Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #16  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hmmm, bananas...now I know why I'm not losing, lol!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #17  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
Hmmm, bananas...now I know why I'm not losing, lol!

Yup - that's GOTTA BE my problem! stupid potassium!!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #18  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I was recently told to collect my first pee in the morning and to drink it. The pee will take out the toxins in my body and the fat along with it.

I promptly asked how would drinking the toxins my body had already discarded help me in any way. The amount of quack theories on weight loss here are incredible.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #19  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Oh my g... the pee theory. That is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read. I can't even fathom HOW that is supposed to work. Yeah, it will probably take the toxins out by making you THROW UP.

As for bananas, actually I eat one almost every morning. oatmeal cooked with soy milk with a few almonds, cut banana and plenty of cinnamon in it. This thin keeps me filled and at ease for, like, five hours in a row (and yes, I'm losing weight). Of course bananas can be 'dangerous'--if one eats 10 every day! Like so many other foods. Oh well.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

As soon as you tell people that you are on a diet the Diet Police appear. I just don't tell people I am dieting, saves a lot of annoying comments.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
As soon as you tell people that you are on a diet the Diet Police appear. I just don't tell people I am dieting, saves a lot of annoying comments.
I agree. I didn't tell most of the people at work (after the banana incident) and the funny part is they are just now noticing. Lol. Now I get lots of questions because everyone wants to know my secrets. Of course when I tell them (calorie counting, walking, etc.) they seem sad that it's not an easy quick fix.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

I was told that I shouldn't eat carrots because they are too high in sugar and would turn me orange, and that baby carrots are especially bad because they are soaked in sugar. Wrong, wrong (unless you eat pounds a day) and wrong.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jay, totally orange
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #24  
hara hachi bu

Wow, yeah, people have some nutso ideas.

I usually tell people the same thing - "Yeah, funny, what worked for me is moving more and eating less!" People do seem disappointed that you can't credit some new trend diet.

On a related note, my sister started getting migraines a few years back. I found an article that said how helpful exercise is to migraines, and asked her if she'd tried that. She looked at me incredulously and said, "Yes, I've researched that and plenty of other options to relieve migraines." It was a bit of a DUH moment for me (obviously if you're stricken with something, you're going to research as many options as possible).
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #25  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I know what you mean about people meaning well but not helping! Last year when I was losing weight I had a roommate who was also losing, and she totally turned into the food police! When my boyfriend brought home pizza I would have a slice....A slice! I'm not going to totally deny myself because I know that leads to disaster and she would make some comment about the pizza like "I thought you were trying to lose weight?" or "I haven't eaten pizza in a month and I've lost 6 pounds!" Or she would start asking me all the time what I'd eaten that day. Maybe she was trying to be helpful but it seemed like it totally turned into a competition and she was constantly trying to tell me what to eat or make me feel bad when she knew I didn't exercise that day.

I'm glad we're not roommates anymore!!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #26  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
I was recently told to collect my first pee in the morning and to drink it. The pee will take out the toxins in my body and the fat along with it.

I promptly asked how would drinking the toxins my body had already discarded help me in any way. The amount of quack theories on weight loss here are incredible.
Archy--that made me snort!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #27  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Our family is pretty non-mainstream. A lot of our extended family felt the need to comment on our parenting. The quickest way to shut people up is to say, "That's a great idea, but our physician is advising us on that." Most people won't go up against a doctor's 'advice', even a fake doctor that you have to make up for such an occasion!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
Our problem isnt KNOWING what to do, its DOING IT.
Unfortunately, this is so true! Everyone knows how to lose weight, but sometimes we just can't do it. We try, and we're motivated, and we're determined, but it just doesn't work out somehow until that one magic time when it does and we get real results. All these people with their great advice may not understand the underlying reasons for why we feel compelled to overeat in the first place, or anything related to our relationships with food, so just saying "eat less" is totally useless.
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #29  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara View Post
I get what you mean too, but some people are trying to help but they don't know squat! like this friend of mine who's always been skinny (like size 2 skinny!) for her whole life, when im eating my carefully calculated 200cal sandwhich for lunch she glares at me because "i shouldn't be eating stuff like that on a diet" wtf does she know anyway! its just a slice of bloody cheese! (sorry starting to rant oops!)
haha...yes, it's funny...you tell people you are on a "healthy lifestyle plan" and they suddenly are experts. It's hard work calculating meals, it sounds like you do a good job of it...a slice of cheese won't kill a diet!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #30  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
People telling us how to diet are hilarious though. Your post made me chuckle, remembering a doctor visit i had a few years ago. I was fussing about my weight and my doctor actually said, "Well you know you need to eat less and excercise and you can loose that weight". I remember shaking my head at him and thinking, "uh yeah, YA THINK!?!?!?"

Our problem isnt KNOWING what to do, its DOING IT. But why do people not get this. Its not like people tell alcoholics, "you know if you would quit drinking, you wouldnt have a drinking problem"... lol lol lol lol lol.
That is funny about your doctor's visit...I can totally see that happening to me. Luckily, I haven't had any doctors say anything about my weight...maybe that is a slip on their part. They've tested my cholesterol and all that though. I guess there was one time when I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and diverticulum. The doctor said that if I lose some weight, it would help those conditions. She also told me about this weightloss program that they had at the clinic, but she did this in a non-condescending way.

Thanks for the laugh.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote