40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 12 of 81
Go to
  • Good Morning Ladies,

I lost half a lb when I weighed myself this morning. Its certainly better than nothing! How often is everyone weighing themselves? I have been doing it every mornng, just to keep myself motivated to keep my eating in check. So far I have been losing a half a lb or a full lb every day, so it is fun to wake up and see. I keep dreaming I am going to check the scale one morning and like, 50 lbs will have melted away. HA!

I've lost 13 lbs so far. I started on Aug 27. But so far, no one has noticed, which is discouraging. But that is probably because there is so much of me, and I prefer my clothes to be loose. Anyone else waiting for someone to notice all your hard work?
  • Hi all and to Ottoetto (Kim), beatlekids3 and FitinTime! Glad you're here. We are a pretty friendly bunch of ladies.

Kim -- I laughed at your "allergy to exercise". I used to be like that until after I had my first kid. (BTW, I'm newly 47 w/3 kids ages 17, 14 (special needs) and 10. Married 20 years) I started doing Firm tapes and riding a really lame exercise bike after she was born. It took me a long time to get in the habit of exercise and I've fallen in and out of it over the last several years but I always find that once I put my mind into, the rest just follows. It actually makes me feel good when I'm done. When I'm doing it? Some days are better than others. Start slowly and build up. It will get easier.

beatlekids3 - I love your Plankton pic! I know what you mean about not wanting to run into people from your past and have them see you now. Friends from long ago moved about 15 minutes from us last year. I've yet to see them even though they've invited us over a few times. Hubby (who actually knows them more than I do) goes but I just keep thinking "when I lose another 10 lbs; I just don't want them to see me and think 'ooo, she got fat'." I know it's not logical but that's how I feel. Yeah, like they haven't changed in the past 15 years or so! I also see pictures of me from my past when I thought I was "fat" at 130. Boy, I'd give my right arm to be that "fat" again!! LOL

Allison - I got a kick out of your post. Amazing how when turning 30 or 35 or 40 seemed a big deal and you look back and realize how young you actually were. I'm expecting this trend to continue on. And how 'bout the lack of gray hair back then? LOL A year or so ago I let my oldest daughter color her hair. She wanted red hair; it's hair and it grows out; I said fine. She did and about a month later she said she needed to do it again. I was like "what do you mean? You just did it". She said "but mom, you color your hair every month". My reply? "That's cause I HAVE to"! Kids! Have you tried reading a thesaurus w/out those darn OTC reading glasses? Everytime I do I hear Lindsay Lohan's character from "Freaky Friday" screaming "OMG, she's BLIND!!"

FitinTime - we can do this; all of us. Support is so helpful. One lb. at a time, right?

How did everyone do w/the mini challenge of losing 1 lb. by the end of this week? I think Diane (Slashnl) was the one who said that Christmas was 17 weeks away and that if we all lost just 1 lb. a week we'd be 17 lbs. lighter by then. So we started a mini challenge of losing just 1 lb. a week. I'm happy to say that I'm 'one pound down'. Don't know how 'cause TOM decided to pay an early and putzy but lengthy visit --- but I'll take it. I've been fatigued and have had crummy sleeping the past week but I'm off to my beloved TM for some heart accelerating fun anyway. Then some weights. Then may move some furniture around, walk the dog. Wow, my life is boring!

Have a great weekend all!!!

Jo

P.S. I haven't seen Kimush at all either. I'll post another PM to her. I wish that little sheeba would come back!
  • Hi Jo.

On the challenge I stayed the same this week.

What's sleep? I'm definetly in that hormonal lack of sleep phase. Every night it drives me mad.
  • Welcome to the new people (and the returning ones!). Glad to have you join in!

Ah yes, the pictures. I have one of me in college that was amazing. A FLAT stomach. Wow. And like everyone else, I thought I was fat then.
  • Jo~no gray hair here yet, but then I'm blond so it would be hard to see if there were any. I've been coloring my hair for 4 or 5 years because the blond is going darker and darker, although I got tired of having to do it so often and have actually added more brown to the color rather than just the blond highlights. And the reading glasses only come in handy when I need to see the phone book (so far!).

Today, DD and I are driving to Fullerton to take a tour of UC Fullerton. Currently it is her #1 choice for college, but she's also going to apply to UCLA, USC, Arizona State, UT Austin and UC San Diego.
  • Allison are you going to visit all of the schools?

I enjoyed going to the schools with my oldest when she was deciding where to go.

It's such an exciting time and made me feel like going back to college.
  • Hey all, just a note to let you know that I'm going to be gone for most of the week. I have to go to Denver to a seminar for a few days. I hope everyone stays on plan, including me!

Have a great week.
  • Hey There Everybody...

This is a big hello to all the newbies and oldies...

Oh my gosh it has been like a million years or so! I hadn't disappeared but I had computer problems, and then got this new computer which as been so hard to get used to...and then my holidays started with much upheaval and we left early for my holidays due to family illness with my family in New Jersey! So now I am back and trying to figure out my computer again!

I was away in NJ and NYC for just over 3 weeks...and I gained 7 lbs ...Considering all the eating I did I was really pleased that it I didn't weigh more as I was not very disciplined...So now I am on track and eating heathy! The one thing that I was able to maintain while on holidays was getting in my steps everyday. The one day my daughter and myself walked just over 25000 steps as we walked from Port Authority to Central Park and then took the subway to Bleeker and walked all over that area (Washington Park, Union Square) and over to Canal Street...

Hope all is well with everyone! It looks like I have a ton of reading so I will and tomorrow!

Take Care and have a Good Night! (I just couldnt' resist he is so cute!)
    Kimush
  • Words Of Wisdom
    Ladies,
    Just thought I'd post some words that were good for me to read. Hope you find them helpful.
    Cammie

Bob Harper On...
    ...food
    • If it grows out of the ground, or you can pick it off a tree, chances are that it's good for you.
    • Eliminate the problem. Get rid of temptation foods in your house. Don't even bring them in.
    • Add a little Crystal Light to your water for a sweeter taste.
    • If you don't have measuring cups available, use your fist to figure out correct portions. From chicken breasts to veggies to fruit, just about every portion you'll eat is the size of your fist.
    • Make dining a pleasant ritual. Sit down and enjoy your food rather than eating on the go.
    • A great appetizer to order at an Asian restaurant or a sushi bar is edamame, steamed soybeans. They're delicious, and you can fix them at home too. Just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, then sprinkle a little sea salt on them, and enjoy.
    ...exercise
    • Thinking that you can't get in shape because you don't have two hours a day to exercise is just another excuse for doing nothing. Start small, because small can only get bigger. Starting big means burning out, blowing out, getting injured--another reason you might quit altogether.
    • When Michael Phelps is in the pool swimming, what is he thinking about? He's thinking about one thing and that's swimming faster. When Lance Armstrong is in a race, what is he thinking about? Pedaling faster.
    ...motivation
    • It is never too late to take charge of your life.
    • Use a food journal to keep track of what triggered you to overeat--negative emotions, stress, a celebration, or being with certain people. Identifying these trigger situations will help you put a stop to them.
    • The main thing is to make peace with your body now, before you try to change it. Accept where you are at the moment. Okay, you're overweight. But how great that you've decided to do something about it!
    • My clients, particularly those who have to lose a lot of weight, are often very angst-ridden when they start. They say, "You're going to take away the food I love! You're going to make me do things I don't want to do, which is why nothing has ever worked for me!" I try to get them to relax. This isn't about beating yourself down but lifting yourself up. It involves realizing why your eating has gotten out of control and starting to think about food differently. I teach them how to work their favorite foods into their plan so they don't ever feel deprived.
    • When you find yourself thinking, I'm going to get an ice cream cone because I've had such a bad day, just stop. Take a moment and ask yourself, Am I really hungry? Do I really want this? Why do I want it? The pause gets you thinking instead of simply acting on impulse.
    • Losing weight and keeping it off means balance, not going without treats for the rest of your life.

Jillian Michaels on...
    ...food
    • Losing weight is not about starving yourself; it's about eating what you want, with certain modifications.
    • It's okay if you don't like spinach or broccoli. You don't have to eat it. Find what you like and make it work for you.
    • If you don't have time to get in the kitchen and prepare a meal, cook in bulk. In other words, prepare a bunch of food that you can eat over the course of several days. Or prepare several full meals, put them in plastic baggies, refrigerate them, then reheat them in the microwave when you're ready to eat.
    ...exercise
    • Exercise becomes fun when you become physically capable. When you can look at yourself and say, "I'm a kick boxer" or "I'm sprinting 11 miles an hour," that when exercise is fun.
    ...motivation
    • Sometimes you've got to have hit bottom, like realizing you can't play tag with your kids without getting out of breath before you decide to improve your level of fitness.
    • You've got to be able to love yourself before you can really get in shape. Start acknowledging your own achievements and stop looking for external validation. It isn't about your boyfriend being proud of you or your dad being proud; it's about feeling good and right with yourself.
    • If you're prone to emotional overeating, identify what is happening psychologically, deal with that situation, verbalize your feelings, and address that issue rather than turn to food.
  • Hi Kimush good to see you back.

Cammie some good ideas there. I like the point he made about not bringing the food into the house if it's a problem. That's what I do. It's all right if it's not open but once that bag of chips gets opened up forget it.
  • Hey all, just popping in quickly. Cammie, great stuff. I really relate to the 'impulse' eating thing. If I just stop for 5 seconds and think about if I'm really hungry or not it helps so much. That mindless, zombie like state of just grabbing and munching away is my nemisis.

Today is the first day in well over a week that I feel like myself. The fatigue and interruption of sleep due to TOM is bad enough but I always forget that it takes me at least 2 weeks to acclimate into the school routine. The first two days of school are fine then the reality of getting up at 5 a.m. sinks in and man on man, it just drains me until I'm up to speed.

Don't know if anyone else visits Skwigg's Blog or not (I got the link from here awhile ago). She seems like a terrific lady and is hilarious. I posted a Q/A from her site on motivation. Just wanted to share. Her site link is: http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/ Browse around there; good stuff.

Hey Kim, so glad to see that you made it back here!!! Looking forward to catching up!

Jo

"Motivated or Not Question

Q: I have one question for you - How do you always stay motivated to exercise and eat right? My motivation decided to leave me (I think it went on vacation) and I have no clue when it will return. Summer is almost here and I still can't get it together!! Just want to know how you do it!

A: Ah, this is one of those things that I guess nobody tells you. Motivation and will-power are totally useless. If you think they're required and you wait around until you have them, you'll never succeed long term. You'll only succeed for the month or day or minute that you can keep it together. I'm not motivated to workout, not at all. I don't put that much thought into it. ****, half the time I'm not even awake yet. The workout is over before my brain is alert enough to question the idea. Fitness is part of my day like brushing my teeth or going to work. I do those things whether I'm all excited and happy about them or not.

If I have one secret to share, it's that I don't allow myself to even start that inner dialogue about whether I'm going to workout or not, whether I'm going to eat well or not. It's a given, not something that's up for debate every morning. Some days I'm eager to train hard and eat well, and some days I'd rather poke an eye out, but either way it gets done, and I at least TRY to have fun.

Your plans will be ruined most of the time, so always have backups. If you can't follow plan A, have plans B, C, and D to fall back on. Don't get stuck with a "perfectly or not at all" mindset. You can always do something. Do a 7-minute bodyweight circuit instead of an hour-long weight session, eat three bites of pie instead of the whole piece, go for a walk instead of feeling guilty about skipping the gym. Create enjoyable habits that you can carry out to some degree even when you're a basket case or life is hectic. Don't wait around for some day in the future when you'll get motivated enough to really deprive and annoy yourself."
  • Inside my mind
    Hi Ladies,

Jo- I really like that philosophy. The reality is, when working out is "part of my life" then I feel healthier (whether I lose weight or not). If I eat and sleep, then I should also work out. As for going to work...well, someday I plan to retire and not go to work. But I still plan on eating and sleeping, therefore, I also plan on working out.

Did anyone else watch (or tape) the Biggest Loser last night?
    I did.
    I stayed on my cross trainer last night while watching and this morning while watching again. It made 25 mins go by pretty fast and (I have to laugh) the "suspense" created by the weigh in made me go faster.
    Plus, taping and watching allowed me to fast forward through the food commercials.
    (Aside) I mean, really, do I need to have 5 Arby's sandwiches for $5.95? I don't think so! I've decided I'm going to make up my own words to the commercial so that I can say I don't want the 302 calories per Arby's melt at 36 carbs per sandwhich multiplied by 5 (1510 calories; 180 carbs) showing up around my waist. If I gained the calories from just commercials, I'd have gained an entire roll of fat last night! (I really do like the Jamocha shakes but at 498 calories and 81 carbs for a regular size shake - I can't handle it.) Now I'm thinking MY commercial words are: "Arby's 5 more pounds for $5.95...I too can to pay good money for more fat rolls or another chin."
    (Back to the Biggest Loser) I think I'm going to pretend I'm on Jillian's team (the concept of everyone not really knowing I'm in the competition seems better). Maybe I'll be that surprise contestant when it comes down to the last 6 people.
    So, y'all are my team...I promise to electronically yell "Push yourself! You can do it!" to anyone else who would like to participate with random "BL 40 something team" encouragement.
    I realize that I may not see progress like anyone on the show. In fact it's highly unlikely since I already eat well and exercise. I might not see a scale victory for months. My victory will be in continuing to do the right thing for me which includes eating healthy and exercising daily...
    Anyways, I need to go apply my bizarre way of thinking to work.
  • I missed the Biggest Loser last night. I was hoping it would be repeated on one of the other NBC channels but no luck finding it.

I bought some of those new glad ziplock baggies for vegetables. Heven't used one yet.
  • Hi there ya'll, just want to say hi today. I have been on my latest "diet" for two weeks now. They say hope springs eternal and so I keep trying. Today I found this website, and having never tried to diet in a group (or with support) I thought at the ripe age of 47 I'd try to see if it helps any. As you can see by my weight loss tape, I have a long way to go. for the 4 pounds I have lost so far, as one time I managed to gain weight on a diet, that was weird and very discouraging. . Do you find eating breakfast helping to keep late night binging down? I tried for 47 years to not eat breakfast, but these last two weeks I have been making myself eat at least 500 cals within two hours of waking and it seems to be helping.
  • Hi fluffymae welcome aboard. We're a friendly bunch.

Pop in and chat anytime about anything that's on your mind.

We're at about the same numbers. I was 230 at my heaviest. That was 7 years ago and find it very difficult to lose weight at the minute.

Good luck with the weight loss. You'll get lots of support on here.

Meant to say eating breakfast does help to stop over eating mid morning or at lunch time. You know what they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day

I don't know about those night time munchies. I think a lot of that is habit.