Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #76  

Hey all. Not the weigh-in I was hoping for, but no increase. July 1 is looming, and only 4.8 lbs to lose by then. Maybe not? I did actually weigh in at 191.3 on Thursday, but it was the morning after the night before, and the only good part of a hangover is the lost water weight... By Friday I was back to normal and full of again.

My planning worked fairly well. A couple of walks, and a short run (!). Not so good on the eating... I can control the appetite, but so far not the useless nibbling. Maybe next week?

My top 10:
1. Alcohol = useless calories.
2. Enticing new food products will still be available when I'm thin.
3. ANY exercise is better than none.
4. GET OUT OF BED!!!
5. Avoid processed/fast foods.
6. GO TO BED!!
7. Eat breakfast.
8. Plan meals and exercise ahead of time.
9. Stay hydrated.
10. Just do it!!!!

Now I don't claim to be following any of that Top Ten, but if I did... I think for this week I'll try to do them all!! Which of course would require lots of planning. I'm a little too good at being consistent - consistently underexercising, overindulging, undersleeping...

Mscat, looking forward to seeing which of our tips make the final cut. It sounds like you're really striving for sanity! And by the way - beer is one of the few vices I DON'T have. Wish I could say the same about wine! Or chocolate!

Sushi, when I hike I take a full two-litre camelback-like water bladder to stay hydrated. Maybe you should try that? Unless you drink less water because of the lack of places to pee while hiking...

Red, so sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope it doesn't keep you away from us too long! I have a feeling you'd be pretty good at top ten tips. I loved the *** study!

Bonnie, where are you? Still basking in the Hurricanes' victory?

Trying, did you maintain that focus as planned? (I should have made that one of my tips...)

Chic-chick, you need to look after yourself! Exercise and pneumonia don't mix - better to rest now than to be sick for much longer. (Just ask Mscat...)
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #77  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Oh yes, I forgot about the list... I have some things, but not too sure whether they'll make ten points, so I'll think about it some more.

Carla, yes, that's exactly why. And also the long drives there and back - while most picnic grounds have some facilities, that can't be said about the long backroads, where even petro stations are sparse (and if they have toilets, they're even yuckier than at picnic or camping grounds...).

Solid 61 kgs on the scale, which is 135.555555556 lbs. I've been weighin in every day for the past two weeks, but I won't anymore, I think.

Come on, where is everyone else?
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #78  
dgpebbles

hello ladies

Sorry I've been missing for a while but I've been on vacation and and been out of town for a week...I had a really bad week of eating..I didn't stick to diet at all..its hard to eat good when your staying in a hotel and at places like seaworld and the zoo etc...anyway weigh in this week shows I'm up 10lbs but I think alot is also water so I'm going to wait till next week to officially weigh-in

this week I'm going to focus on getting in my water and getting back on track with the eating...

I have alot of catching up to do
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #79  
My reward...

S/C/G: 272/270/220

Height: 6'3"

Just a quick note - we're one of those unlucky ones dealing with floods and raw sewage due to the torrential rains in the DC-VA-MD area. Not a total loss like some neighbors, but it's not pretty. Once I replace my scale, I'll weigh again. Once the gym is dried out, I'll excercise again. My goals for this week is to stay dry, stay healthy despite the rot in my house and get back on track when my life is normal again.
TryinAgain5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 PM   #80  

Default Quickie Evening Post

Hey Lassies! Its almost 11 pm and I am exhausted - just got home a few minutes ago.

Tryin' - so glad you are physically ok. Sending : to you as you dry out.

Donna - I gained 10 on my vacation too despite all the walking daily around Disney. Don't fret - I lost it within two weeks when I returned to my routine.

carla - I love your top 10!

Sushi - on the 5 out of 7!

I bought a 1/2 gallon bottle and oh my - it was harder to get that down than I imagined. I got half down and I am going to work on more before bed (I guess I will be up half the night ) No exercise today but tomorrow I have a stress cardiolite test so I will get my treadmill workout in!

This week's goals are to get in 48 oz of water, eat 3 meals a day (I am going to master that before I push for 5!), and exercise 3 times this week for 20 minutes minimum. My action word is POWER.

Have a great week

mscat
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #81  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi all! Yeah, I'm back in the running, but don't have much time to be posting. I'm finding the weekly challenge is a bit too much work, thinking week for week. I like to just keep it simple and go for the long run. With the 21-dayer I have my hands pretty full anyhow. But, that doesn't mean I'm goofing off. In fact, the busier I am with working out and eating right (which means preparation and carrying stuff around with me!) the less time I have to come in here and talk about it. Morning here and I'm aiming to get out and to the gym earlier than usual so I have more time to jog and do weight training. I have decided to cut out all sugar and processed foods again and pull out the juicer to make my own vegetable juice like I used to. I am sick of the laziness I've been demonstrating. It's really not me. Too much sugar, too much caffeine, too much sludge in my face. No more! Well, gotta run. I'll try and post when I can. Good luck all!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #82  
dgpebbles

tryin- sorry to hear about your water problems...My house flooded about 6 years ago too...its not fun at all...I'm praying for you..

mscat / bonnie-thanks for the kind words...I hope the weight comes back off fast..I really didn't think I ate that bad..not enough to gain 10lbs..

Bonnie-great job with the 5 days done..keep it up..

yesterday and today went good with the eating but still woking on getting in all my water...I don't know how well exercise will go this week..I have to work 6 days this week and I've already work 21 hours in two days....this is going to be a tough week...
Old 06-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #83  

Default It's Hump Day!

Ok Ladies - I am only scratching the surface with my weight loss goals this week - have stayed op all three days so far, only exercised yesterday with that fun stress test - AAAAUG! I was going to go home and workout when my daughter reminded me of the fireworks this evening. Detroit and most of the surrounding areas do fireworks before the 4th! I am committed to going home afterwards and getting on the stairclimber with a good book.

I have been learning to look at myself - REALLY LOOK AT MYSELF in the mirror this week. It's tough but it is a part of choosing myself as I am so that I can powerfully choose to do the things I need to do to alter my body. If you are like me, I avoid looking at my reflections which perpetuates a distorted image of what's so to "it's not that bad." And it is not "bad." There is just a lot of room for "it could be better."

Hi Red thanks for stopping in whenever you can. I know what it is like to maintain two or more threads at once. We appreciate your words of encourage and presence anytime.

Bonnie - it's good to see you again Congrats on this week's progress and hang in there. We are here for you too whenever you drop in.

Anyone else have anymore tips to consider for our top 10 lists?

mscat
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #84  
Friend to Little Doggies

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi,

My week has just been shot to heck but I thought I'd better at least post. Still dealing with pneumonia, the new job, and moving this weekend. Closing on the new house is after work Thursday....

On the bright side, I got my high-end, super dooper new pedometer in the mail and have it all calibrated and ready to go tomorrow. The new hospital is really spread out and they have a great Wellness Program for the employees where you get a bonus check once a year for participating in the programs. One of the choices is to wear a pedometer--cool! .

Will weigh in tomorrow and see where I'm at. Stay dry, y'all
Diana
ChicCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #85  
dgpebbles

morning

well I'm back on track eating with 3 days complete...also I'm getting in my water... ..I made it to the gym yesterday for weights but no cardio this week yet..I weighted today to see where I'm at and I'm down 4lbs since monday so now I only have 6 more to go to get back where I was before vacation...On Mondays official weigh-in i will correct my ticker to whatever I'm at but this week I know I have alost of fluid I'm loosing back..

chick-sorry to hear your having such a bad week...things will get better soon..just hang in there

mscat-How was the fireworks?...I can wait till the 4th...Did you manage to get on the stairclimber?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #86  

Diana, is your new pedometer the one that you can put in your pocket - works even if it isn't right side up? I love gadgets and really want one of those...

Bonnie, this morning's weigh-in at 192.4... if I abstain from all food and drink for the next two days I'll hit my July 1 target. Then again, I can always pretend I'm American and aim for the 4th instead of Canada Day. Seriously, though, it's GREAT to see you back on track and committed again. You'll probably see some very quick results since you've been "on hiatus" for a while. BBB's rock!

My big change this week is that I've started running again after such a long absence. To my great surprise my feet seem to be okay, so maybe these darned orthotics worked after all! I'm doing a kind of couch to 5k program, and went out three times this week. I alternate 1 min walk/2 min run, and cover between 2 and 3 km. I could do without the heat and humidity, but at least I'm out there again! The morning after my first little run had me feeling my age - I was limping along, very reluctant to do anything except sit still. Even my abs were sore, don't know how that happened. It's amazing that legs that are fit enough for intense spinning classes turn to jello after just a short run. I had wanted to do a lot of biking this summer, but with the tendinitis in my wrist it's not a good idea. (Always some excuse...) If the physio ($$$$ - and not covered by our heath system OR my sad little private insurance) doesn't work soon, I'll stop babying it and just get out there.

I hate to admit it (grumble grumble) but the exercise has lifted my mood. Who knew?

Cat, don't let that realistic self-image get you down! It's good to stop pretending and avoiding reality, but don't bring yourself down.

Red, take care. I'm trying to stay off sugar and booze...

Gotta go. Just saw the time and have to get back to work.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #87  
Never give up

Smile Breakthrough!!

Just wanted to announce I have broken below 72 kg, the first time this year I think!!! 71.8. Hurrah! Now, to get beneath 70, which I haven't seen for about 2 years, I think. I'm psyched!! A lot of it is bloat because I've been off sugar for three days now and that allows firms you up, but still, I'll take it!! I feel great. I've been eating brown rice, vegetables and fruit and am going to buy a not-cheap juicer from the States! I was reading things by the old health guru Jack Lalanne and found them inspiring!!

Now, this is where it can get hairy, when things are going well and I let down my guard or ease off on the gung-ho determination. Gotta keep it up!

carla, you are doing great! Congratulations on your weight loss!

Old 06-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #88  

Way to go Red!! I always knew you could do it. You'll notice, of course, that it didn't happen until you joined us BBB's here at Stop the Insanity!

Bonnie, I'm really not counting cals right now. Just trying to avoid excess of all kinds (except fresh berries ) and almost all choc and sugar... Not that I follow those rules all the time. But I've usually managed to lose quite nicely on about 1500 a day. I was on a 1200 diet for a while, and it worked really well, but I just don't want to be that obsessive about food. So I'm trying to learn to just make good choices without constant checking and re-checking. Also, at 1200 cal I find exercise is really tough. I don't really think exercise can make me lose that much, but I do want to be fitter. (It's discourging to think that my runs burn maybe 200 cal if I'm lucky - less than most chocolate bars.) At least while I'm running I'm not eating, and exercise does seem to reduce appetite in the short term. Add to that the feel-good effect of activity, which makes it easier to make good choices.

I've always known the secret to weight loss and maintenance: eat smallish well-balanced meals with plenty of roughage; avoid sweets, greasy foods, simple carbs and alcohol; don't eat when I'm not hungry; be active. I like to drink lots of fluids, not to lose weight (sorry, doesn't work, never has) but to help move things thru the digestive system. I try not to eat too much at night because it seems to turn into mindless snacking. Getting up at a reasonable time makes it easier to fit in a good breakfast and some exercise. My most effective (and most horrific) diet was the 22lbs I lost in the month after my husband's unexpected defection to a much younger "woman". Followed, unfortunately, by a gain of 50 lbs over the next two years...

So there you have it, the fat woman's guide to weight-loss. I have tried "magical" diets from time to time ("cranberry juice will make you thin!" cabbage soup! grapefruit! ). In fact, I have a whole shelf full of no-fail diet books that failed. And I know the only thing that works is to suck it up, stop making excuses, and take in fewer calories than I burn. Only time will tell whether I love myself enough to stick with it this time!

Sorry to be so long-winded and preachy.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #89  
Never give up

Yo, carla! Yeah, maybe joining here did it, but wouldn't that mean I would actually have to take part, not just pop in with a "sorry I can't post" occasionally! My stomach is growling right now just into work, after the 50-min. walk to the gym and a 5K jog and the 10 sets of 20 rep. crunches. I'm not looking for the crash but I know it's hard for me to continue like this. Inevitably, something, hard to say what, most likely boredom has me throwing it all to the four winds. Of course, I did once go off sugar totally for over a year. I guess I can at least do that.. Well, wish me luck. It would be cool to finally dress how I am inside, instead of looking like the slob I do now...

Everyone else, good luck and power to you!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #90  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hey Ladies

Just a quickie yet again... I'm so tired.... I've been working another temp assignment and also not sleeping too well the last few nights.
But I've been doing good with my water.

I have temp assignment dilemmas, which I've described here (if the link doesn't work, it's in the 20-somethings forum). You're very welcome to read and add your thoughts, either here or on that thread. In fact, I'd appreciate it - I'm really stuck and can't seem to make a decision!

Red - I hear you about struggling with keeping up with the challenges! What has helped me, was focusing on one specific goal for the weekly challenge, working towards achieving it consistently, and only then adding more. This way there is less to plan/think about, but it still works.

Carla - so jealous of your running... I haven't been out for a run for ages... No gym to run at, and the fact that it's winter here means I'm leaving the house when it's still dark and getting back after it's gone dark again... Very poor lighting in the streets around here, and I've nearly killed my ankle once already, so I'm hesitant to run in the dark...

Bonnie - nice to see you on the roll again!
Donna and Trying - good luck sticking through the difficult times!

Okay, now I really must go to sleep - it's almost 11 pm, eek!

PS: yikes - on Tuesday, the available balance on my prepaid cell phone was $22.23... now it's $2.75... can't believe I ran through twenty-dollars-worth of calls in a few day's time... all because of the temp job dilemmas...
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote