South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Thanks, everyone.

Pearl - Happy 20 year anniversary!!! I'm sure you're really looking forward to June!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #47  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

I think I opened my mouth too soon. Kara asked how my world is today and I said it was calm well, shortly after that post I got a call from DS1 school and now he is suspended for taking a knife to school. This is totally not like him. He is easily influenced by other kids and they know that and when they get asked they all deny it. I am so frustrated and tired of him being so easily influenced and thinking that these kids are his "friends" when all they want is to see him get in trouble. I am so angry right now I don't even know what to do. He's only 8 and now suspended for 3 days. He's lucky the knife wasn't 1/2 an inch longer or he would've been expelled and would have to go to an alternative school.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #48  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Oh, Tk! It's so sad that little boys take advantage of how impressionable your son is. When my husband was in school, they did the same thing. Kids are so mean sometimes!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #49  
Trying it again....

yeah-I just don't know what to do. He is just so easily-influenced and we don't know what to do. We tell him that it's not important what other kids say but it just doesn't sink in.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #50  
beachin'

That is the age where what his peers think means so much to him. I'm not sure what to tell you about how to stop it.

I realize that the school has a no tolerance policy that cannot be avoided, but I think the school needs to realize that there was no malicious intent by your son and that he is just a malleable child. I feel so bad for your son, because I know what he is going through. Those years are tough for everyone and we all strive so hard for acceptance. My 2 cents, for what they are worth, would be to tell your son that no matter what his friends say there are just some things that you cannot do (the old jumping off a bridge adage). Remind him that things like guns and knives are not allowed at school, and if his friends tell him to bring them he should tell you immediately.

I feel for you, sister. I would be devastated if that was my son. It's tough to be angry with your son, because he's young and impressionable. I asked my husband what he would do in this situation, and he (jokingly) said "take the knife and stab his little friends". Ok, so he has a kind of twisted sense of humor, but I would be more upset with the "friends" that took advantage of him than at your son himself.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #51  
Trying it again....

zeffry-lol that's funny. DH would probably say the same thing if it happened to a different child. Or he would say something like take the knife and stab his hand. lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #52  
beachin'

I think suspension is a horrible punishment btw. All is does is allow the children to get severely behind in schoolwork, and most kids that I know welcomed suspension because they got to stay home from school and watch cartoons all day. If anything it punishes the parents because they have to find someone to watch that kid if they are working or take off of work for the suspension entirety.

I'm baking loaves of bread today for the next two weeks for my DH and DS. Some just plain whole wheat for toast, and others like a whole wheat Tuscan boulle, and a sage bread. omg. it smells so good. Cross your fingers that I can pass them up.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-09-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #53  
Visualizing the Goal

Tawnya, aw! He fell asleep on the floor? That's adorable! Sorry to hear about the school incident. I know there are character building curricula out there. I've come across them in searching for Connor's homeschooling materials, but haven't used any myself. I go through rainbowresource.com for a lot of things and I probably saw them there. My guess would be they have guided discussions about peer pressure and how to deal with different situations. Might be worth looking into!

Loriann, we used to let Reese run in the fields in Texas, until she took off after a jackrabbit and came back with cactus spines stuck all over her nose and legs!

Nessa, sounds like once Brian gets all that work done, you will have a new husband! Hope the appointment goes well for you!

Jan, sorry the computer was mean to you. Happy Hump Day to you!

Laurie, I don't watch The Biggest Loser either. It's on at the same time as something else, and with my in-laws dish service, you can only watch OR tape one thing at a time. I don't do too much bouncing on the elliptical. My upper body stays pretty stable and my legs just go around and around (and around and around...). But forget about reading on the treadmill, and the bike bores me to death so I don't do that! Let me know how your tempeh turns out. I tried it once and didn't care for it, but I think it was my error in not cooking it well.

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 04-09-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #54  
Visualizing the Goal

Ruth, sorry for posting on top of myself. Had too many posts to read and answer...

Oh, Kim! Best thoughts and prayers for your husband! Please let us know when you get the results back, if you can manage it.

Phoenix, there's always someone on! Come anytime!

TDI, be careful with ibuprofin! Take it with food AND milk. I got an ulcer from ibuprofin back in college when I was prescribed it for a sports injury.

Happy anniversary, Rose!

Zeff, great job! Stringing those days together makes a big difference!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 04-09-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #55  
beachin'

Has anybody had the Minestrone from the SBD cookbook? I was going to omit the pasta for a PH1 recipe. My husband is having a friend over to play some video games(snooze) tonight, and he said that "he might be hungry when he comes over". To me that sounds like guy speak for "He will be hungry when he comes over, and I told him that you would feed him, but I didn't want to spring a dinner guest on you so I'll just elude to the fact that he'll be hungry when he gets here and hopefully you'll pick up on it".

I had the Minestrone planned for tonight, along with some fresh baked bread....but is the soup "having friends over for dinner" good?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #56  
Visualizing the Goal

I haven't made the minestrone from the cookbook yet, but it's hard to mess up a minestrone! I think your interpretation of your husband's comment is spot-on (and quite funny, by the way). If the guy doesn't want soup, as far as I'm concerned, he can go out and get his own dinner and come back to play games. Make what you'd planned!

Kara
Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #57  
Trying it again....

Kara-I will look into it. Right now anything will help.
Zeffry-yeah, it's more of a punishment for the parent. I got suspended from school when I was in high school and I didn't care. It was better for me at the time.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #58  
beachin'

you're right, Kara. I'm making that dang soup and I don't want to hear any fuss about it.
Hubs actually really likes Minestrone, so he was kind of disappointed when I said I might make something else.

I love these roasted chickpeas. I've been munching on them for lunch while I plan the menus and shopping lists for next week.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #59  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Zeffryn I second waht Kara said. I feel you eat what I have cooked or eat somewhere else. Good luck on the soup - I'm not a soup person.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #60  
beachin'

I love a good soup. Especially broth based soups. They are so light and healthful and really fill you up.

I used to love having fresh bread with it, though

uh-oh. Calvin left his bowl of strawberries right next to my desk. I looooooooooooooooooooooove strawberries.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-09-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Closed Thread