South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 01:47 AM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default South Beach Diet, 1st week of JUNE

Hello SBD faithful. How are you all doing?
Here I am, middle of second week of Phase 1. Not as hungry as I was last week and the cravings have all but disappeared. I still found myself stuffing a small piece of bread and butter in my mouth this afternoon after a nice salad with chicken breast. It wasn't hunger. I just missed the taste and texture of it.

This morning I made a batch of mini spinach quiches and I've frozen most of them for those mornings when I just can't face another omelet or fried egg. LOL Lordy, I am SO sick of eggs. I've never been one to enjoy a hard boiled egg either, so that option just doesn't thrill me.

I bought some Metamusil yesterday and had some today with my breakfast. I got the kind sweetened with Aspartane and orange flavored. It wasn't bad at first, but upon sitting for a while, it started to get quite glutinous. I guess the thing to do is guzzle it down quickly. I did stay full a long time so maybe there's something in the theory.

How's everybody else doing? Any problems, suggestions, recipes?
Old 06-04-2003, 04:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

I couldn't make myself stick to phase 1 so I cheated and skipped ahead to phase 2. I've cut way back on processed carbs and eat more fish and skinless chicken. I think the thing that caught my eye about SBD theory is that you should never eat high carb anything without eating protein with it. For example, a slice of bread is better for you slathered with olive oil than alone. Every diet has a little glimpse of something sensible if you look hard enough. LOL!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 AM   #3  
Connecticut

Default Just Started SBD Yesterday

Good Morning ....

I hope you don't mind me posting to your board!

I just began SBD yesterday and even though I was a bit on the tired side by late afternoon, it went very well, and the scale was down 3 lbs this morning. I know it's all water weight, but I'll take it! I was hungry late afternoon too, so I had my dessert before dinner rather than after. Not sure if that's "legal" but I did it anyway.

Nora, I also was surprised to learn what a little fat does to a carb (ie eating a piece of white bread with a little butter or olive oil is better for you than just the bread alone). I have read the book twice now (pathetic I know!) and each time it makes more and more sense.

I did hear that WW is revamping their program to include more emphasis on carbs.

Linda, I do wish there was something better out there than Metamucil as I hate that stuff. But, I went back to eating eggs with SBD so I suppose I can get used to doing that again also .

Thanks for letting me post and I wish you a successful SBD day!

Terry
Old 06-04-2003, 04:05 PM   #4  
Slimwithin

I have to confess I'm really sick of eggs in any way shape or form. Yesterday I made a batch of the SBD Spinach Quiches and I've frozen them for quick nuked breakfasts but I can hardly wait to get into the next phase when I can have some oatmeal or multigrain bread. It's a good thing we can have some turkey bacon or I'd never be able to choke down the eggs.
I will be doing my weigh-in on Saturday morning and hope I've lost some more. Wish me luck.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:42 AM   #5  
Connecticut

Morning!

Linda, I agree with you on the eggs and it's just my third day today ! I have never been fond of them to begin with, and it looks like I never will either. I do love real oatmeal -- especially Scottish Oats -- and can eat that everyday with some SF maple syrup so I CANNOT WAIT for Phase Two!

The eggs went down OK for day one, had to force each mouthful yesterday, and today it's onto something else for breakfast. Hey, at least I tried!

I do like the diet overall though and I am really looking at it from a lifestyle change viewpoint too. I told my daughter that she cannot get married until I am a size 10 -- good thing the weding isn't until July 2004 because I am going to need all the time I can get .

Have a Terrific Thursday Terry
Old 06-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #6  

hello everyone~
work is great! i know i'm going to love it there!
it is sooo much easier to eat right when not at home. ive been dring 8+ glasses of water, not snacking, and eating pretty well. ive lost 1.5 lbs this week, so i'm pretty happy.
caci~ i would never dessert you. i think i have decided to make up my own way to eat, with a little from atkins, sugar busters, and sbd- i'm gonna stay here cause i really enjoy our group.
i believe the water drinking is crutial.
i still havent bought the book, but i think its time- i didnt know about the metamusil- makes sense.
i saw you posted re:atkins food. i was wondering the same- i may try the frozen shakes- they sound YUMMY!!!!
sorry i didnt write sooner- as soon as i got home, i started my "other jobs" mommy, wife, maid, cook, etc......... then to bed exhausted!
ok then i will check in with all of you tomorrow.
thanks for all the support!!!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:16 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

Bringing this to the top for SBDers.
Today I broke down and had an ice cream cone...chocolate ice cream. Darn! I was at a picnic with my club women. It was being held at a local farm where they have a petting zoo for kids, a tractor pulled hay ride, and a milking barn with a stand selling home made ice cream. I'd brought my chicken breast and salad and really enjoyed them, but when the other women started slurping on that lovely ice cream, I just couldn't resist. It was such a warm day.
No way am I going to go back to Day 1 of Phase 1. I will just continue on and try to behave myself.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:18 AM   #8  

Sandi: Glad to hear from you and happy you like your job--that is really an important thing in life--if you don't enjoy your work, I think it shows in other parts of your life-like trying to lose weight.
I was checking out the Atkin's food as I don't see why some of the products couldn't be used with SBD and I am really staring to miss my muffins and pancakes for breakfast at least on the weekends. Going to check the website one of the women mentioned and see if I can get some of the products cheaper than through Atkins.
Linda BC: I don't think one little slip will make much difference. I think the books says as long as you get right back on SBD it should do too much harm. Just don't let yourself feel guilty about the ice cream. I also found that after my two weeks I didn't have to worry about using Metamucil and my body returned to its regular schedule.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. Caci
Old 06-06-2003, 02:30 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Caci, I wasn't going to use the Metamucil for constipation. I'm not troubled by that. The doctor recommended it for helping us to feel fuller, faster because the high fiber content makes it slower to digest. I keep forgetting to take it anyhow. LOL
Old 06-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #10  

Hi LindaBC. I read that too and thought I would try it, but once I got the stuff mixed, I couldn't drink it as it was so gritty. Have you tried it--does it work--I wonder if the pills would work, although most days I am not that hungry. Hope I didn't offend you as I thought maybe that was why you were going to use it as it was the only real problem I had with the first week of Phase I. Have a great weekend. Caci
Old 06-06-2003, 07:12 PM   #11  

hey all~
i think you can buy psyllium husk in capsule form. easy to get down and will still do the trick. you might have to take it 30 mins b4 a meal, but at least it goes down quicker and easier!!!!
my water consumption was 96 oz's today! makes all the difference in the world. still had a diet coke or two, but not like i use to crave it.
anyway, all of you have a great weekend. we are suppose to have "a little" sunshine!!! woo-hoo!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM   #12  

What is the deal with metemucil?Are we supposed to incorpotate that?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Newbee - do you have the book? Dr A suggests metamucil before meals may help make us feel full. Boy, you sure dug back to find this year old thread!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'll close this thread. If you need more info, please post as a standalone thread. Two of the posters are old friends of mine and are on other plans right now. They may be back.
Closed Thread