soon to be OVER!

JC
Old 09-06-2002, 11:58 PM   #45  

Mox: If you are in your first challenge DEFINITELY take the whole free day...that will help you later on. It's very psychological in nature but once you KNOW you can go all out if you want, you somehow don't need to. But I needed every free day of my first challenge to stay on track. I started to modify it mid second challenge.

Lizz: I'm not a big Myoplex fan but I was the MRP queen in my first challenge. Right now I am on almost all real food but I have Met Rx Berry Blast with frozen strawberries (and Udos) and also do the already suggested protein powder and frozen fruit. I also like Designer Protein Abs Berry Blast. It's just heavier on sugar than most of them so I only have one of those about once a week (but really enjoy it). If you add some fruit to it and really blend it it gets very frothy...very light and tasty.

For my first challenge I did Met Rx Classic Vanilla with half a cup of coffee, a smidgen of sugar free vanilla jello, some cinnamon and it was like a cappucino. I never did like the chocolate though I made pudding with it once or twice. I think that when the colder weather comes, I'll have an MRP cappuccino now and again.

I also like the Myoplex Orange Jubilee. It's a lot of protein so I had to cut it in half and add some fruit. That also gets very frothy. For a treat, add some vanilla pudding mix and it's like a cremesicle.

If I think of more MRP recipes, I'll post them. I had to try different flavors before settling on those I liked.

I had a good day today. Eating clean and working out is filling me with a lot of energy during the day but I am WIPED out by 9:00 (just about now).

Susan
Closed Thread