Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #128

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #2  

THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday so be sure and take a little time just for you today.

Susan: We are all here cheering your hubby on and praying big prayers for him and you! I know things are going to work out great!

Carri: Hope you dh is getting back on his feet (no pun intended) and his ankles are feeling better.

LeeAnn: Never one to shy away from giving advice when asked, I do think that though this is difficult you need to make this call by yourself. I will say however, that a couple things you said make sense to me in more than one way. If you can afford it, take the classes online and if you don't decide to go to work, you still have them under your belt and what could be bad about that? Secondly, once the little ones are in school you need something to do with your time and if you think you would like to work, then I say go for it. You have to look at the reason for going to work, is it money or do you just want to get out of the house? In my opinion, working from the house makes no sense unless it is money that is the issue because the kids would be at school, you would still be "lonely" as you called it even having work to do. Even if you went to work, it will be hard at first with the kids gone, but they all grow up and it is just part of life. I can relate to all of this because I was a stay at home mom and even though my decision to do so was based purely on the fact Jack was in the Navy and as such unavailable to the kids a lot and I thought they needed one parent there for them all the time, we suffered financially for decades because of it. We barely made ends meet, we didn't most of the time, and even had trouble getting groceries etc from time to time because money was so very tight. We had nothing but junk cars from 1984 until 2002 because we didn't have the money or the credit to buy a decent one. I won't bore you with a lot of other problems we had, but I would not do it again. I did have a couple jobs here and there, but they were short term and paid poorly. They only kept us from going hungry. So with all that being said, I think you should get a pad of paper and list pros and cons to work or no work. When you are done, go back over the list and scratch off anything that really doesn't matter one way or another on the list then decide from there. I wish you luck and let us know what you decide.

have a great day ladys.

Faye
Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #3  

It's always better for children to have a parent at home with them than a paid stranger. I would not consider going to work if I didn't have too until my children were grown. As for feeling lonely, you could find other SAHMs and start a play group, etc. Leave the children with Dad in the evening and do something you enjoy, etc. I always think the good of the children comes first. My cousin home schooled 2 through highschool, then had 4 more which she is home schooling now. She has never been "lonely" or felt she wasn't contributing. She feels she is doing the very best thing she can for the good of the family and the children are/have grown up with the values she and her husband want them to have, not some strangers that may be in conflict.

Should know about DH surgery later this morning.

Have a happy Easter - I won't be back before Monday.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #4  
It is what it is...

LeAnn - As most of you know I do not have kids, and the reason I do not have them is because I cannot afford to quit my job and stay home with them. I believe that if I am going to have them then I should stay home with them and raise them...with that being said I would definitely want to go back to work once they were all in school.

You will have to make this decision for yourself, as Faye said, but I say if you are lucky enough to be able to stay home with them, then you should.
They are only this small once, and time does fly.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #5  

NO TOPIC TODAY!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend. I may not be able to peek back in here until Monday and if I can't Happy Easter to you all!

Faye
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #6  

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter!

HAPPY EASTER
Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #7  

Well, dh and I sat down and hashed it out. We've been in all of the situations, and they all had their drawbacks. He despised staying at home while I worked. We were cranky when we both worked, and irritated with me staying at home... so all in all, we had to figure out wich one irritated us the least. LOL!

In the end, we decided that I would get a part time job after the kids are in school just to get out and still be home when they get back. Don't know exactly what kind of job I will be able to get after 5 years of being out of work, but we'll see.

-Lee Ann
SuGyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #8  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all,

HAPPY EASTER!

I am still a little flat, but not in a really deep depression thank God! My eating has been terrible for 2 weeks - alot of that was due to PMS and TOM and just general comfort eating. The good thing is I've managed to keep going out to the gym, so hopefully my metabolism is back up to where it was before I got ill.
I am back on track with my eating as of tomorrow and will be jornalling again. (I've already eaten my easter egg!). I feel like if I get a good run at sticking to my diet plan and exercising 5 times a week, I can get in weight loss mode again which will really motivate me to stay with it.When I weighed in at the beginning of the month I'd lost 2lb, but I've been eating terribly since then so I won't change my tracker till I weigh in again in a day or two. I've been quite down about my weight recently and for the first time in a long time have been wondering if I am going to be able to do this. At the end of the summer last year I was on fire and was 100% sure that I would get to my goal weight, but months and months of not losing anything and not committing 100% have weakened my resolve. I am not giving up though - NO WAY! I just need to get back in the weight loss zone and get my drive and focus back. Being ill for so long, and then low mood setting in have really not helped - but now I am going to help myself and treat my body and mind healthily and look after myself with good food, exercise and gentle and caring thoughts. That's the plan anyway!

SUSAN - Hope all goes well for your dh in surgery. I will keep you both in my prayers.

LEE - No one but you can make the decision whether to stay at home or work, It is one of the most difficult decisions that a mother has to face. Luckily you have a choice - alot of women don't. I used to think that if I could afford to I'd be a SAHM, but I also think I could get terribly isolated and depressed so think part time work might suit me. I think I'd be a full time mum until they are 2, then introduce them to nursery etc, because it helps their social skills, but who knows until I am in that position and so many other factors play a part? It's never easy though - it's the modern dilemma. My poor sister has no choice but to work full time, then she has to do all the childcare and housework too because her husband never lifted a finger to help (they're getting divorced now) - I think women get a rough deal now because they basically have to do it all and even then they feel guilty!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #9  

MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our Mission this week is to separate ourselves from the dreaded Easter treats be it candy or desserts!

Gotta run! have a good day, girls

Faye
Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #10  

Stupid easter candy.

I've been stress eating for two weeks straight! I feel like total crap!! At least I'm still exercising, though. Time to get back to normal. I let the kids take all their candy to their rooms, so I won't be too tempted to eat it. They are home all week and guard the stuff like gold--so hopefully it will be gone before they go back to school next week.

DH is feeling really bad about his weight again, too. So, I think I'm going to start up SB again for him--he did really well on it before. I personally like to have a piece of bread or fruit in the morning, but don't "have" to. I wish I could just "eat what I want in moderation"...just doesn't seem to work for me.

Well, I have tons to do today. I hope everyone is doing well!

Lee, use this time to figure out what you *really* want to do with your life and then learn everything you can about it while you're home. Now is your chance to *choose* a career. If you wait until they get to school to start thinking about it, you'll end up with something you hate. I know you, and you're always happier when you're working. So use this time wisely.

Amanda, I'm right there with you sweetie! I've been depressed and eating poorly and not losing--but we can do this!

Susan, hope the news is good about the surgery!

Faye & Carrie

Am I missing anyone Hope not!

TTFN,
Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #11  

I had to run Jack to work this morning so didn't have much time. We all seem to be in this big crappy slump. I told Jack that I am going to the commissary the end of the week and whatever is left in the house goes in the garbage and I am getting all healthy stuff and I am going to beat this once and for all. I am tired, I am not feeling well and it is all because I put back on most of the weight I lost. I have a ballgame at Wrigley Field in Sept and if I don't take off a lot of lbs by then, I will never fit into the seats as they are really narrow. Who is with me? We need to be in this together! Back to counting points, everyone????

Faye
Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #12  
2006 - Panda Remix

I am with you Faye! I am re-committing as of today! I have started out by having healthy porridge oats for breakfast and am planning on cooking up a big soup/broth for tea which is so yummy, healthy, low fat and filling that I am confident I will stay OP. No gym today - I overdid it a bit on Fri & Sat and am very achy. Back tomorrow though!

Good for you Faye & Julie for making a definate decision to get back OP - I am in the same boat. Over the past two weeks, I have pretty much eaten everything I shouldn't! It's all been comfort eating, but I have ended up feeling worse and I know the only way to help myself feel good about myself is to eat healthily, exercise and watch the weight drop off!

Have a good day

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #13  

Confession time - I just threw in the towel and ate a ton of bad stuff over the weekend. I'm so stressed out about my husband that I sure shouldn't have added this load of guilt.

I took my husband to the kidney doctor who has been managing the others on Thursday. He was estatic - my husband has done a complete turnaround - gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks - hemo is up but not close to normal yet but the procrit has kicked in and its improving, his electrolytes are way up, not normal but good for a kidney patient. So he says, do not do the intestinal surgery now, he might not need it. Apparently the intestines have finally started to heal. But rush the vascular surgery because that is really bad. So now I'm waiting to hear from the vascular surgeon on what the next steps will be. So, I just threw my hands up and ate. It didn't help that I managed to get to day quilt guild on Friday and guess who one a big glass cylinder of chocolates for guess how many there were -- you guessed it - me. Just what I needed. DH doesn't care for chocolates anymore. They went to a friend last night.

Back on SBD today. I really feel crappy from the carbs and the scale is up 3 pounds (I know it's mostly water, but I feel bloated and miserable). I made menus for every meal and snack for the next week and that is aways a big help for me. Eating on the fly is not a good thing at my house.

So, it is agreed - we are all back on track and will post our points.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #14  

TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week are drinks. We need to watch what we drink other than water. Almost anything you drink is either high in sodium, sugar or both. If you are an anti water drinker, try adding Crystal Light to you water. You will still get water or even Iced Tea gives you water. It is a myth that you should only drink straight water. Some people just can't tolerate water so do what you need to do, just make sure you are not taking in a bunch of sugar or sodium when you do.

Faye
LeeAnn

I need to go ladies. I got a little sun poisoning from T's soccer practice (it was 96 yesterday here) and I am pretty nauseous and all that goes with that.

Have a good day! Keep up the good work!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-18-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #15  
It is what it is...

Morning Girls ... on the Topic for Tuesday, drinks, I am one of those people that drink nothing but water 24/7 ... I occasionally, like once every month or two will have a diet drink but that is rare ... I just love bottled water ...

I have been doing so well lately, I managed to lose 2 pounds last week even on TOM!!! So I am excited ... my clothes are really feeling lose again!!

Faye - 96 !!! ughhhhh ... I know I have said it many times on here but I hate hot weather ... if we never got above 75-80 here I would be so happy ...
I guess you got the A/C on huh? I hope that is not coming towards us, it is supposed to be in the high 60's lower 70's here all week and that is about perfect to me.

Susan - do not feel bad about your stress eating ... you are going through alot right now ... hope everything turns out well.

Amanda - Glad you are back on track now ...

I am glad you are all recommitting, for a while there I thought I was the only one trying to lose anymore ( besides Susan ) ha ha

Talk to you all later, stay OP !!!!! It CAN be done!!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote