Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 09:57 AM   #61  
deleted2

Punkinseed, that's great news about the guys coming to trim things up. A coup indeed!

Upandaway, thanks for the reminder for us all to be kinder to ourselves. I had a fairly intense episode of hating certain parts of my body yesterday--something I swore I wouldn't do again--but at least I knew it wasn't real, that it was just a trick of the mind and I got over it pretty fast.

Kaylets, love that little genie guy! Too funny! You're so lucky to have rain. It's so dry here--I wish it would rain for days. I even had to call it quits with the garden. Have heard of wells drying up and didn't even want to water it. Still have some peppers and tomatoes hanging on. Plenty of HOT Thai peppers---I should learn to love them.

Oh, I almost forgot. Going into day 3 of my personal moon challenge--so far so good. Why is it so easy to forget what a difference a day makes?

Anybody doing anything stunningly healthy this weekend? Since it's so hot here I'm going to stay inside all day and I'm going to find a trashy movie to watch while walking on the treadmill--4 miles is my goal. Also, I want to get back into Pilates so I'm going to do videos this weekend.

Old 08-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #62  
Empress/Queen

Yo! As a matter of fact I AM doing something stunningly healthful this weekend. I am being Artemis and hunting down the things that keep me fat, stressed and dependent on others. I'm on a stress busting rampage and feel great!!!

Over the course of one afternoon I have decided to ignore a series of emails that an ex-friend keeps sending me telling me why I am a bad person. These have been two or three times a day for four days and I kept answering them and then receiving another one and answering them again. Today I asked myself why I needed this in my life and I just deleted the latest email without opening it. It's amazing how empowering this is ... haven't received anymore emails either.

Next, I just called my publisher and said I needed another week to complete an assignment as I just can't find the sources I need and don't know what I'm writing about. Turned out that was fine so I feel ok taking the rest of the weekend off as I'm way overstressed. I believe stress has a definite correlation to weight gain (raises cortisol levels for one thing).

Eydie, congrats on day three of your moon challenge. I think that's a great idea for a challenge. I'm kind of unofficially doing that, too, thanks to your suggestion. I usually have two to three challenges going at one time on the weight and fitness front!!!

Tomorrow is the first day of my new personal weight loss initiative! Only the last week of the six week "blue" initiative has been really strong, but I hope to post a loss on the five pound challenge thread and I am recommitting myself to being strong and independent in this fight for health and life ... maybe this is the Artemis Initiative, because this aspect is what she represents to me.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 08-24-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:05 PM   #63  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Am down a pound and a half ... or a half pound from the five-pound challenge weight, whichever way one wants to look at it!!! I have done my spreadsheets for the new six-week initiative, two sections of 21 days each, so I'm kinda on the block again, but my challenges for the initiative relate to weekly averages for calories (average in the 1700s or below for the week) and totals for exercise calories burned (in the 1800s or above for the week). I am naming my initiative THE MOON INITIATIVE thanks Eydie for the idea and I am dividing it into two blocks of three weeks each and calling them BLUE MOON BLOCK and GREEN MOON BLOCK. I am rededicating myself to fitness, health and weight loss (because I feel happier and healthier at a moderate weight and do not wish to regain to the point I had reached before). I'm also going to stick to the five-day challenge at least until I reach 160 (4.5 to go).

Kaylets: Thanks for the PM ... that was very sweet of you ... I tried to reply but the system kicked me out (it does that when I try to use the chatroom, too). I AM feeling much better (I've invoked Artemis who helps me in that regard! Hope it's ok to mention this on the board but there it is anyhow! In some incarnations, Artemis represents the moon, so my Moon Initiative is really an integration of my intention to be fit, strong, independent and joyful through all adversity and despite any who might wish me harm ... as well as a mechanism for counting calories!).

Well, this post is a bit of the me, me, me type, but I wish everyone the improved mood I am experiencing and that everyone will look forward to passing through September with determination, peacefulness and joy as we come to my favorite month: October!!! I have determined that all of my sorrows and difficulties will be hunted down and removed (nonviolently, of course) by that time. And, if not, well, there's always next year!
Old 08-25-2002, 01:20 PM   #64  

Smile Sunday

Hello all--

Yesterday's socializing worked out very well- was really glad we had brought a cooler with water because there were only 4 of us not drinking alchol and the other 2 had their own soda-- It was a true byob - only byod !! It was an interesting contrast, the 1st event with the new job group and 2nd a reunion of the old job--
First group LOVED the fruit w/ yogurt dip, 2nd group was NOT impressed with the "make your own salad" fixings we brought- One out of two isnt bad- 2nd group wasnt eating much anyway if you know what I mean-- well, not much more than the jello shots-- ANYWAY

Were looking for our digital camera in my husbands study which evolved into a "57 Fling Boogie" -- in other words, two big bags of trash- not exactly a real workout but lots of stairwork.
Made a real dent especially in the closet--- even found something we thought we had sent to dd and dsil --amazing what we find --

Amarantha-- It was my pleasure--

My diabetic thread says they found some SF Davinci syrups cheap at Marshalls-- I don't have one close or I'd have already been there-- I realize, they may have only been certain stores that recvd any but it might be worth checking--

I'll check back later to see what's going on--
Old 08-25-2002, 02:00 PM   #65  
deleted2

Amarantha, interesting that you're in huntress mode, stalking what keeps you from your goals. I've been playing with the imagery of being a detective and deducing what keeps me from being my best self. [I like your imagery better!]
It's been enlightening. I see that I use my sometimes irritating co-workers as an excuse to stress-eat and it makes me feel awful. I mean, why should I give my power away to these people?! So I'm trying to get into a different mindset there. I'll let you know after our Monday meeting tomorrow! I want to be the calm eye of the storm--ooh, I like that image too.
Also, I see that I sometimes eat out of sheer boredom--no big surprise there. Trying to be more aware of that too. And not taking my workouts to the next level--that kind of thing. So there are reasons why I haven't hit my goal weight in 5 years! I've got to get back the old "fire in the belly"!

Kaylets, I think the 'make your own salad' idea is great! Why don't people want to eat well?! I've been looking at a copy of that book "Restaurant Confidential" with the nutritional counts from lots of popular restaurants and it is SCARY! I'll be more discriminating from now on--for sure!

Another thing that I used to be very faithful about is making a tentative plan for the upcoming week. Scheduling workouts, meals and such. Gotta do that today!

Old 08-25-2002, 04:13 PM   #66  
Empress/Queen

I think the make your own salad idea is neat, too! I do wish people I have to see during the week and/or eat with would think about some healthy choices we could share. Urgh! The state of popular restaurants IS scary. I think I am getting old, as I remember some cheap and healthy places one used to be able to eat lunch with coworkers in without inviting a heart attack. There used to be a "fast food" chicken restaurant chain in the midwest where the chicken specialty was cooked in a special dry machine thingie without added fat or calories of any kind (it was during a meat-eating period of mine, which I'm back in) and they cooked plain ol' potatoes that way also and they kind of resembled tasty fatless fries and there were veggies of all kinds, no fat, and bread, juices, skim milk and a condiment bar. I used to like to put tobasco sauce on the chicken and potato strips for some reason. This was a very popular chain and you could feel you were eating real food and the calorie count was posted and there was NO fat in anything ... or minimal anyway. It was always full but they eventually closed them all. Too bad, because it was a place where one could have a cheap fast food lunch with coworkers and stay within a health program. Now fast food restaurants that everyone I know goes to are so amazingly fat and calorie laden and the portions are enormous. The only place I really eat "out" on the road anymore is a grocery store where one can get a cooked chicken breast, ff cottage cheese and little Italian tomatoes and red pepper flakes and a bottle of water ... this is my new/old fav lunch when I'm starving and in some mountain town and there's a big grocery store.

Just rambling. But I agree the restaurants are SCARY! I wonder if they believe everyone really wants to eat all that fat stuff. I don't think they do. I think it's just a habit because it's there. And also, why would they not make more money selling SMALLER portions? It doesn't make sense to me. Many people can't resist eating everything that's put in front of them. It's something from childhood ... eat your dinner, Johnny! Portion sizes today would feed four back in the 1970s or whenever. These are not normal portion sizes for human beings (unless there are four humans sharing a plate).

Ok, I'll stop. I'm going to lie down and read a book.

Bye!
Old 08-25-2002, 05:32 PM   #67  
wsw

hello everyone! my 21 day challenge i'm working on now includes:
- making sure i exercise every day that i am able to. ( i have ms and some days my body legitimately won't cooperate; however, i have been known to skip exercise on days when i am able.)
-be more consistent with drinking a healthy amount of water and
-planning ahead for my meals more consistently.
ah-- there is a theme going on here--consistency (sp?). well, correct spelling or not-- i plan to be more consistent. thanks for listening.

i hope you all have had a good weekend. take care.

wsw
Old 08-25-2002, 07:07 PM   #68  

Smile Sunday night

Just checking back in--

DH made a wonderful fast chile with
1 bag Morningstar Crumbles
1 can black beans
1/2 jar 'safe' salsa ( no sugar added)
1 big can crushed tomatos
couple fresh tomatoes coarsely chopped
one or two green/red peppers
5 - 6 clove garlic
2 stalks celery
2 med onions

It made 4 generous servings- at 4 WW pts each-- we each had two servings although I admit I forced the last 4 or 5 spoonfuls

very satisfying-

yes, let share !! DH schedule is changing so we are going to be cooking ahead and freezing, and crockpot stuff- I need some ideas- I have thought about chopping ahead for stirfry and then keeping the veggies fresh in the fridge in water--

wsw- nice to have you aboard--!! Some of us can be a little silly sometimes but for the most part we're harmless.

OH, oh, oh, I almost forgot-- where is everybody! I heard the greatest song- and guess who it must have been written about!!
AND this is no joke, I heard this song and had to explain to DH why I was laughing - Are you ready--

" My Tractor is Sexy" --

:dancer

The song doesnt mention the tiara, but come on-- we all know who their singing about!!!

as for the "salad" - I'm not upset because there was more drinking than eating going on- I am sure someone is enjoying the leftovers today- even brought the Vidalia dressing that I KNOW they are going to love--I brought it so it would be there for me and dh and we were glad we werent forced into something we would regret later--you know how slippery that slope is once you
start-- a little taste of this, just a tiny spoonful of that, and there you go slipping into "out of control land" .

ok, its going to be Monday in the morning -- but it will only be 5 days to the weekend!!

And, Monday is new weighin day- lets hope its not a humid morning !! seems to add a pound or two- at least to me-- anyone else ever notice?

ok, Aramantha, I know its never humid in AZ, you don't even have to answer that one

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

:
Old 08-25-2002, 08:54 PM   #69  
Empress/Queen

Kaylets: That's a myth ... the monsoon season in Arizona is very humid indeed and the regular months are becoming more humid each year also (people come and plant lawns and water them). Actually, it's an old joke "but it's a dry heat!" Not.

If we are sharing quick meal ideas, then here is my now favorite carnivore type thing for a quick lunch or dinner (with a salad or corn) ... I make up a bunch of low cal low fat PORK BBQ sandwiches out of PRECOOKED bbq pork of a certain famous meat company ... I buy cheapo hamburger buns that are 110 calories each and zero fat and I divide the precooked bbq into 8 servings (9 servings are 90 calories each and the fat grams are very low). Then I just make the sandwiches and freeze and reheat in microwave ... comes to 215 calories, approx. 3 grams of fat. I like this because I still don't like handling raw meat (esp. pork) and this tastes like my mom used to make and fits my diet plan.

I ended my eating day at 1750 calories; did 50 minutes of exercise broken into two walks and a bit of Pilates ... I need to do more Pilates as it is the only thing that helps me ...
Old 08-26-2002, 11:18 AM   #70  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello Highnesses!

My challenge this week will to stay grounded... I do so much better when I keep my head above "happenings". This weekend nearly sent me spinning into a jar of peanut butter (had I had it in the house I would've).

Emp. Amarantha - I am extremely sorry about your "friend" (and I use that term loosely). Good for you for just trashing these emails! You don't need those kind of friends! ((hug))

Kaylets - They wrote a song about me?!?!?!?!?!? That's so coooool! Yea, my tractor IS sexy....

everyone! I should get some work done if I'm going to enjoy a quiet week!

Terri
Old 08-26-2002, 06:55 PM   #71  

Smile Monday pm

Monday was crazed again- The weekend tstorm knocked something out in the AC in the office and it was blowing hot air !!

Wasnt comfortable till almost 2 and then only in some spots-

BUT- I had put in 15 minutes on the bike early this am and managed to hang in there. Its almost become a joke about what will not be working in the office on Monday-

but-

Punkinseed --yes, I have been remiss in congratulating you on your tree trim gift!! and I think they are singing about you on the tractor- that's what is making the tractor sexy!!

Empress A- I agree-cooking ahead is the only way when time is tight-- makes a big difference-- and you feel so clever too!!

anyone here using Laughing Cow cheese? How does it melt ? I was thinking on vegetables- or maybe - a quasi grilled cheese sandwich...

got to figure out something that fits for work in the am--

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE
Old 08-27-2002, 01:53 PM   #72  
Is it Friday yet?

Kaylets! Why thank you!!! You made me blush....

I've never used Laughing Cow (cute name), I've been using good 'ol fashioned Tillamook (hey I'm in Oregon, I think it's a law here). Cheese is one of my "real food" foods that I just eat the real thing, but in moderation. The faux cheese can be scary - I mean, how come it doesn't melt???

I do the cook-ahead thing too. I'm looking forward to the weather cooling and doing a weekend of cooking for the year (literally). Last October I made, in one weekend; Wendy's chili, chicken soup, split pea soup and sweat & sour beans. I have a little chili left and 1 container of split pea. It's lasted all year. Great way of cooking ahead to have heathly foods on hand!

Peace, love and 's

Terri
Old 08-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #73  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Drive-by post ... about to take a nap and let my metabolism just deal with it!!! Thanks for hug, Punkin o' Friday ... I am refusing to react to my "friend" anymore and that's very restful.

Kaylets: Re Laughing Cow, don't know about the uses you've mentioned but I've had the spreadable little cubes in lowfat and they are very good on crackers. Mostly I just say no to cheese as I agree with the o' Friday, ff is best and the calories just aren't worth eating it, which is not to say that a slice of lf or nonfat cheese isn't ok in a recipe. I sometimes make my own muffin egg thing (sorry, Mickie D, but you are just too unhealthy for me and I might have to sue you if I ate your food). I take the eqv. of one egg in eggbeaters or other substitute (eggs are ok in my book, but in this it doesn't matter). I put the egg substitute in a little cup and gently microwave stirring every second or so until it's a little round omlet of scrambled eggs but not completely cooked. I put on an English muffin with a slice of ff American cheese (Kraft), sometimes adding bacon bits or chives, etc. I microwave for a sec and put the top slice of muffin on top and microwave another sec. Very filling and better than the clown's food!

WSW: Your plan looks like a winner! Love that word: consistency ... it'll see us through!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:01 PM   #74  

Smile WED Evening

Hello all!!

Tillamook is an Alaskan name?? Its amazing what I learn everyday. The Laughing Cow is very tasty, a blend of cheese, one for sure is Swiss. Its low fat rather than no fat so I will experiment and report back the results. I ate two wedges yesterday for a snack ( 1 pt each) and it was very satisfying.

I saw the sexy tractor video - I misheard the whole song !! Its really "She thinks I'm sexy on my tractor" - I guess I heard what I wanted to !! Much funnier my way!!

Hmm, sounds like either you have BIG pots for soup or you make batches one after another. With my luck, I'd scorch the bottom of a big pot-- which way do you find the easiest?

I'll try and check back later- I am hooked on Big Brother so I know I'll be awake!~

Empress A-- that's why we have delete keys.... its a good thing!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:34 PM   #75  
Empress/Queen

Yo!! I am tatting instead of working, just picked it up again after a lapse of about six months ... wish I hadn't given all my thread away. Excuse the OT, but my brain is fried!! Challenge going well as ended eating day for sure at 1700, 80 minutes of exercise ... a.m. Leslie weights, p.m. walk, walk, walk with poles. T-storm coming up and Old Dog is whining and looking around like it's a big bad thing coming to get her, but I need to get off the net!

Question, though, what is Big Brother? (other than an amorphous set of computer spies in the book 1984?).

Also, does Laughing Cow make a cheese other than the little spreadable wedge things? Like an eating cheese? I'd love that? Please report!!!are doing great!
Closed Thread