Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #16  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

AHAHAH... I don't know about imaginary... I could always use an extension cord...
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Any doctor who says you don't need to exercise should turn in his medical degree. Good GRIEF.

Yes, exercise is important. Skipping rope is good - and it can be very high intensity. You can also do some muscle building and body resistance training at home. Squats, lunges, pushups, situps, crunches, etc.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw23 View Post

You could do it with an imaginary rope! Guess that would just be jumping...
I love the picture of this! I know that the last time I lost weight(84 pounds before baby #3), I did it without exercise. Mostly because everytime I would start to exercise on a regular basis, my weight loss would stall and I didn't have the patience to not see the scale move after working so hard. The bad thing about that was that I always felt better when I would exercise. Sooooo, this time I am exercising 3X a week and eating healthy but making myself have patience and not give up when I see the same numbers. I know that I feel better.
Michellelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #19  

Height: 5'9"

Ace,
Hamilton.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #20  
Mentally ready

thanks for the advice people and hamilton:P nice
Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #21  

Quote:
and hamilton :P nice

Yeah not really lol. If you consider prostitutes, steel factories, and crack "nice", then Hamilton's the place for you!
haha

Last edited by luvja; 11-11-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #22  
Mentally ready

I lived in Vancouver for a while, I guess it's kinda like that but smaller.... I didn't know hamilton was like that.... and Now I do.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #23  
Mentally ready

He said that eating properly was the only thing that was going to help, he said exercise will only help you keep at the same weight. And I said "but it burns calories when you exercise" and he said yeh but you would have to run 10km to lose any weight doing it.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #24  

Yeah Hamilton is called the "Armpit" of Ontario!.

But yeah, you really should exercise. Even if it's just going for a few short walks during the week. Just to get your heart rate up, and tone your body. Walking is the best exercise. Your Doctor is wrong.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #25  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Unbelievable. Just look at biggest loser. Sure you can lose weight without exercise but it is much harder and slower. Exercise will help keep your metabolism high, it will give you more energy, and it will make you look better. Who wants to be skinny fat? If you exercise your inches will drop faster than your weight- you will be toned. I can't say enough about exercise.
As far as being lazy- aren't we all when our weight is high. Exercise is no fun when you are heavy. I did diet alone for the first month, just to get started and not put too much pressure on myself. Also my initial weightloss was strong, so I wanted to save the exercise for when I needed an extra boost for my loss. I started at home with DVD's ie turbojam, the firm. Then I started riding my bike- what a sense of accomplishment. After 3.5- 4 months I joined the Y and started working out on different equipment and doing more weighttraining to develop strong muscle tone. Now what I will say is that if you exercise and don't diet you probably won't lose because you will still be intaking more than you are burning off.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Exercise alone won't help you lose weight... you do have to eat the right way to lose. But movement is always a good thing because it helps get your muscles in shape, and healthy muscles like to burn fat. What your doctor says is partly true--exercise does not burn that many calories. But it does make your body more able to burn calories throughout the day (and maybe even at night).

Have you found the 300+ Forum?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

You can get some tips there about starting out--also, check with the Exercise forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I don't know much about you, but I wouldn't start right out jumping rope at your current weight. It is awfully hard on the knees and feet because of the impact. Check around--here's a link to a site that has some information about exercise for obese people:

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightl...exercise_2.htm

Good luck! Don't let your doctor discourage you!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

His comment is just odd. Of course, it sounds like what he was trying to say, since he commented on changing eating habits, is that if you didn't alter your eating habits too, exercise would not be enough. I mean, if you kept eating piles of junk and did, say, thirty minutes of moderate cardio a few times a week, those 200 calories here or there probably wouldn't make much of an impact. However, if you are eating a restricted diet, those 200 calories add up. Also, it sounds like he didn't even mention the fact that if you do resistance training and build up your muscle mass, you will burn more calories ALL THE TIME...even sleeping. Idjit doctor...
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #28  
Mentally ready

well, I just ordered Biggest loser cardio max because somebody on this forum told me it helped them... so YAY. and I'm going to be getting a skipping rope. I was thinking about joining a gym but I'm not ready to go to one to watch all the barbie *****es compete for the guys attention while my tits are slapping me in the face when I jog.. NOT FOR ME THANKS.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 250+/200?/160

Height: 5'8"

Exercise makes a huge difference. Next time you see the Dr., ask him WHY he thinks exercise won’t make a difference, especially since every Dr. and health agency gives daily recommendations on how much exercise we should get every day to maintain health. Exercise is a necessity to be healthy. Maybe this Dr. is not sympathetic to heavier people? Maybe you could call around and see if any of the other doctors that are not presently taking new patients can fit you in sometime in the future.

To me the best reason to exercise is to have the calories to eat more food! If I want to eat a decent amount (1600 calories for me and one day off when I eat a little more) I have to put in the time on my elliptical machine 6 days a week, and take a walk outside 2-3 days a week.

Start slow and work your way up!
Annie Pele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #30  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I know you can lose weight without exercise because I know people that have.

I think you will lose quicker with exercise too....works for me!

However, I think the key to exercise is this.....

When I exercise I feel better ~ I see other people doing it....like 5K's and gym work. I think exercise helps you to focus on something good each day that you are doing for yourself instead of the I CAN'T have this goodie or that goodie.

Being outside on a nice day sure can put a hop in your step....beats watching Judge Judy....it does....yes it does!

So then why aren't you all in my 5K?...go here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154952
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote