Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hello Everyone!!!!

Just found this on the Today show website... they are apparently looking for volunteers to be a part of this....

http://www.msnbc.com/news/961083.asp

Thought you might be interested.... maybe someone from this board can become one of his volunteers....
Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #17  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry

Thanks Angel!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #18  

I just ordered the book.

I'm almost a bit afraid to start delving into what I get out of being fat and why I'm scared of succeeding! Sometimes I'm not sure I want to know that much about myself.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #19  

Mrs K....we're all in the same boat. Can't wait until the show tomorrow and when he starts it on his own show.

Deb

Great job on rejoining TKD
Old 09-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #20  

Default Skinny4baby

Hi Skinny4baby. My name is Sheila and your post touched home with me. I was also sexually abused as a child ( my father from before I can remember till i was 16) I went through 7 diffrent therapists and two trips to the stress unit at the local hospital untill i found the right doctor for me. Please do not give up on therapy. It has made a world of diffrence to me. I now have a loving husband, great sex life and a decent relationship with my parents. My weight is the last issue that I am dealing with. If you would like to talk more please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or I am on aim screen name motorcyclemom40. Sheila Winnie
Old 09-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #21  
Mommy, wife, teacher

No one philosophy is fool proof. I say, let's take from Dr. Phil what works for each of us. I like his no nonsense style. He's not perfect, but he does make some very valid points.

I was fortunate to not be a sexual abuse victim as a child, however I was a victim of a rape attempt, and had to deal with sexual harrassment from a distant family member for many years until coincidentally, I became obese. For me, being overweight is a protective barrier from unwanted male attention. I live in my cocoon. I'm not gawked at. I feel safer that way. There may be some rage buried deep down. But more than anything I just feel the need to protect myself. I pray that some day, I can shed my protective coating and be free!!!!! Summer
Old 09-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #22  
Walking by faith

Angry Hi Ladies!

I'm a fan of Dr. Phil, and I'm looking forward to his weight loss challenge series. Wundawoman, you're right in that Dr. Phil doesn't have the magic solution to weight loss. But he does have some good insights into human behavior, and I like his no-nonsense approach. I'm an emotional eater-I use food as a comforter/transquilzer/friend; and I also use my weight as a shield from hurt (sounds strange, but it's something I've only recently acknowledged). I'm not so much interested in a diet per se as I am about dealing with the issues that keep me in this vicious cycle.

Thanks for the info about the Today show-I'll think I'll take a peek tomorrow.

Good night everyone !
Old 09-05-2003, 01:28 AM   #23  

Hi All!

Sorry, made a mistake on the Today show thing.....that's what I get for not verifying it for myself. Took some research but Dr Phil and Katie Curik are supposed to do their thing next friday.

CORRECTION: DR. PHIL AND KATIE CURIK WILL HAVE THEIR 2 HOUR SHOW ON SEPT 12TH. I TRIED TO FIND THE EXACT TIME AND WHATNOT BUT COULDN'T ....SUPPOSED TO BE IN PRIME TIME AND I THINK IT'S ON CHANNEL 4.

If anyone knows anything different please post it. Sorry for messing up the times

Deb
Old 09-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #24  
Work in Progress

I don't think that any one person has the answer, it will ultimately come from within. We are damaged in some way if we are medicating with food.

I myself am dealing with the inability to deal with anger without eating... I would just like to find a productive way to move forward, I would like to put my past behind me so that I can be here today and create tomorrow!! Anything that assists me in figuring that out hoorah.....one on one therapy,Dr. Phil, hypnosis, writing personally I am doing it all!! It will take a entire village to give me enough support!!!

As far as making money off the truth...I can get behind that! I support everyone's free choice, but why come to a thread that is excited and supportive about something and dish it? I don't get that...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #25  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I am so excited about Dr. Phil's new book and weighloss series I just can't stand it! The anticipation is killing me!

This is the reason why----A few years back, when he was on Oprah, he did a three part "get real with fat" series, three Tuesdays in a row. Anyone remember that? Well, I watched the first show, and he said something that made complete sense to me. Something clicked in my head. I remember I was eating ice cream at the time, and I put the spoon down! I stopped overeating all together and lost 20 lbs that year. I did tape the next two shows, but they didn't have the same impact on me as that first show did. I wish I had a tape of that first show! Now, I hope, he will have that effect on me again. I so badly want to have that click in my head again and get real with all this.

Heidi
Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #26  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry Good Afternoon...

DEB ~ Thanks for letting us know when to look for the show... I kinda figured it all out when I had the show on this morning and they said that Katie was 'on location'. I am looking forward to seeing the interview and I too cannot wait for the shows to begin. I so enjoy programs that help you become a better person

HOMEBOUND ~ Miss you on CE-er's Hope all is going well with you today!

Take Care everyone...
God Bless!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-05-2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:19 AM   #27  

Hi All!

Sorry again about the mix up. I even went out and bought VHS tapes at midnight to tape it

I remember that series from Oprah. Still have it on tape I think. What really got me is that I watched it, it clicked, then it didn't and then I was kicking myself when they did the follow ups. You know ...."if I'd only started"....type deal.

RB: What you said about eating to cope with anger rang a bell here. Had an awful day today....family fighting and all I really wanted to do was eat carbs. Sitting here with a bag of chocolate now. I know it's not making me emotionally feel better but it's numbing me. Not good.

Hmmmmm, aren't I Mary Sunshine today?! Hope everyone has a great weekend. I have to go find a dress for a formal wedding....eek!

Deb
Old 09-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #28  
GmaTo8

FYI - I got my October Oprah magazine in the mail, and it has an exerpt from Dr. Phil's new book in it.

I haven't had time to read it yet, but thought I'd share this info for those of you who would like to preview the plan before you buy the book. Or for those who don't want to invest in buying the book.

Jana
Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 AM   #29  
Work in Progress

Hey Deb!
What I am learning is that I have developed undesirable coping mechanisms to deal with my feelings of anger, rejection/accpetance and disappointment.

When I was younger, I was the perfect child -- and my parents made me feel that if I got angry that I was "bad". Therefore whenever I got angry, I was too afraid to express my anger, I had to suppress it.....depression is anger suppressed and how I eventually made myself feel better was to eat...or medicate with food.

Through years of therapy, and most recently the loss of my father I just realized that through my grieving process I was not able to be angry without triggering a food binge. So now, my commitment is to not only stick to an eating plan that works for my body and when I get angry to NOT eat......and I literally go insane....I say things that I don't mean, I yell and I really just want to jump out and down and scream (although I don't do that ---just a fantasy!!). My therpist says just "be with the feelings and don't fix it" frankly I want to bash her face in at that moment. But once I have taken the hours to breathe through that time I do get clarity, I love my therapist again and I am more relaxed overall.

Frankly, my friends are great and they are just so happy that I am getting angry...they say I should have been getting angry for years. They just think its cute...I am very lucky.

It is such a personal journey, but I can tell you that for me, a weight/scale/appearace goal oriented gal, walking myself through being angry and not eating is truly the greatest accomplishment.

And I really know that all of the years of listening to Oprah and Dr. Phil have contributed to my personal growth, I am very excited to read his new book.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:28 PM   #30  

Hi All!

RB: Good for you! I haven't been able to tap that anger yet. Just seems like it would overwhelm me...little afraid to be honest. Remember a friend asking me that once....I'd just broken off a 5 year relationship and I seemed okay. Said I was okay. Thought I was okay. My friend said to me, "With all the reasons you just gave for breaking off the relationship (he was a real jerk) where is all the anger? What did you do with it?" That question dumbfounded me.

Jana: Thanks for the heads up on the Oprah Magazine. Will go check it out!

Don't know if you guys know this but you can print off a weight chart from the home page of 3FC....pretty good way to keep track of stuff.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Deb
Closed Thread