Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #61  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

You GO tiki gal! Point her in the direction of 3FC's chicks who and stumptuous!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Tiki ... S W Ontario is pretty much snowed in today. It's been terribly windy all weekend with road closures. Today, it's actually snowing some more.

I went for a quick walk but the wind chill is hazardous!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

SuB are you CRAZY?!?!?!? It was minus 4 in Detroit this AM so I KNOW it's colder than that where you are. If I could have driven my car to the elevator in my building today, I would have instead of having to walk up from the 2nd level of the garage to the entrance. The Detroit River is ICED OVER from the US side to the Canadian side. I've never seen that before until today.

Tiki
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #64  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tiki - Good for you! What a lame trainer. Maybe she was trying to get your business. I swear when I used to go to Ballys on emptish days, trainers would drool over me. I would get approached multiple times by multiple trainers.

Frus - Good that you had fun despite your trip being cancelled.

I started doing taxes last night. I usually love taxes because I usually get money back. This year is a different story with DH and my income combined. Oh well

DH and I did do our Karate last night. I do notice my flexibility getting better which is good. My legs are also sore today. DH will be having dinner out tonight so I expect I'll get on the elliptical and do 3 miles or so. Maybe some weights as well.

PS It is super duper chilly. 8 degrees this morning.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #65  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

This is so fun! Everyone is so chatty, I love it! I ususally just lurk here and have learned so much from all of you, thanks!

I *tried* the Tabata jump squats yesterday after reading about them here the other day. LOL, I'm so very greatful no one was around to witness that horror show. Wow, was I bad. But they really got my heart rate up and my legs screaming. I'll definitely try to work my way up to something approaching decent there. I did do my full lifting routine after the Tabata attempt so I felt great and exhausted in the end. I was watching a FitTV show called The Gym while I was lifting and learned that I have not been doing my push ups correctly. I was no where near a 90 degree angle on my arms. Dang so I thought I could do 15 push ups in a row and have discovered that I can only do 7. I'll have to work my way up to 15 again. I also watched a 6 year old girl do 23 one armed push ups. Wow, it's amazing how strong and wirey they are at that age - doesn't hurt to have such a tiny body too. It was fun to watch her kick the butt of a HUGE weight lifter guy that could *only* crank out 20!

Just cardio for me today. It's really cold here so the most I'll do outside is take the garbage out.

Have a great day everyone, Beth
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #66  

Hi LWL,

I guess it's cold across the ocean ??? Crocusses still out overhere, it was a bit misty but otherwuse OK!

Tiki - good work on the trainer. I hate it when people barge in like that. Now the next question of course is why it isn't possible to add weight in less huge chunks. If they had provided for that, you might have even less chance of injury. maybe she was just shy & did not want to talk to the guys ?? Do you look like you're easily intimidated maybe ?? (joking)

Fru - take care not to fall of that bike while riding! Pity about cancelling the caen trip, maybe the ferry scedule is better in summer ? Also more comfortable if you are on motorbike IMO.

NOthing more from here, I'm home from work, had dinner, and will go to power class in about half an hour. Scales were up this morning. Sigh. I'm back to losing in the 2nd half of the week, and gaining it all back over the weekend I'm afraind.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #67  
Working My Way Back Down

Gosh, for a change y'all are colder than here! Not by a lot, however, as it was in the single digits this morning. We however, don't cancel school for cold weather; in fact, kids go outdoors for recess until it gets to -10! No kid walks to school here in the winter (unless, I guess they literally live next door or across the street) because of the dark and the cold.

I'm off at noon to go the Anchorage til Thursday. I have a dentist appt at 2, then will be at a workshop from this evening through Wed afternoon. It's funded with a grant that's paying for hotel rooms - yippee - so I don't have to do the 100 mile round trip for 3 days straight.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #68  
Mel

Good afternoon Welcome CinnamonGirl, glad you came out of lurkdom. Good job trying the Tabata squats!

Here's a great 3 minute 45 second workout for everyone: (this is the kind of crazy stuff I'm working on when I'm not killing myself under too much iron.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUNZ5nr0EI

Legs today for me and I tweaked my back Guess a trainer should have told me I'd get hurt with that amount of weight, but I had a spotter for a change (head trainer) so I just kept piling on the plates. Finally, my back started talking to me from where I'd hurt it a few weeks ago attempting an idiotic bodyweight squat and roll exercise. My legs were still fine, but I had to bail after 7 reps Continued on with not so heavy stuff, but it's still bothering me.

Tiki- invest in some plate mates and keep them with you. Then you can go up in smaller increments. Just don't let them out of your sight! Unfortunately, that trainer probably has to fill in a report stating how many prospective clients she approaches and she has a daily/weekly quota to fullfil. She certainly didn't approach you very well, but in my experience, saying anything to guys lifting too much weight is a waste of time at best and outright dangerous at worst for a female trainer. BTW, it's great to have you back!

Nelie- Yes, that's the life of a trainer in a big box gym. And that's why I don't work in one Colder here, but not much.

Rabbit- The crocusses (crocci?) are out???? Ooooh, take some pictures for us!

Fru-Sorry about Caen but your alternate weekend plan sounded loverly! Get out there and RUN girl! after you stop coughing.... had to laugh at the bits and bobs flying. I was going to direct you to the sportsbra thread

Gotta go,
Eat clean, keep moving and KEEP WARM!

Mel
Old 02-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #69  

I did go out again ... and no I'm not crazy. DH is wiring and plumbing my main floor laundry so I'd do almost anything to help. Including running to the hardware store.
Lots of layers is the key ... and walking fast. The snow is like sand today. Good for the legs.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #70  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Just to echo others' sentiments - yes, it's freezing here today!!

I still made it to the gym and ran 4.6 km and did some weights too. I'm hoping to run a 5k one day (who knows when!) so, like I've said before, not enough hours in the day and not enough days in the week to get in all my strength training and running. Oh well, trying is half the fun. I think when it's warmer out it will help a lot so I can move my running outside and keep the weights for the gym time.

Tiki - good for you for holding your own with the trainer. I'm still ultra shy in the gym and all those "real lifters" and trainers intimidate me. I know my form is good but I'm still not comfortable hanging with the heavy lifters. I know it will come in time.

Mel - thanks for the great video! That was quite a workout and that other squats video was unbelievable (I think Meg posted that one)!! And I had no idea that trainers maybe had quotas of people to approach. Yeesh. I'm not sure if that's true in my gym. They seem to pretty much leave you alone but who knows whether it's just a matter of time.

Stay warm everyone!

Last edited by elisa822; 02-05-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Mel, where can you get plate mates? I need some for my home machine. Have asked about them at dick's and googled them, but no luck.

Never mind, my weights are plastic coated. I'm looking for these little things that sit between the stackers, but not magnets, they would fall off. I used to use tiny dumbbells, but even that can upset the balance and then they don't stack right on the release and get hung up.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #72  
Mel

Fran- Would THESE work?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

YES!!! That's them! Thank you so much!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #74  

Where's Lydia? I tried my legs lifts again yesterday and no dice ... no ache-y abs today.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #75  

Mel? that could be a triple dog dare but I'm not tryin' that! .... well ... maybe not all of that ... there's that one thing .....
Closed Thread