Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #31  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Hi Ilene,
No, none whatsoever.

Alena
Thanks...

My run is done also, it was cold but it's done, the girl I run with didn't feel like running either...My legs felt really heavy must be because of the leg workout last night...

This morning the scale did not budge ... but I lost inches all around from .25 to 1 inch... so I'm happy with that... I lost the inch on my chest woohoo, now I'll go from a small B to an A cup with a big butt , nice.........NOT!! I feel good though, my fingers feel bony, I can always tell that I've lost weight by my hands, my rings get really loose...

I went online for some BF calculators, damn, I have a high BF% on average in the high 20s to low 30s, I know these are not accurate, but chit, in the 30s
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #32  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Maybe amazon has changed the way they ship or has restriction only about certain types of items. As soon as I go to Amazon.com, it tries to redirect me to amazon.ca. When I selected the BF analyzer and tried to purchase it, just to see if it would let me, I got this message:

"*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below."

So who knows really but I couldn't purchase this specific item anyway!

Since I was just in LA, I should have just had my friend order it and then I could have brought it home with me. Otherwise I can either suck it up and spend the overpriced cost here or (and here's probably the smartest choice), I could just go to my gym and get them to do it anytime...for free!

I'm too embarassed to do it as often as I would like but that might still be the best way. It's just that when I go, they try to sell me personal training sessions!!

And, Ilene, the only reason I'm obsessing to begin with is because they showed me as having 31% BF, which I was very upset about, given my height, weight and the shape that I thought I was in. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work!!

I missed my yoga today due to a meeing at work...stupid work!

Last edited by elisa822; 02-03-2009 at 06:47 PM.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

Elisa, I was online this afternoon at some sites and testing my BF and mine was that high too, very discouraging indeed... I'm surprised that yours is like mine because you weigh wayyyy less than I do and you're a WHOLE inch taller... My gym does nothing/nada for free so you have to have a trainer to even get close to one of those things...

It's been a good day all around...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #34  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ilene and Elisa: I feel so bad that the only option to purchase one of these is to pay way more than it is sold through Amazon. I found another site that offers these. It appears to ship to Canada but they contact you about the shipping costs a couple of days later. You may want to check it out if you are still interested.

http://www.comforthouse.com/ombodfatan.html
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #35  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Thanks Lydia! Don't feel bad for us poor Canadians! It is funny how close we are and yet how far in some ways. The problems that I've had in the past, ordering from US sites is that, forgetting the shipping costs, once the package reaches Customs, the costs can skyrocket. Unless it is something that I absolutely cannot find here, I generally only shop from Canadian locations. No big deal really, I have to just move on or buy one here.

My gym did say come anytime for the BF test but, like I said, I want to just check the number and move on...and not get the hard sell! I was hoping that maybe if I could see the BF% go down, while the scale doesn't move too much, it might be great insentive.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #36  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Hello BFLL
I am a BFLLurker at this point.

But you all are inspiring me in my quest for muscles. Last night feeling pissy and bloaty I did a very fast sweaty mile on the tread and then lifted my heaviest and squatted with my heaviest and lunged with my heaviest....

THX! I am a BFLL but maybe only for this challenge

Keep on truckin' gals/ You be doin reel gooood

Last edited by kittycat40; 02-04-2009 at 10:41 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #37  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Kitty, WTG with the workout! I see you are rackin' up the running miles!

Ladies, I did the BFL rep/set scheme for my upper body workout last night, to honor the challenge. I got a new PR on my flat DB bench press, using 40 pounders for my six rep set! Miraculously, I didn't break anything, and all the parts still work today. I then dropped it to 2x30 and cranked out the 12, then 12 flat bench flyes, which nearly kill't me! Anyway, great workout!

I do have a question, though. Does anybody else have trouble with their supporting arm on one-arm DB rowing? I mean, the arm that's supporting my weight on the bench...that just kills my wrists, and while I feel like I could lift more with the working arm, my supporting arm just won't take it. I usually have to stop and rest because of that arm hurting so bad. I've tried shifting more weight to my legs there, but can't maintain that when I start getting fatigued. Is there a secret to doing those that I am missing?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #38  

S/C/G: Starting over

Wow Cheryl you are strong. The other day I tried to bench press two 25 lb dumbells and my husband tried to talk to me which caused me to drop them (well I put them down but pretty quickly) and broke the coffee cup that I accidently had under me. (Lesson: be more mindful during home workouts).

I have decided to take a mini rest period since I think my body is in a state of shock. I am going to take off until Sunday and then proceed with the fat loss workouts in NROL. I think I was overambitious to jump into Hypertrophy first (after a year off eek). I really did want to gain some strength and I think I did but at this point I want to get into fat loss mode so I am going to do the full body workouts coupled with sprints and or plyometric circuits.

Congrats to everyone who is working so hard! Great job.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #39  
No description available.

jam, first congrats on the flyes! Impressive! Second, do you put your hand flat on the bench with the rows so that your wrist is bent? Could you make a fist and put your weight on your knuckles? When I do planks with my hands flat it kills my wrists but when I go on fists it is better. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will be along soon.
Kitty when you say heaviest are you referring to a weight or a child?

Last edited by midwife; 02-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #40  
Kallos Sthenos

Cheryl,

When you are doing your rows, do you press your hand open flat against the bench, or are you making a fist with your hand and pressing your fist flat on the bench?

Also make certain that you do not have any slack from the shoulder down to your wrist. Nice straight line so the weight is evenly distributed.

Also, think about shifting the weight onto the heel of your hand and not rock forward toward your fingertips. Go ahead, practice this on the kitchen chair as you read this. There is a difference. I just tested it myself.

I also noticed that I am most comfortable when my elbow is face outward and not toward me. It's a slight shift of movement in the wrist and makes a little difference. ~sigh~ I hope this makes sense.

So, elbow faces outward but still in a straight line from the shoulder to the wrist and the weight that does travel down to the wrist is focused more upon the palm of your hand.

Keeping the weight more in the leg is a good idea. I really don't have trouble with the wrist but the elbow...Sometimes I have to stop shake it out, reposition and then go again.

If you are at the Y you may want to do the low cable row or use and iso lat row machine if they have one. It may give your wrist a little rest if it is truly troublesome that day.

Hiker: Dumb bells are very dangerous around coffee cups.
Enjoy the minirest. After a year off it does take a little time to readjust but it's all part of the experience.

Okay. The scale is finally moving back down again after last weekends intimate affair with carb overload. I remember playing this game before. Please do not allow me to overdue it this weekend again. I pledge to be on my guard for deviant carb behavior.

Last edited by Lydia227; 02-04-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Default Seven Pounds In Nine Days!!!!!!

No freakin' way!!!!!

I had a monthly meeting today that I will have on the first Wednesday of every month. Even tho it's not a weighing day (weekly only) I jumped on the scale bc I thought, wow, wouldn't it be neat to have a benchmark for every month that I go to this meeting? So I did, not expecting great things after the freeday slide over the Sat/Sun and then the mistake I made of buying free treats ahead of time (took care of that problem Mon nite ). I had lost 6.8 lbs since my first weigh in! Like 3.6 since Saturday's weigh in.

THIS PROGRAM REALLY WORKS!!!!!! Gosh, why didn't I do this sooner?!

I know I can't guarantee that it will even continue at this pace, but even if it doesn't it's still an awesome start. And if it DOES......... Sweet dreams for me tonite thinking about that!!

So at my b'fast meeting today I had scrambled eggs and w/w toast and I was like dividing up the eggs with my eyes imagining a fist full. I had about 2 servings there, but I did consume them because I knew I wouldn't be eating for like 4 hours more. It was the first time I"ve felt "full" (but not over and far from stuffed) in a long time, Lydia!!

Short & Sweet LBWO tonite!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #42  
Ilene the Bean

Way to go Lydia

Today I learned my lesson in not letting myself go over the 3 hour mark, I got home at 4pm and was ravenous and scarfed down some oatmeal, not a bad choice, but I was preparing supper at the time, then I wolfed down a WW bun with butter, I know, I know not the worse choice but it was mindless eating to get full... then I had supper... Oh, well, lesson learned not to let myself go without food for too long.

I was thinking today that I eat every 2.5 hours or less... 8am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 5pm, 9pm... but it's working for me so I guess it's ok...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Ilene, by my count, that's 6 meals, which Bill would give the big giant THUMBS-UP to! I've heard him say eat every 2-3 hours depending on hunger.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #44  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Ilene, by my count, that's 6 meals, which Bill would give the big giant THUMBS-UP to! I've heard him say eat every 2-3 hours depending on hunger.
For me lately it's definitely 2-2.5 hours... Thanks for the encouragement...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-04-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #45  
Kallos Sthenos

Fran: Congratulations on your loss! The monthly meetings seem like a great benchmark even if you choose to use it as your "informal weigh in"

Ilene: 2.5 to 3 hours is the norm here too. Honestly, I could eat the next meal within ten minutes of finishing the previous one. But it seems to be getting better this week.