Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #46  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskitty
I'm with Misti - it's my fat and I want it OFF! lol (Misti, I am one of just many of your secret admirers! - you GO GIRL!)
Hey thanks... I need all the admirers I can get!! Back atcha!!!! LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #47  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
You didn't! I know I do come across often as far more serious than I am... happens in 3D too. Sorry.

LOL and I started all this and I really wasn't even ON a plateau... just a week with only one pound lost LOL, and I have lost two more this week!!
Now, you said you were on a plateau! I saw it!!!!!

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Now, you said you were on a plateau! I saw it!!!!!
Yes but there is a difference between saying I was on a plateau... and REALLY on a plateau! Besides, I was just trying to see if I could start trouble LOLOL.

Fat, fat... go away!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #49  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHavey
I stopped eating icecream every single day of my life, it was, believe it or not simple--much more simple than following somone else's prescribed menu plan
ever was.
I wish I could agree with you there. I suppose I never ate it quite every day, and I probably never will, but I probably have ice cream 1-3 times a week. If I get "busy" enough and emotionally satisfied enough, I can forget about it and not think I need it. But sweets are still one of the points where I struggle...it doesn't ruin my weight loss but I know it's not healthy and my emotional attachment is something I'm still working on. I don't think anything in healthy eating is simple, or we'd all be thin Maybe to "naturally thin" people it is simple, and comes naturally, but to me it's like living in a bilingual nation and only speaking one language while trying to understand the other...

Quote:

I promise you this Jill, someday, you are going to have a lightbulb, A-HA moment and see my point on this whole "diet" thing and actually agree with me on points that today you don't!
I sometimes think 'getting' it is kind of like...having faith. I consider myself a person of faith but I was not always and empathize with those who live mostly secular lives. Spirituality is something you have to find within. Sure, once you find a path you like you can find guides who will help you along and give you information but unsolicited advice or encouragement isn't going to help. I don't think you can truly convert people to a religion, I think they either find it within themselves or they don't, and I think becoming healthy is the same way. You can force it on people but it won't be real for them until they discover it for themselves. At 3FC we are all walking our own healthy paths and trying to discover what will work for us. Many of us may end up at the same place, or different places, and some of us will never get there. Some of us will walk quickly, others very slowly and walk the same paths over and over again. Advice and suggestions can help, but I think people come here for support rather than specific "do this" or "don't do this" lectures. We're all walking our own paths, and no one's is right or wrong. We can learn from each other but none of us wants to hear anyone telling us our path is wrong, or telling us how someone else's path is better. Okay, I kind of got off on a rant here, but I'll post anyways. Sorry for the long-ish post.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #50  
LLV

Quote:
Yes but there is a difference between saying I was on a plateau... and REALLY on a plateau! Besides, I was just trying to see if I could start trouble LOLOL.
Awww girl, you're funny, I like you. We'd have a great time together going out for drinks
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Awww girl, you're funny, I like you. We'd have a great time together going out for drinks
LOL believe it or not, I don't drink... hate the taste of alcohol! But I am silly enough while sober to make up for it!! And actually I am glad... I don't need the calories LOL
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #52  
LLV

Quote:
LOL believe it or not, I don't drink... hate the taste of alcohol! But I am silly enough while sober to make up for it!! And actually I am glad... I don't need the calories LOL
I count alcohol calories too, lol!

And if you're silly enough as is, that's just fine
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #53  

Oh no problem! Silly I can do!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #54  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

LLV, I can see how restricting carbs can help you lose weight and personally don't feel it's all water weight. I don't live by the calories in vs. calories out theory . I have lost 76lbs. by restricting carbs and getting off my butt to exercise. I don't think I was carrying 76 lbs. of water weight. Each person is different and have to choose which plan will be easiest for them for a lifetime. For me, this is it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 AM   #55  

I also don't agree with the calories in, calories out theory... but LOL I also don't agree with the low carb thing, as least as far as its being healthy for you. But the point is well made that it could be different things for different ones of us.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:20 AM   #56  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues4miles
I sometimes think 'getting' it is kind of like...having faith. I consider myself a person of faith but I was not always and empathize with those who live mostly secular lives. Spirituality is something you have to find within. Sure, once you find a path you like you can find guides who will help you along and give you information but unsolicited advice or encouragement isn't going to help. I don't think you can truly convert people to a religion, I think they either find it within themselves or they don't, and I think becoming healthy is the same way. You can force it on people but it won't be real for them until they discover it for themselves. At 3FC we are all walking our own healthy paths and trying to discover what will work for us. Many of us may end up at the same place, or different places, and some of us will never get there. Some of us will walk quickly, others very slowly and walk the same paths over and over again. Advice and suggestions can help, but I think people come here for support rather than specific "do this" or "don't do this" lectures. We're all walking our own paths, and no one's is right or wrong. We can learn from each other but none of us wants to hear anyone telling us our path is wrong, or telling us how someone else's path is better. Okay, I kind of got off on a rant here, but I'll post anyways. Sorry for the long-ish post.
Miles, I think that's a lovely way to sum up what we're all about here at 3FC. One of the things I love about this place is that we support any healthy diet plan. Most of us who have been around for awhile know that there isn't any 'one size fits' all plan that works for everyone. I'm constantly amazed by and constantly learning from the experiences of our members!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #57  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
I have lost 76lbs. by restricting carbs and getting off my butt to exercise. I don't think I was carrying 76 lbs. of water weight.
But when you restrict carbs just to get through a plateau, then it's just like the very beginning of a low-carb diet, which IS when you lose the water weight. I think that was the point. And then when you go back to eating the carbs, it tends to come back because it was primarily water weight in that situation. I don't think she was knocking low-carb diets all together, just as a way of breaking a plateau if you haven't been doing low-carb all along

Also, by restricting your carbs, I bet you ARE taking in fewer calories than before, plus exercising to burn more of them off Calories in v. calories out isn't really a "theory," it's a scientifically proven fact. It may be harder to figure out for some people exactly how many calories is right for them, but once you do figure it out, it works (although not always as quickly as a low-carb diet, but to each his own).

Any plan that requires you to cut out a certain food group or type of food ("white" or processed or refined or prepared or what have you) typically helps you to lose weight by reducing calories from your diet--they just don't tell you that part because then it wouldn't be the "magic" for marketing that they need

I'm certainly not saying that everyone should scrap their diet and just start counting calories--different means of reaching the right calorie amounts work for different people, whether they are actually counting them or not. I had a bit of success on South Beach a few years ago, and I wasn't counting my calories at the time, but in cutting out all sweets and white breads and such, I KNOW I had to have been consuming fewer calories overall (plus, I was exercising 6 days a week, so I increased my "calories out" significantly).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #58  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
LLV, I can see how restricting carbs can help you lose weight and personally don't feel it's all water weight. I don't live by the calories in vs. calories out theory . I have lost 76lbs. by restricting carbs and getting off my butt to exercise. I don't think I was carrying 76 lbs. of water weight. Each person is different and have to choose which plan will be easiest for them for a lifetime. For me, this is it.
Well, I'm no expert with the situation or anything, but they say that normally when you restrict carbs, basically you're simply restricting calories.

And no, I'm sure it wasn't 76 pounds of water, lol. However when you cut carbs, you probably drastically reduced your calorie amount. But I agree, whatever works is what you should use
Old 04-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #59  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
But when you restrict carbs just to get through a plateau, then it's just like the very beginning of a low-carb diet, which IS when you lose the water weight. I think that was the point. And then when you go back to eating the carbs, it tends to come back because it was primarily water weight in that situation. I don't think she was knocking low-carb diets all together, just as a way of breaking a plateau if you haven't been doing low-carb all along
Exactly

The initial weight lost when you start any diet, really, is water.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #60  
Julia Havey

Default to each her own

Quote:
I didn't set out to be a giver of advice and know that not everything I say will work for every person--but I try!
I think we agree on this point, as I clearly said not everything will work for everyperson!

My comment was pointed to Jill--regarding cheesecake.....she and I have had a few posts about moderation of a particular "vice" food on another thread.

If one person takes my advice and loses weight, then I am glad that I spent the time trying to give that advice to whomever wanted to take it. I am trying to end Obesity in our nation by empowering people to improve their health, make better decisions and get fit, that is my personal mission statement and I am going to do it one person at a time!
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote