Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 09:27 PM   #16  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Mel - you snuck in on me! I am glad you posted! We miss you. But take your time, Myra comes first!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good evening all!
I am sooooo tired so I am going to keep this short. I just have to say I over did it tonight at dinner. My MIL and SIL came by today to see how I was doing since DH left and invited me over for dinner. They know I am dieting and sid they would make something I could eat and dinner would be at 5 pm, well I ate a piece of fruit before I left so that I wouldn't be too hungry and eat too much at dinner but when I got there they hadn't even taken anything out to thaw for dinner and we didn't eat until almost 8 pm!! By that time I was starving, and healthy food??? I don't think they know what that is... they made pork chops smothered in cream of mushroom soup, mac and cheese, two different kinds of rice and green beans. I ate a little of everything because I was so hungry but felt so awful afterward. I know I probably didn't over do it enough to gain anything but I still felt bad because the food was so unhealthy. When I make pork chops I cook it in seasoned water or broil or bake them... and mac n cheese I make with low fat butter and fat free milk, and I don't put butter in my green beans etc. Ugh. But I did come home and after putting the kids to bed I attacked my bike and got in 4 miles. So that should have burned some of that junk off. I hope so anyway. I think from now on I will only go over there if it's just for a visit and not a meal... or take a meal bar or something so I don't have to worry about the cals or fat. But anyway... I feel really bad. But now after my bike ride I am just so exhausted, so I'm calling it a night. I promise to get personal with everyone tomorrow. G'nite!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #18  
hangin' in there...

Hey Mel! Thanks for stopping by! I remember those newborn "busies"...... take care of that babe, and pop in whenever you can.

Karen, Hooray for you!!!! It must have been those will-power vibes I sent ya! Seriously, I knew you could do it! And thanks for the encouragement about the scale. I was feeling really down about it last night.

Spryng, I have an idea for you. What if, the next time you are invited to dinner at MIL's, you bring a healthy dish to share, like a big salad, or something? That way, you could contribute to the meal, and if they aren't cooking anything you want to eat, you'll have brought something. Just a thought. But don't beat yourself up too badly over last night. I think you probably did a lot to counteract what you ate on your bike, anyway. Hope you are feeling rested and well today.

Well, I am feeling better today. I got on the scale first thing this morn, and it read 177. Thank God!!!! I had had a feeling that I had hit 180, but seeing the numbers just really hit me hard last night. But I know it was not accurate because it was the end of the day, and I had just eaten, and I had clothes on. So, I am using 177 as my starting point, and am shooting for a 15lb loss over the next 6 weeks, before dh go away for our romantic weekend. I just don't want to look like a beached whale getting into the hot tub! I got a good workout in on my bike this morn, too. And, last night, I ordered some walk fit exercise tapes for when the weather turns cold, so I can vary my routine and I won't get sick of the bike. All in all, I feel ok because I have a plan of action and a definite goal in sight. Now all I gotta do is stay the course.

Well, got a busy day today.......gotta take ds to the Y to sign up for swim classes, plus run some other errands, and I promised ds a trip to the playground, too. Better hit the shower. Have a good day, everyone!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:12 PM   #19  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!

Jen- I know, when I went to WW last winter and got on the scale there and it read 181.6, I darn near died. But look foward- this is the last time that your scale will read 177, right??? Good for you ordering those tapes!! Thanks for your sensitivity about my incident with Dh too.

Spryng- sounds like you did just fine getting thru that meal last nite. What else were you supposed to do, starve??? Hang in there, you are doing great!

Karen- congrats on making it thru those cookies!!! That is awesome- and I am so proud of you. Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you are doing great.

Melissa- give that sweet little Myra a kiss for me, ok? I am sure that you are loving the dickens out of her. How are you feeling?

I am doing better today than yesterday. Maybe because Dh is at work!
Naw, he called- he did not apologize but sort of indirectly did and mentioned what a crummy mood he was in. That is the best I am going to get out of him, so I'll just keep on ticking'. Got my walk in this am and so far my eating is fine.
Gotta go, before I know it it will be time to pick up the monsters!!
Have a great day.
Ginny
Old 09-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #20  
Domestic Engineer

Question Do you have room for 1 more?

Hi everyone,
I am Emily, 34, SAHM of 3 little boys. 5, 3 next month and 4 months. I have posted on this board in the past, but life got busy- I recognize some of your names, but wouldn't blame you if you didn't remember me- it's been awhile.
I am ready to get serious again and lose some of this weight! I am right at 240 and would love to lose 100#, but I know I need to think of it in smaller chunks. My first mini-goal is to get below 200#. I'm breastfeeding full-time and know I can't count on a time-frame right now- it's never helped me lose, quite the opposite I hold onto weight! (ugh!) So I'm hoping it will come off- but if it doesn't very fast I can at least be eating right and exercising. I'm really hoping to be successful with portion control and exercise.
Well, that's me, I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Emily
Old 09-08-2003, 02:50 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Emily!

I'm sorry I won't be personal. I'm still feeling bad. I went to the er last night to be checked and make sure the baby was doing ok. It's alot of sress hurting your back and he wasn't being very active. Things are fine, he's growing good and very healthy. I guess I've done something to a disc in my back. I'll tell you its the worst pain. It ranks right up there with delivery contractions. So I'm still on bed rest... haha!
I'm keeping up gals and reading your posts! Everyone keep up the great work!
Have a great OP day!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #22  

Welcome Emily!! I don't remember you but I look forward to getting to know you now! And congrats on your little 4 month old! I just had a baby myself, he's 2 1/2 months old now, he'll be 11 weeks tomorrow. Time is flying. I am Spryng. Mother of 3. DD (3) ds(2) and now new ds (11 weeks) I'm bottle feeding though so I don't have to worry about dieting while he is young. But you have the right idea.. you can start now by eating healthier and maybe even getting in some regular exercise. That should drop a few lbs while breastfeeding... but the rest will have to wait until you wean. How long do you usually breast feed? But I'm so glad to have you here and I hope you feel right at home. I can't wait to get to know you better!
Misty, I feel so bad for you! Is your DH helping out now that you are bed ridden?? I know it has to be so hard with two other children that need you 24/7, please take it easy so that back will heal soon. You don't want to be pushing out a baby with that back pain on top of it, labor is enough! lol So get better!!
Jen that is a great idea. I'll keep that in mind next time I go over there. It's just that they are a very unhealthy family. My MIL is way over 350#'s and my SIL is 250#'s and they don't care about their weight or health for that matter. Everything they cook is full of butter and full fat ingrediants. My FIL is diabetic and he won't even use sugar substitutes for his coffee or anything... they just don't care. So I'm afraid if I take a salad with me they may be offended. It was much easier on Atkins because I could have full fat things and lots of steak, which is what they love. But now that I am eating healthier as far as fruits and veggies go.. well... it's hard to eat there now. But I will try something next time. Sounds like you got a great exercise program in mind and I hope you lose that 15 #'s for your special day. I'm here to cheer you on!!
Ginny, thanks for telling me I did ok with what I ate last night. I felt really bad about it but I know I was probably fine on my cals especially after I burned about 250 off on my bike. So I'm not fretting about it today.
But I would like to state for the record that I am now a member of WW!! I'm so excited to start this. And boy is it much easier to keep track of than all those calorie numbers I was previously adding up. Thank you so much Ginny for sending me those pamplets and such to get me started. I think I am going to love this plan. infact, as soon as the kids wake up from their nap I plan to head to the grocery store to buy some more items to eat and make meals out of. I'm so psyked right now!!
Well, I'm off here for now. I'll talk to you all later!! Have a great OP day!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:15 PM   #23  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Welcome back Emily!! I do remember you- your screen name is familiar. Great that you can join us again.. I have a WW buddy who checks in at approximately your weight. Weight loss and regaining health is a journey and not a race, thank goodness!!!!!
And if does not matter how long it takes for you to get to the finish line, does it?? That is what I tell my friend- and knowing that weight management will be a lifetime issue for me well then she will always have me for company. (good or bad, whatever that is! ) Same goes for this thread- we are always here- no matter how long or short the journey. BTW- Weight Watchers DOES offer the program for nursing mothers, if you like I can check my literature on that. There is a whole chapter on it in the new Flex Points book I got. Anyway, welcome back.

Michele- oh, you poor lady!!! I will pray for you- ouch, I have injured my back like that where I was unable to get to the car even to get to the Dr.....he had to call in for pain relief just so that I could get to the car to see him. And you are pregnant too!
Good that the baby is fine.......and I wish you were too! Hang in there hon, and try to take it easy. Were they able to give you anything for pain relief that helps? Please don't even attempt to get personal unless you are feeling up to it. Let us know when you can that you are ok.

Spryng- points are so easy to count, aren't they! I love the program and am looking foward to this weeks WI (I snuck on the scale here.....and got a bit excited at what I saw!). Ask away if you have any questions. I can ask Laura at my meeting Wed, if I am stumped (I am not an expert at all). Check out their web site- the recipe today was for Apple pie at 4 points a serving!!! It was made with real sugar- so Dh will eat it and sounded wonderful. Oh, BTW go to eatyourbest.com- and fill out the survey. They will send you a coupon for a free WW frozen Smart Ones meal... some of them are around $4 each, so it is worth it!
Actually anyone can enjoy their meals- not just WW.

Gotta go, I have babbled enough. Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 09-08-2003, 09:50 PM   #24  
hangin' in there...

Hey girls....... just getting ready for work, here, so I only have a moment or two.

Hi Emily! Welcome! Your name looks familiar to me, too. Congrats on your new baby! I think you'll like it here... it's a great and supportive group. My name is Jen, mom to three.

Michele, I feel for you!!! What can I say? Please take care of yourself! I am glad the babe is ok, but sorry you are in such awful pain!

Spryng, how wonderful for you to be so excited about WW! I have often thought about doing it myself. My mother lost lots on WW and is a lifer with them. I think any plan that gets you excited and motivated will work. As for your in-laws...... how sad that they have no concern for their health. Maybe instead of a salad, you could bring something that appears more "hearty" but is actually low cal/fat? You could have fun trying out new recipes on them. I also think your idea of only visiting when it's not mealtime is a good one.

Ginny, I can't wait til your WI now! I am so excited for you! And, I'm going to check out that apple pie recipe. We have an apple orchard very close here, and I make lots of apple pies in the fall. I have been worried about losing control when the time comes. Maybe now I can have my pie and eat it too????

K, gotta run to work..... take care, all!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:31 PM   #25  

Good evening all!
Karen, how did your WI go today? (is it today isn't it?) I hope that scale is moving on down for you!
Ginny, yes I love counting points. I went through my entire kitchen today and counted everything! lol, you should have seen me at the store... i got a few funny looks when I would pull out that food point slider... but hey! I found some great snacks! I also tried a recipe in thet Getting Started brochure. It was the garlic and spinach pasta, 4 points. But I have a question... It said to put 2 garlic cloves (chopped) in a skillet w/ non stick spray for one minute, then stir in 1 cup chopped spinach and 1/2 cup chicken broth (I used a low fat one) and I also added one cup of chopped mushrooms even though the recipe didn't call for that. But it is a 0 point food so I thought I'd add it for taste. Then you simmer for 5 minutes and serve over 3/4 cup of pasta. My question is... I used 1 1/2 cups of pasta and the spinach and mushroom mixture... I'm not sure how many points that added to it. I guessed that it took it up to 6 points but I'm not sure. Any ideas? I wasn't sure if those recipes were for one serving or more because I shared the pasta and sauce with the kids. But after wards I thought that I should have put the entire sauce over my pasta and that is was a one serving dish. I'm a little confused on that . Sorry... And Ican't wait to hear about that WI too!! I bet you broke out of the 150's didn't you!! I'm so jealous! But you deserve it!!
Jen, that is a great idea too. To take something that looks high cal but isn't. I like that alot. That's what I do when they come over here, I only buy diet soda so my FIL has to drink it or water or I make tea and put splenda in it without them knowing it.. I like to know that while he is here his diabetes isn't taking a beating on my behalf, lol. But if you decide you join WW too that would be great!! The more the merrier. I really think I found the "perfect" plan. I'm going to check out some new recipes tonight and try some this week.
Well, I'm so tired. I need to get in bed. I'll chat with you all tomorrow!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #26  
One day at a time.

Hi there!

I've been in and out, trying to keep up with everyone, but mommy brain is total mush lately, so I'll just say hello and I hope all is well!

Misty, take it easy, and try to stay as comfortable as possible for you and the baby! I can relate with you, as my pregnancy pains are still so fresh in my mind. I'm still waddling because Myra put such a strain on my hip bones, it'll take a while for things to get back to normal! I hope you have help, and can feel better soon!

I'm happy to say that little Ms. Myra is finally resting a little better, but seems to have a bit of colic. I did get more rest last night, than I've been getting, and feel pretty good today!

Take care all!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #27  

Good afternoon all!
Mel, I'm glad Myra let you get some sleep last night. Every extra minute sure helps during those first few weeks doesn't it? Thankfully Tanner doesn't get up at all anymore at night. He goes down at 9 pm and sleep until 8-8:30 am. So if I get myself in bed by 11 pm I get a pretty good nights sleep. Aren't the days passing by so fast now?? It seems at the end of pregnancy the days start to slow down and never seem to end and then of course the baby is born.. then time speeds up and the years fly by again. I look at my oldest child (dd, 3) and can't seem to figure out where the time went. She is losing her toddler face and looking like a little girl now. It breaks my heart and makes me smile at the same time. But I know you ladies who have kids in high school know that feeling more than me. We raise them to leave home don't we? To make them into independant, confident, and successful adults yet we yearn for those innocent days of long ago. Ahhh life.
Well anyway... my day is going great. I feel like I get so much food on WW. I feel like I am cheating when I am not. Weird huh? I guess I am so used to being deprived of certain foods or certian portions that having 0 point foods and great recipes makes me feel like it's too easy... lol. I had two wheat pitas for lunch with chicken lunch meat, 1/2 avocado, and lettuce with 9 quaker cheddar cheese rice snacks (and they tasted so great!) all for only 9 points. Yes I know it was a big lunch but I'm usually at my hungriest come lunch time so I ate a little more. Dinner will be around 5-8 points or so. I think I'm going to have stir fry or something to that effect. What do you have planned for dinner Ginny? And where do you use most of your points? Lunch, Dinner? What's a typical day for you on WW?
Well, I'm off here to take a shower while the kids are napping. TTYL!

Last edited by spryng; 09-09-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:18 PM   #28  
hangin' in there...

Hi girls.......... nice to "see" you, Mel....... glad all is well and you are getting some rest. Please post more pics as they become available!

Spryng, sounds like you are lovin' WW!!! I'm so happy for you. Keep it up and you'll be following right in Ginny's footsteps, which are getting smaller and smaller by the week.

Well, I'm having a great OP day today. I had a large bowl of cereal at work last night around 2am, with a banana. I also had a cup of yogurt with blueberries around lunchtime, and that is it for the day! (I normally don't have much of an appetite after I am up all night for work.) Well, I am hungry now, so it looks like I get to enjoy a little something special for dinner. Dd has soccer practice at 5:30, so it's an early meal for us and the kids want pumpkin waffles. They are really not too bad..... using pumpkin lets me leave out the oil, and I use lite syrup. So, I will enjoy! No exercise yet today, but I will try to run around a bit on the soccer field (I am an assistant coach). I think I am actually doing well to just be standing considering ds only let me nap for 90 minutes today!

k, off to mix waffles. have a great nite!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #29  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Sounds like everyone out there in SAHM land is having a good day! Melissa- I am so glad that Myra is behaving herself and gave you some much needed rest. Sorry that she has a touch of colic- what are you doing to try to get thru that? (Ds had it- life was not easy there for a while!) Hang in there- we love to hear from you, mushy mommy brain and all!

Jen, you sound like one inspired lady! The pumpkin waffles sound good- and so healthy!!! Do you use a special recipe for it or just a traditional waffle recipe and replace the fat with pumpkin. How do they taste (strong pumpkin taste) and what kind of flour- white or whole wheat? They sound good- but Ds is a fuss pot eater- andI am wondering for me if it is worth it to make them if he won't try them! Hope you got some rest too- with such a short nap.

Spryng-yes you do get a lot of food on WW. The variety is the best part and there is no need to get bored of what you eat. Please bear in mind that you will not lose at the same rate as Atkins- week one might be 4-5 pounds and after that it is 1-2 pounds a week. But you are learning to eat for the rest of your life so it is worth it! As far as the recipe goes, it should have been somewhere how many servings the recipe made. Your 6 point guess did not sound too far off the mark either. Funny how sooner or later you become really good at guessing how much something is just by looking at it!!!! (and being amazingly right too). You are right, the mushrooms would add no points- but even no point foods have calories. Portion control is important- but loading up on healthy 0 point veggies can't hurt. For example- I can typically eat a huge killer salad (Love salad! )- which is probably about 3 cups of 0 point veggies. And I count that as a serving or two of veggies (usually 2) and of course add the points for what ever goodies I add to the 0 point salad- cheese, dressing, chick peas......whatever.... The extra stuff I do measure carefully, as I know that is where most of the calories come from. But as one tablespoon of ff coolwhip has 0 points- it still has calories.....so you can't eat 2 cups of it and expect to lose weight!! At 2 cups- there are quite a few calories in cool whip. Am I making sense? I hope so. As far as my WW goes- I do not vary usually all that much for breakfast. I have tried lots of different stuff in the morning but for me I almost always have oatmeal and tea or coffee (with skim milk). A 4 point breakfast.
The oatmeal really holds me over well- and I feel great and have lots of energy with it. An english muffin or yogurt seems to fly out of my system and I am hungry again very soon. Mid to late morning I'll have some fruit if I need a snack. For me, I figure I am doing well if I am at 10 points at the end of lunch. That gives me 10 points or a few more if I want to use some of the extra ones- to get thru dinner and have a snack later in the day. Yes, I do have those blow out days when I have a big lunch and am running low on points. That is when a salad and some veggie soup are dinner. There is a mini book called "the right mix" that helps you figure out what foods work best to make you feel satisfied and healthy- and that is different for each of us. They offer some recommendations in that booklet based upon how your respond to some questions. As soon as I get my "new" copy (they are issuing all new literature each week) I'll send you my old one. You would not get it until week 5 if you were doing meetings anyway. Hope ya got your shower in !!!!!

Well tomorrow is WI for me.....have not been to my home meeting for weeks!!! I am looking foward to it and seeing my buddy that I go with. Spryng was right- at home with little clothes I broke out of the 150's to 149. With clothes I doubt I will see that at WW, but I am still excited. Even my "new" jeans are starting to feel big- but I refuse to buy new jeans yet. Gotta get rid of more of this blubber. At some time tomorrow I will get online and tell you what was said at the meeting.
Its been a long day- I had better get to bed . That 5 am walk will be here before I know it!! Have a great nite (and forgive me for not making much sense!)
Ginny
Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #30  

Good evening all!
Ginny thanks for all the info in your post. Yes you made perfect sense about how an item may have 0 points but still has calories so I must be careful. My ff miracle whip has zero calories according to my food slider but I knew not to use more than the 1 tblsp serving or that number can change. So I'm trying to watch my portions too. I ended up having that garlic and spinach pasta again tonight but added a fozen bag of stir fry veggies to it too and it was very good and filling. I made sure to add the extra points too. Oatmeal sounds great. I keep trying to figure out what to eat for braekfast, my special K bars are good but not even close to being filling, I think I may have some oatmeal tomorrow too! I can use splenda to sweeten it. Now I am looking forward to breakfast, lol. My day has been tiring. Tanner has been crying most of the day. I think he wasn't feeling well. But he ate just fine and all that and now he looks like an angel in his bassinet. I've been hungry all day too. Don't know why. So I feel like I had alot to eat but really I only came to 19 points by tonight. So I'm below my range. Oh and I talked to my DH tonight and he'll be home on the 19th for the weekend!!! I'm so excited to know that!! And I got my bike ride in. My metabolism is picking up too because of my exercise. How do I know? Well I read that you know your exercise is working when you sweat earlier into the workout. Well I wasn't even on for 5 minutes when I broke out into a sweat! I know it's crazy to get excited about that but I am. It's nice to know my body is working right and that I was burning some fat off.
Well, I am getting in bed early tonight. Oh I did want to say that I tried on my size 12 jeans (I'm in 14 right now) and I could button them but they were tight. But that is a sign that it is not far off from being attainable!! Guess I am losing inches afterall!! So it's been a long trying day but a great night! I'll see you all tomorrow! G'nite!
Closed Thread