Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I agree & I really shouldn't unequivically bash them. They are great for medical diets and pregnancy, and sometimes with eating disorders too. Absolutely essential, imo. Based on my experience with them, though, they never retreat. Instead of saying 'we do not treat mental issues with overeating' they hang out the shingle and invite people with compulsive overeating issues and then do absolutely nothing besides prescribe a healthy diet with the admonition that 'preventing physical hunger makes it easier to deal with emotional eating.' While that is useful to a point, it leaves a huge gap. I know there are notable exceptions among clinical nutritionists. But they are exceptions and likely have some sort of mental health credentials. ok rant over!
No, bash away! It's no fun if everyone has the same thing to say.

I've had bad experiences with dietitians in the past and know some suck. But the one I went to see for a real plan was great and a big help to me, so I want to share the good side.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #77  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

I also did 1500 calories for 2 months ... Ate clean and walked a lot. I cried and felt so disheartened when I gained 6 pounds...literally a 1/2 pound each week like clockwork.

It is our DNA to have bodies that love carbs and gain gain gain when we eat them. I have heard so many times that calories are all the same but I guarantee you that if I am on a strict lo carb that I do not gain. I do want to lose but I also want to stop gaining.

If you are getting 70 grams of protein each day, and drinking a gallon of water each day, wit lots of salad and veggies and sea salt plus calcium pills -- I would bet that 1000 calories is feeling pretty good. Don't forget to take potassium.

I guess I can totally relate to your POV. Stay sunny side up!
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #78  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyniagara View Post
I also did 1500 calories for 2 months ... Ate clean and walked a lot. I cried and felt so disheartened when I gained 6 pounds...literally a 1/2 pound each week like clockwork.

It is our DNA to have bodies that love carbs and gain gain gain when we eat them. I have heard so many times that calories are all the same but I guarantee you that if I am on a strict lo carb that I do not gain. I do want to lose but I also want to stop gaining.

If you are getting 70 grams of protein each day, and drinking a gallon of water each day, wit lots of salad and veggies and sea salt plus calcium pills -- I would bet that 1000 calories is feeling pretty good. Don't forget to take potassium.

I guess I can totally relate to your POV. Stay sunny side up!
Oops...I meant to link this to the 5/30/15 post by "lucky momma" I can't get the edit to work...I goofed.
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #79  

Exclamation

I know how it feels to not be able to stop eating and to feel horrible afterwards. I was an overeater myself, and I tried so many way to overcome this eating disorder, however I can tell you that the easiest way to stop overeating forever is to re-program your brain. I know it sounds complex, but it is quite easy. I learned everything from a woman, Heather, who has a great youtube video in which she explains what you must do to overcome binge eating forever. She also gives away for free her last ebook and smartphone App. Hope it will help you too...
balogmagdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #80  

If you want to lose weight in my opinion, you need to create a fast metabolism for yourself. I lost 30 pounds in the last few months and I didn’t have to kill myself for it. I simply increased my metabolic rate to more than 2000 calories per day and my recommendation is to do the same, because right now your metabolic rate is at around 1400 calories per day, which means you are almost gaining weight.

Last edited by balogmagdy; 06-04-2015 at 11:06 AM.
balogmagdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #81  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes 237 View Post
I know it's not an individualized thing, but I want that Normal BMI and I want it bad. A little shallow. I'll own that.

I have been waiting a long time to have a Normal BMI. I was THRILLED when I went from Obese to Overweight. Nobody was ever so happy to be classed as Overweight as I was on that day. I was all, "I'm OVERWEIGHT!!! YAY!! I'm Overrrweeei-eight! I'm not Obeee-eese. I'm overweight! Yay me!" That was a great day.

Being overweight is now less of a thrill. I want to be "Normal."
I remember that feeling too! We humans are social creatures so it's no surprise that we want to conform to a definition of normal that bombards us through media and even our own docs day after day. And if it is motivating, that's a good thing! As long as it doesn't drive a super muscular or large-boned person into dysmorphia simply to fit this norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
ladynredd, thanks so much for posting this article. I wish everyone in the world would read it and watch the video included. Perhaps then, people would stop the judging and treat us food addicts with a little more compassion. We didn't ask for this problem and we're not gluttons.
I let this post percolate....I have to say I agree, incl. with your feeling tone, luckymommy. I'm beginning to feel exasperated with the struggle beyond that of the actual addiction struggle. I'm tired of worrying about how to negotiate a way to eat around others that does not offend. Since I lost weight I feel an expectation to just eat like everyone else. I may try telling people I am diabetic.

I feel thankful that I am not addicted to drugs or alcohol with their devastating social consequences. But I sure wish I could get insurance to cover help for my addiction. My workplace actually pays for rehab for addiction treatment--wonder what they would do if I filed for food addiction rehab. Just saying....We are expected to suck it up and just use will power, etc etc. Even on this support forum 3FC, you cannot post a word about your food addiction without a self-proclaimed expert immediately posting that there is no such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyniagara View Post
I have spent the last year trying to calorie count and stay under 60 carbs each day but it has been an uphill climb to do this while battling the addiction. I think it is just simpler/easier to have a strict guideline of "faux IP" which keeps my pancreas happy and my insulin dreamy.

I am on day 6 of ketosis and already feel soooo much calmer and relaxed. This Friday I have family coming and I wish there was something I could tell them that would help them to help me but people just think its a silly thing, to refuse any sugar at all. We need to invent a word for this problem that the world will take seriously. Wouldn't that be great?

Thanks for this link to the alternatives group ... I will join it!
amyniagara Glad to hear you have found and are rocking IP alts! I wish I could do IP again. I no longer can function well on P1--not sure if it's too low carb or too low cal. Anyway, keep up the great work!

Quote:
No, bash away! It's no fun if everyone has the same thing to say.

I've had bad experiences with dietitians in the past and know some suck. But the one I went to see for a real plan was great and a big help to me, so I want to share the good side.
Thanks Stripes Did I mention my one of my other addictions is 'lively' discussion Sounds like you are doing great, btw!

I think I am going to follow some of the advice in ladynredd's link and make a list of triggering foods, maybe hold off on dieting. I do not want to join a 12 step program--just not a good fit. Though I think they are overall on the right track about addiction recovery. Outside support is a key ingredient imo, especially given the social attitudes to food addiction.. Hmmmmm, what to do....

Last edited by mars735; 06-04-2015 at 12:18 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #82  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynredd View Post
Ran across this interesting article today on food addiction:
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to...ood-addiction/
I'm bumping up this link so that anyone tuning in today can easily find it. Thanks again for sharing, ladynredd!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #83  

I'm having a rough day. I've spent so much time thinking about treats and when looking up my favorite bread recipe, I was flipping through cakes with whole grains.

I even dreamed about trying to decide if I should buy a Hostess Fruit Pie last night. I don't remember the outcome and hope I made the right choice, lol.

Taking the butter out to make the bread made me want to grab a couple extra sticks.

My period is due (two days ago) and this is always the hardest time, so I'm reminding myself to be extra tough.

I don't want to wake up tomorrow being sorry that I ate a cake. I want to wake up being proud that I didn't.

I cannot make one and eat a piece. That's out!

The nothing part is the hardest part of All or Nothing.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #84  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
The nothing part is the hardest part of All or Nothing.
Too true. I'm trying to welcome the 'nothing'. On the other side of it is freedom. Two things that sometimes help me are 1) distraction. Move away from food entirely to something else to get your mind off. Preferably physical, even if it's organizing your desk top. Or go online shopping to look at something interesting/enjoyable that is not food-related.

2. This is easier said than done but very powerful when you get some practice under your belt (note to self, here): welcome the nothing with curiosity. This is mindfulness practice and it really works. Practice being the key word. Try to watch what comes into play in your mind around the idea of having the thing you are wanting, and also what happens when you think of NOT having it.

It's the opportunity to know ourselves on a deeper level that is missed when we go for the craving of moment. That's my mantra today.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Too true. I'm trying to welcome the 'nothing'. On the other side of it is freedom. Two things that sometimes help me are 1) distraction. Move away from food entirely to something else to get your mind off. Preferably physical, even if it's organizing your desk top. Or go online shopping to look at something interesting/enjoyable that is not food-related.

2. This is easier said than done but very powerful when you get some practice under your belt (note to self, here): welcome the nothing with curiosity. This is mindfulness practice and it really works. Practice being the key word. Try to watch what comes into play in your mind around the idea of having the thing you are wanting, and also what happens when you think of NOT having it.

It's the opportunity to know ourselves on a deeper level that is missed when we go for the craving of moment. That's my mantra today.

Thanks for that. It's been a serious struggle. I had a big bowl of Raisin Bran (with cranberries, so good, when did that start?) today since extra fiber in the morning is supposed to help.

It's usually one day at a time, today, it's one minute at a time.

Distraction is good. I shall walk. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I haven't posted here lately, so I just wanted to share some things that are helping me.

As some of you know from previous posts I did a 12-day detox about 2 months ago and am still eating healthy. The detox included very healthy food options, but no processed foods, flour, sugar, caffeine, dairy, or alcohol.

I mostly eat salads for lunch, but I forgot my lunch yesterday so I bought an egg salad sandwich on rye and small bag of Fritos Corn chips. I was sooooo full after eating that. Yuck! I would have been good just with the sandwich. I think the Fritos took me over the edge. I have really been trying to listen to my body, so no more Fritos. I'll still do a little bread, but maybe not for lunch!

Last week I went to the movies and had popcorn. I was so full and tired when I got out of there. I hate how I felt and that was another lesson. I have a hard time going to the movies and not having popcorn, so I just have to go less often and maybe just buy the smallest bag.

I'm also experimenting with some great snacks! I made a vegan chocolate mouse with dates, avocado, and raw cacao. I'm also making my own granola now. It's a great satisfying snack. But really sticking with unprocessed foods, no dairy (since I'm lactose intolerant), eating lots of greens, fruits, nuts, whole grains, and free range chicken or turkey.

Eating healthy is becoming a habit and I don't even have to think about it much. I'm not craving those processed foods and sweets anymore.
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #87  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshliRose View Post
I haven't posted here lately, so I just wanted to share some things that are helping me.

As some of you know from previous posts I did a 12-day detox about 2 months ago and am still eating healthy. The detox included very healthy food options, but no processed foods, flour, sugar, caffeine, dairy, or alcohol.

I mostly eat salads for lunch, but I forgot my lunch yesterday so I bought an egg salad sandwich on rye and small bag of Fritos Corn chips. I was sooooo full after eating that. Yuck! I would have been good just with the sandwich. I think the Fritos took me over the edge. I have really been trying to listen to my body, so no more Fritos. I'll still do a little bread, but maybe not for lunch!

Last week I went to the movies and had popcorn. I was so full and tired when I got out of there. I hate how I felt and that was another lesson. I have a hard time going to the movies and not having popcorn, so I just have to go less often and maybe just buy the smallest bag.

I'm also experimenting with some great snacks! I made a vegan chocolate mouse with dates, avocado, and raw cacao. I'm also making my own granola now. It's a great satisfying snack. But really sticking with unprocessed foods, no dairy (since I'm lactose intolerant), eating lots of greens, fruits, nuts, whole grains, and free range chicken or turkey.

Eating healthy is becoming a habit and I don't even have to think about it much. I'm not craving those processed foods and sweets anymore.
Good for you, learning lessons and practicing good, new, healthy habits.

I'm right there with you, getting out of some bad ones and sticking with (trying real hard to stick with, anyway) better ones.

I do eat more processed foods than I should. Working on it!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #88  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hope your walk helped Stripes. If I may share something I learned from my appt with <<ahem>> clinical nutritionist , there is some research that shows that delaying an urge to eat by a fraction of a second allows other parts of the brain to get involved in the decision about whether or not to eat. So the impulse comes from some survival reflex--esp for calorie-reducing folks and travels along nerves pathways that are faster than those of our reasoning brain. Allowing a pause gives reason a chance to kick in. That said, sometimes those urges gain traction and can be distracting obsessions---this is what I find difficult to ignore. Work in progress.

Last edited by mars735; 06-04-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #89  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

mars, thanks for totally getting it. I just wanted to share something that happened today. I emailed a copy of that article to my mom and she came over today. She's a wonderful mom but she likes to micromanage me...especially what I'm eating and it drives me crazy. I asked her if she read the article and she said she won't be reading it. She already read another article I sent her in the past and really, anything can be proven these days with "science." She continued on that nowadays, they can prove why (psychologically?) people commit murder. Huh!?!?! I asked her if she's comparing my eating disorder to murder and she started chuckling about it, so I let it go. I didn't want to get into a fight with her but if this is my mom's attitude, then I doubt the world reading this article would make much of a dent. The info is out there, but people are very much stuck in their way of seeing the world.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #90  
maintaining since 9/2013

Omg luckymommy! Moms sure do know how to push buttons. They can be very triggering. I hope you are tending well to yourself, post-visit!

When I visit my mom, I end up stuffing my face at Whole Foods on the way home every single time. It used to be fast food, & now the WF volume has tapered down, so I've made progress.

It's especially painful and/or annoying to get those undermining comments from those close to us. Do you think she views your ED as a reflection on her mothering and perhaps feels defensive? I can never fathom my own mom's motivations--sometimes they seem like autopilot reactions to things from her own past and have little to do with me.

As for people evolving in their acceptance of FA, you're probably right. There is a lot of research money being pumped into food addiction these days. That, along with advances in neurobiology should yield some interesting results for the climate-change deny-ers, oops, I meant food addiction deny-ers!

I've been casting about today trying to figure out how to feed myself going forward. I'm thinking of Slow Carb, as it's desribed in the 3FC thread. It fits my low carb WOE but is not as restrictive as my default, which is now too restrictive for me.

Hi AshliRose Great to hear from you! Those recipes sound delish (tho i admit I would probably scarf the granola in one sitting )

Have a good evening FFAs & TGIF tomorrow!

Last edited by mars735; 06-04-2015 at 10:00 PM.