Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #106  
Once and for all

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Shy-I agree with you slow and steady wins the race. Every pound loss is a victory for me, especially since when I originally decided to lose weight I was 220pounds. I lost 20 and over the span of ~2 years, I gained back 12. So I am very proud of myself to be at 185, which is the lowest I have been in years. I think I weighed that much in 8th grade (LOL)

Karmuz- The thing with my diet is that I am always so pressed for time, and really don't have the opportunity to plan out my meals like I want to, as I am doing my level 2 fieldwork for Occuaptional Therapy.

Breakfast- 1/3 cup oatmeal (prepared with water)
2 splendas
2% milk (for creaminess)
water
Lunch- 2 slices whole wheat bread
mustard
1 slice of luncheon meat (always trukey)
yogurt
water
Dinner- green salad
2 hard boiled eggs
tuna
balsamic vinigrette dressing (water or diet beverage)
Snacks are caramel rice cakes, fruit, yogurt, carrots.

I usually only drink water. Every now and again I have some diet soda when i get tired of water.

But here is where the huge problem comes in. The hospital I am assigned to, finds an excuse to celebrate everything, with either bagels, cakes, cookies, chips....You get the picture. And I am always so tempted to eat what's on the community table.

Last edited by unstoppable; 10-28-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #107  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

unstoppable
I have it a little different than some. My weight was put on by being sick or many many years and tons and tons of meds. During that time I picked up bad portion habits when I did eat at all. The body never knew if it was going to get food or not. The only major thing I have changed is portion sizes and not drinking a ton of mountain dew a day. That is why you will see me post about my " mountain dew " time lol. I sit with my can of pop and enjoy every last oz of it.

I never had to lose weight before. When the doc said the meds were pretty much out of my system ( ok this was years and years of meds ) and I could " try " to lose weight. I wasn't really sure how to do this. I knew diets didn't work. I have heard lots of people talk about their diets. I just happen to find this site. I typed in a post for help. WOW the response I got, I couldn't believe it. I had found a home. I set some basic limits for myself, that later my doc and a dietitian said were good limits, and away I went. I am not working very hard at it. I am making changes for life. I don't do without a thing but if I have something today I am bit more careful what I have tomorrow.

I am not saying how I am doing things is right for anyone else. I do know they are right for me. I could never stick with something that I had to lower intake of carbs to having none of the foods I love. I could never lower my fat intake where I worry about every bite as to not go over limits. I eat nice natural healthy whole foods. I do try to stay away from processed foods. They really aren't good for a person and I have never eaten much of them anyway. I still eat lean cuisines for lunch or dinner from time to time when the family is having something I could take or leave and is higher in fats or such that I really don't want to take in. They taste great and give a nice variety to my diet.

I get those four basic food groups in a day

Meat 2
Dairy 2
Fruit 2
Veggie 3
Bread and Cereal 6

I swear I eat all day long to get enough in lol

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-28-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'4"

^shy- I was just curious where did you get your avatar?!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #109  
Once and for all

I understand, I too find it difficult to deprive myself and I must say I have been doing well. If I want something I eat it, but try not to over do it. I find that when I deprive I end up eating more, so why bother. But my problem comes in not knowing all the foods that are "healthy" so I eat the same thing everyday and now I am looking for a change.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #110  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Evenin' ladies~ Welcome to more newbies!!

How's everyone's day been? Hopefully you've all been able to stick to your plans. I did fine with eating today except a handful of M&M's!!! Darn M&M's. I didn't get any exercise at all today but got a lot done around the house which felt just as good. Honestly, I had a few beers (3) at the hockey game and then 2 more when I got home so I had a bit of headache this morning.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day so I'm hoping some of you will hold me accountable just as I will for you!! Wish me luck with it! I do have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to post until later in the day/evening.

Shy ~ I love the way you explain your weight loss plan. I am doing the same thing, it just makes more sense coming out of YOUR mouth. Any time I've ever tried to "diet" I was obsessed over what I couldn't have. By just cutting down on my portions and making healthier choices I feel like I can do this for the long haul. I don't know if I missed a post early on where you said what kind of meds you were on or why but I'd be interested to know. Feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to announce it here. After my daughter was born I had a pretty bad Post Partem Depression and had to go on meds which caused me to gain approx. 30 pounds almost immediately. They warned me of the probable weight gain when I started the meds but had no choice, absolutely couldn't continue living the way I was. So I'd be interested to share our stories....

Have a great night ladies and keep up the good work!! Oh ya, and DRINK THAT WATER!!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #111  
Rennie

Onelasttime

Was sick with very bad lung problems for many years and arthritis problems, pneumonia every year. I remember one winter. I didn't feel good in the morning and made an appointment with the doc. By the time my husband got home from work I was almost delirious, don't even remember seeing the doc that day. Lots of different steroids, cortisones, inhalers, pills, shots. My gosh you name it they had it in me lol.

I left it all to God one day. They, to this day, have no idea what happened to my lungs. They are not the way they use to be. While not perfect I am no longer sick every year. Still took a very long time to get the meds out of my system. I have to be careful about getting any kind of infection to the respiratory still.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #112  
mamamona

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5-1

Hey everybody! I have actually kept up my walking this weekend. Usually it's hard to squeeze in when I'm at home. I usually walk during lunch at work. Went for walk tonight. Walking in 40degree Ky weather with no jacket will really make ya move!!! I also am not following any one certain diet. Just cutting back on portions, eating healthier and trying to get some exercise. I'm calling it my "THINK TWICE DIET". I think twice before I put it in my mouth.
Unstoppable, eating the same foods everyday can really put you in a rut. I've read your body likes things shook up every now and then so your metabolism doesn't slow. My problem is we are really on a tight budget right now and can't afford all those "diet foods" out there.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #113  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

THIS or THAT....
I started a new thread under General Chatter to play "This or That" so come and play... I'd love to get to know you all better with this game!!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #114  
Rennie

mama
Neither can we. I do sometimes eat a lean cuisine or a lean pocket when they are having something i really don't like or don't want like kielbasa sausage. Other than that I eat the same things they do really watching my portion sizes. When I first started to lose weight about 6 months ago I ate a lot of them now just a few times a week either lunch or dinner. You my dear, are a crazy lady lol. Put a coat on or walk with a walking video lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-28-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #115  
Made of Starstuff

Lola - If a weekly thread is possible it might be good to start it up.

Shy - You are right on about not getting down & under if you don't exactly make a goal. I do use goals to help me out a bit, but they're usually "OK. Next, I need to lose X lbs." No time frame, just a loss I'm working towards.
However, lately I've been signing up for a couple of time frame weight goals, and while I'll be SUPER happy if I make them, I'm not going to give up if I don't. Because you're right, I will have come so far, even if it's not quite at the goal number at that moment.
I'm also very happy to know that you're much healthier. I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through such difficult lung problems.

Unstoppable - Ahh the rut. You know the foods you know and you know them well. They have not failed you yet, but ... they HAVE failed you, because they've left you in this rut, and now you're more likely to stray because you're bored.
In the coming days, why not try one new thing? Select one meal to make that will be different. It could be a new dinner recipe. Take the time to research just one. In all honesty you could find a new recipe in 15 minutes. (Heck there are a billion on these forums alone!) You may not have time to plan every single day of the week, but you definitely deserve to treat yourself to some new & healthy meals. Start with just the one, who knows where it could lead?

OneLastTime - Best of Luck on your weigh in ^^

Mamamona - WTG on keeping up on your walking!

Checklist:

Food -
Exercise - (Could have made time if I had just dragged myself out of bed earlier )
Water -

Tomorrow's a new day!

Last edited by Lovely; 10-28-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #116  
Rennie

Faerie

Think I have one more mini goal left that i made. A new years day one. I said 161 we shall see. I hit my oct and nov goals early.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #117  

hey ladies, i can't write much today. been busy busy busy with family and work stuff, but i'll check in with you all tomorrow night!

i'm gonna start a new thread tonight for monday morning...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #118  
Made of Starstuff

Shy - Nice that you made those goals early ^^ That's a real boost. And of course all the best to you on your New Year's goal!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #119  
Once and for all

Yeah, maybe I will try the one new food item idea. Just to spice thinkgs up a bit. Today 45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes powerflex.

Drink plenty of water
Eat 5-6 small meals (one spiced up meal)
Exercise

Thank you all for your suggestions
Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #120  
GmaTo8

Since a new thread has been started, I'll close this one.
Closed Thread