Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 07:36 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #69 - C3FC Week 4!

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK everyone!!!

Next time I want to FLY down to San Diego. 8 hour drive...try more like 10 hours! Whew! Traffic has really gotten MUCH WORSE since the last time we were in SoCal. We left at 9 am on Friday...got to Cardiff oh around 8 pm or so. Of course we DID have to make a few 'pit stops' because temps en route were between 93-101 degrees. UGH. I HATE traveling on interstate 5! It goes right thru the hottest, yukkiest parts of the California valleys. So... on the way back - we took the 5 to LA, then went to Hwy 101 and stayed on that through San Jose. JC or anyone who has not been to California before - if you're going to drive it's length - take 101 or (if you're REALLY not in a hurry) the Coast Highway 1 - a MUCH more scenic drive. Urm, though, not for us on the way back because Jim decided at 11:30 pm last night - after we got back from visiting his family - that we had done everything and wanted to beat the traffic by driving at NIGHT. We got home this morning around 9:30 am - just stopped at a couple of rest stops and took catnaps. So of course after we got home and played with Sparky a bit (of course he's SO HAPPY we're home!!!) we went right to sleep with Kitty snuggled happily next to Jim.

Even with traffic nightmares San Diego was GORGEOUS. We took our bikes and went cycling down around Mission Bay and the Boardwalk for a few hours, just enjoying the sun. The funny thing is...I forgot to eat! That cooler filled with cooked chicken breasts was a lifesaver. It was so easy to just grab a napkin and a piece of chicken and munch it down. We had dinner with Jim's family at a restaurant called The Beach House in Cardiff. Since it was mostly fish - no problem ordering 'clean'. Steamed veggies, salmon, and a plain baked tater. Jim's mom had the hot sourdough bread which was placed on the tables moved AWAY from me so the aroma wouldn't tempt me!

It turns out that Jim's youngest brother (who is 16 years younger than he) enjoys lifting weights. I wish we'd had some time to go to his gym - he belongs to a Powerhouse gym and goes just about every day! Driving through LA and San Diego Counties, I noticed a lot of big beautiful clubs called "LA Sports Clubs". I was tempted to stop Jim so I could just check out one of those places (naturally none around Cardiff where we were staying). Todd (Jim's bro) told me that they are REALLY SET UP with tons of free weights and all the latest and greatest machines!

Well I was going to hit the gym this afternoon, but I've still got quite a bit of sleep to catch up on (I couldn't sleep on the drive back) so I'm going to hit the hay early this evening and get 8 solid hours of snoozetime before lifting the weights!

Okay, sounds like we're all trying hard here...I HAVE been feeling things loosen up a bit. Unfortunately, Ms. Busy (ME!) didn't take the time to measure herself or take photos, so I'm going strictly by clothes size, look and feel. Unless some financial crisis pops up, I'm signing up at the end of this week (after payday!) for an all new session of CPB -just like JC. I have London coming up in November as well as my 40th birthday the weekend I return from the UK and I wanna LOOK and FEEL great! BTW JC, I thought your pix were AWESOME. What a difference!

Susan - I'm like you - it takes awhile for me to see any real changes - at least in my THIGHS and hips. My upper body develops fairly quickly - my shoulders really pop out I think!

Anyway I still have TONS more reading to do...and it's Free Day as well - I've got a salad from Draeger's salad bar with TONS of veggies and some sourdough bread and we're going to Yumi Yogurt later on this evening! YUMMY! I highly recommend Carbolite frozen yogurt if you have a frozen yogurt shop around...
Old 09-22-2002, 08:56 PM   #2  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Smile Yeah Yeah!

Yay!! Hello everyone!

It’s Monday here and I so didn’t want to get out of bed this morning, but I did nevertheless. When I got to the gym the attendant said to me – Weren’t you here just last night? I was like ‘Yeah’ and she just said ‘oh’. What like people don’t go to the gym regularly??? Um hello???? I had a nice clean day yesterday and even my friend Jayne who posts under Jaylizbet at L&S came over to talk about CPB. She has ordered 4 weeks as well and we are getting our new plans at the same time and she is so excited! It will be interesting to see how she goes because she hasn’t been very successful on BFL so far so I am not sure how she will handle CPB. I am going to help her as much as I can though and we have made a date to go bikini shopping in December which is an additional motivator for me! Also I am seeing my entire family at Christmas and besides my Mum I haven’t seen any of them in about 18 months so they haven’t seen my weight loss yet. Thus of course I want to look my best when I go to visit them! So much is happening right now…….

From the other thread:
Susan – I know what you mean by having an area which is your nemesis – mine is soooooo my hips and thighs. I know that I am going to have to hit low BF’s to get those babies to slim down! Thanks for the encouragement as well. With the aloe vera it’s even better if it’s fresh from the plant. Let me know how it works. I posted the recipe on the recipe thread. I use gloves as well because I hate the calluses. I once nearly ripped my hand open when I forgot my gloves one day.

Wcolleen: Way to go on the great numbers! Congrats and keep up the good effort.

MrsJim: So glad you are back! Thank you for you lovely comments - I sure am trying hard enough I think! It's nice to get results even if they take a while. I hope that at least one person sticks to the program because of my pictures. I would love to inspire people the way you do!

Well I can’t believe that it is week 4 already! Last night I was lying in bed with hubby just reading a book and I was a bit hungry so I grabbed one of the CC/jello mixes to snack on and a cup of tea. Anyway, I was sitting there and hubby grabbed the spoon and took a mouthful of it. The next thing I know he is downstairs and a minute later he jumps back into bed with one of my other CC/jello containers and a bunch of biscuits. He ate them all and just said to me – Honey you are out of lemon CC – can you pick some up tomorrow and make more of this stuff for me?! I just laughed at him and said no problem honey – if you want to eat stuff and it’s healthy then I don’t care! I am just GLAD that even tried it! What a laugh though…..

The other cool thing on the weekend was we had a free dinner on Saturday so I bought some pasta and garlic bread. Hubby wanted fish and chips (a very Australian take-away food) so he went out and bought it. He hadn’t eaten fried food in quite a while so I knew what was going to happen. Well wouldn’t you know it he got through ¾ of the fish and ate maybe 5 chips and then threw the rest out claiming he felt ill. I said to him – sweety your body is telling you not to eat that crap so don’t! He said that he would stick to pizza from now on…… Ah the joys….. I am creating a monster. When he got up to go to work today he took 4 meals with him (he is trying to gain weight) – I never thought my husband would be so dedicated. It’s awesome!

Have a great week ladies!

JC
Old 09-22-2002, 09:44 PM   #3  

WEEK FOUR!!!

MrsJim: I was thinking of you on your trip. I drove from SF to LA (took the 5) last Christmas and it was over 8 hours.........how fast does Jim drive???????? I thought it was a long and boring trip. San Diego is beautiful though. I really love it there!

I checked out some gyms in LA last Christmas and they had everything! 24 hour fitness is good but in LA they have the latest and greatest.

I love carbolite everything!!!!

I wish I could order CPB now before the price hike but I am still waiting on a university check I will definitely get 8 weeks when I order later on!!!! Hopefully I'll have it by the time we do camp 2.

JEC: low BF's? I know I will figure this out as soon as I log off, but what is it anyway? My current nemesis is my lower gut and I read the thickening in perimenopausal threads on a menopause site and I just want to punch the floor and go no no no. I used to be a hip/thigh person but I can live with bigger hips and thighs if my waist is small. When I started camp3fc my pooch was bigger than my chest (and my chest is huge). I think that has changed (hopefully!) but progress is still to be had. I'm going to start doing abs everyday. I did that before and it had a nice impact.

I cannot wait to make that cc/jello thing. I'm not a big cc fan but that sounds GREAT.

I am going to Dallas next weekend for an interview. I will be free daying it on Saturday. (I've turned free day into a verb

I'm traveling on Friday so what happens there remains to be seen. The airlines don't seem to serve meals any more...not that I care much for them but I don't eat a lot of carry on foods. Any ideas for plane food???

The hotel is very classy and has a first class resort there so I will be able to swim and exercise on Sunday morning before I leave. yeah.

Got to get to homework and laundry before the Sopranos.

Susan
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 PM   #4  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking

Sorry Susan BF is bodyfat. Good luck at the interview!
Spare a thought for us Australians! 24 hour gym - never heard of - I am lucky that my gym opens at 5:30am - most don't open until 6am! I would LOVE to have a 24 hour gym!!
You have to try the CC/jello - it's incredible!!!!

MrsJim: BY THE WAY I have been to SoCal before. I went there last year (May) before I got to know everyone!! I plan on heading back to the US probably next year so I will have to DROP by and say hello!!

JC
Old 09-23-2002, 01:11 AM   #5  

I love the allnight gym. When I was in NYC this summer, I had a big problem because most things in NY are open all night EXCEPT gyms!!! Mine opened at 5:30 and it was an EARLY gym. Here, I get to go to the gym at 3:00 am. That is a BLAST!!! I was there at 5:00 am this morning and I felt like I was LATE! 24 hour fitness definitely has its problems but when you go on off off hours, it's a dream.

Old 09-23-2002, 01:02 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Hello girls,

Welcome home Mrs.J.... Sounds beautiful in SoCal.... Hope you had air conditioning in your car driving in that hot weather, I know I can't live without my air on long car trips.......I was in Hollywood CA in my 20's, we were 5 girls, we had a blast.....

My weekend was pretty good....

Friday was my free day and free day it was ..... I ate everything....muffins, cake, pizza, popcorn.... not a good thing... But I had no problems getting back to eating clean on Saturday.... and I drank plenty of water....

Sunday I had a prep day of food for the week, I made the chicken recipie, it is delicious. I made 13 4 oz packages for the week and froze them.... I also made a delish soup with carrots, turnip, cabage, green beans, 10 fresh tomatoes from the garden, l/f chicken broth, garlic and spices...then when all the vegetables were cooked I used my hand mixer and made it into a creamy sort of soup.... It's really good.... I also froze than... I love soup in the fall and winter....

24 hr gyms in Cornwall is not available at all... the population here is only 40,000 and there are only 2 gyms... mine opens at 5:30 but I get there at 5 sometimes and there's always someone there with the doors open to let us in... the other gym, I hear opens at 4AM.... I heard....

Well girls have a great week.... and week 4!! OMG how time flies..l.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Lana - we HAVE air conditioning in the truck, but Jim doesn't like to use it often - he usually just turns on the fan unless it gets REALLY BAD. I was wearing shorts on the way down and my thighs were sticking to the seat!

You GUYS...no 24 hour gyms?!? I would have a VERY hard time doing this if I wasn't able to get to the gym at 4:30 or 5 am. After work, it's impossible since that's when EVERYONE wants to go. Ick. And the early morning folk seem to be a lot more focused. The earliest I've hit the gym is around 3 am if memory serves...

Jim just called to remind me that our WEDDING ANNIVERSARY is this Friday - it totally slipped my mind I mean how many wives forget the wedding date? In my mind, our anny is on 1 January - that's the day we became an 'item' in 1995. Of course we're planning on celebrating on Sunday (freeday!).

JC - if you're ever in the Bay Area let me know...I don't know when we'll be going back to SoCal again. Hopefully we'll be flying down rather than driving...
Old 09-23-2002, 09:09 PM   #8  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Another clean day!

Well it's Tuesday here in very sunny Sydney and what a lovely day it is! I just finished up a bowl of apple and CC with cinnamon and Splenda and am feeling very satisfyed with myself since it is a high carb day. I went for a nice run last night before Grad School and then a gentle short walk with the dogs after Grad School with hubby who was grouchy because he isn't getting enough sleep lately.

I got an email from Pam yesterday to say that my new plan will be ready soon! What a doll she is! I tell you I can't wait to get it I am so stuck for ideas with food lately.

MrsJim: Yeah our gym not opening until 5:30am (on the dot) was one of the factors as to why I can't go in the early morning. I can do it some days but others I just don't have enough time. Then on weekends it is only open 9am to 7pm so Saturday is cool because it's free day but Sunday I have to go by 4pm otherwise I run out of time! Also unfortunately 5:30am is one of the busiest times as well so it makes no difference because I always get a crowd

My wedding anniversary is next month but I normally forget it because it's my birthday the week before. I am having a birthday party (joint with hubby) on Saturday so that will be nice. CONGRATS to you Karen! That's kinda freaky though because Ray and I got together in Jan 1996?

Where exactly IS the bay area?

Lana: I love soups but haven't thought about trying to make any on this diet. When I think about it it's a good way to get some veggies into me though isn't it? Can you post the recipe for me? Thanks

Well duty calls!

JC
Old 09-23-2002, 09:20 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey I need your help!

I am about to get another package sent to me from the US and I was wondering what kind of FF and SF stuff you have over there? I already get the SF maple syrup and FF/SF pudding mix. What else is good to work with?

Note we don't have much of anything in Australia!

JC
Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Hello again girls,

Mrs.J ~ hubby's BD is on Friday.... he'll be 45 finally... I WAS 45 in January...

JC ~ The "recipie" doesn't really have any specific ingredients, I got the idea when I was on WW years ago, they had this veggie recipie that had "0" points so this is where I got it from....

Here it is and I will also post it in the recipie thread:

In a large pot with FF and low sodium chicken broth: 2 lbs of carrots, a small cabage, a small turnip, a bunch of green beans, onions, 10 peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes, add any veggie you like more or less to your liking...covered it all with water, brought it all to a boil and let it simmer for a while till veggies were soft....oh and a bay leaf too... let it all simmer till done. .... I cut all the veggies in cubes...

I then added fresh garlic, basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes... I also added some chicken flavouring but not too much of that because its high in sodium.... simmer a bit more...then if you want a creamy kind of soup take a hand mixer and make it to your favorite consistency...

It IS a great way to add veggies to your meal... When I reheat it I will sometimes add brown rice to it or chicken or beans.... Whatever you like really.... At lunch I had ground turkey leftover and kidney beans and added it to the soup it was a great meal in a bowl.....

Well I have to go to bed it's 10PM....

later all...........
Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Well I am jealous JC!!

Yes, JEALOUS because it's already Tuesday there in Oz and we're still on Monday here in the US. You're that much closer to the weekend

Oops...I thought EVERYONE knew where the Bay Area was! By that I mean the San Francisco Bay Area - Susanje lives here as well - though pretty far from where I am on the Peninsula. Basically the Bay Area is all the counties that circle the beautiful San Francisco Bay - San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin and Solano Counties (hopefully I got that right). Except for the cost of housing, I really love it here!

Hmmm.....fatfree sugarfree stuff...other than the syrups, pudding mix and Jello I don't use a lot of it. I find it incredible that you can get sugarfree Jello mix but not FF/SF pudding mix since they are both made by Jello! Weird stuff! And I beg to differ about Oz. I've never been fortunate enough to go (YET) but quite a few folks I work with went to Sydney for the Olympics as my company is one of the major partners and they LOVED IT. Lovely weather, nice friendly folk and (this I get from my Arabian horse connections) GORGEOUS horses and lots of riding room!

Lana - I'm with JC - I haven't been 'doing' soup that much since starting this. HOWEVER!!! There are some REALLY GREAT soup recipes at the Lean & Strong Cooking Library. I've tried one - the Hot & Sour Soup and it was pretty tasty!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:17 PM   #12  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Lana: thanks for the recipe!

MrsJim: Well it's not Jello brand it is Cottee's which is Australian (the jello I mean - which is jelly over here and your jelly is our jam) Are you confused yet? Also pudding is not really a common food over here - so there isn't much variety. I can't even get Low-fat let alone FF.

Oh and I really LOVE Sydney actually - it is beautiful and very bushy. We have hundreds of trees and bushes around - we are a very green city indeed! The Harbour is INCREDIBLE also! AND Yes there is plenty of room for horse riding - I often see people riding around the University Area near home.

JC

Hey I had an idea after reading some other threads?! We should grab some photos of pets, ourselves and hubbies etc to post so we can put faces to names! What do you think? Except sparky of course I have seen THOUSANDS of pictures of him!
Old 09-24-2002, 07:55 AM   #13  

My wedding anniversary is the same week as my birthday also! For me it goes my oldest son's birthday, halloween, my birthday, my anniversary, thankgiving, my youngest son's birthday, christmas. What was I thinking??????? We have months and months where there is no "occasion" and then it's like bam!

AND my husband tends to remember it more often than I do, though when we got married, we had it engraved on everything.

JC: I have always wanted to go to Australia. I just find the trip to be so long!!!!!!! Now that I'm living in CA, I have friends from the east coast who stop over here for a few days on their way back from Australia. I have to stop being a stopover and go myself. After I take the bar exam in July I plan to go to Europe for about a month!

Well ladies yesterday I was in a "bulky" state. Feeling very bloated and yet sore from all of the weekend's exercise. This is the "thing" I battle on each and every challenge. To work this hard and wake up one day just feeling 20 lbs heavier than the day before (everything was tight).

This is when I get psychologically challenged. Like, this just isn't ever going to happen for me. I'm hanging tight but it's very hard when I walked 5 miles in the blistering heat yesterday WITH a backpack and my quads were SINGING from the leg presses over the weekend and then looked at myself in the mirror and I looked FAT FAT FAT. I don't know what it is. I'm sure it's hormonal but it's emotionally debilitating. I'm hanging in there. Usually I just shut down and talk about it afterwards, after it has caused me to throw clean eating and exercise to the wind. Now I'm talking about it NOW, so that I don't throw it to the wind.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:18 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Don't stress Susan!!!

I go thru the same stuff myself - getting bloated and feeling icky. Don't give up!!! Drink some fresh clean water and eat clean and you'll feel better soon...also you said you were going to start CPB? I'm feeling that will be a good shake up for you - and a lot more structured as well. Couldn't hurt!

As for me I will most likely be signing up for a new 4 weeks of CPB this Friday or Monday...I'd love some new menus to work with!

I've been reading Dave Draper's two books "Your Body Revival" and "Brother Iron, Sister Steel". Both really great. I'll probably quote from them in the next day or so. Actually Dave lives not far from me, in Santa Cruz, where he runs a gym - I believe it's a World Gym. It would be so cool to go there and meet him! Santa Cruz is a fun place anyway, what with the beach and Boardwalk, the Surf Museum and some really great bicycling (both road and offroad).

JC!!! I haven't taken 1000's of Sparky photos yet - only about 200 or so but I think posting pix is a great idea - only not here at 3FC as they are not really set up for it, and you have to make the photo so small you can hardly see it. What say we post at the L&S Playspace as most of us hang out there anyway? Actually I have a really cool photo of Jim and his brothers that I took this past weekend so you can all see what a bunch of hotties they are (of course I think I got the best one!).

Had a great workout this morning - back and hams - and followed up with a quick 20 minute MAS on the elliptical. Let the day begin!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:48 AM   #15  
mox

Angry 3 more days 'til the weekend.

Howdy everybody!

Hope everyone had a great weekend – mine wasn't too bad, although I chickened out on doing any squat lifts. I just became too intimidated!!! But, there's always next weekend.

The weather in Chicago has changed, literally overnight. On Saturday, it was sunny, humid and in the mid-80s (I'm not sure what that translate to in celsius . . .) On Sunday, it was in the mid-60s with that very cool, fall-ish air. When I went to the gym this morning at 6:30, I could see my breath! I'm not ready for the cold yet. Brrrr.

Anyway, things have been progressing here. I convinced a friend to join me at the gym in the a.m.'s. Since she lives along the way, I pick her up/drop her off. It's a great motivator -- I now know that I have to get my behind out of bed at 6:15 or she'll be standing on the corner, in the cold. Although she's not doing BFL, it's been fun to have a gym companion.

from the previous thread:

JEC: I'm not sure where exactly I'll be going in SE Asia – we're working on the itinerary now. If the political situation remains relatively stable, we'll probably head to Indonesia and do some kayaking. If not, I'm thinking of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. (I was in Thailand – Bangkok and Chaing Mai) about 2 years ago.) Any suggestions? I've also always wanted to visit Australia. Perhaps that'll be my trip in 2004?

Finally, what's MAS?

Hope everyone is hanging in there okay.

TH: Where are you???

Mox
Closed Thread