Old 08-19-2001, 10:12 PM   #16  

Default Ohayo Gozaimasu (Good Morning)

or Komban wa (Good Evening for all of you)

--Well, I just woke up this morning (I am 13 hours ahead of eastern time, and 16 hours ahead of Pacific time) and I am quite sad. I GAINED 1.5 pounds which puts me back up to 186.5. How depressing. I admit I have been a little discouraged. I don't understand. Everything has been the same. And to gain 1.5 pounds in a single day!!! I bought some Chromium Picolinate a few days ago, and I plan to start that today. There is one thing that I made yesterday which may be the culprit- low carb peanut butter pie, but I had 2 and half pieces! That may be the it, but I still don't understand how I can gain 1.5 pounds in one day. Oh well.

--Karen.... Irasshaimase!! or in English- Welcome! I have heard of the Carbo Addicts diet by the Hellers right? I recognise it by the reward meal plan. Have you heard of Atkins? Maybe that reward meal is pushing you out of Ketosis.... just a thought. I hope you like it here!

--Well, I better go so I can mope around the house.

--Sayonara

Last edited by Kirei; 08-19-2001 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:53 PM   #17  

Default Okay.... I figured it out....

How stupid could I be? My husband and I got together all of the ingredients for the peanut butter pie. We added up all of the carbs, and then divided that total by 8, since I divided the pie into 8 pieces. We figured out that each piece is 10 grams of carbs.
Yesterday I had 2.5 pieces of pie= 25g... 2 Atkins bars= 7g... 1 cup of coffee w/ extra creamer= 10g..... For a total of 42 grams of carbs! Shame on me!!! It really adds up if you don't pay attention. A lesson learned! I do feel better knowing why though. Does this mean I have to start Induction all over again?
Kirei
Old 08-20-2001, 12:42 AM   #18  

Default CAD

--Karen.... Irasshaimase!! or in English- Welcome! I have heard of the Carbo Addicts diet by the Hellers right? I recognise it by the reward meal plan. Have you heard of Atkins? Maybe that reward meal is pushing you out of Ketosis.... just a thought. I hope you like it here! >>

Konichiwa!

(I'm not fully sure that's right... but I'm learning!). I'll be traveling to the Nara prefecture in late October (in time for the fall foliage festival!) to perform a wedding of a dear friend! I'm looking forward to the trip (although... NOT the plane ride, especially at my current weight!!!).

Yes... it's the Heller's diet. I can't do an "all protein" fast or anything that would put me into ketosis due to problems that I had while on Optifast a number of years ago. However, my Doc has okayed this plan, and so far so good (if you don't count the lack of weight loss!)

I'm paying more attention to what I'm eating at the reward meal, and am finding I'm beginning to choose smaller portions. My hunch is at this point that I'm simply eating too much at dinner, and that I need to pull back a bit.

We'll see. Giving up is NOT a consideration.

Thanks to ALL for the great welcome!

Karen
OP - 7 days
Old 08-20-2001, 07:59 AM   #19  

Default [COLOR=red]PLEASE HELP!!!!!![/COLOR]

Hi all!!

My name is Hensa I have been posting on the PCOS Support group, I have started on the Atkins diet 6 days ago, following the rules for the (Introduction/Induction) first 14 days. My schale shows NOTHING LOST SO FAR!!!!!

When will I start loosing weight only after the first 14 days

I must admit I am no longer feeling hungry ALL the time and have more energy.

PLEASE share your tips and some recipes with me I really need to make this work I am desperate

I have tried every diet you can imagine low fat, WW, ect.... without any long term success

I know now that I have an insulin intollerance because of PCOS.... and hope this will work

My current weight is 216lb I would like to bring it down to 128lb is it possible on Atkins?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 11:58 AM   #20  
JHP

S/C/G: 351.5/201/136

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning!

Haven't posted in a while - hectic toward the end of the week at the office, and very busy weekend. Was a bargain shopper this weekend. Bought a $50 pair of shorts (size 10!) for $12.28, and 2 $50 sweaters for $16 each. I just love a bargain!

25 - Glad you had a great vacation, & way to go for staying on plan! I know how hard that is.

Kirei - I suggest that you stay away from the legal treats (cheesecakes, Atkins bars, etc) while on Induction. Keep it as simple as possible (meats, vegs) for those two weeks, then gradually add in the treats but only occasionally. When you start to add carbs they should be mostly from veggies.

Terri - Sorry about DH. Hope the second surgery is successful. Don't forget to take care of YOU!

Casey - Welcome!

Hensa - Welcome to you too. It is definitely possible to lose 88 lbs on Atkins - I've lost 162 since June 10, 2000.

Sue - If I'm the Jennifer you were wondering about (who has one lb to goal), I did lose 1 lb this week, but I still have 30 more to go. In my dreams I have 1 to go.

Hi Pat!!

Have a great day everybody!

Jennifer
Old 08-20-2001, 12:49 PM   #21  

Hello All!!!

It's been wonderful to read your success stories, and I must tell you that I have learned much from reading this post. Before I go on, I'd like to share my story with you:

I'm 48 (soon to be 49 in December) and I have had some miserable times in my life. I broke my back in January of 1982. I've been married 5 times, and my mother and late husband both committed suicide. I thought I would never get my life back on track, but have finally done so.

Eight weeks ago, I started what I call my life change program. I decided that the Atkins program worked for me before, I could do it again with as much success, only this time, I'm staying with it. For the last 7 weeks, I have been totally on the program, I have lost 47 pounds, and my husband has lost 48. I have 34 more pounds to lose (hubby has around 20), and I am excited!!! I am 5"10" and weigh 199 (YAHOO...finally broke from the 200's!!!).

Pat: I understand stress and lack of sleep very well. Often being in pain, I'm stressed, and I only sleep a couple of hours at a time. Fortunately (and unfortunately) for me, I can't work, and only have my hubby to worry about (my kids are grown...3 sons, 31, 29, and 26). All we can do is to take it one day at a time. Each morning is the first day of the rest of my life.

Kirei: I am also a scale watcher and make no apologies for being one. I need that little boost to help keep me going. I had plateaued for about 8 days and finally this past week lost 6 pounds. I know that I have some food allergies (mushrooms made me gain 10 pounds overnight, cheese made me gain 6...so it has really been a battle with the food allergies), but this time, I'm not sure what I ate that disturbed the program for me. As for your weight gain, you may well have taken yourself out of ketosis (or you may have a problem with eating cheese). If I were you, I would go back to the induction plan (but I am really hard on myself). Don't be discouraged, though...what goes up must come down!!!

Nasus: I also love this program and want everyone who need to to be on the program with me. Being that my husband suffers from hypertension and diabetes, this program is now a lifestyle for us. I don't mind not having all those carbs, but occasionally do have cravings...pizza, tiramisu, cake...but I don't miss those pounds that I have lost, and all I have to do is think about the scale rising even the littlest bit and I am convinced to stay on program. I have just included chromium on my grocery list hoping it will take away those urges just a bit and I've also included potassium...hubby has been complaining about his legs feeling sluggish.

tornadoterr: My prayers for you and your husband that the surgery is successful. Hang in there...you will be hooting and hollering about your weight loss, too.

25: Congratulations on staying on program while on vacation. Hubby and I take mini-vacations and eat dinner out often (we have no children living at home). The restaurants here are very good about accommodating us with our program. We tell them ahead of time to not put breads on the table, and all of them have steamed vegetables that we ask for in place of potatoes, rice, etc. We have also informed the whole family that we're on this plan, so they are careful to make sure that when we visit, that we are able to stay on program.

Karen: I would also suggest that you drink lots and lots of water. It does help to clean out the toxins in your body. For your reward meal, only eat until you are comfortable...never until you are full, and I believe that this will also help. Just hang in there and I'm sure you will see the results that you are looking forward to achieving.
Quote:
Remember...you are the daughter of the Heavenly King...that makes you a Princess!!! Feel like one...look like one...carry yourself like one!!!
Well Princesses, way to go on working on your own life changes and to those of you who have been able to stay on program and have found the scale going in the right direction (even staying still is promising). I wish you all success with whichever plan you have chosen. Now I am off to the grocery store to keep with the program.

Lee
Old 08-20-2001, 03:12 PM   #22  

I have a big OOPS...Hensa, I am so sorry that I missed your call for help. It definitely is possible to lose all your weight on this program. I have led many people to the low carb program with much success since 1995. There was only one person who didn't stay with the program and that was because she ate several LARGE meals a day, and she kept sneaking a "few" beers every now and then.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Are you drinking diet sodas, coffee, or maybe using many sweeteners? Maybe there are some hidden carbs that you are unaware of. Read your book again (if you have one) regarding problems with losing weight. But most importantly, hang in there!

Jennifer, you hadn't posted by the time I finished earlier. I can't imagine being a size 10. My lowest might be a size 12, but more likely a size 14 I wear an 18 now.

Good job on finding bargains. I know you couldn't find any bargains like that when you were 162 pounds more than you are now. What an inspiration you must have been to eveyone on the message boards.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:27 PM   #23  

Default I'm Back .....

Man...I have felt SOOO guilty not checkin in everyday
Its so weird how I could get attached to you all and this support thing so fast.
There was a weekend festival in the town where my Curves is and I had to work it all weekend.
25- I don't know HOW you were able to resist the funnel cakes! I ate FF AND a funnel cake on Sat. and on Sunday, I ate FF and Kettle Corn (sweet popcorn).
I was wearing my "Curves" shirts and everytime I ate something like that I felt sooo guilty and ashamed! I HID the funnel cake in a box and tore off small peices so no one would know....how sad is that?
One lady asked me how much wt. I had lost and I told her I wasn't a good one to ask...I'm telling you. It's sooo depressing My sister/partner was able to tell her she's gone from a tight size 12 to a 7 in 2 mos...(I HATE her! )
Well, I'm trying to make today a better one. Plus, we are doing a 30 day challenge from Sept. 10-Oct 10. I want to do it with the ladies and prove it to myself and others I CAN.
Thanks everyone, for listening and sharing.
See you tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2001, 07:35 PM   #24  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Wow minday brings many people out of the wood work. I am so glad for mondays!!! And so glad to see so many new faces. welcome to all!!!!

MUM2five well we may slip but the thing it to remember to get right back up and do not look back. you ate at a weak moment, but now get back with the program. you really want to lose the weight. I had a hard time with that at one time too. (and still do) it took such a great effort to get wholly with the program, what you may want to do is bring up your meals on fitday.com you may be taking insomethhing that could be triggering cravings and helping you fall. i know that you really want to stay OP and the desire is there but like an alcoholic it is hard, and something is drawing you to it. i think that it may help to really do strict for a while till you get the carb monster out of the hoooouse. cheese, nuts, diet foods are some that cause cravings to some. I have the tape ready!!!! we wont get you to a size 7 in 2 onths but we can get you down there in time!!!! the duct tape is ready

Paula welcome it is so great to have a veteran of the diet here with us. (I know that jennifer and i have been doing it for over a year but more minds the merrier!!!) you have been doing absolutly great. WOW! I know the feeling of breaking the 200 mark (twice ) but am down there to stay . you sure have had a tough time of it haven't you? Is Dh looking over your shoulder when you post??? If so say hi to him, and he can join if he wants how is dh's health these days being OP?

Kieri that my have been water. there is no way that you could have taken enough food to put on the weight. just hold on and drink drink drink and that should be off in a day or two. during that time concentrate on the types of foods that your put in your mouth. do you really want to eat it???

Jennifer I am glad that you are not going to leave us. that was my fear that you would have been at goal and not continue with us. glad to hear that you are sticking it out. I am sorry that you still have 30 left, but i am sure that you have done so great that will be off in no time. you sure are a bargain hunter wow what deals.

hensa I do not know too much about pcos. but i do know that it is much harder to lose the weight. your body will take a bit longer to respond to the diet that most. I am sorry to tell you that. and you will lose a little slower, but you WILL LOSE. and that you can not do on other programs. you will need to concentrate on smaller goals, and be more strict with your program to get the great results. if you are not as strict you will still get results but a bit slower. do not get discouraged by my words, there are many here that have pcos. i know a great gal that had been posting in the 100's club with pcos and doing atkings and she did great, it took her a bit longer to get started, but it was well worth it. the bigest thing is to drink water and tons of it the best thing that you can do is drink your body weight in fluid onces of water. try to stay away from the diet drinks. give it some more time, the weight loss will come. do not jump on the scale till the end if the induction period. hang tight. and keep on posting.

one more thing there is tons fo menues in the low carb recipe section, jusr click on see all. for days. and there are many low carb sites that have recipes out there. I can give you a bunch if you want

I almost forgot Pat, Terri how are you guys doing???

I aslo was going to posst my menues

b-can of tuna w/ MW
s- atkins strawberry shake
s- 1 serving peanuts
l- can of tuna
d- shiskabobs

exercise oliptical for 30 min /367 cals

Last edited by nasus40; 08-20-2001 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:47 PM   #25  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

Wink

Hello Buddies!

Still trying to get "caught up" from being on vacation. Kinda hard as we had a reeeealy busy weekend! Saturday was a "Block Party" in our neighborhood. My area was in charge of deserts. I brought cakes...but did not eat any! I did manage to enjoy 2 yummy cheeseburgers without buns and some broccoli salad....(broccoli with cheese/bacon/mayo.) The strawberry jello pretzel salad was SCREAMING my name but I managed to ignore it. I watched as every member of my family ate it and I thought...."I just gotta share this moment with my buddies!" I was good!

Yesterday I hosted a picnic here for my hubby's family! The menu included chops, ribs, corn on the cob and salad. Apple pie for desert. I wanted the corn sooooooo bad...but resisted temptation again! I could manage 1 ear if I was really careful with the carbs...but much like a drug addict...it would not be worth it in the long run. Who knows what it would do to me! I am working toooooo hard to screw up now!

Back to work today! It was crazy! After being off for a week it took 1/2 the day to go thru mail and the rest to "attempt" to find my desk! Tomorrow is another day.........and I hope to be back in the swing of things by Wednesday! A few co-workers who have not seen me for awhile mentioned how much they liked my "hair." (I got 3 inches trimmed off...it is now shoulder length.) I do not think it is my hair that looks that much different..I think it is the 26 pounds I lost...but I did not say anything. 26 is alot...but when you are 5'9" tall and still have 80 more to go....perhaps they did not notice...or did not want to draw attention to a weight issue by asking if I dropped a few tons! Anyway, I took the "hair" compliments as a sign that I look BETTER...so THAT'S COOL!

nasus...perhaps it was your bad "corn experience" that kept me away from it! Corn is what they use to fatten hogs! (Why the heck does it taste soooooooo good??????) Glad to hear you are doing well. You always keep me hopping!

mum2five....I more than likely gained a pound just SMELLING the funnel cakes! I have pretty much decided that all carbs are POISON! I would not eat draino...so .......well, you get the picture! Get on this thread more often so you can get the support you need to be successful! (I can duct tape your butt to the wagon if you want!!!)

paula...your weight loss with Atkins is very inspiring! I also SWEAR by the program! (Congrats to you and hubby for the "tonnage" taken off!) I can not wait until I can click the scale down under 200! I have not been in the 100's for a veeeeeery long time! I am a size 18-20 right now and will also be happy in a 14. Anything smaller than that will be a bonus! (I may become a stripper if I get down too small...woooooo hooooo!)

jhp.......your weight loss numbers still amaze me! I have been reading the Atkins book more and more and see that the science makes sense! Thanks for the kudos about staying on plan over vacation. You deserve kudos for staying on plan over a year! ((((KUDOS)))

Hensa...DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! The weight will come is SPURTS I promise you. You have been getting some excellent advice so far. May I add that you may be a little CONSTIPATED in the beginning of the program. (That could account for some weight.) Drink lots of water......eat romaine lettuce......avoid too much cheese....stay away from nuts......cut down on bacon......EXERCISE! Give the scale some time. I went almost a month PERFECTLY on plan and lost only 5 pounds! But I have taken off 26 in 8 weeks...so it DOES come off. (Time of month can screw things up too.) KEEP ON PLAN.IT WORKS!

Casey...soon 7 days will turn into 7 weeks! Stay on plan one day at a time and you will have success! So glad to see you posting here!!!

kieri.......YEP..the carbs add up! (Can you IMAGINE what you were eatting before getting into Atkins and a low carb lifestyle???) Don't beat yourself up over it....you are right....lesson learned! I echo the advice given. Stick with veggie carbs only for awhile! I try to do that so that all my FAT CELLS think that the carb party is OVER and LEAVE!!!!!!

terri....you are doing a great job! Funny how "cake" doesn't mean that much anymore. UNLESS IT IS FUNNEL CAKE..........(Sorry....I am still smelling it from the boardwalk!)

fralick...thanks for the welcome back and congrats on the "vacation weight loss." It could have been ugly girl....let me tell ya!!!

Hope I did not miss anyone. If there are any LURKERS out there who are on LOW CARB...or want to give the LOW CARB LIFESTYLE a shot...please jump on our wagon!!! (You have nothing to lose...EXCEPT WEIGHT!!

YIPEEeeEEeEeeeEEeEeEeEeEEEEEEEE!

Last edited by 25_HOPEFUL; 08-20-2001 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:58 PM   #26  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

25 i clicked send and then remembered that i had not asked you how things were going. You are so great. I can not believe that you passed the corn on the cob. I am glad that i helped you with that. You are just ripping girl. WOW I am sure that your dazzeling smile and new haircut just threw those girls off with the weight loss. A stripper???? well.............. I could join you I hear they make good money
Old 08-20-2001, 10:27 PM   #27  

--- I just had a light bulb moment.... that day that I ate too many carbs, I also ate 2 Atkins bars.... and I just read they are made with soy protein. Well, guess what... I am allergic to SOY!!! Does eating something you are allergic to make you gain?
--- Anyway, the scale is back on the downward. I think I just got too excited about all the recipes and all. I'll stay away from those until I begin maintaining.

Kirei
210--185.5--140
5'5"
Old 08-20-2001, 11:18 PM   #28  

Good evening!

I ended up having to go back to work tonight and came home too keyed up to sleep. Hubby suggested herbal tea and "chatting" on-line as it seems to relax me. (He's so sweet. ) I'm sorry I haven't posted lately. We moved to a new building last week and the prep for the move and the adjustment in my family's schedule (longer commute) proved to be extemly stressful. Add days that hit high 90s with high humidity (I HATE the heat -- I get sick every time) and I found myself giving in to carb urges.

Too hot to eat? Make a sandwich or a bowl of cereal.
Feeling stressed? Have some ice cream or the home-made
zucchini bread your neighbor brought over as a thank you for
babysitting.

I've been too afraid to get on the scale. I'm waiting until Friday to do that. I am back on program as of today. Feeling more energetic already! The fact that heat wave has FINALLY left us doesn't hurt either. Of course, that GD weather man says it's going to heat up again at the end of the week.

I was thrilled to see all the "losers" in this thread. You are a great group of people. So supportive of each other. Even when one of you makes a mistake you offer advise rather than criticism. Very nice!

Well, gotta go now. I'm finally feeling relaxed enough to sleep. It's 11:40 PM here and the alarm goes off at 5:00 AM.

Old 08-21-2001, 03:03 AM   #29  

Hallo all!

Thank you for the wonderful responds I received from all. I am only drinking one cup of decaffeinated coffee per day and I drink about 2.5litres of water a day. The problem could be cheese. I tend to snack on cheese; perhaps I should leave it for a while? I walk on my healtwalker for about 20 min 3 times a week.

I think I have lost some centimeters because my tummy is flatter and my underwear is feeling a bit more compatible. Overall I feel allot better.
I have a big problem with water retention, I think that is why the scale does not move!

At the end of this month, 31 August (9 days) we are going camping for weekend and I would like to have lost some weight to make me strong and committed to stay away from all the carb’s that’s going to be there.

Something I notices this morning, because our cafeteria at the office is only selling things like sandwiches, scones, cakes pies….. ect, I pack my lunch at home and in the past I had a bag full of fruit, sandwiches ect to keep me satisfied (and despite all the food I were hungry by the time I got home at five). Now I have one lunch box for the whole day and in the evening I sometimes are not hungry at all!

You are really a great bunch of people.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Buy Buy
Old 08-21-2001, 05:54 AM   #30  
Work in Progress

Hi all!!!,
Tuesday morning. And it rained again. It must have remembered how. I swam again yesterday. I am so glad I chose to do this again. I have many co-worker supporters in my new journey. I must remeber to let them know I appreciate them.

A big welcome to the newbies.
I suffer from PCOS. And after a cardiac event this summer. I started doing some internet research. And concluded that I suffer from insulin resistance. In the middle of july ( after much research and soul searching) I started a low carb woe. I base my intake on the glycemic index. ( iI keep to foods less than 50). I will see an endocrinologist in Sept.

Suggetstions to newbies. These things helped me in teh beginning.

I have to keep things simple. So in teh bigginng I focused on portions and meal planning. I styayed away from fried foods. HI cal dressing. These things are still high in cals. I read labels. I drink tons of water. Any carb I ate were complex carbs, high in fiber. My day would usually be

1serving Kashi cereal/skim milk
1 piece of fruit.

1 chef salad or grilled chicken salad

1 serving lean meat', salad and serving of veg.
diet jello w/ low cal cool whip.
exercise 5 days aweeks

Take supplements

Take your measurments

Don't weigh yourself more than once a week.

I found that this woe was so different from the way I was eating taht I really had to concentrate and plan. It meant researching, menu planning, shopping planning. So for me teh simpler teh better. The first 2-3 days involved some carb withdrawel. I also found taht the couple of times that I strayed off plan weren't worth it!!. I have to accept that my body can not handle carbs. It was worse than any hangover I had. NO lie!! That is why the plan w/ teh reward meal( if I understand properly) wouldn't work for me. It would send me into a spin which i would have to recover from. I do believe that each of us has differing sensitivities or tolerances to carbs, which makes the many different low carb plans wonderful. I guess my suggetsion to everyone is keep plugging until you find the plan that suits you and your body.

I want to say that I have only been doing this since the middle of July, This is what is working for me right now. I am by no means anexpert. Just don't get discouraged. It does work.

I have run out of time to do indi's will be back later

Pat