Alternachicks book club

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • I wanted to add a thank you to whomever started this post, I spend alot of time out by the sandbox with my youngest cuz she isnt old enuff to play out alone..we live in a big apt. complex..and really all i have to do out there is read..so i am always always looking for good books to read..

so feel free to recommend anything to me..

espically if they reminded you of the mists of avalon..lol
    or something anne riceish..i am a little squimish I am not a true horror fan..espically if a child is hurt..and I hate kidnapping books..oh my god i will have nightmares forever..lol

i like stuff with like cool females..stuff i can relate too in life..
    sex is always good too..lol
    i am a perv..lmao
  • planning ahead
    Yes, amyjo, I'm from Alabama. I'm even a native who knows how to use the computer. I'm from Andalusia, and I teach at small 6-12 school near Troy.

I was thinking yesterday about how I can stay on track over the holiday weekend. I've decided to plan for it. We have a huge family reunion/feast on Sunday. So I'm making a bowl of my special cabbage salad, turkey, and sugar-free coconut pie. Then I'll treat myself to one dollop of one other food that looks good. That way, I may not be getting the exchanges exactly right, but I won't be blowing it, either.

I find that a lot of my eating problem is due to STRESS--which is mostly due to lack of planning on my part. So I'm working on being more organized for school. That way maybe I won't be so tempted to make a candy stop after school. I'm also trying to plan better meals after school so that I don't get so hungry that I eat whatever is slow enough for me to catch it. And you'd be amazed how fleet of foot I am when I'm hungry.

Get outside! It's gorgeous down here.
  • I am going to start reading "A Boy Called It" I forget the name of the author (sorry) It's about the 3rd worst case of child abuse in american history. I am supposed to read it for school. Very graphic and very sad.

I am also reading my daughter Harry Potter. She is only 4 so it should take us forever to finish it. But that's ok.

Bella23
  • I am currently reading Death's Door by Michael Slade. I am halfway through and will let you all know how it is when I am done. I will say that it is not for the sqeamish
  • new book i'm reading
    I am now reading a book called "arabian jazz"by Diana Abu-Jaber and so far it is interesting. Kind of a slow read, but it is good. I'll let you know my opinion when I am done.
    I just read most of "Buddhism for Beginners" by Thubten Chodron and it was short, simple (well as simple as you can be when trying to explain something so complex), and to the point. I enjoyed most of the read, but honestly got to some stuff I just couldn't wrap my mind around and stopped reading. If you're interested in learning at all about Buddhism though it's a good place to start. Also read a great one by Dinty Moore called "the accidental buddhist" and it was excellent. His writing style is unique and I loved it.

that's my update for now!
    blessings and happy reading!
  • I will read about anything! As I am on planes, trains, and automobiles so much I go through them pretty quick. I HATE to by new books as they are so ding-dong expensive, so I have a group of places to buy secondhand books. If they are real good, I will bring them home, if not, i leave them on the plane.

I just read my first Terry Practhett. I was dashing out the door at 4:30 am to catch the cab to catch the bus to catch the train to catch the plane...(how do those people do it???) and realized I didn't have a book to read. My friend grabbed the book "Thief of time" and said "not sure you will get into it, but its a good read,"
    well, I fell in love! what a world! and what a mind! Its like Hitchhikers guide as seen by monty python. I hope I can find more!

I also read Lovely Bones...interesting
    Find Me... suprising, I didn't expect the outcome.
    Lamb. A bit of a stretch, a story about the 'lost years of Jesus by his best friend Biff...a hoot!

I love Wally Lamb, when will he have someting new?
    and for those Nezheads out there (???) Michael Nesmith wrote a book called The Long Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora. strange and lovely book from a strange and lovely man.

I could go on forever...
    the oldest living confederate widdow tells all great read!
    all the sherlock holmes stories
    anything by Kurt Vonnigut
    well, you get my drift...
  • Okay I can tell ya'll a book not to read. Wifey by Judy Blume. I just finished this book and immediately tossed it across the bedroom. WHAT DRIBBLE! I won't even go into the weak plot.

Miss Chris
  • I've just started reading Michael Moore's Stupid White Men. It's nothing new to me, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it anyhow.
  • That is a GREAT book Ellis!!!! (Okay, now go rent Canadian Bacon)
  • I saw it at the video store yesterday and thought of you. However, as I'm completely wrapped up in the hockey playoffs right now (never watched hockey before in my life, but as we're beating the pants off you...), I thought I'd wait to rent it.
  • Ellis, I agree about the Hardy Boys. I have just read 2 Nancy Drews that my DDs recommended, and as a character on "Arthur" says, why are there TWO Hardy Boys and only one Nancy Drew? Because they can't handle the work load! (My sentiments exactly - takes 2 guys to do what one woman can do! sometimes more than 2!)

There are the ones where the Hardys team up with Nancy but I don't like them that much. And that dumb Ned Nickerson, he's been at Emerson College for only about 75 years! I don't think he even has a major or anything, but I could be wrong...

I have got a couple of books from the library on true crime cases in nineteenth century NYC, but I haven't read them yet. One is on the murder of Mary Rogers, which is the case that inspired Poe's "Murder in the Rue Morgue".

I love Jane and Michael Stern's books on food and/or pop culture, like "The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste"...and I love Alice Munro's short stories (this is the Canadian content!), and Margaret Atwood sometimes (esp Edible Woman, Alias Grace & The Robber Bride).

And I like kitschy 50s and 60s cookbooks/ entertaining books, the kitschier the better - like "The Joy of Jello" for example - MUCH better pics than "The Joy of Sex" by the way!

Lidian
  • the children's crusade
    My husbands uncle brought me two Kurt Vonnegut books, "Slaughterhouse Five" and "Breakfast of Champions"
    I got them yesterday and have already finished Slaughterhouse five, and am started on the other.
    I have been blown away. So far, so amazing. I don't know what took me so long to read his stuff before.
    I am hoping I don't get struck with another case of "one book was excellent and the rest are horrid" that's how I felt with Kerouac who was supposed to be so amazing.
    I'll let you all know.
    Anyone else read any of his stuff? I really enjoyed his theories on time and reality. Makes me think more about the movies we've been watching lately "Donnie Darko" "The Matrix" etc... as to what is our percieved reality and what is the true reality. Time travel, the concept of time in general...

any one have any opinions or thoughts?
  • Lizziness, I'm pretty sure that Dentrassi LOVES Kurt Vonnegut. Den?

I just read Constance Beresford-Howe's The Book of Eve. A fast read, but a good one. And Canadian.
  • Hey
    Breakfast of Champions is one of my favorite books!
  • I'm embarrassed to say... I read Slaughterhouse Five when I was 11 years old. I don't remember a thing about it. I was just devouring books at the time.