Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 15 of 24
Go to
  • Hello Beck friends

I'm up and at em, focusing on a healthy planned out day. I have a full schedule which starts soon, so I need to keep moving. *credit* for cleaning out the fridge and organizing the freezer this morning. I find I eat better when everything is tidied up. I got some cherries yesterday for an after dinner sweet tonight. My mini goal for today is to stick to planned eating 100%. I did great last night until after dinner....it was headed downhill, so I retired early. *credit* for recognition that I'm doing far better on my own this year making decisions regarding healthy VS not.

Have a great day everyone!
  • We had another boring day stuck inside the house watching it rain, but I didn’t eat out of boredom, so I’m taking credit for that. I was also stuck inside with a cranky DH who once again had to postpone moving cows due to muddy roads. I managed to resist the chips that DH was snacking on, so it was a good day. It was too muddy for outdoor exercise so I did my weights. That was my planned workout anyways, but if the weather was nice I probably would have skipped it for something outdoors. I’m hoping for roads to dry out today so I can get out and about.

I’m posting a link to an article I read about the importance of eating mindfully. It’s something we Becksters already know is important: http://caloriecount.about.com/love-y...eating-b425500.

New2me2, great job on your impromptu hunger tolerance exercise. It is an eye opener when you realize that hunger is not an emergency. Yay for the good exam, but ouch for the continued neck pain. Kudos for finding an exercise that you will do.

Seadwaters, sending your computer get-well wishes. Best of luck wrestling with the Green Book plan. It seemed complicated at first, but it doesn’t take long before you don’t have to think about it. There are some rather odd things in those lists. One of my options for a meal was 3 eggs. I had that and don’t recommend it at all! I also enjoyed the list of 50 calorie vegetable options. I never did try 1 cup of raw leeks or even 1 ½ cups cooked. So it does take some tweaking.

BillBE, kudos for a day with food and exercise OP. I was thinking of you while I did my lunges and tried to actually do them with good form. Thanks for the reminder that POW people have a different metabolism than NOWs. LOL at saying adipose instead of fat.

Beverlyjoy, great job using the 7 questions to resist over-eating. That “I can make it up later” excuse is a killer. Ouch for your $185 deal. I’ll have to look into our local dealership to find out if they have “ladies day.” Great job using your down time to get some Beck work done.

Lexxiss, kudos for getting organized and ready for a busy day. Ouch for your eating plan going down the drain in the PM. Evenings are hard for me to, but great job moving on.
  • Thanks BillBlueyes,
    Love my welcome sign. Thanks once again.
    I got on to Becks Diet for life through my physiologist. I have been overweight for years and have suffered panic attacks since early teens. Over the last 35 yrs I have lost 25 -40 kilos or 80lbs a few times but every time I lose it I don't like myself and then end up putting on more than I have lost.

So my psychiatrist who treats my panic attacks( Had some childhood issues) put me on to a psychologist and he has been working with me on learning to love myself. Then in December he went to a conference in America and saw Judith Beck. He was so impressed with her lecture, that when he came back and said he had found the answer for me. Once we had deal with a few more issue we would start on her program. You see I use Food as my Drug of Choice when I am feeling down. I use this saying a lot now because I realize this is what I was doing.

So 4 weeks ago I started on stage1. I am only allowed to do stage 1 at the moment because I really need to change my eating habits. I haven't been allowed to read stage 2 yet.He was the one who said I needed to find a one to one buddy on line. I only found this out by Googling " Diet Buddy wanted". I also have to report to him on line everyday.
    This is a great site and thanks to all of you for making me feel so at ease on here.
  • Our trip started with a family event that managed to be both boring and tense and ended, unexpectedly, with a family crisis. But, in the middle, we had a lovely day on Tuesday. In the morning, we took a 3 mile walk carrying packs with camera equipment around a picturesque, hilly, historic town, ending with lunch at a winery. In the afternoon, we relaxed in our condo with a hot tub and good books.

The family crisis is maybe going to turn out all right and we helped a little bit to push it in that direction. My eating went downhill as the family crisis ramped up, but I should be able to get back on plan today.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +25 860/1400 minutes for May, Food: 40%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Welcome to ThisTime7 and hello to everyone else!
  • Hi Beck folks - am back to catch up with folks.

Thistime7 - I am so glad you are talking about your program so. It is such a good reminder to me about distracted eating - especially the TV. I need to remember to turn that tv off when I eat. It will help me be more mindful of food, taste, and fullness. I was much more committed to doing this when I first start Beck - sometimes, basics are good! Congrats on your wonderful weight loss!

Shepardess - yes, not eating when bored is a major credit - well done. Good job on the weights. Thanks for the article. Hope the weather improves soon so you can get outside! Good job NOT eating dh’s ice cream. Sorry the chips jumped up at ya.

Lexxiss - good job getting (re)organized! It is so helpful, indeed. Having a plan to stay with during the day can be very ‘freeing’ - you don’t have to have those ‘what will I eat now’ thoughts spinning in your head because it’s already planned.

New2me2 - I am glad to hear you had a good check up….blood pressure, etc. I hope you can get your neck pain relieved quickly. Good that you got your hunger exercise done. You’ll be amazed how often you can draw on this experience.

Seadwaters - I am glad you are going to get your computer fixed! Many good credits and your honesty about what you are working on, too - is very good. You CAN do all this.

Billbe- good credits on food and exercise! Coincidentally, yesterday I was looking some info on the internet information about adipose tissue myself. It’s discouraging that those darn fat cells just deflate and don’t go away. They are ready to fill up with fat easily. Ugh.

Hope I didn't forget anyone. Shout out to anyone that stops by. Have a GREAT day.
  • Well, my day ended as well as it started yesterday. I did my planned exercise and even skipped a meal because I wasn't hungry.

This morning I'm down 1.2 pounds from yesterday. I know that was probably mostly water, but I'm going to try like the dickens to NOT gain it back, lol.

So far today I'm on plan. I have a meeting later...I've never been to one of these so I don't know if they serve snacks, but I have a really great boss who often thinks of us gluten intolerant people, so it's possible there might be. I wrote that possibility on my food plan for the day, and to make up for it, I've cut a little off my other meals. If they don't have snacks, I'm that much ahead, lol.

BillBlueEyes: Yes, I like adiposed much better than fat, lol. As far as the hunger, I felt it probably about the hungriest I’ve ever been except right before my surgery when I had to fast for two days basically. Still during the exam, it sort of diminished a bit, and then on the way home was definitely manageable.

Beverlyjoy: Good job on not overeating!! I’m beginning to see already the helpfulness of changing the way I think about food. I think that’s all Beck asks for, lol. The fact that you read your cards and did your questions is really great!

Lexxiss: Wow, credit for going to bed early, lol!

Shepherdess: Great job for a rainy day!!

gardenerjoy: Your walk around the historic town sounds wonderful!
  • Last two days have been OK. Walking the line. Mostly.

Epic day tomorrow, with a mountain bike ride, trail run and then an open water swim.

Anne
  • Friday night from my iPhone
    Hi coaches

a quick check in.

I have read my A&R cards; made a plan for the day; planned my food sort of (still organizing Beck menus etc); exercised twice today - one with physio and once in pool (I am now pooped); weighed myself (219 lb); and messed with the Beck green book.

Regarding doing conversions, I have an iPhone ap which converts weights, energy etc. So I have photocopied all the relevant pages and am writing translations on them. When I have my computer back I can post it for other metric folk

that's all I can manage on this phone coaches. Hello to all

Cheryl
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Flexibility bad news: At a fitness fair I was tested for flexibility. In that voice reserved for small children, idiots, and old people, the guy carefully explained which was my right hand, which my left and how to try to connect them behind my back. Ouch - they didn't touch, which he measured carefully with his ruler; I have some limbering up to do. Flexibility good news: In the same voice he carefully told me how to lower myself, "If I could." "Like a squat?" I asked, then squat right down on his silly ruler. "Oh," he muttered, and then in a human voice, "That's pretty good." My lunges and squats have paid off in my lower half; CREDIT moi.

Had a foil pack of tuna with my raw veggies for lunch; CREDIT moi. Noticed that an older pack was 3.0 ounces, the newer one was 2.6 ounces. Am I supposed to be less hungry these days? The package isn't marked NEW SMALLER SIZE WITH LESS CALORIES FOR THE SAME PRICE, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Well then, Kudos. Mostly. Hope epic day goes well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your photography hike sounds really fun. Ouch for family dynamics with Kudos for helping it to resolve.

Shepherdess - Ouch for rained out tasks, but Kudos for switching to an indoor workout. And Kudos for resisting the chips being munched in sight. Thanks for the article on eating mindfully - it's always good to read it again.

Beverlyjoy - Seven Kudos for doing the Seven Questions Technique on the Sabotaging Thought, "I can make it up later" - that's an insidious one. Ouch for the $185 car key; I'll be suing the dealership to make them instate a Gentleman's Day, LOL. Let's start a protest movement, STOP the adipose.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - typing quickly to fit the small screen of your iPhone, LOL. Kudos for double exercising.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yep Kudos both for making more healthy decisions and for giving yourself credit for it. Drooling for your cherries - I can have a hard time limiting myself to a modest serving of those.

new2me2 - LOL at having a boss who "thinks of us gluten intolerant people" - I guess we all are as in too-much-gluten intolerant, LOL. Hope your new meeting went OK.

ThisTime7 - Neat that you're working with a guy who was directly influenced by Dr. Beck. Like the thought, "Food as my Drug of Choice" - I can use that one.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 28
    Get Ready to Weigh In

Don't even think about trying to skimp on food today in order to have a more favorable outcome tomorrow. You need to squarely face whatever number you see on the scale. And eating too little today might set you up for going overboard in the following day or two.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 204.
  • Hi Beck coaches///buddies!

Yesterday I did stay in my calorie range....it was a struggle at the end of the day - but, I pushed through. I am so grateful that I could do so and had the beck tools to help.

I saw a friend yesterday for lunch. She has a PHD in psychology and works at a health center associated with a big hospital. Part of what she does in her work is with folks who are part of their weight loss program. They have a brand new approach to their weight loss programs - they have adopted many of the behavior principles of Dr. Judith Beck! She knows that I have been doing the Beck approach. It was very enlightening to discuss this with her. I told her what I have learned and try to incorporate into my daily life. I asked her about why the first book of Dr. Beck says to weigh weekly or daily and the other books encourage daily weighing. Of course, she said what I knew she'd say - 1. desensitize ourselves from the daily fluctuations of our body's weight 2. folks who weigh daily, in the long run, maintain their weight loss. 3. research on successful people in weight loss do weigh daily. Wow - this is a hard thing for me to swallow (excuse the pun). It kind of depressed me in a way. So, I will try and weigh more often - 2 or 3 times week and accept it. This is hard for me - it goes against all that I've learned or done over the years. Not weighing daily was one way that helped me to get rid of my scale addiction and all that goes with it. this was many years ago. But, I'll try and see how it goes.

I printed out the information from shepardess' link on mindful eating. (thanks so much for that link!!) I put it on a response card. I am going to try and read it daily...maybe right before I eat. I did last read it yesterday and before dinner - and dinner lasted 25 minutes.

I have much to do to get ready for the plant swap tomorrow. It's suppose to rain - but, we have a covered shelter. We've done several swaps in the rain over the years. We will put the plants out on the grass and use the shelter for the potluck. We aren't sissies!!! Yes, We have swapped in the rain before.

yesterday

eat slowly, mindfully - alot of the itme
    turn off the tv when I eat - some of the sime
    fork down between bites some of time
    eat seated only - all the time
    no seconds - all the time
    plan, log, measure, count calories - foods - all the time
    lots of water - yes
    stretches and strengthening - yes
    remember why - yes
    give credit - yes
    leave a tiny bit of food on my plate - yes
    taste the food - alot of the time
    made new response card on mindful eating

no spontaneous exercise
    arc/rc - no
    beck book - no

I'll try and get back later for personals. Have a great day.
  • Hello Beck friends

For the next 3 days I'm making a commitment to check in every morning and stay as close to plan as I am able. Several different dog related groups are coming together on Sunday to host a huge fundraiser/Pooch Parade to benefit a woman who lost her battle with cancer. We are finally down to the wire and its taken priority.
    *credit* for making it to the pool yesterday and today for water aerobics.
    *credit* for not engaging in mindless snacking.

Yesterday was someones birthday and they brought suprise cupcakes-the worst kind. I thought, I'm going to resist because the icing is dyed crisco. When the tray came around there were three apricots-the purchaser had remembered me. No one else took them, and I enjoyed them as an afternoon snack.

Have a great day everyone!
  • After lunch yesterday I noticed I was feeling full—not overstuffed, but definitely more full than usual. I realized my lunch had been bigger than usual. If I had been eating mindfully, I would have noticed, but I was engrossed in a good book. Oh well, I skipped my afternoon snack—wasn’t hungry for it anyways. So it all worked out and everything was on plan besides that.

I had a nice run yesterday. A killdeer was doing it’s melodramatic broken-wing act that struck me as funny. She was trying to get my dogs’ attention, but they were much more interested in splashing through every mud puddle along the side of the road. It’s a nice little reward to get a show with my workout.

ThisTime7, it’s smart to take some time in Stage 1. I, like a lot of people, was eager to get to the dieting and rushed through it. There’s a lot of important groundwork that sets you up for long-term success. I keep thinking I need to go back to the beginning and work on that early stuff.

Gardenerjoy, ouch for the family crisis and ouch for the stress eating that it brings. Glad to hear the crisis is coming to resolution. Kudos for getting back on track so quickly.

New2me2, great job getting your exercise and for paying attention to those hunger cues. Yay for 1.2 lbs down, water weight or whatever, it’s still nice to see!

Wndranne, good job doing the balancing act and walking that line. Yay for the weekend warrior’s epic day. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Seadwaters, great job with two exercise sessions. No wonder you’re pooped. Looks like a good day with lots of credits.

BillBE, I thought these days portions were all growing. Too bad the healthy stuff is shrinking and the junk is getting “value sized.” Yay for all those lunges and squats giving you good leg flexibility. The upper body flexibility can be a summer project.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for using those Beck tools and getting through a tough day. Good job experimenting with the weigh-ins. I like the daily weigh-ins, but in the end, you’ll have to do what works for you. Yay for a plant swap that ain’t for sissies.

Lexxiss, the Pooch Parade sounds like a great event. Great job getting in your exercise on a busy day. Yay for someone remembering you and bringing a healthy treat. LOL at dyed Crisco—my favorite kind. I wish I could resist as easily as you!
  • Bill - my understanding is that if you've fab upper body muscles, it's difficult to touch hands over and under your shoulders. This is based on info supplied by my tennis partner* 20 yrs ago who'd been playing for years. *partner is a very grand word for it. We used to knock about a bit. So that's probably what's going on.

Have had a blinding insight based on a post elsewhere on the site. I overeat when I feel Resentment. Now I've managed to Name That Feeling I can work on the eating, incident by incident.

to all. Your posts are so helpful. Thank you.
  • Yay, this morning I reached my first goal. I have now lost 5 pounds since starting the Beck book! I'm trying to decide what charm for my bracelet will best represent that. My friend and I decided on a whim to go on vacation in just over a week, so maybe I'll look for something there. Maybe an eagle to symbolize freedom.

Speaking of vacation, I'm already planning how to manage that. I definitely want to keep my Beck principles so I'm going to take the book, my diary, cards, etc., and I'll do a quick check-in here as many days as I can. I think this will be an EXCELLENT chance to practice my hunger tolerance, lol.

There was no snacks at the meeting yesterday, so I was that much ahead, and had a pleasant surprise when I was hungry later in the evening, then realized that not only had I not had that snack in the meeting, but that I had written a little protein snack for the evening on my plan and would get to eat it. Yay, credit, lol.

Exercise: 30 minutes of kickboxing (DVD)
    Response and other cards: yes, twice and wrote them in my notes on iPhone
    Made and followed my food plan: yes
    Spontaneous exercise: walking up the stairs to my floor at work
    Ate while sitting: mostly (still find myself taking that first bite of my meal before I get to the couch, lol)
    Ate slowly and noticed each bite: still working on this, I did slow down and at every meal put down my utensil(s)

Shepherdess: credit for noticing though! Sometimes I eat automatically, without ever noticing.

Lexxiss: ooh, good way to think of that frosting, lol! I like it! Yay, for co-workers who think of us!!! Great job on eating the apricots instead of the cupcakes!

Beverlyjoy: Wow, you are my hero, lol. I don't think my dinner has ever lasted 25 minutes. That will be a new goal for me!

Bill: Ouch on the flexibility, but great job on the lunges and squats!

Cheryl: 119?!!! Wow, that's great! Great job! Good job on all that exercise!

Anne too, wow, the exercise you do amazes me!
  • Still don't have my food where it needs to be to lose weight, and so I'm stuck. But I know what to do to get going -- a better place to be than the last time I was stuck.

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +60 920/1400 minutes for May, Food: 50%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

wndranne: hope your big day of exercise and adventure goes well

seadwaters: glad your doing well with food and exercise and even managing to post from your phone

BillBlueEyes: LOL at your description of the fitness fair "expert."

Beverlyjoy: what a great experience to talk with a professional using Beck techniques in her work

Lexxiss: good job on going for apricots over cupcakes

Shepherdess: love the show you got during your run!

silverbirch: that's a powerful insight to be able to name an emotion that leads you toward overeating

new2me2: congrats on your first goal!