Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Hi Everyone,
Had another good day today and only ate planned foods. Now gone 4 nights and no food in front of the TV. Though I did give in last night and had an apple in the family room (no TV on) but this eating it with my left hand is hard to get use too.
Credit- Refused mud cake in art class today.
Went out with friends for tea and only drank water.

New2me2 Well done on your first goal.

Shepherdess: Good thinking to go without your afternoon snack, glad it worked out

Lexxiss, That great your friend remembered will have to teach my friends. Are you involved in the dog world as I am here in WA

Beverlyjoy, Good on you for staying in your calorie range. The scales are a problem of the opposite for me; I want to get on them a few times a day when I am dieting. Have them where I pass them all day. Have been learning to do it only once a day and the temptation to get on again at night is strong but I have resisted. I find it funny recommending to weigh in everyday as most diets say no, but my counsellor said it would make me see that your weight fluctuates up and down.

Gardenerjoy: Well done on your 3mile walk that would have counteracted the downhill slide

BillBlueEyes: Yes we have that same problem in Australia packets going down and prices going up.

Seadwaters Thanks for looking at the conversions, I probably could use my phone I was just being lazy and seeing if there was a key on here when you filled out you Ticker.

Cheers
ThisTime7
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have a pocket of time to sit while I ice my foot/ankle. It's a good time to catch up here.

New2ne2 - wow, skipping because you weren’t hungry is major. Good for planning for a possible snack at work. So glad to hear about your being five pounds down! You said - Speaking of vacation, I'm already planning how to manage that. I definitely want to keep my Beck principles so I'm going to take the book, my diary, cards, etc., and I'll do a quick check-in here as many days as I can. Major Credit for planning ahead! It was helpful to me to do that when I traveled last winter.

Wndranne - walking the line is better than being off the line. Enjoy your outdoor time!

Seadwaters - you’ve done so much! Many credits to you. I am glad you are able to keep in touch via your phone. Credit for making it work for you!!

Billbe - In that voice reserved for small children, idiots, and old people, the guy carefully explained which was my right hand, which my left and how to try to connect them behind my back. Sounds like this guy was the ‘idiot’! Glad your lunges and squats were good. All that work at the gym really does pay off. I’ve also noticed that many foods are changing quantity but not price. That has come into play a couple of times when making a recipe that calls for a ‘can or box’ of this or that.

Lexxiss - your pooch parade/fundraiser sounds so good! It’s nice to be part of something special like that. WOW - how nice to have the apricots available instead of gooey cupcakes. Credit to this person and you for letting this person know.

Shepardess - credit for skipping your snack because you ‘just weren’t hungry’. I think it’s a major step in a healthy approach to food to be able to do this. Well done! I’ve seen a killdeer to the ‘decoy dance’ too. It’s fun.

silver birch - being able to ‘name that feeling’ is so good and important. I am glad you stopped by!

gardener joy - even though you are stuck - I am glad to hear it’s a better place than last time it happened. Try and plan for a healthy day - I think it’s all we can do while we figure things out.

Thistime7 - I am very intrigued by you eating with your left hand. I think, of course, it would make you eat slower and more mindfully, I guess. Keep us posted on how that is going. How long will you need to do this. Credit for not watching tv while eating. You are inspiring me to be more careful about this! Thanks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-21-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday

Hi coaches
I am amazed at how much I can eat on 2000 cals. Let's see if I lose weight - today I was up .8 lb but that doesn't mean a lot. I will see how it goes over the month. I agree with Shepherdess - it is probably better to keep a
paper journal for planning and logging food as I will have a reference for future meals so the computer dying may be a blessing. I am also forced to find other things to do with my time - don't realize how much time I spend at the desk. Today is a bit off plan and I am having no exercise. The rest is nice. I am planning meals and shopping so hopefully the rest of the week will go smoothly

ThisTime - I too am from Australia and I have decided it is easier to do weight and signature in lbs - shows changes more quickly too! But the Beck green book meal plans are all ounces / pounds / calories which is a bit challenging. even a US cup is different! Most books these days have metric and imperial. Maybe the next edition. Certainly not on the website but I might email her.

That's as much mini typing as the fingers can cope with coaches.

Cheryl
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #229  

Hi seadwater,
Yeah it certainly sounds a lot more in pounds I think I will stick to that on line once I get my Ticker, still got a couple of weeks to go. Yes the recipes in pound is a bit of a hassle, like you say the normal have both in international books. Going to find a conversion chart and put in the back of my diary for quick references. Like your carrots for every 5 lbs I might have to follow you in that as it looks great.
Cheers ThisTime7
Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #230  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

Hi all Out of hospital now, thank goodness Bit of a bum though, I'm not allowed to so much as go out in public in case I catch something and get an infection for a while...argh! Also, I'm not allowed to do exercise or anything that gets my heart going for 2 weeks meh. On a lighter note, looking through my Beck book it looks like I have been doing the tasks in days 7, 8 and 9 naturally through dieting anyway, for example, as soon as I started dieting I changed the bowls I was using to smaller ones so my portions looked more satisfying. I also naturally plan ahead and have oodles of time for dieting (being a student n' all!). I think I'll pause my progress through the book now until I can get back to exercising in a few weeks and just keep up with the tasks so far.

Still steadily losing weight (yay ) so I'm all good at the mo.

Will check back soon, hope everyone is well.

Jo x
Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #231  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Spent two hours at an evening meeting with a table of snacks in front of me having planned in advance to use NO CHOICE, which I did. I kept telling myself that it was pretty mediocre food and that I had a California Navel Orange at home for my evening snack; CREDIT moi.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I worked harder on form in my lunges feeling rather pleased that I had aced the lower body flexibility test the previous day. However, I didn't do anything about the upper body flexibility - gotta get myself back into a Pilates class or something to work that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for stuck; Yay for knowing what you have to do this time around.

Shepherdess - LOL at the Killdeer doing its broken wing thing while the intended audience ignores it. Good job having an immediate response to a larger lunch; my take is that's what Beck suggests thin people would do; maybe it's creeping into your brain.

Beverlyjoy - My take on the weighing daily is that it's a personal choice. I do it daily because I have to see a string of numbers before I believe I can estimate the right value. A single reading doesn't particularly move me one way or the other since I believe (read it on the internet) that about 13 pounds of matter goes in and out on an average day and that most days aren't perfectly balanced. For folks who take each reading very seriously, less often than daily would seem appropriate.

Yep, we've been hit with the "many foods are changing quantity but not price" mucking up our recipes. DW had worked out her recipe for cranberry relish based on one pound bags of fresh cranberries. They re-sized to 3/4 pounds and oranges don't come in 3/4 units, LOL.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yep, 2000 chosen calories can be a lot of food. Congrats on finding the silver lining for a failing hard disk.

silverbirch - "Resentment" is such an insidious feeling; Monster Kudos for outing it and giving it its name. I have that one big time and don't usually spot it until I wonder why I've already eaten in a situation that I usually pass without difficulty. For me, it's the little bitty resentments that have impact - the big ones I can see and know to wrestle with. And thanks for the suggestion that one contributor to inflexible upper body is muscles; I'll savor that for a spell, before I look in the mirror, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - I am so stealing "the icing is dyed crisco" - that's priceless. Yay for dried apricots - real food - with Triple Yay for having only three, since a whole bag of them is also real food but not likely on-plan, LOL.

new2me2 - Yay for your 5 pounds mini-goal with Kudos for planning a reward. I'm a big fan of the soaring Bald Eagle. Planning your eating before a vacation is so Beck!

ThisTime7 - Huh? "Refused mud cake in art class today." What does are class make mud cake out of? Yay for continuing to eat with your left hand - that would sure get my attention.

Readers -
Quote:
day 28
Get Ready to Weigh In

Once I learn to use the scale
as information to guide my efforts,
dieting will be easier.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 205.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #232  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks -

Yesterday was on plan - am grateful for that. I am off to to the plant swap. It rained all night - but, looks like we might dodge the rain today. Time will tell.

I've planned to have only ONE take at the potluck table - make healthy choices and have one cookie -if anything like that. NO CHOICE to things I don't NEED. My friend is making a hot pasta dish. So I can have a spoonful of that and my healthy veggies.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-22-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #233  

S/C/G: 214/210/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm totally new here....I've got the books, got the desire and am going to dive in. I'm not even on day one yet, but will get myself in gear and post here.

May take me awhile to poke around and see where to post what, but count me in !

I'm a 66 year old grandmother of 2 boys, teach horseback riding as my retirement job, live in Pacific Northwest ( Eastern Washington), married 40 years this July, and generally of a happy disposition. I have type 1.5 diabetes, which complicates the dieting, but makes it more mandatory than ever.

I'll figure out how to get an avatar and get a signature line later I guess.

ponee
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #234  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Lost my entire post! Oh, well (Beck technique). I read everyones posts, and I'll retry from memory-a condensed version;
*credit* to everyone today for continuing to practice tasks designed to help us lose weight AND keep it off!

ponee, Books and desire to dive in are a winning combination! I've been here just long enough to get through the individual days just once, and am finding the steps very helpful. Best wishes to you. Do you live in fruit country?

BillBlueEyes, I'm enjoying my navel orange right now! Love them!

Beverlyjoy, good luck on your plantsale/potluck

ThisTime7, thanks for sharing your tasks. Great that your counselor got to hear Dr. Beck and bring her ideas back to you. What dog activities are you involved in? Mine go to the hospital for visits and I work with a rescue group.

jynx, sending patience your way for quick recovery!

seadwaters, great job with exercise and posting from your phone.

gardenerjoy, *credit* for noticing your better place.

new2me2, where are you going on vacation? *credit* for your first Beck mini goal.

silverbirch I love blinding insights and happen to be looking for one right now!

Shepherdess, enjoy your weekend! Your weather must be improving-ours is! What is your altitude? I'm at 5500 and BTW consider you to be right over that North hill!

wndranne, how was your triathalon style workout? Epic, I hope.

I hope I didn't miss anyone, I'm finding a little distraction factor as it gets nicer outside. I've already had two mini walks this morning, one with each pup, the first was also a pre-dawn lilac raid. I don't think my neighbors mind. Our whole valley smells of lilacs and fruit trees and I'm going to enjoy a bike ride up to a yard sale very soon. Eating is mindful and not too bad during a very hard time. My friends memorial is later this afternoon. I will do my best today.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #235  
Green Tomatoes

I basically got myself back on track yesterday, even if the scale didn't show it. And today I have a written plan -- one that does not include eating anything at this morning's Flowers and Food Festival that I'm going to with a friend. I'll shop the flowers, but window-shop the food.

WI: +0.3kg, Exercise: +75 995/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ThisTime7: great job resisting mud cake. Around here, we have something called Mississippi Mud Cake -- I wonder if it's the same thing. At any rate, the stuff is practically lethal, so I'm very impressed that you resisted.

seadwaters: thanks for continuing to check in despite your computer challenges.

jynx: glad you are out and doing well! Could you do some low key things that make you feel like you're exercising but don't raise your heart rate -- some light stretching or easy yoga poses?

BillBlueEyes: yay for using NO CHOICE -- I'll think of your example at the Festival this morning.

Beverlyjoy: hope your plant swap was goes wonderfully -- it sounds great!

ponee: welcome!

Lexxiss: sending you warm and healing thoughts today -- good for you for seeking out distractions in nature.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

My run yesterday was made more exciting by a new pair of running shoes. I dont know why a new pair of shoes can boost my motivation to run, especially since they are the same make and model as my last two pairs of running shoes. I guess its just seeing clean shoes on my feet.

We had a celebratory dinner last night with DHs family. I avoided the appetizers and desserts that people kept insisting I needed and stuck to a salad for dinner. I would normally allowed for something extra, but DH and I were meeting friends afterward for a glass of wine. I followed my plan for those two events. We got home way past my bedtime and I was pretty hungry. It was a legitimate hunger since the salad was smaller than my normal dinner. I wound up overdoing it on crackers and hummus. Ive decided to make a rule: No eating if its past my bedtime. Even if I do have a legitimate reason to eat something, like last night, I am too tired to make rational decisions about food.

SilverBirch, great job naming that emotion. I should pay more attention to my emotions and find patterns like that. Im never good at paying attention to my emotional states.

New2me2, congrats on reaching that 5 lb goal! Your vacation whim sounds like fun. Kudos for planning ahead so you stay on track.

Gardenerjoy, its great that you know what you need to do to get unstuck. I think thats one of the long-term Beck benefits, that getting back on track becomes easier and easier.

ThisTime7, great job on 4 days staying on plan and for no more eating in front of the TV. It is so easy to overeat with the TV distraction. Kudos for skipping the mud cake. Im assuming its different from the mud cakes my nieces and nephews like to make, LOL.

Seadwaters, its great that you are being so rational about your weigh-in and are giving the diet some time to see how it works. One thing I like about the Beck approach is how it encourages experimenting. Its not about the quick weight-loss solution; its about finding out what works best for your body.

Jynx, glad youre out of the hospital and giving yourself the time to recover. Yay for already doing the Beck tasks and I think youre smart to stick to what you have been doing so far until you are fully recovered and ready to move forward.
BillBE, kudos for sticking to that NO CHOICE. Its a powerful response if were willing to use it. Yay for the fitness fair giving you an extra motivation to do those lunges. Thanks for the encouragement that I may be picking up some thin thought patterns.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for multi-tasking and posting while youre icing your foot. Crossing my fingers that you will have clear skies for your plant swap and hoping you bring home lots of fun things for the garden!

Welcome Ponee! I love that youre so eager to jump in. I grew up in E. Wash in the little town of Brewster, so youve just made me very nostalgic. Its a great part of the country! What is type 1.5 diabetes?

Lexxiss, ouch for losing your post. Ive had to start writing my posts on Word and cutting and pasting them to the website because I lose my posts on a regular basis. Were at about 5500 ft. here as well. The city of Casper is just over 5000 and were just a bit higher out here, which makes our everything out here bloom two weeks later than in town. Sending you a hug while you attend your friends memorial.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #237  

Hi guys,
Hope everyone had a good day. Went to dog show today and didnt take my food, managed to get a roll for lunch, even though I was freezing and the hot food at the shop looked inviting. Use my thoughts to steer away from it. Got another show tomorrow so have made lunch already so that I cant say I dont have time for an excuse in the morning.
Have gone 5 nights now and no eating after tea in front of the TV. I cant believe that I have managed to go that long and only one night I had a planned apple.

BillBlueEyes: Well done on not eating the meeting snacks. Love that mud cake in art I didnt realize when I wrote it, they did have clay there to. LOL

Beverlyjoy: What is a plant swap probably will ask question like this a lot as our terminology is different down under.

Ponee: Welcome. I have only just joined recently too and found this forum great and informative. It makes me accountable to online buddies and coaches.

Lexxiss Good on you for keeping yourself distracted, the dogs would be good for that. Thoughts are with you as you go to your friend memorial. Annoying you lost your post. Just going into winter here in Perth, I would love to be in your valley with the smell of the lilacs and fruit trees. I am involved in showing Labrador Retrievers and in the guide dog program.

seadwaters: Where about in Sydney are you. Have you been able to buy a calorie book here in Australia as I only have a very old one and all the rest are kilograms. Hope you sort out your computer problems.
jynx, Hope youre on the mend. Good time to get into the books while you are laid up.

Shepherdess Thats one of one of my bad habits Shepherdess going out and doing the right thing, then I come home late and get into crackers and dips. I call myself a cupboard eater as I am so well behaved when I am socializing then come home and go for it. This is one of the reason my counsellor has me eating with my left hand and in the family room if I want after tea snacks. I call myself a cupboard eater like the Alcoholics I do it when no-one is watching.

Gardenjoy Yes our mud cake is lethal, I think it would be the same as Mississippi Mud Cake.

Cheers ThisTime7
Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 214/210/180

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the welcome. I am in wheat and lentil country, south of Spokane.
Very rural and no humidity in the summer !!

Type 1.5 diabetes is LADA....Late Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood......so I am insulin dependent, not insulin resistant. My Mom got this at age 41, and I got it at age 58.

So far today I've not read while eating breakfast, left a bite on my plate ( for the chickens), and kept track of calories. This is a first for me. I have to monitor so many things, but I can do it !

ponee
Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #239  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good evening all! Had a great day today! Was down almost half a pound, had a great massage and my neck feels MUCH better after a painful couple of days. I stuck to my food plan, even had to cross something off, lol. Every Saturday I spend the morning with my mother and aunt. We always go to the same store, and that store has a Starbuck's in it. I wrote one on my food plan for today, but as fate would have it, today they wanted to go to a different store, lol. So yay, cross off. I could have stopped on the way home, but just decided I could wait for another day.

No exercise today...taking a rest day to give my neck a good chance to calm down.

gardenerjoy: You said: But I know what to do to get going -- a better place to be than the last time I was stuck. Wow, that's a huge credit!

ThisTime7: You are doing so well with no food in front of the TV!! Great job! And, OMGosh, huge credit for refusing mud cake!!!

seadwaters: I hear ya on the wasting time at the computer thing...

jynx: Glad you are out of the hospital and hope are feeling good. Congratulations on steadily losing weight! That's the best way, lol.

BillBlueEyes: Wow, wonderful job at sitting in front of the snack and sticking to no choice!

Beverlyjoy: Your plan sounds like a good one. Having a strategy for potluck is a really good idea!

ponee: WELCOME!!! I've only been here a couple of weeks myself. Great job on leaving a bite and keeping track of calories!!!

Lexxiss: I'm going to Alaska on a cruise. This will be my second time there. We went in September of last year and I loved it even though it rained most of the time, lol. The forecast is cold and rainy this time too, but I'll be prepared. Your lilacs sounds WONDERFUL!

Shepherdess: I find new workout wear motivating I think. Maybe it's a little symbolic to me of starting fresh, even if I've been steadily working out. Great job on resisting the food pushers!! Ouch on the crackers, but now you know and you've got a great plan!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #240  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome ponee

ponee

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find the Beck books?

And how did you find 3 Fat Chicks and this thread?
Closed Thread