Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #16  

Back from Water Aerobics. Breakfast was espresso, a protein bar, a bowl of Cheerios, and I had a protein shake before class.

My replacement potter's wheel was here on the porch when I got home, so I need to go pack up the broken one to send back.

I will check in later!

ROSALIE: I water aerobics! It is so easy and fun! I highly recommend it. You don't have to have a class to benefit from it either. I just do the same stuff in my pool alone whenever I get the chance and I can tell I am getting stronger and losing some.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #17  

Hello, sorry I have not been posting. I'm hanging in there. It's been a rough few weeks with DS's husband in ICU but things are slowly getting better. After 3 weeks, he's finally off the vent but still soooo weak. It will be a long recovery but at least he's moving forward. So of course things like that stress the whole family but I am doing the best I can.

Exercise has slipped. Scale is still heading in the right direction with occasional slip ups. Last week I was so close to falling below 180 that I even saw 179.8 briefly a couple of times but then back up to 182. Some days I feel so swollen that I know it's a fluid problem. I can't even budge my ring off my finger. It lasts for a few days then slowly resolves & then I see the scale going back down. I have looked back at my weight commander program & looks like I do this about every 2 weeks for a short time.

We're fixing to leave for vacation at the end of the week & I had set my goal to be below the 180 mark. I finally made it this am. I made it!!! 179.6 Now I need to keep down but it feels good to see my goal accomplished! My clothes are feeling looser every day & really starting to show that I have lost these 16 lbs since Feb.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #18  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HELLO EVERYONE ~ ~ What is the Sugarbusters plan like? Do I have to buy a book for the info? My doctor put me on Metformin when my sugars got a little too high; but now they are staying in the normal range. I have just been doing my own thing with watching my carbs (eating whole grains), lean meat, lower fat, lower sugar, etc.

I'm trying for balance, moderation, and normality; if there is such a thing? Well, at least I'm hoping. I have been popping in now and then to look for ideas. I noticed that you could use some company on this thread.

You'll notice right away that I'm the type of person who looks for the positive in everything (or at least I try to). My Christian faith is important to me, but I love talking about gardening, food, recipes, family, books, and life issues too. My hobbies are writing poems and songs; and learning to play the piano just for fun, as well as gardening and I like to read books now and then too.

I have always loved to swim; we have a brand new complex here, but our swimming pool isn't quite finished yet. I would love to do water aquatics (I know they are planning some classes when it opens). Now, what do I do about covering up this body; maybe tight black stretchy capris over a suit or with a tank ... hmmm? Don't want to shock anyone ~ LOL! I'm jesting ~ sorta!!!

ANYWAYS ~ I'd better not ramble on too much; better leave some room for the others. I have some free time as I'm a retiree; my career now is my home; cooking, housework, laundry, the finances, etc. We have two little furry babies that we adore; getting older now (14 y/o & 12), but still in great health; one is cockapoo and one is terrier; and cute as can be!!!

WELL, take care all; and I'll be back again soon ~ ROSEBUD.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #19  

ROSEBUD: The sugarbusters plan is probably pretty close to what you are doing. It is a very simple, easy to follow plan. Mainly, you avoid the whites-white flour, potatoes, rice, bread, sugar...and replace them with whole grains like whole wheat. Corn is NOT allowed, either by the way. Other foods to avoid include high glycemic fruits and veggies like bananas, pineapples and watermelon. You also watch your fat intake, concentrating on lean protein sources, and using low fat dairy products whenever possible. I recommend you read the book. Check your library for it. Oh, and ramble away. This IS a chatty group usually. Some members disappear for a while, then pop back in again. Summer is usually the slowest time. We are glad to have you join us, especially since, as you observed, it HAS been slow lately, and I hate talking to myself! I am a diabetic, and I find following the Sugarbusters plan is very helpful in managing my blood glucose levels. A few tips include not having more than two to three starchy carbs (whole wheat bread, sweet potato, brown rice, etc.) a day, making sure you drink plenty of water, and of course, getting about 30 minutes of exercise a day.

If you have any questions, please ask away!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #20  

ROSEBUD, Sounds like you're well on your way to achieving your goal & that you've got the jest of SB! Go to your library & check out the book then you'll know if it's one you want to invest in. eBay usually has soon pretty cheap also. It's well worth the read & yes it does work!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #21  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Howdy

Good almost afternoon. I've been eating poorly the last couple of days but I'm trying really hard to refocus.

WTG Melf!!! It feels so great to meet a goal.

Welcome Rosebud. I think Sugar Busters is one of the very best ways to eat even though I've had a rough year. I've been eating this way for five years. The first four I was doing wayyyyyy better. There are so many yummy recipes that you can make with out sugar. Even my family will eat sweets made with Agave syrup. They don't follow my way of eating. But I make many things that are healthier for them and they don't even know.. I love your signature. When I first started walking I used to say that verse the whole time I was trying to make it back home. There were many days I wouldn't have made it without God. I was SOOOO out of shape.

Rosalie...not at all. I didn't know what they were either until about 2 or three years ago when they were selling them at a road side veggie stand. I tried growing them last year but they didn't do well. We had one for dinner last night...yummmyyyyy It did explode a little..I need to put more holes in it next time..haha

((Everybody))

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #22  

Hello everyone! I've been doing well and out to walk three days this week. YES! We are leaving early in the morning for a weekend of camping on the lake! See ya on Monday!!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #23  

Whew...what a day. I had dim sum with my neighbor and her daughter for brunch. Then we went shopping at the Dollar Tree, and Wal Mart. I got a new bathing suit. When I got home, Justin left to go pick up his parents from the airport. His uncle died and the funeral will be here. We ended up going out to dinner tonight at an Italian place to celebrate Laura's birthday, which is next week. They left after putting the baby to bed to take his parents up to North Georgia to his other uncle and aunt's. That aunt is the one I do pottery with.... I got in the pool tonight for about 30 minutes of water aerobics.

Off to get ready for bed! Night all!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #24  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI EVERYONE ~ THANX so much for the nice welcome; I've been lurking for awhile and I already know MONET AND MO from the Dieting with Obstacles thread. MO had mentioned this thread to me, as she knew I have to watch my sugar intake. My doctor is trying to prevent full-fledged Diabetes by catching things early; so far so good.

We have a few people with diabetes in my family; so it's good to watch now. The Sugarbuster's Program sounds similar to what I was doing; but it is just a bit stricter. RATS ~ I just love corn; sometimes I have that instead of potatoes or rice for dinner. Now what do I do? I try to spread those carbs out over the day; but my plan allows 5-7 a day.

My plan says not to go under 4 carbs a day for balanced health. How do you find your sugars when you eat so few carbs? Years ago, I could have gotten away with that; but not now. I end up feeling very hungry if I miss meals now or eat too little. We think that's the Metformin doing that. I have to be careful of low sugar too, which I'm sure others do as well.

You know, I don't eat a lot of sugar anymore; we only have dessert once a week like Vanilla Ice Cream or Skim Milk Chocolate Pudding. My biggest problem was probably the carbs over all; now I measure my pasta, rice, and try to eat new potatoes mostly.

BUT, I think I will have to cut them a bit more to lose more weight as I have been a little stalled lately; I'm sure that's what the problem is. That is one reason I have been coming here so much.

My biggest problem is turning to carb comfort foods when I'm stressed or anxious; have to work really hard on that one. I am trying to keep busy too; like today, we spent a lot of time finishing up our garden ~ transplanting our tomato plants and seeding the yellow & green beans.

WELL, that gave me lots of exercise for today; I'm trying to meet a goal of 775 exercise minutes for June. So far I'm doing well with walking, hand-weights, gardening, chair aerobics, and I hope to add swimming soon.

ANYWAYS, it's getting really late, so I better go hit the sack or I'll be too exhausted tomorrow. Take care everyone ~ ROSEBUD.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #25  

ROSEBUD: I know the three starchy carbs a day sounds strict...but Sugarbusters is really not a low carb plan! It is a smart carb plan! You can eat fruit, and veggies so you don't have to go hungry. Corn is high glycemic food...just last night I cheated a bit and had some popcorn. Two hours later, my blood glucose level was pretty bad! No more popcorn for me for a while! I should have had some fruit, or some veggies and dip. I was stress eating and I knew it. Way to go on the exercising! That is so important! I was amazed when I was first diagnosed with Diabetes at how much just walking (strolling if you please) lowered my blood sugar levels. Even just bouncing on a Pilates ball will lower my levels! Speaking of exercise...I am sitting here in my bathing suit, ready to go out and do some water aerobics! Better get off here and get about it! Have a great day!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #26  

Default Good evening

I haven't been following SB like I should but I'm trying to show restraint in what I'm eating until I'm doing better. Since I've been too lazy to get any real exercise I've started mowing again. It really seems to do the trick.

I hope ya'll are having a FANTASTIC weekend and if not I pray it gets better.

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #27  

Hello everyone! I slept poorly...had a lot of dreams. I have been following the story of a little seven year old girl with Ewing's sarcoma for a while. She was diagnosed at the age of 2, and she died Friday morning. Most of my dreams were about her. It was weird. She was very vocal about all the angels that were hanging out in their house this past week. She described them as beautiful and they were talking to her a lot. The rest of the family of course could not see them. It just amazes me to think God sent angels to spend time with her and let her get to know them before it was time to take her with them so she would not be afraid. How cool is that?

I feel like I am in limbo on the funeral stuff. I still have not heard if there is any definite arrangements made. I am planning the dinner, and will make it rather informal and easy...ham, turkey, potato salad and a big tossed salad.

Dietwise, I am doing ok, but my weight popped up two pounds after going out to dinner Thursday, and it is not going back down fast enough to suit me!

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #28  

MMM- Unfortunately, I was up one and a half. Kind of frustrating....

The funeral is today, so I am heading up to north Georgia a bit later this morning to get everything fixed for the dinner this evening. I am just making sandwich trays and salads, so it will not be too hard. I was going to bake a cake, but then decided to just pie a big apple pie at Costco and make a nice fruit salad in a watermelon. Sounds good to me for a summer supper....

I hope everyone is doing well. Miss chatting with you all....where ever you are.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #29  

We're back! and we had a great time! The weather was good for camping. breezy and cool enough to sleep at night!

Rachel goes back to dance this week for nine hours a week! There's her exercise! and Sean is in the new driver education classes this week. So mom is back on the road again almost like during the school year!

we have the best chance for rain today that we have had for a while. I heard over the weekend that people have been holding prayer days for rain. Maybe it will come true today!

Have a great day!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #30  

Default Howdy

Eating like a crazy women and staying busy. I'm back up to 182. I really hope to get things together soon. I hope ya'll are having a super Monday.

Monet..I am so sorry to hear about that precious child losing her life to cancer.

Thin...welcome back

((Everybody))

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Closed Thread