South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default South Beach Diet - Week of May 26

Ok, I admit, I haven't been around and holding up my end of the threads. I am going to really buckle down this week, and I will try to post here every day, if only to say hi.

I'm going to make up another batch of my favorite White Chili to have on hand. If any of you have not tried it, DO, it's wonderful!.

Anyway today is a holiday, but I'm at work, not workig much, but here anyway. It's just me aned ole Alvin today (we normally have 12 employee here) and we have the doors locked and the OPEN sign off.

Question for the Week: What is your favorite SBD recipie? Mine without a doublt its the White Chili, but I also liked the chicken and Couscous. Next...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:02 AM   #2  

Good Morning. I was afraid this thread was going to die out. So many seemed interested in the SBD when it first started, but now there doesn't seem to be the interest. I am wondering if they just stopped using it b/c it didn't work, or for some other reason.
barb.g what phase are you doing? I haven't tried either of the recipes you mentioned and will look the White Chili up in the book as I was looking for something different. Did you see where Dr. A. is starting up a "fee" website. If you sign up prior to June 1st it is half price. I didn't as I think there are so many good frees ones out there that I probably wouldn't use it that much.
Hope you have a great Tuesday. Caci
Old 05-27-2003, 08:31 AM   #3  

caci, is that you??????????????????
i'm kidding! : )
ive started looking at other diets. sbd seemed to work in phase 1, but i cant make the transition and i cant eat ph 1 for ever.
any suggestions? i can say the induction must have triggered my matobolism, cause i have been eating everything and maintaining the loss. unfortunately, i still have 45 lbs to go.
i dont know what im doing, but not having everyone around was tough. you guys have been such a support. so no matter what plan we are on, we really should stick together.
oh, by the way, i got the job. i start on monday, jun 2. one less load to carry....................... let me know if you're sticking w/sbd or going on to something else. i was looking at sugar busters. any feedback? hope to see you on again real soon.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why not join the rest of the Chicks on the Daily? We are all on low carb diets, no matter what we call them. Lots of support there and a lot more people.
I'm looking at SBD myself and find it very similar to the other low carb plans. I am sure I will have the same problem with Phase 2, however.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #5  

Congratulations on your new job Sandy. It's hard to stay on a diet when you have major stresses to deal with-I know.
Still on SBD, but have not strayed far from Phase I, except for a few strawberries, but I know as soon as the other berries and melons are available, I probably won't be able to resist them. I have been thinking about Dr. Atkins, but after eating low-fat for so long, it is difficult to get a mind-change, and the induction phase only has 20 gr. carb, and that really seems low. I haven't seen a book around from SugarBuster so not too sure what it entails.
Ruth, what plan have you been using that you are thinking of changing?
barb.g, where did you find a recipe for White Chili?
Going to check on Chicks on Daily.
Caci
Old 05-27-2003, 11:26 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Caci, I have been stuck between 205 and 212 for about a year! I go onto Atkins and then give in to the carb cravings. So I go onto WW and end up NOT losing weight! I did lose a lot of weight on Atkins back when I was in my thirties but now....... I must say the summer fruits are going to be really tempting!

I may order the SBD book to add to my collection of every diet book known to woman! My books weigh more than I need to lose!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:20 AM   #7  

O.K. where is everyone? Ruth, you sound just like me. I think I have tried most of the low-fat diets that have been around for years, but this is the first low-carb one I have ever tried and I am surprised that I am not hungry all the time, and although I can't say a piece of pie or cake doesn't look tempting to me, I really don't crave it. Just before this one I tried WW (again) but since I live so far from any of the meetings, decided to do it on my own and found that counting points was easy and I stayed within my point level, I was just eating junk every day until I reached the point level I was suppose to stay at, and then just starved the rest of the day, which I know was very unhealthy and I really didn't lose much. I think I have lost the same 45 lbs over and over again and each time I get close to my goal, I start eating again and up it goes again.
Sandy, how are you doing or are you so excited about your new job that you are still celebrating?
Barb.g: Where is my recipe?????
Hope you all have a great day. Caci
Old 05-28-2003, 07:26 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Yes, eating low carb really does keep the hungries at bay. I do find it hard to eat breakfast and sometimes do a protein shake when bacon and eggs don't appeal.
Have a great day.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:13 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Sorry I haven't had time to check back in. I'm doing Phase 2.

come on Ruth, you knowyou need one MORE diet book!!! It's almost to the point now where I feel I could write one. I'm rather enjoying the SBD because it's sorta the best of both worlds.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:24 PM   #10  

caci~ glad you're around. i missed you!!!!!!!
i havent really been eating "right", as my grocery shopping budget has been tiny and i have 3 children, etc.... BUT, since i start work on mon, i will finally have the $$ to buy what "I" need to lose this weight.
i just finished the SUGARBUSTERS book, from the library, and it was soooooo interesting. lets see, protein same as sbd, veggies same as sbd, carbs (good ones) are ok in moderation, and its all about no added sugar. my explanation doesnt serve it justice- you should read it just to educate yourself on the effects of sugar, insulin effects, protein and glucogen, etc......
i think we ( me) all need to educate ourselves and then try what works. sbd worked but not practical in my life. maybe it will work better when i am working full time, i havent given up hope. but being home w/a poor choice of food, i was bound to slip. notice i didnt say FAIL. i believe this is the time it will really happen.

anyway, glad to see south beach active again. i really did miss all of you.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Height: 5'7"

I'm starting the SBD today. Giving up milk in my decaf will probably be the biggest hurdle for me while in phase 1, I have the book and it says right on the cover; "Lose Belly Fat First". That's enough motivation for me to give 'er a go.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #12  

welcome nora~
WE ARE ALL HERE TO SUPPORT YOU ANY WAY WE CAN. let us know how you're doing. we have a great group here!!!!
how much do you want to lose? make sure you drink lots, LOTS, of water!
Old 05-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #13  

HELLOooooooooooo...........................
where is everyone? the warmer months bring us busier lives. well, i got the final GO for work. you know, had to wait for the background check to be completed!!! so first thing mon am, i'm off to work. will be strange- have been home for 14 months. will make sure to pack my lunch and water bottle. i'll try to visit here when i get home. so you guys keep leaving positive messages. i really want us to stay together. have a great weekend all.....
Old 05-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #14  

Welcome Nora. Once you get past the first week and your body gets use to have less sugar, it seems to get easier--at least for me it did. Good luck and like Sandy said drink lots and lots of water. When I started SBD I drank at the most two 8 oz of water a day, now my body seems to crave it and the 8 glasses go down easily.
Sandy: Took you advise and read Sugar Buster. Met a lady who wanted to read SBD and she had Sugar Busters, so we traded for a week. It looks a lot easier to do than SBD as it allows more things, but it is as confusing as SBD when it comes to the recipes. I see it says fruit 1/2 hr before a meal or 1/2 hour after and then when it gives what to eat daily, it has cereal and berries--did you figure that one out. I did see that the new book isn't as strict on coffee and like SBD does allow some. I am just afraid the extra carbs will make losing the weight harder--what did you think?
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. We are due for rain again tomorrow morning, but is suppose to end by mid-day (let's hope) Caci
Old 05-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #15  

hey caci~
ya i did notice that about the fruit/cereal- maybe they are setting us up ( just kidding)- i dont know what i'm doin right now. just watched Oprah and it was about heart disease, high blood pressure(me), and diabetes. bob greene was on basically saying get up and move and then of course, watch your diet. he simplified it by saying, " eat less, move more". like we didnt already know that!!!!!
rain due here shortly too! yuck!
wish me luck on monday!
Closed Thread