Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #31  
FB

While I think exercise is very important I do believe that losing weight is 80-90% diet. Don't get me wrong, I exercise a ton of hours every month - but I credit diet with getting me to where I'm at with weight loss. For the physique I'm building I credit 100% to exercise.

Quote:
I was thinking about joining a gym but I'm not ready to go to one to watch all the barbie *****es compete for the guys attention while my tits are slapping me in the face when I jog.. NOT FOR ME THANKS
Noooo... that's not what any gym I've ever been to is about. I shared the same idea initially, before I stepped foot in a gym. In the last 6 months I've visited dozens of gyms and I've never seen it like that. I'm usually busy concentrating on myself, my time there - my workout, so I won't say there's nobody there like that, but I'm too busy and wrapped up in my own self to notice.

A gym can be great motivation for some to go get their exercise in, don't let your ideas of how other people behave stop you from going if you're interested!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #32  

My doctor explained as diet for short term weight loss, exercise is for long term weight loss. Those muscles you build require more calories for up keep than fat does. So you are building a fat burning factory when you exercise
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

About 10 years ago, I lost weight (I can't remember how much, but not so very much, maybe 15 pounds?) down to 130, and all I did was weight training. I did try to eat better in general, but that was a *very* general effort. I didn't restrict or count calories at all. So I disagree that you can't lose weight just with exercise. However, I don't think that would have worked this time around. I think that is for several reasons - I'm older (big reason!) - I was much heavier this time - and this time I had many years of eating very, very badly. My body was just much farther out of whack this time.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Exercise is definitely a very, very vital piece of the weight loss equation. Not sure why the doc would say other wise. Don't know where I'd be without it, don't want to know either. But I do know this, I could be exercising 24/7 and if if I weren't carefully monitoring my caloric intake, the exercise would be pointless. Pointless. "They" say that weight loss is 80% diet/20% exercise. Could that be what the *ahem* good doctor was trying to get at?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 170/167/150

Height: 5'6"

For me, the controlled eating makes more of a difference than exercise. But exercise is good at preventing seems like every health problem. Everytime I read about a disease or condition, the article seems to point out that exercise can help prevent or lessen the condition.

My friend went to a doctor and heard the opposite advice. He said to exercise on the days that you eat implying that you eat every day so you should exercise every day.
cmonamonamona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 265/230/175

Height: 5'6"

Excercise is just as important as eating healthy! I swear nothing feels better then getting out the ipod and going for a jog ( but not in this winnipeg weather YIKES!!!) and also going to gym with ipod and walking fast on that... uhhh whats it called... the tread climber? I LOVE that thing its SO good and burns like 2-3x more then being on treadmill alone. I also love to bike and thats easy too even if youre a bit heavier. I have heard from multiple people doctor and trainer alike that the best thing to do if you are a bit heavier and want to lose weight is alot of cardio. Good thing to get that heart in shape!!!
Satisfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #37  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

From my own personal experience, I lose a lot more when I exercise. Plus, I feel better (I'm not as tired), I have more endurance, and I'm starting to see muscle tone.

I don't work out more than an hour or an hour and fifteen, usually, either; so I don't think you have to work out for 2 hours a day to see results.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #38  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Ace View Post
He said that eating properly was the only thing that was going to help, he said exercise will only help you keep at the same weight. And I said "but it burns calories when you exercise" and he said yeh but you would have to run 10km to lose any weight doing it.
I think he was being a jerk. I also think he was trying to make the point that it is primarily important to address one's intake.

Without a doubt, exercise is critical. That said, I read somewhere around here (I think, maintainers forum) that weight loss/maintenance is 85% diet.

work it chick!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I've tried to lose weight on cutting calories without exercising and it didn't work for me. I lose much more when I exercise. I exercise for 30 minutes, five days a week and it makes such a difference. It makes me feel so much better. I have a treadmill so I do that. I go as fast as I can on it so that I'm sweating pretty good by the time I get off. I've done aerobic videos in the past and those work great too.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #40  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Ace View Post
Thanks guys, If I had the choice I would change doctors but he's my new doctor because I didn't have one and he was the only one available for new patients.

Hi Beautiful, I just moved to Ottawa and was wondering where you found a doctor. I live in Orleans and have an interview with a Doc today. I didnt like him on my first "meeting" with him, I hope he's better this time.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #41  

Height: 5'5"

If it doesn't help then why can Michael Phelps eat 12,000 calories a day or whatever they said he did?
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #42  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Ok. as a person whose lost more than 100 pounds I can tell you exercise makes a huge difference.

but in my experience.. the calories burned from exercise are not what make the huge difference - it's the feeling and focus exercise gives me. I plan exercise into my day and it helps me deal with stress in a healthy way. Diet is really the key to successful weight loss.. but exercise is a big part of maintaining a food plan, in my experience anyways. I would just eat my feelings without it!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #43  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired by you View Post
Hi Beautiful, I just moved to Ottawa and was wondering where you found a doctor. I live in Orleans and have an interview with a Doc today. I didnt like him on my first "meeting" with him, I hope he's better this time.
My doctor is beside the movie theater in orleans, well more like across the parking lot and to the right if you facing the parking lot from the street. Right beside the asian grocery store.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #44  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Thanks for all the advice everyone I have a dvd called biggest loser cardio max coming in the mail so I can't wait to start
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #45  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Mine is in the Superstore on Innes. His name is Dr Lapointe. There was also a new female doc too but she was booked up a lot farther than the guy and I'm not picky so really didnt matter to me. But if you find you are too unhappy you might wanna give them a call...I just went and had my physical with dr. Lapointe today and he was really nice. I would have to say my first impression of him was not a good one. He runs a tight ship and is very strict about being on time. He said he will not make you wait but more than that he will not wait on you. If your late he wont see you. But I can live with that, and he was really nice today...He did offer me diet pills when I told him I was working out and eating better. I told him no thanks, I wanna do it my way. He said my way was better but just wanted me to know there were other options if I felt I needed the help. Anyway. I think I rambled enough. good luck with your Doc. Hope it was just one bad visit.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote