Old 01-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #46  

Kiwi: U skirted it!!! POST this Hamburger soup crap you make...or maybe you don't make it at all..maybe its hamburger helper watered down..yeah, maybe thats it! ....post it and I will have DH take a pic of my burnt neck! Dare Dare Double Dare!

Pernie: I like yer method better..Sit ups in a Chair..Most doable.
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #47  
Member w/ messiest house

Hmmm, let's see, I make hamburger soup from a recipe for "Italian Hamburger Soup" (pronounced "Eye-talian") given me by my MIL. But I don't usually follow the recipe very closely. I will go get it and attempt to explain what I end up with. Ohmygosh the popovers were good, as was the soup, which by the way was leftover, did I mention that?

Oh, I'm wrong, the recipe is called "Theresa's Betty's It. Veg. Soup".

Here's the original recipe:
1# hamburg
2 cans beef broth
1/2 to 1 cup ch onions
1 can mixed veg.
2 cans It. stew tom.
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 cup uncooked noodles
In Lge pot brown meat & onions. Drain excess liquid. Salt & pepper to taste. Stir in remaining engredients. Bring to a boil, simmer 15 min. or until noodles are tender.

I think it's cute, don't you? Here's what I do to it: It starts the same, I use 85% lean meat, so there's not much grease. I don't usually use mixed veg (Veg-All is what she uses), I cut up a large carrot, a stalk or 2 of celery and a large potato, and add some frozen green beans or wax beans. This time I threw in a little teeny can of wax beans leftover from the sailboat, with its water. Not the sailboat water, the water from the can. I don't always use canned broth, sometimes I use about 4 cups of water and 4 tsp of bouillon paste or cubes, sometimes I use homemade broth. I never think to buy stewed tomatoes so I always use a large can of crushed tomatoes. DD hates to see tomatoes in things, so it's just as well. I don't add the noodles until the soup has simmered for a while, the longer the better as far as I'm concerned, then throw noodles in for 10 minutes. Sometimes I use barley instead, which has to simmer for about an hour.

It's good whether you use the recipe or my way. And better the next day, although I'll warn you the noodles swell up, so don't use anything that's already wide/big, you'll think the soup was swallowed up by the noodle that ate Cincinnati.

I am listening again to that CD, and I'm in love with a piano piece called Tipitina and Me by Allen Toussaint. Makes me want to swoon.

Posting piccies.

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030072crops.jpg (47.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1030073crops.jpg (43.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1030074crops.jpg (47.4 KB, 19 views)
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #48  
loves kleenex box art

That's a nice CD player. Where's Rosie?
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #49  

And I thought Kiwi said she has a messy house.. WHY ..in these PICs I SEE SHINY DUSTFREE areas!!! AND CLEAN FLOORS!! and that puter area SHINES!
Hmmpf: Me thinks someone is a closet clean freak!

Damn, my challenge has been answered, I guess I must post a pic of my neck.. A SIDE VIEW ONLY--I Shall not subject you to full frontal WADDLE.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #50  

Sigh. Jett is no longer a baby. They grow up so fast.

Kiwi, I have pretty much the same recipe for soup. It's called Harry Jr. Stew. I didn't know Harry was eye-talian. I'll tell you my favorite quick soup recipe - if you care - if you don't, well so what.... It's minestrone soup. 3 or 4 strips of bacon, cooked crispy, take out of pan and chop up and saute 1 onion and 2 or 3 celery ribs in bacon drippings. Add a can of bean w/ bacon soup and a can of beef broth concentrate, a can of tomatoes, chopped or otherwise, a couple cans of water, lots of chopped cabbage, zuchini, carrots and any other veggies you love, some basil and oregano, pepper, garlic powder. Throw the bacon, crumbled, back in. Cook until the veggies are mushy then add the pasta of your choice and cook another 20 minutes. This is delish, especially w/ some parmesan sprinkled on top and some crusty french bread. mmmmm. I'm going to get out the soup pot this weekend. Maybe I'll make some of Kiwonk's soup and some minestrone and freeze it for work lunches so I quit eating this horrible fast food.

Schatzi, I like to think my waddle looks better in the front on view. I never allow side view picture taking any more. Upside down sit ups! You are hi-larry-***, girly! This is but another reason why I don't go to gyms. That and laziness.

Disaster has struck. I can't find my swimsuit, and being fat and 49 I only have one. Looked in the motorhome. Looked in the boat. actually cleaned out my closet looking for it. Gotta have one for vacation. You know what this means---- 3 way mirrors and swimsuit shopping. eeeeek.

How am I gonna diet when I'm so hungry all the time? I had an english muffin for breakfast. Both my sisters are coming by for lunch. It won't be a diet lunch, I'm sure.
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #51  
loves kleenex box art

I make soup, too. It's called Refrigerator Soup and is made from hambuger and all the veggies in the fridge plus whatever I add from the cabinet. Use stock or water. Add seasonings or don't.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #52  

Kind of skimming the posts from when I last went through them.
Cow-- sorry you've had another rejections. Poop. You must be that much closer to a change in direction. The answer (in spite of David Spade and those Capital One commercials) can't ALWAYS be "no."

Baggz (I think) Thanks for the reminder to live my own life. I am really working on it! not so much the "my own" part any more, but the LIVE part. I'd been coasting there for a long time. I'm still coasting when it comes to the vacuum though. Guilt!

Hope all the daughters are feeling encouraged, even if there's tough going ahead. And it's gotta be one of the toughest times for a mom... FEELING responsible but not, ultimately, being in charge.

The hamburger soup sounds divine... But it's supposed to be back in the upper 70's... will save it in hope we get some semi-winter weather.

TTFN.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #53  

Bush is on: A new Bushism

" The Economy is Strong and We intend to Keep it"

I thought we were giving it to China??
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #54  
fatter than U

Smile

No time to post. Spent the afternoon putting away the Christmas crap and must now go to bed at a decent hour. Lost 4 lbs somehow. Will probably find them again tomorrow.

Hugs to all.

Mmmm...sailboat water...
SugP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #55  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzi
And I thought Kiwi said she has a messy house.. WHY ..in these PICs I SEE SHINY DUSTFREE areas!!! AND CLEAN FLOORS!! and that puter area SHINES!
Hmmpf: Me thinks someone is a closet clean freak!
That's because I'm a much better photo editor than a housekeeper! Here's the real horror you didn't see:
  1. What you didn't see of the desk (DH's desk, by the way; mine's much worse)
  2. What you didn't see of the stair landing (leftover stain from dog that died 3 years ago)
  3. Proof that Rosie doesn't do stairs -- that fuzzy stuff is dust galore
  4. and just a bonus view of mess (with cute cat/dog confrontation)
Never let it be said that I'm afraid to air my dirty laundry in public, eh?

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg what you didn't see of the desk.jpg (21.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg what you didn't see of the stairs.jpg (41.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg proof that rosie doesn't do stairs.jpg (45.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg dog&cat&mess.jpg (40.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #56  

Yer killing me!!!!! rofl:
Old 01-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #57  
Member w/ messiest house

Yes, that is the handle of an Easter basket on the left side of the last picture.

On the bright side, I got the tree stripped and DH took it outside tonight when he got home. I still have to pack boxes away. I didn't get a wreath for my door this year. I regret that. I put up a boring and stupid looking decoration on the door just to have something there. I can't stand to have it up one more day, so I wonder what I should put up. I miss having a wreath. I usually leave them up till some time in March (they stay so cold that they last 3+ months). Maybe I should decorate for Martin Luther King Day.

Kiwi
Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #58  
Member w/ messiest house

Arright, why am I here talking to myself? Do I have to post more hideous pictures or something. I think I have a photo of DH's hernia scar somewhere...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #59  

So I guess this group kind of takes Saturday off. whew... not so much to catch up on!

Shatzi-- didn't know you were a moderator. Well, Bravo, girly.
Sug -- 4 pounds missing... Good work!
Kiwi -- I love it. Housecleaning via photoshop! I actually ran the vacuum yesterday and had to take a long nap before dinner. The cat no longer has dust bunnies to contend with. I kept last years wreaths up all year long. Faux Eucalyptus with red berries.... For a while I had a wreath for every Lillian Vernon Catalog season.... but the people at Michael's were about to learn my first name, and DH didn't want to sacrifice that much attic space, so I've cut back. Is there a 12 step group for house decorators run amok? Surely there are bear, moose or blueberry wreaths you could put up!!

I hope I have lost pounds... and found clothes that fit.
Maybe I need to hold myself more accountable! don't tell anybody though... I'm not quite ready to promise!
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #60  

Woe... Where have all the Cows gone...did someone leave the gate open????

I am being subjected to watching the Giants and Panthers...and listen'n to DH rag on "his" team.

Kiwi..I made the HAMBURGER ZOUP yesterday...It was DeeeeLISH!
I used crushed tomatos too...and beef bouillion cubettes... it's a keeper! Thanks Dahlink. I am making a Spring wreath fer the front door.. The door looked so nice with the Xmas wreath on it..now it looks all sad and nekkid.

Painty: I hope you lost pounds tooo! yes, I'm a moderator for the South Beach forum..They didn't hold being a Cow against me or I woulda Said No! I am a COW and dern proud to be one a the herd!