Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What Stops You From Exercising?
I find it totally boring 1 4.55%
I have no motivation 2 9.09%
I'm just too busy 5 22.73%
Too tired before/after work 8 36.36%
Health problems 2 9.09%
Fear of looking stupid 0 0%
Lack of knowledge 0 0%
Weather (rain, sleet, wind or snow-hey, I not the Postman!) 0 0%
Other (like, nothing to wear and other lame excuses) 1 4.55%
But I DO exercise REGULARLY!!!! 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 10:08 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 11/5-11/11

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FIT FACTS

Please visit our LATEST BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=3773

Please make sure you post your BIO on the LATEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our NOVEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10560

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often-make sure to visit our newest board, MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS at the link below:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2342

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2344

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2365

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2359

and our newest board MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=5005

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10758

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGH IN INFO?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD below to post your stats!

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10558

VISIT OUR NEW SUGAR BUSTERS 2001 PICTURE GALLERY at the link below. You can upload pictures or post links to pictures on this board

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10759

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit NEW REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 11-04-2001, 10:18 PM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY done just in case I don't get on here in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM:

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

Do what needs to be done. Don't waste your time with excuses. Don't settle for the easy way out. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Just give it your best and get it done.

There is no deep, dark, hidden secret to success. The way to success is perfectly clear and easy to see. Success comes from doing what needs to be done, when it needs to be done.

The process cannot be cut short, so be wary of those promising shortcuts. There's nothing mysterious or mystical, so don't let yourself be taken in by self-proclaimed gurus.

You know what it takes to succeed. You've experienced it for yourself. You've seen it in others. The formula is reasonable and straightforward, and it's there for you to use.

When you see a problem, put in the effort to solve it. When you see a need, do what is necessary to fill it. When there's work to be done, jump in and do it. Success will never be handed to you, and yet it is always available to you. Right now is a great time to make it yours by doing what needs to be done.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day and a fabulous week!

Debbie
194/12?/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-05-2001, 01:05 AM   #3  

YAY! Diamondbacks! YAY! Diamondbacks! YAY! Diamondbacks!
Old 11-05-2001, 07:57 AM   #4  
Mel

Default pictures

Deb or anyone else- I don't think i'm doing pictures the best way. I've tried attaching then in the BROWSE box at the bottom, and that works, but the size and resolution has to be so low to get them to attach. Everyone else seems to be able to put up reasonably sized, high-res pictures. What's the trick?

mel
Old 11-05-2001, 08:08 AM   #5  

Good Monday Morning Everyone

Well, it's raining here, with a bit of wind gusts every now and then, trust me, we've had MUCH worse. They could of easily had school today-but I guess better safe than sorry. Definintely can't get in my walk this morning, but I'm hoping that once this passes through, maybe this afternoon I'll be able to get it in. I hate to miss a Monday walk, it doesn't make for a good start of the week-plus, with all I ate yesterday...

Actually, the scale is the same as yesterday, so the damage hasn't shown up yet, if it does. I'm keeping a watchful eye on myself today!

I have some news I'd like to share with you all. I told you about the woman from the company that imports the AGAVE SYRUP and being in touch with her regarding the agave and some questions I've had. Anyhow, we've been e-mailing back and forth and we hooked up on the phone last week. I was offered a independent contractor job of developing some recipes for the company, 4 to be put on the back of their product label on their agave syrup they are going to be packaging, along with 2 for the Canadian French version label. Then, they are going to have a website that she would like me to start with developing 20 recipes in different catagories. Of course, I'm thrilled with the prospect, while the same time, confused. This is something so foreign to me, not the recipe producing, but coming up with a figure to give her. She has no idea either and I'm at a loss for what to charge. I want to be fair, to us both, and yet, I don't want to under-price myself. My thinking was $100 a recipe, $15 an hour and the cost of the ingredients. I NEED SOME HONEST OPINIONS GALS! Does this sound reasonable and fair? Really, the recipes aren't hard to come up with, it's making them and test-tasting them (another worry I have which I'll discuss in a bit). The ingredient costs won't be much, esp. if it's a baked item, after the initial buy, I'll be able to use the stuff (like flour, butter, etc). Just things like a chicken recipe, stuff like that I'd need to buy each time. My hourly cost, to actually prepare and make the items. Like yesterday, I almost scrapped the cookies I was making, but played around with the recipe and was able to save it, though it didn't come out exactly as I wanted. I will try it again though-so sometimes I have to do something twice to get a good result. So, any thoughts???

I worry with the knowledge of myself that I have when it comes to baked goods. Even though they are SB LEGAL, I have no willpower and I worry the more things I make, the more I will eat. If it's not in the house, I have no problems. I know I have to taste some, but not 8-9 cookies as I did yesterday. I'm hoping it gets to be something that won't bother me after a while. I do have people to taste-test whatever I make, a good cross reference of taste buds I think.

THEN, she also mentioned that there's a possibility that I would be considered to be a DEMO COORDINATOR for sometime next year. That would be a possibility after they find a distrubutor in the State of Fl. I would do demos and then teach people who work in stores like WHOLE FOODS or WILD OATS how to do demos with the agave along with the knowledge of it, so they know what they are talking about when people ask them questions (like the benefits, how it's used, etc). She said if that happens and works out, I could be traveling the SE doing it in other states-something that sounds right up my alley!

So, that's my news. I have to come up with a proposal this week and have 4-6 recipes to her by next week. Would love your feedback on this!!!

MEL, e-mail me the picture, I'll see if I can do it and send it back for you-I don't know what the heck I do when I play around with getting the pictures to fit, I just keep going at it until I get it up there!

Well, I guess I'm going to go figure out what to do today. I do have some errands I could run, it's now not raining so much, so I could take advantage of there not being much traffic out on the roads.

PLEASE REMEMBER, TOMORROW NIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST!!! I have a board meeting at the school tomorrow night, but should be home in time.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Debbie
194/122/120
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-05-2001, 09:15 AM   #6  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Hi All !

Hey Gang

I haven't written in a while. I have been lurking. My DS and I have been sick for a week. I think it's starting to go away for me but DS is coughing away. Poor thing. I guess tending to him in the middle of the night is keeping me from resting properly and keeping me run down.

I had a BAD weekend 2 weeks ago. Ate lots of no-no stuff and felt bloated and the scale went up 2 lbs. The past week hasn't been too bad. Not eating all that much being sick. I have found that what I am cooking is easy heat'n eat stuff, kind of comfort food. I've been consciously trying to make good choices, but then sometimes I just say to myself "it's better to eat something not totally legal than eat nothing at all." Still trying to get off those 2 lbs.

I have come up with my own version of Neocitron (hot lemon cold drink)
I mix 1 TBSP lemon juice (I use the bottled kind) and 1 TBSP (or more to taste) of Agave nectar in a mug of boiling water. Neocitron does have some kind of medication in it, so I just take some tylenol with water.

Gonna try to get out to get a wee bit of fresh air. Maybe that will help clear my head.

Reading all your messages helps to keep me motivated. I am thinking about you all. Hope everyone in Florida is keeping safe with Michelle blowing about.

Take care everyone.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:46 AM   #7  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Monday Morning!

It is gorgeous in east central Alabama today--we could use some of your rain Deb!

I wasn't going to post this morning--but as I read Deb's post I decided to "weigh-in." I'm working on a proposal myself!

Deb--I think the $100.00 per recipe sounds fair, but I'd ask for the ingredient expense on top of it (always ask for expenses on top of fees)--the price is for your expertise. As for the hourly--a good way to compute that is to decide what you think a job like that might pay if you worked full time--then divide it by the week and hour to determine a reasonable hourly figure--you might checkmonster.com and some of the other job hunting websites to see if they have salary info. $15.00 hour, if you were working full time would come to about 31K per year. I hope the rest works out--why do I think you would be so good at teaching others about the virtues of agave???????

I hope you ger your walk in!

Frog and Big K's mamma--I posted messages to you late last night on the end of last week's board. I don't know if y'all have seen them, but I was thinking about you!

Zanne--I hope your daughter is better. That drink sounds good--I have to admit when I have a cold that drink with a shot of whisky before bed sounds lke just the ticket--but I haven't had a cold since I started SB! Got through a second fall with no allergy flareup!!!!!!!

Uh-Oh, I've probably jinxed myself--will have sniffles before nightfall!

I hope everyone else has a good week.

Remember--what's done is done. We cannot change the past, but what we do today CAN change the future!

Susan
Old 11-05-2001, 11:05 AM   #8  

Debelli: I don't really have any ideas for you but YAY! That sounds like an awesome opportunity for you. I also wanted to ask you, I found some Stevia with Agave. It is made by Kal. I was almost overwhelmed by the choices of stevia but this is individual packets. The did not have agave nectar/syrup. However, they did have pure fructose by Esculate? I think. It made it clear on the back of the package that it was NOT made from corn.

Liz
Old 11-05-2001, 11:26 AM   #9  

Smile Good Monday Morning!

It's a little windy here, but a beautiful day! It's good to be off. Hoping to get some more much needed house work done. I just need to get out of this chair & do it!

Debelli What a wonderful opportunity for you! Your prices seem to be reasonable to me & it sure is something that is right up your alley. As far as the tasting, you'll just need to have a mind-set about your limits & utilize your tasters right there in your household & friends around you which I'm sure should not be a problem for you. I know you have already got several recipes that you can start with. I'm sure you will keep us updated as we will all be interested in hearing all about the progress of this endeavor.

Fillise I sure hope you did not jinx yourself into a cold just so you can have that shot

Zanne Sure hope you feel better soon. I agree, it's hard to eat right when you're sick. You're either not hungry or you just want the wrong stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about those 2 lbs till you're feeling better & you should be able to get them back off.

meliris Hope you can get those pictures up. Enjoyed seeing the one you posted. You're really cute & not like I pictured you from your posts.

music teach & BusDebSo glad to see your pictures too!!! The close up pictures are so nice & clear. I always enjoy putting faces with posts & names.

BigKnightsMomma Welcome to our board!! Just got around to reading your BIO. Girl, what a big boy you have. 6'9"?? I'd take his advice too if he suggested a name.. Hey, another nurse! Wonderful! I'm an LPN & work at a small local hospital nearby. I
nursing. I did work on getting a BSN degree, but dh came along when I had only 3 semesters left & I couldn't handle full time school, work, & a new marriage, so guess what I dropped? Some days I could kick myself over it, but at the time it was the right choice. But I love bedside nursing & that's what I do to the best of my ability. Anyway, again Welcome! Sounds like you are making good progress.

Frog you said "*That a group of people that I've never met can be some of the best friends that I could have. You are there for the successful and unsuccessful days. Thank you! " You couldn't have said it any better. That is the way I feel about everyone on this board. I thrive on this board & the feedback from everyone here. I feel like I have no better friends than all of you here.

Rosalie I had copied your recipe for Zucchini Omelet, waiting for the chance to make them which I did this am. Loved them. Thanks for posting it.

Debelli Thanks for bringing those 3 boards to the top yesterday. I was looking through them again & found a recipe someone had revised for WW/Oatmeal Pancakes which were fabulous!!! Fixed them for supper after church last night.

Thunderwoman Hope you're feeling better.

Ann Are you healing ok???

SEF, KIM, Rhroo, VIV, Where are you??? I miss you!!!

Last edited by Melf; 11-05-2001 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:42 PM   #10  

Thumbs down

YIPEEEE! The rains subsided, at least long enough for me to get in my 4.5 miles I did it in 49:18, not too bad considering I was going against some tough winds some of the time. It was blustery, but humid, didn't get out til after 11:30am.

I made another batch of cookies today This time I made them with the knowledge of the nutritional values BEFORE eating a single one. I made SHORTBREAD COOKIES. I think they may need a tad more salt since I used unsalted butter. I personally think they are good, but Lauren didn't care for them. Michael hasn't tried one yet and I'll get a few people to give me some of their opinions. I've eaten 2 so far, but hopefully, I'll be able to resist eating any more for the remainder of the day

ZANNE, I hope you get feeling better. I know when you're not feelign 100% it's easier to eat things that may not be OP than to fix something. I'm sure you'll get those 2lbs back off pronto, just make sure you get back on the wagon and don't put it off, the longer you stay off the harder it seems to be to get back on.

FILLISE, thanks for your input. Def. I would put the ingredients cost seperately, even though I and others get to reap the benefits of the cooking. $15 an hour seems a bit high to me, but then again, it's not an hourly job and it won't add up to all that much in the long run. I'm hoping that this possibililty of DEMO COORDINATOR next year will bring me more of an income, I desperately need the $$$.

LIZ, do you mean the KAL BRAND of STEVIA also has AGAVE in it? I've never heard of the Esculate brand of Fructose, but if it's not made with corn, then you may have just found a good item. Are you sure of the name, I tried looking it up on the web and there's nothing with that name that I could find. Do they give you any indication what the source is? There's only once place I've found that has fructose not from corn which was on the web in Canada and too expensive to bother with trying to get, esp. when I found the agave.

MELF, you are so right, I am going to have to get a handle on the amounts I can eat of whatever I make, that I'll just have to eat 1 to 2 pieces/portions and then get rid of the rest to my "taste-testers". It bothers me that I have no control over eating my goodies! Glad to hear you found a few more recipes after I brought the boards up-they tend to get lost and forgotten about when they get too far down the line.

Gonna hit the shower and get some things done this afternoon, before the entire day is shot.

I'll check in with you all later today.

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-05-2001, 02:45 PM   #11  
Little Engine That Could

Debbie--Re the "problem" of being tempted by all the extra food--cookies, pies, etc--being around if you tested recipes, look at it this way. If they are paying you for the ingredients then you are not out any money from your own pocket. After baking or cooking whatever, just dump the whole thing in the sink and run water on it so that you will not be tempted to eat it. Just save one or 2 for sampling, and a couple for your kids to give their opinion. Any extras over that, just dump! You will lot be "losing any money" because someone else bought the ingredients. And you will be saving yourself in the long run. All that hard work you've done this past year needs to be protected!!
Old 11-05-2001, 05:34 PM   #12  

Yes the stevia I bought has agave in it. Is that ok? It seems rather sweet,is it possible for it to affect blood sugar? Here is the link to the website.

http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/...ct_index=39115

I am calling my co-op as we speak about the fructose. It was only like $10 for this huge bag
Esculent.is the brand name.
8.79 for a 5 lb bag.pure crystalline fructose.
It is partially derived from corn but NOT from corn syrup.

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/...groupid=FRUCTO
Old 11-05-2001, 10:20 PM   #13  

Default where do i find agave?

hi everybody,
again i want to thank everyone for the nice warm welcome to the board. i told everyone who is on this WOE where i work about this message board, they were very impressed. i work in a small hospital in palm bay, fl. there are currently 6 of us in the recovery room who are doing this WOE. it helps to have support in the workplace, there is only one non-believer who tends to try to thwart our efforts. she referred to me as a borne-again christian with all my sugarbusting talk. i let her know that i was glad she noticed and try not to be so negative about it. it is sad when a friend can't support such a healthier lifestyle for a co-worker, oh well.
weather has been damp here in central fl, hope you are staying dry and safe debbie. the erosion in melbourne beach looks awful, that is about 10 minutes from where i live.
my question to you all is "where do i find this agave" i see it in a lot of the baking recipes and have not been able to find it , any ideas? to gator gal , is there a place in orlando i could find it, we are over there fairly often to see my son at UCF.
Also where do i find the chat room on the board for tues. eve.
thanks for any info.

bye for now

chris
Old 11-06-2001, 02:01 AM   #14  
sef

Hi all!!

Thanks for missing me Melf, although I didn't know I was gone that long. I THINK I posted yesterday, but I've been wrong before! I don't know if you get the Picayune in your area, but in yesterday's paper there was an article in the travel swection on Abbeville. It mentioned the Caldwell Inn and the historic things in the area. Sounded rather nice. I thought I'd like to go to Avery Island sometime. Just to see where Tabasco comes from!

DEB - What a wonderful opportunity for you! I told you you protested too much about cooling!! Go for it. The money the company would make from the recipes should make 100 bucks acceptable, they can always come back with a counter offer. I think Gator has the right idea, Dump all that temptation down the drain. Hope you survived the hurricane. Never heard of Hydro massage, but then I lead a sheltered life! I finally found pastry ww flour, now will have to try to make something with it! I liked the motivation thought. I am a firm believer in the fact that we do what we have to do.

THUNDER - Hope you and yours are feeling better. You know that Chicken Noodle Soup is Jewish penicillin don't you. In Jersey I had a lot of Jewish friends and that's what they called it. Now doctors are saying it is good for you when you have a cold. The heat loosens you up. If you really want to loosen up eat sometihing spicy. I like things so hot and spicy it melts your ear wax!!!

GATOR - Liked your boating story, we used to go on the Delaware. Always had to carry cotter pins with us as there werealways hidden rocks that would be hit by motor propellor and shear the pin. Another bif thing was tubing and canoeing. It was such fun, When I was pregnant the first time we went fishing and I got the worst sunburn!! Couldn't even stand a sheet on me!

JRED - Hope you are feeling better.

FROG - Loved your thoughts on you year with SB. I think we all realize how much the friends here mean to us, we just don't express as nice as you did!

MEL - One thing we don't get here is leaves. I rather miss the smells of fall, the raking of the leaves etc. I know what you mean about your bench mark dress. I had the same thing happen! I also begrudge buying dresses that really only get used for a one time event. Not cheap just hate to have something hanging in the closet that doesn;t get used!

MOMMA - You sound like a proud Mom, there's nothing like supporting your kids in their endeavors, even if it does mean that you flip burgers for the refreshment stand and miss the game or the meet. What is important that you are there!

You'll be able to ignore those cookies, just have strength. I was a sucker for the mint cookies. Years ago the GS were the only ones who had them, now you can buy them in stores. I'm so old I can remember selling cookies for .25 a box!!

I bought my Agave in a health food store.

FILLISE - You're right about the sweets. I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. Remember I told you our initials would help remind us to be sugar free. I noticed my license plate is another reminder, it's GWP....Gross Weight Problem! Can find reminders to behave wherever we look if we want to.

TREE - I sort of wanted the Yankees to win just because they were from New York City. But for that I think they have won enough times that it is nice to see such a young team come forth. So yeah, RAH DIAMONDBACKS!!!!!!!!

ZANNE - Liked the hot lemonade using Agave, never thought of that. Used to make it with honey and a shot (or two) of Southern Comfort. That sure kicked things away!!

Don't want to lose this. I will continue next.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:09 AM   #15  
sef

MOMMA - Look for Debbie's post on Tuesday, she usually has one that you can click on and it takes you right to the Chat Board. I put it in my Favorites.

I had a really busy day today. Went to the nursing home and then shopping. I went to three different stores before I found what I was looking for!

Then did usual house things, made supper and watched the ice skating, my fav sport. Also stitched for five hours!!

Well, time to head for bed.

Take care, Shirley
Closed Thread