Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 260/170/155

Height: 5"4

Hi,
I think you tell people who you feel comfortable with. It is totally your decision.
I think it is great your husband and kids are supportive.
Mom and sister don't need to know. It is really none of their business.
Congratulations! I hope all goes well with your surgery!
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 275/226/160

Height: 5'1

Drama with my Mom and sister again..Ughh. I stop talking to my sister months ago..been doing fine..Life has been good. yesterday My mom came to visit me and and she kept bringing up the point that my sister "Loves" me. Then later that day, my sister text me with all the details of my mom's visit..I did not respond. Im done. This is a big step for me (Im keeping the story short because it would take a small book to explaine) 20+ years of this crap, I so over it! Anyways, Less the 48 hours till surgery and Im down to 257.0!
Tiffrutherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #33  
Old Cackler

WOW that went fast! you've done a GREAT job here. don't swallow your anger [you know what i mean]. that's a really hard lesson to learn, and it doesn't happen overnight.

MWA MWA MWA!!! is your hospital bag packed? are you ready??? honest?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #34  

Jiffy, Im kinda ready but not all the way packed.

I called yesterday and they moved my surgery up to 7:30am which means they want me there at 5am!!! ( 2 hours from now). Im so scared, I pray everything goes well. I am sad that I have to leave my kids (9,4 and 18 months) for a couple of days BUT because I was going down such an unhealthy road with (I am a type 2 diabetic, high blood pres. and high colst.) I would much rather spend 2-3 days away to add years to my life.

I ended the pre liquid diet at 257, so I did good..The first couple of days were ok, those last few were HARD!

No one knows Im going in except DH, my brother and my Father in law (all men, all supportive). Well thats it, the next time you hear from me I will have surgery Love to you all!

Last edited by Tiffrutherf; 03-29-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #35  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Good Luck!!!!!! Let us know asap!!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #36  

I'm back home! I must admit it was hard. I remember reading a post about a person who got depressed after the surgery and wondering WTH? I would kill to be in their shoes, I would be so happy. But I DID get depressed for 2 to 3 days after the surgery. Not because the surgery itself, but because of the healing process. I felt like I was "out of it" for 2 days and that made me very sad. I remember praying to God in my hospital bed "please let me feel better". Then I said enough, So I got my *** up and started to work, I started walking in the hospital, when I got home, I took my meds, and asked for replacements for those meds that made me drowsy. I did not use the pain meds, my incisions never hurt (thank God) I was never in pain. I just felt "sick" for lack of a better word. You know when you feel like you could vomit at any point? When you dont feel much like interacting or talking? Kinda like that plus I was always cold. Also (when I got home) i had the erage to walk, I could not sit still for more the 5 mins. I would time myself and try to force myself to stay seated but I would have to get up and do something every time.
Today is the second day that I have felt like "me" 5 days post opt. so what ever the depression issue was it passed quickly for me. If I had to do it all over again I would (so far) and I am so happy I kept a journal to follow my progress and remember on my darkest days what bought me here. (this is quick post so sorry about the errors)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 212/216/160

Height: 5

so glad everything went well for you. keep up the posts, and just know you're still in my thoughts. Hugss!
lisarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #38  

((hugs)) back!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #39  
Sandybar1 aka Sandybar

S/C/G: 352/333/150

Height: 5'1"

Tiffrutherf I too am keeping my decision a secret. I am telling only my husband. I have a thirteen year old daughter at home and plan to send her to Kansas to visit her sister when my surgery is scheduled. My adult children are all over, thus one in Kansas, one about 90 miles from me and one in town. But, we are all so busy, we don’t get together regularly. I go to school and will not tell any of my class mates as I don’t want to deal with their judgmental attitudes. This is mine to tell and that’s it. Yours is yours to tell and that’s it. You can always say you’re a new and healthier eating plan. That will be the absolute truth and it’s what I plan to tell others IF AND ONLY IF they ask. You can always try to schedule your surgery s around the slow time of your employer or shut down if that’s an option. Bottom line is, this is for you. You answer to yourself and any religious deity you may believe in. Good luck to you…….
I just finished your last post. I’m so happy for you and that things are going well. Please keep us posted. And thanks for sharing about the depression. I was wondering about that. Sometimes I wonder if it just has to do with all the meds you get when you have surgery?? Who knows, not me, that’s for sure.
All~ I go for my very first appointment next week, Thursday, April 28 at 6pm. I’ve read a lot about the procedures and I’m really interested in the sleeve. I like that it’s permanent, and you don’t lose quite as much of the nutritional factors. Sadly, that means you don’t lose all the calories with a bypass too. But, I’ll have to decide for sure after the seminar. I’m a bit scared, ok, really scared, but it’s time. I’ve battled with this for decades now. I’m in my 50’s and it’s starting to affect my health. I have pseudotumor cerebri …..stated plainly, high cerebral spinal fluid pressure in my brain. One dr says it’s cuz of my weight. Others do not agree. I also have fibromyalgia. We all know losing weight will help that too. So, I’ll be checking on all of you from time to time and let you know how my appointment goes next week. Thanks for making this available. I used to post of 300+ Club a very long time ago. But I am back here now. Thanks again.
sandybar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #40  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Sandy-good luck! Ask questions and maybe start a pro/con list with the different procedures including side effects of each one to help you decide. Also-find out the total # of each type of surgery the surgeon has done-don't rely on percentages. You want a surgeon who has done A LOT (as in hundreds, hopefully) of the particular procedure.

May I ask why you don't want to tell your daughter? She seems at an old enough age to be told and understand what's going on. Are you worried about her worrying about you?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #41  

Sandy- This was the best choice I have ever made for myself so far. I am a little over 3 weeks PO and I feel so good. I can see my body changing and food does not control me anymore. I can't believe I waited this long. Now the day after surgery I was singing a different tune but now..Im so happy! Everyday I feel better and everyday I could care less and less about what people thing. My weight has kept me prisoner for so long and slowly Im braking free of my cell..
Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #42  

Height: 5'2"

I'm coming late to this thread, but I didn't tell anybody but close friends and family at first, but now (a year later and at goal weight), if anybody asks me how I lost all that weight, I tell them the truth. I do not care one single bit about the judgmental attitude of ignorant people who might think it's "cheating" or whatever. If you haven't walked in my shoes, your judgement about my choices is utterly irrelevant to me. (And oh by the way, I'm having a facelift in July, too! LOL)

Welcome to the losers' bench! My sleeve has been a miracle for me, and I hope yours is a miracle for you, too!
mlk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

Sandy, pseudotumor cerebri is most definitely linked to obesity.

The way I figure it re telling people - if it's someone who is close enough that they were prepared to say "gee you are getting fat, you need to do something", then I will tell them. My family and 3 close girlfriends know. If it's some random person at work, it's none of their business. I find it so rude that people even comment on the weight of colleagues that they don't even know well, it's certainly not their business what I eat or what I weigh.

Of course I appreciate nice feedback that I am looking well etc, but beyond that I just say "Oh goodness, that's a personal question!" when someone asks how much weight I have lost or how I have done it.

Last edited by pacman12; 05-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #44  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

I had a sit down with my dad and his girlfriend. I come from a 1/2 Italian family, and since he's retired, his main hobby is cooking. So I had to explain I may not be able to enjoy some foods (triggers for overeating/heavy carbs) and showed him print-outs of medical diagrams. He was worried, but is very happy for me. His GF is very worried about the pain of recovery, but is just as understanding.

My aunt and uncle were at a dinner, and know about it too...my uncle's like 'meh' lol which = good with it. My aunt was very fascinated.
My hubbie's side does not know, and won't. They are not as open-minded.
2 Co-workers know, a close friend and her bf too.

I know these people won't blab or judge me. They would be the kind who saw me loosing that much weight and get worried. So to keep them worry-free I told.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #45  

I have my initial appointment with a bariatric nurse in a couple weeks. I'm terrified of telling my husband and parents. But I know I'll have to, I mean someone's going to have to help me the first few days after surgery, right? I'm hoping to build up my own cash reserve and time off from work in the 6 months of doctor assisted weight loss I need to do before surgery. That way I can at least justify it as that I'm doing this on my own. My money, my time, my body, my health, my decision. Right? Oy.... too many secrets.
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote