Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #16  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

JoJoJo, you go go go! 85 years old, you inspire me. You lost 70+ pounds!! Wow, just wow. Maintenance seems to be the hardest thing. I hope I get There from Here and learn to keep it that way!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #17  

I use an exchange program - with the number of exchanges calculated by a nutritionist. I really recommend going to a nutritionist and getting the types of foods along with the amount of calories that you need (each exchange is figured on a calorie count). Exchanges are so easy to keep track of and keep me from being obsessive about every calorie, while still getting the correct amount of nutrition that I need. A nutritionist will also help you figure out what you need to eat when for your lifestyle.
Mary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #18  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I think calorie-counting, or variations of, is the only way to keep weight off. There are a multitude of ways to LOSE weight, but it seems that all the maintainers calorie count.

Few people can stick to no-carb or packet-dinner diets forever. If it is not something you can do forever, why start it? I probably sound crabby, but it is concerning reading some of the diet plans on here, and kowing that most of them will gain back the weight or get bored and stop altogether. Diet fads and quick fixes may seem great at first, but slow and steady really does win the race.

Good luck!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointspluspioneer View Post
Thanks, that is very helpful! The one thing about ww that bothers me is that you never know your calories exactly. I've been starting exercising more so hoping that helps. I am a chip/snack junkie and need to wean off of that. Starting out on low carb for a bit may be helpful too.

I was thinking about the word "diet" as i wrote it saying to myself i should change that to "lifeystyle"!!!!!

I like calorie counting because no food is off limits to me. I can't stick with a plan longterm in which I can't eat carbs, sweets, etc.

As for estimating calories, that mainly comes into play when you go out to eat at a non-chain restaurant or when you eat out socially (i.e., at someone else's house). Those incidents happen rarely enough so that estimating will not set you back. When you eat at home, you can calculate the calories pretty well if you weigh and measure. I use an app on my smart phone where I input what I eat, and it adds up my calories. It saves the most eaten foods, and since I do tend to eat some of the same foods routinely, I don't have to look them up every time.

As for the seemingly perpetual semantic debate between "lifestyle" and "diet," to be honest, I get a bit tired of having to make that distinction between "diet" and "lifestyle." After all, on any weight loss board, all know what we mean when we use the word "diet." Besides, technically, "diet" just means what we eat, so it's no better or worse than "lifestyle." (This is not a slam to Shan or anyone else; it's just a pet peeve of mine).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Calorie counting for me was an educational tool to understand the energy needs of my body.

Calorie counting is the way that I lose weight because it makes me aware of how much I am eating and how it affects my body. I may love eating chocolate chip cookies, but when they are 100 calories each and an hour later I'm hungry for more food again, then I become aware of how that food affects me and I make a change around that.

So for me, it's not a diet, it's not only about losing weight, but it's about learning more about my body and health.

I think all "diet" plans work, as long as you follow them (as someone else already said).

The question is what works for you over the long term, for the rest of your life?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I calorie count and count WW (flex) points. My trackers are all in WW, I weigh in once a week, use my weeklies sometimes, but I write my calories down for general knowledge.

I'm also a whole foods eater about 90% of the time. The other 10% is mainly used on bread products that I can find that aren't completely clean but give me a good calorie base (ie - ezekiel products, whole foods high fiber pitas, trader joe's flat bread round like arnold's, trader joe's low carb tortillas, and even flatout sometimes). Because I don't make my own breads, I tend to eat less of them and it naturally makes my meals lower in carbs. I eat a lot of soups and stews, and eat a variation of egg whites every morning.

Nothing is off limits, and I can follow this plan for the rest of my life.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I've tried them all ( Or so it seems) I find calorie counting works best for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #23  

Height: 5'4"

This is a great thread, a lot of great info! Thank you!

I've always leaned towards calorie counting as i went and did nutritionalysis at the gym and got a calorie specific menu for my body specifically. It averages about 1350 calories/day but to be honest, i found that i can't eat THAT healthy everyday. I like an occasional frozen yogurt, or pizza, etc. I love ww but my issue has always been is i could be eating 800 calories or 2000 calories, i have no clue just based on points. I really am disappointed in myself for letting myself go after i had surgery. I was down 15 lbs, now up right where i started. So bummed out and feel like giving up saying what's the point but then know that i will keep gaining with that attitude.

Ugghhh i'm so hard on myself on a daily basis which is another road block i face. Being depressed all the time is probably holding onto the weight
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 252/246/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Another counter

I also loooove being able to go out to dinner and have a drink on the weekends. I hate feeling like CAN'T have something so most 'diets' don't work well for me. By counting calories I can have anything. If I want something splurgey I just account for it. Rocco Dispirito's books have helped with good light recipes, as has been focusing on getting lots more fresh foods into my diet. Minimizing the packages and fast foods helps!!!
I also drinks tons of water (around 100-120 oz. a day during the week/at work... less on weekends, if I forget to drink) which helps keep water weight off. On a Monday after not drinking lots of worker on the weekend I tend to run 2lbs high or so. By Wednesday that's gone.
Lastly I add in regualr exercise of some sort. At least a 20 minute walk on lunch at work, often something bigger on the weekends, like a hike or a 2.5-3 mile walk/jog.

I am 25lbs down since I started keeping track, but have been doing very poorly since July or so. There has been a ton of stress and some lingering depression which I am trying to fight off. That's been my only downfall. I was doing great when I was on the wagon.
Scarbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #25  

Height: 5'10"

Weight Watchers.
fitwayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #26  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Why would I want to rely on WWPP for everything I put into my mouth when I can simply rely on the calories? WW has lost me. Come November, I will not renew. So disappointing.

Truthfully I think that if someone is able and willing to calorie count and the only reason they are doing WW is to get the Points plus counts for foods and use that instead, then WW isn't helpful. However....

WW itself says that it is easier for people to keep track of a 2 digit number (your daily PP) rather than a 4 digit number (daily calories). And, for many people -- perhaps most -- that is true.

For me, I can count calories fine (and do). However, the things I get from WW have nothing to do with whether I'm counting calories or PP or both. I just do better knowing that each week I'm going to weigh in and wanting to do well. It makes each week a very specific external goal and it helps me stay on track. That might not be true for others but is very true for me.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
I think calorie-counting, or variations of, is the only way to keep weight off. There are a multitude of ways to LOSE weight, but it seems that all the maintainers calorie count.

Few people can stick to no-carb or packet-dinner diets forever. If it is not something you can do forever, why start it? I probably sound crabby, but it is concerning reading some of the diet plans on here, and kowing that most of them will gain back the weight or get bored and stop altogether. Diet fads and quick fixes may seem great at first, but slow and steady really does win the race.

Good luck!

Hmmm - different things work for different people. I'm doing low carb because it's what works best for me. I did the calorie counting thing and I was always cranky, hungry and discouraged because unless I was semi-starving myself (less than 1,000 calories a day) the scale did not budge. For me THAT was not sustainable. Discouraged and hungry I would start consuming more calories (not crazy amounts - like 1400 - 1600 a day) and my weight loss would completely stop. Then I would get frustrated - what's the point in dieting yourself crazy if you're really not getting anywhere with it?

I started low carb at the end of May. For the first time in my VERY long dieting life I'm not constantly starving. I'm eating a reasonable amount of calories and I'm satisfied AND I'm losing weight. I don't see this as a temporary fix or a fad - it's something that I'm going to need to do for the rest of my life because this seems to be how my body functions best.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #28  
I think I can...

Calorie counting worked well for me. But I found that most of my calories came from carbs which was not good for me since I'm insulin resistant.
South Beach Diet worked great for me & I'm actually giving it another try now with similarly good results.
I tried WW once but I was STARVING on WW (This was 2 yrs ago before the unlimited fruits and veggies).
I also had wonderful, amazing results on La Weight Loss. I know most of the centers are closed. But the diet plan itself is all over the internet and can be purchased on Ebay for about $2.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #29  

Height: 5'4"

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that my best friend is doing ww with me and has lost a TON of weight and she insists that i should be able to lose the same way. I've told her a million times that our bodies are not the same when it comes to losing weight. She disagrees to the end with me. I can't argue with that anymore lol! I told her i couldn't make ww tomorrow morning as i'm having a home gym delivered and need to be there. She said i'm starting to make excuses. It's alot of pressure to defend myself AND stay on track. I've never been this off track in the 37 years of my life. It's a bad feeling but with what i'm going through depression wise, surgery, loss of a parent, etc i don't know up from down.

I did Atkins for 2 years and only lost 4 lbs. BUT i was NEVER hungry, just disappointing the weightloss didn't come with it. It's hard to know how many calories i should stick with. As a rule i try to stay around 1300. I know that my lack of water drinking probably isn't helping either.....uggghhhh someone needs to create that magic skinny pill!!! This on top of trying to get pregnant, i'll be 800 lbs. if that happens!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointspluspioneer View Post
Hi,

I've been posting here a while, usually on the weight watchers forum. I've been doing ww since this past Dec with a few month hiatus after surgery. I lost 15, gained it back, you know the drill!!

My question is, what diet do you find to work the best and easy in your lifestyle. I like to go out on Saturday nights for dinner and some drinks. It seems that on ww i plateau fast, or gain back fast.

I did Atkins (too harsh) for a couple of years a while back. I wasn't hungry but i wasn't losing either. Was looking for some feedback on what plan works for you! i see a lot of calorie counters out there!
Hi, I post on the "diabetes" and "over 50" boards. I want to spend whatever is left of my life enjoying the foods that I like. So I basically count calories, but I also have to go easy on starchy carbs for my diabetes. The main change I have made is to eat slower so I can feel the feeling being satisfied, and then I stop. I wrap up whatever's left for a snack or another meal. I would rather have a little bit of something I like than eat lots of something else because it is considered "diet" food. For years while I was gaining, I didn't know what hunger felt like. Now I like getting that stomach growl now and then, because it tells me I'm doing something right.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote