Old 05-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default LC CHAT Week of May1-7

Woo-HOO! Lookie who's starting the weekly thread.

I've checked in several times today but I see that nobody has bothered to post a new thread. I hope everyone is ok.

I worked at my club's garage sale today but only lasted the morning. Business was very slow (probably too much competition) and we didn't need as many as showed up.

I'm still low carbing and it's getting easier every day. Finally starting to feel a bit more like myself. Boy was I ever bloated, tired and grumpy!

Ruth, I hope you're feeling better. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Top of the mornin' to you Linda and all to come.
Another sunny day here and I tell you there will never be enough of them to go around! The derby party was BORING! I got stuck with this one woman who talked about her children the entire time, when we moved on to dinner i got the last chair NEXT TO HER!!!!
I was glad to get home.
The boys great grandmothre is her, I am going to hit the eliptical and then we are going to the gem and mineal show before she goes home.

have a good day,
-L
Old 05-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #3  
workin' my way back down

Morning chickies........... LindaBC, wow! I'm impressed that you got to start the thread! I'm glad that you're finding it easier to get back to LCing - what has helped you the most? I really need some help here - any suggestions gratefully accepted!
L - sorry about the bore........ at least you'll have a lovely day today at the gem show!
Busy weekend here. Went to a lovely bar mitzvah yesterday (oy! the food.......... ) and today we have been invited to go to brunch at their home with all of the "out of town" guests (that's 'cause we live sooo far from them - they are our next-door neighbors!! ) - that means bagels, etc today - MOST DEFINITELY NOT LOW CARB! oh well..... I need a good swift kick in the seat to get myself back on track - any takers out there?
The weather here looks to be so-so, well, at least it isn't raining yet - gotta look on the bright side, I guess. Well, time to get moving - hope everyone has a terrific Sunday..........
Old 05-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! I'm loafing in bed and drinking water today but am getting a craving for a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon! I can't seem to shake this damned cold but will go to the doc tomorrow if things don't improve. I refuse to be sick in May!
I was to go to a Christening and party this morning but opted out. No way I want to spread this thing around, especially to kids!
This afternoon I'll make some chili for supper and do my pre-Gail tidying.
It's going to be an easy day.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #5  

Good morning Linda, L, Sono...Oh, Ruth you snuck in on me! drink tea and put your feet up!

Starting off a little slow this morning. My shoulder is stiff from working in the yard yesterday, but I did finish a section that I wanted to get planted. There is an ugly proken up cement patio in the corner of the yard, kind of out of sight. But it would look pretty if there were flowers growing between the cracks...other than weeds! So I planted allysum, purple and white... hoping it will look like a pretty rock garden and not a pile of rubble!

It is kind of cool and overcast today- not great. I am settling for getting some food prepared for the week, and we're caught up with wash for once.

Sono, thanks for the traffic warning- I think it was enough to discourage DH from the trip into the city; I think we won't go, but are leaving open the idea of a later quick drive in at 3 or 4 or so.

Not much else. I am down ONE pound. This is very discouraging, as I have been eating salad, and very light meals...but Linda, as you say, I do feel much better, and the longer I am LC, the easier it gets. For some of us, that is all there is. I just have to get it through my head, over and over again. I am so discouraged by my weight night now, and also that I have been so physical- working very hard on the weekends, and evenings, and still not loosing. Well, I am tightening up this week. I even made bacon, a sure sign of LC recommitment!

well, off to put the laundry away. This is the last load out of the dryer and I may reward myself with a trip to the mall!

have a great one,
dottie
Old 05-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #6  
Slimwithin

Sono, I think what has helped the most is how lousy I was feeling with those extra 12 pounds hanging off me. I think a lot of it was fluid retention and it was doing something to my lungs making it hard for me to take a deep breath. Some nights I had to spend in a semi-recline position so I could breathe. That's scary. I also had that near faint last weekend and my doctor is concerned about possible strokes, etc which has scared the crap out of me. Fear is an incredible motivator, especially when a person isn't feeling too hot to begin with. To help me ease back into low carb, I delved into my stash of Meridia capsules. They don't kill appetite but they do help you feel full much quicker.
It's only been one week back on lc but I've already lost 5 lb and I'm back under 280. What a relief!
I really have to start planning my menus better though. It's always nice to be prepared in advance and I've been lax about that lately.
Ruth, take it easy. The world won't come to an end if Gail has to do a bit more than usual.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #7  

Oh, Ruthie! Take care of yourself - don't rush the recovery. Melis and Bry woke up on Friday morning with bad colds and have been suffering this weekend. Melissa had a choir trip to go to on Saturday all day long (6:30 - 11:30!) and pushed herself thru it. I don't think she got up until noon today. Bry and Cody went fishing with their dad in the mountains all day long (they left at 7:30 a.m.) and Bry was feeling pretty punk, I guess. He had tournament team practice today but we cut it a bit short as he is still under the weather.

Linda - I'm glad that you are starting to lose again and feeling better. Keep up the good work. And please keep posting what you are eating and any other tips you have - that kind of motivation is what I need to get my butt in gear.

L- Sorry you had a boring time at the party. So sad! I would be upset about that since I don't get out to stuff like that very often and then to have it ruined by a boring person. Hopefully you can salvage the weekend by having some fun at the gem show.

Dottie - That was a great idea you had about planting in the broken up patio! That sounds like it could turn out very pretty. You are very ingenious (sp?). Hope you cooking goes well - such a good idea to start the week out prepared like that.

Sono - Sounds like you took my advice and had some fun this weekend! Good for you! Hope you got some rest in too! Our weather is hot, hot, hot already - I could go for some so-so weather again about now....

Well, my girl's weekend was great fun. We just hung out and gabbed most of the time. One of the gals has a 10 month old baby girl so we were a bit housebound but that was fine since it gave us an excuse to just be lazy and giggle and talk. I got there about 7:30 Friday evening (after getting dinner for the kiddos, etc.) and spent the night. Called the kids early in the morning to make sure they got up and going since they all had to be ready early for their day plans. Then I spend the day with the girls and headed home at around 9:30 since I needed to pick Melissa up at the high school at 11:30. I had called the boys at 7 and they had gotten home and already had a pizza delivered to munch on. (very resourceful, I thought!) So, it was a good weekend all around, I believe.

Got oodles of laundry to work on so I better hit it. Chat at ya tomorrow.

Kel
Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #8  
Slimwithin

Kel, I'm not eating anything special. This morning I made myself some of the bacon rind pancakes which I had with butter and Atkins syrup. That held me long past my usual lunchtime. For lunch I had some deli bbq chicken and a cup of raw cauliflower and some sliced red peppers dipped in mayo. Not very creative, huh? I had about 3 tsp of low carb ice cream and 1 tbsp of low carb p.b. to top off my lunch. It's now 5:45 and I'm still not hungry but I do have dinner in the oven. I'm making German Beef Rouladen in gravy. I will have the rolls without gravy while Peter has them with Braised Red Cabbage and German Potato Dumplings. Here's how you make Beef Rouladen (I know there are lots of variations on this recipe but here's how Peter's family taught me how to make them.
You buy the ready-sliced top round steak. They are thin slices already rolled up in the meat market. Unroll each slice and spread with yellow mustard like French's or your favorite mustard. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with diced side bacon (raw) and chopped onion. Put a lengthwise quarter of a dill pickle at one end and roll up the meat around the pickle, securing with a toothpick. Dredge in seasoned flour and brown in hot fat in a frying pan. After browning on all sides, add a bit of the dredging flour to the pan and brown. You can also add chopped onion. Make a gravy and put all in a casserole and bake at about 300F for 1-1/2 hour. To save carbs you could eliminate dredging in flour but it does make them nice and brown and yummy.
I will have asparagus with mine.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #9  

Those sound yummy, Linda!

What I meant about wanting you to post what you eat was not to imply that you were eating anything special/magic but just that I have always found your meals, when you describe them, to be varied and interesting. Like I said, it INSPIRES me! lol

Kel
Old 05-03-2004, 06:55 AM   #10  

Default Moan-Day!

DH is gone and I am getting ready for work. I have bacon and egg for b'fast, tuna and hb egg on romaine for lunch and sliced swiss and turkey and a LC yogurt for snacks. I will probably eat every bite of it as I am still hungry alot. Yesterday was hard, we both were feeling tired and discouraged...too much work, too little play!

Rented "Lost in Translation" last night, in hopes of a break, but I didn't really like it that much. It was OK, but Oscar? I don't see it. My neice wanted me to go see "Mean Girls" and I should have. It would have been more fun, but I knew I still had a lot of stuff to do last night and wanted to stay home. Hit me over the head the next time I choose chores over fun with the little one.

Kel,your chicks weekend sounded great. You must have nice friends. And it's good that your kids are big enough to leave alone. I'll bet it was fun.

Well, off to the showers...and a new week. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, nice to have something to look forward to! Ugh. Well, I won't eat much afterwards, anyhow!

have a good one,
dottie
Old 05-03-2004, 07:02 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Gail comes in an hour so I am madly Fly-ladying in all directions. Cold has improved but H. has it now! Catch you later.
Linda's rouladen is great, by the way!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #12  

Default Tuesday:

Ok, I am going to post everyday to keep on track. Food yesterday was great except for a beautiful moment with some ice cream in the afternoon after the dentist. but it was worth it, and calorie-wise, for the day should still be OK. That's how good the day was overall!

Today:
b-1 egg, bacon
s-swiss cheese
l-pork chop&green beans
s-lc yogurt
d-? maybe a burger and salad

Things are quiet at work this week, and last for that matter. Rare, but I figure, enjoy it! I had time to read a bit, balance my checkbook, pay bills, stuff like that. I am tempted to take a day off to play, but I am saving vacation days for the week I'll need for the bathroom redo, early June I think. So just hanging on...I need some spring clothes, but am waiting to see how long I can hold out. If I could loose even 5 lbs it would get me into last years khaki's. I hate to shop for clothes!

Ruth, glad you're feeling better-
Hi Linda, how was yesterday?
L, Sono, everyone else, have a great day!

dottie
Old 05-04-2004, 06:53 AM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Morning,
Off to take the kids to school and then home to use the eliptical. Pull up a chair and join me for a cup of coffee before I have to go.
-L
dottie and everyone else
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #14  
workin' my way back down

Happy SunnyTuesday morning chickies.......... looks to be an absolutely gorgeous day here today. Yesterday wasn't too bad, eatingwise, (except for the (really teeny) portion of mac'n'cheese at Boston Market!) and I plan for today to be better - see, I CAN think positive! I'm with you, Dottie, I HATE to shop for clothes! I don't think that anything from last year will fit, tho - maybe if I do something wild - like "extreme makeover" show, my clothes will fit by this weekend? do you think? oh well, maybe I could find one or two things really cheap to work until I can get some of this weight off - even tho I really really really hate to do that <sigh>

Dottie, I saw "Lost in Translation" in the movies - I must admit that the most positive comment I heard coming out of the theater was "well, it wasn't that bad!!. I really hated it and wanted to leave, but thought that my friends were enjoying it - turned out NONE of us wanted to stay! And we paid $9.50 EACH to see the darn thing!

L - thanks, the coffee maker here just beeped, so you can join me for the second cup!

Ruth, glad you're feeling better, but sorry that H is now down with it. How is he doing? How are the girls? and VERY IMPORTANT... how is your back deck? having morning coffee out there yet?

Kel, glad you had a great time with the girls.......

LindaBC, I'm going to try to follow your example - after all, those symptoms can describe me too! The shortness of breath and pounding heart are starting to scare me! I wish I could make some of your recipes, tho -- but I keep kosher, so I don't use pork or shellfish and I also don't mix dairy and meat products.......... oh well, maybe some of them will be adaptable! Whatever it takes, I'm just gonna have to try to get back with the program.

Well, now that the coffee is done, the laundry has to go into the dryer so that I have clean scrubs to wear for work today (fortunately I don't have to leave until 10!!)....... so, I better move it. Have a great day all.......
Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #15  

Happy Tuesday all!

Sunny and warm here today (afraid that is going to be the forecast from now until, oh, maybe November?) and fire season has already started. Don't worry about California breaking off and falling into the ocean, we will be burnt to smoldering ashes long before that happens!

Well, the cold that 2 of the kids has took a turn for the worse for Bry and looks like he has Strep or toncilitis - nasty, anger red w/white, icky spots in there - so a trip to the doc is in store for us this morning. Darn it! I won't be at work, hense not making money, he won't be in school, hense missing another ball game. (coach is NOT a happy camper about this - Bry missed one yesterday too) Melis is doing better with hers - no icky throat.

Thanks for the heads up about Lost in Translation. I'll skip it. I know everyone has different tastes (thats what makes life interesting) but I'm always amazed when some one goes on and on about a movie that I thought was a real stinker. Did you guys see Big Fish? I liked that one -

Dottie - quiet days at work are a gift. Enjoy! Sounds like you are doing great with your eating. Things will kick in soon, I'm sure, and you will start dropping. The body can just be stubborn at times.

L - You are so good about your exercise. Good for you! So what was the final tally on the auction profits? Have any other good money raising ideas? I'm in charge of fundraising for our travel tournament team and I need to get some ideas flowing.

Sono - Your hours are sure all over the place, huh? That keeps it interesting! Maybe with the better weather now your eating will improve. I always feel like I do better in the warm weather since I'm more active and salads, etc. are included in the diet more easily. Cold weather is all about comfort food and couch vegging.

Ruth - Hope Harry is feeling better. And what did you do about the barn? Put the old doors back on? Guess its that old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' thing.

Linda - So whatcha cookin' today? I got a boneless pork roast that I'm going to throw in the crockpot today and we will have carnitas tonight.

Ok - off to shower then make calls and see if I'm taking Bry to his doc (if they have an opening this a.m.) or to the drop in clinic.

Have a positive day -

Kel