Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #46  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolva77 View Post
Well If you think about it, if you dont restrict anything, you dont want those things that much after all
To a point, yes. But I guess it depends on the person. Some people (like Jay and Robin in this thread) know their "danger zones" (like they know if they bring a half gallon of ice cream into the house, they won't be happy with just 1/2 cup serving, they'll sit down and eat the whole thing) so it's important to know YOUR danger zones. If you don't trust yourself to not eat a whole bag of potato chips instead of being satisfied with a small handful, you're probably better off not buying them at all.

My danger food is donuts. I freaking LOVE donuts. And I know if I buy them and bring them into my house, I'll eat them until they're gone. So I just don't buy them.

But there are certain foods that if I DENY myself them completely, I'll crave them constantly. I always want what I know I'm not supposed to have. If it's not in my house, I'll go nuts thinking about it. But if I've got it available and I know it's there if and when I want it, the craving will sometimes go away.

For example, when I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes. I wasn't "allowed" to eat candy or sweet treats. And because I wasn't allowed to eat them, I wanted them ALL THE TIME. But now that I no longer have gestational diabetes and I can eat those things again, I don't really want them anymore.

The human mind is a strange beast, LOL.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #47  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
You know, the actual WORD..... "diet" ... doesn't mean "a way to eat so you can lose weight". The TRUE definition of "diet" is the food and drink habitually consumed by a person...
Well, we're talking in terms of one of those 'faddy' type things, LOL.

Quote:
Personally, I don't care what we call it... I just know that I need to see LESS POUNDAGE on the scale, LESS INCHES on the measuring tape, and LESS worry about the whole thing!
Amen!

It's so much easier on your emotional being not to obsess over the whole thing. And I'll admit, I used to be obsessive. Weighing myself every day (sometimes several times a day which is totally pointless) focusing only on the scale and not much else, focusing on those numbers. Those blasted numbers. This was more towards the beginning of my lifestyle change. Then I told myself, "honey, you gotta relax, you're going to drive yourself insane. This is a lifetime commitment and you don't want to be this way forever."

So I stopped weighing myself so much and started focusing on other things besides the stupid scale. Yes, I still weigh myself, about once or twice a month, just to make sure I'm not putting any weight back on. But that's all that scale is now, is an occasional tool to keep me accountable; not something I base my life on.

If we all go out to eat or get together for a holiday or end up at a BBQ, I eat and I enjoy myself without obsessing over the calories. But thankfully these things happen rarely. Then of course there's my Sunday dinner. Since the beginning of my weight loss journey, I have ONE MEAL a week where I eat what I want and as much as I want and then pick up the next day and move on. That one meal a week has kept me sane.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I think maybe we need to distinguish between "restricting" and "eliminating." Obviously I "restrict" things like cheesecake, because if I didn't, there's no way I'd have lost all this weight no matter how many miles I ran. But I don't "eliminate" anything, because I don't find it realistic and I think there's nothing wrong with occasionally enjoying food that isn't the healthiest thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy healthy food too -- I love most fruits and vegetables and much of my diet comes from them. We always seem to believe it has to be all or nothing, though -- like you have to go COMPLETELY to healthy foods and leave all the "bad" foods behind forever. Some of us are just saying that we've been able to find a different way. Clearly we have to restrict those foods, as we have to restrict ALL foods when counting calories. And when you count calories, you want more bang for your caloric buck so you go for the high-volume low-calorie stuff Robin was talking about in her post. If you find that you can't control yourself around the "bad" foods, then yes, elimination may be necessary. If you're committed, though, you may find that you can show more restraint than you ever thought you could.

But to answer your question, carol, that's how I've done it so far: counting calories (though I use Weight Watchers points because it's just what I'm used to and I like the fact that it takes fat and fiber into consideration for me). I also did it through exercise -- tons of cardio, starting with walking, progressing to MORE walking and cardio machines, and now mostly running.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #49  

I love to exercise!!! If it were for me I would do it 2 hours every day but my hormons got crazy when I did that.
But as I said before ... doing Atkins I had no stamina to do it, because ketosis kept me from sleeping and no sleeping made me tired.
Now, I feel like adding GOOD carbs, such as whole grains and fruit, even nuts, would be better for me....
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #50  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
You know, the actual WORD..... "diet" ... doesn't mean "a way to eat so you can lose weight". The TRUE definition of "diet" is the food and drink habitually consumed by a person...

It's just that... people who have gone on "diets" always seem to associate the word "diet" with losing weight. So we look at the definition as a planned or prescribed selection of food and drink, especially one designed for weight loss
I think we all would agree that "Diet" has become an english idiom. I will refer to my diet meaning basically what I eat and drink but it does confuse people sometimes. Of course, to "go on a diet" does mean something entirely different as if there is a point in which you will revert back to eating whatever you ate before.

I also agree to the point about the difference between eliminating foods and restricting them. The only foods I've really eliminated from my diet are fried foods. I have gall bladder issues and I rather not endure the pain There are foods I restrict (eat once a week) and then there are foods that I heavily restrict (eat once a month). Mostly because there are foods that are hard to fit into my daily lives and also may induce cravings. So I may buy an ice cream cup once in a while but I'm certainly not buying ice cream to have at home whenever I feel like it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #51  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I think maybe we need to distinguish between "restricting" and "eliminating." Obviously I "restrict" things like cheesecake, because if I didn't, there's no way I'd have lost all this weight no matter how many miles I ran. But I don't "eliminate" anything, because I don't find it realistic and I think there's nothing wrong with occasionally enjoying food that isn't the healthiest thing in the world.
Ahh, yes, very good point and observation

Because, like most of you, I "restrict" certain foods but I don't "eliminate" anything.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #52  

I restrict a lot of foods, but I dont think I can do that forever, but it is unrealistic to believe that eating junk food every day will make you fit and healthy
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #53  

hi i am new at this i just need a friend to give me a hand every now and then
misty dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #54  
LLV

Quote:
I restrict a lot of foods, but I dont think I can do that forever, but it is unrealistic to believe that eating junk food every day will make you fit and healthy
Well, no, none of us believe that. Or at least I don't. I don't eat junk every day. I'll reiterate, I eat it OCCASIONALLY. I'm not giving up the foods I love and I haven't. Again, I just eat them in extreme moderation.

As I've always said, moderation is the key. And YOU are the moderator.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #55  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty dawn View Post
hi i am new at this i just need a friend to give me a hand every now and then
Welcome to 3FC

Lots of good people here and lots of good information.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #56  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

In the very, very beginning of my journey I simply had to say hands off of ALL junk. Or should I say teeth off. Not only junk but pasta, rice, bread and all the carby stuff as well. I was not good at setting limits. I felt to start off I needed to set some STRICT rules. I had in my head that EVENTUALLY I would go by the way of everything in moderation. And like LLV said - EXTREME moderation at that. This is what worked for me. BUT, I didn't look at it as DEPRIVING myself. I was EXCITED that for the first time I was on my way to a healthier, fitter and more active life. I didn't (and still don't) look at it as what I am losing out on. I look at is as what I am GAINING - that fitter, healthier and happier ME, with much more joy and waaay less worries. Every bite of that stuff that doesn't go down my throat is a victory for me. And I DON'T feel deprived - not even a little bit. The rewards outweigh the sacrifices - by a WHOLE LOT in fact.

I simply want to add that I love, just love the fact how well LLV and Lisamarie know me. That's all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I think maybe we need to distinguish between "restricting" and "eliminating." Obviously I "restrict" things like cheesecake, because if I didn't, there's no way I'd have lost all this weight no matter how many miles I ran. But I don't "eliminate" anything, because I don't find it realistic and I think there's nothing wrong with occasionally enjoying food that isn't the healthiest thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy healthy food too -- I love most fruits and vegetables and much of my diet comes from them. We always seem to believe it has to be all or nothing, though -- like you have to go COMPLETELY to healthy foods and leave all the "bad" foods behind forever. Some of us are just saying that we've been able to find a different way. Clearly we have to restrict those foods, as we have to restrict ALL foods when counting calories. And when you count calories, you want more bang for your caloric buck so you go for the high-volume low-calorie stuff Robin was talking about in her post. If you find that you can't control yourself around the "bad" foods, then yes, elimination may be necessary. If you're committed, though, you may find that you can show more restraint than you ever thought you could.
Good point Lisa!
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #58  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
It does really depend on how much your tastes change. Things that I thought used to taste good, now taste too sweet, taste too greasy or taste too chemically so I don't eat them. They aren't what I want to eat though. If there is something that you really want to eat, then if you plan for it, I see no reason for it not to be part of your eating plan.

For me, there are certain things that I used to eat that I have no problem if I never eat again. It is mostly because my tastes have changed and so have my interests.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #59  

honestly is like this : if I know I can have a little piede let say chocolate (even the sf one) I can live with a piece every now and and then, if i think i cant i crave it
Old 04-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #60  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey misty dawn,

We'll be glad to give you a hand!

I know what you mean, carolva77. Nothing like "no" to make one want to go for it. The hard part is learning how to say no to yourself, not because it is punishment but because it is a choice and it is the best choice at the time.

And I try to phrase it to myself as "not today" because "never" is too long and too impossible. But "not today" or "not right now" works.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote