Old 03-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Low Carb Chatter - Week of March 29

Starting us up. It's just gorgeous out there and I'm serving coffee, Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs on the deck this morning. You'll need a jacket, however.

Today I intend to do some more raking and bed tidying. None of my usual fall cleanup got done last year because of H's stroke so there's lots to do out there! I did about an hour or so yesterday and am pleased to report that my shoulder is not giving me grief this morning.

Hersh has treadmill this morning and I am seriously considering the WATP tape plus a good long walk for Miss Lucy, the Virgin Queen!

What's up with you all today?
Old 03-29-2004, 07:37 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Morning Ruth and all to come....
Last day ov vacation for the kids! I will have to do something with them this morning, we have karate this afternoon.
I was asked to be on the school comittee for religious school. I went to the meeting yesterday and have decided that the woman who runs the school is NOT somone I can work with. She ranted for an hour about her own personal stories for 1 and them made a comment about how stupid the 4th grade boys are and how they just did not do well this year.OK MY son is in the 4th grade and don't you think that with 4 weeks to go of school it is a little late to be bringing this up? I have no intention of frustrating myself with this woman.

i will sit back and do the best I can to get my kids to where they are supose to be, but I will not sit in a meeting and let her tell people my son is stupid!

OK I have to think about getting out of my pajamas. OH it is only 7:30 I have time for another cup of coffee....
-L
Old 03-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #3  
workin' my way back down

Morning Ruth and L, and of course, all else who will follow

A beautiful sunny day here on LI this morning - too bad I have to get ready to go to work soon <sigh>........ oh well, it's beginning to look a lot like <gasp!> spring!!! just the thought makes me very happy.....

Ruth, I'm so glad you were able to work outside without any ill effects to your shoulder - I know that makes you VERY happy; actually, when you finish your delayed fall cleanup, want to come here and help with mine? due to schedules and auditions and "shoots" - Rick never got to do ours until after the rains began, so there are still autumn leaves around, not to mention the dead stalks of stuff that was never cut back hmmmm, maybe I'll be a nice wife ( ) and have the landscape guy come and do the whole cleanup bit -

L - I used to be extremely involved with our temple - at various times I was Recording Sec'y, Treasurer, etc etc etc .... after 12 yrs of all that and I got so fed up with all of it that I hardly ever even go there anymore... dh goes by himself to services on Friday nights (of course, it's a really good excuse that I don't get home from work until almost 8pm!, but that's what it is: an excuse). So, basically, what I'm trying to say is: just do what you need to do for your kids, and keep that whiny woman far away from you!

Oh well, it's time to go get my act in gear - have a great day everyone.......
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Thanks for the advice sono, I think volenteer work should be something you enjoy and I just see it being a miserable year if she stays, so I will go and find another way or time to help out...

Ruth, when you are done will you come here? I will walk the girls for you if you can make my garden grow....it is a little warmer here, does that entice you? I can even make you a low carb lunch....

-L
Old 03-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #5  

Just a qick pop in to say HI and to record my stats. As of the time I had my miscarriage, I have lost 11 pounds and 1 size. I am going to the gym faithfully and low carbing to for sure. last night's dinner was garlic shrimp and spinach--yum!

have a good one!

And L, don't even get me started on crappy volunteer service, I have a doozy of a story for that. Do what's best for you and your kids
Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #6  

Morning, morning!

How is everyone today? Have a good weekend? Easter will be here before we know it - anyone have any big Easter plans? Do ya gotta cook for a crowd or going where someone else has that task?

SF with the kids was a blast! Boys had never been on a train before so that was exciting (well, teenage boys don't show much but I knew they were excited! lol) We were dropped off at Market & Powell and trudged our rolling suitcases about 4 blocks up and 3 blocks over to the old victorian hotel. Very nice, spacious, quiet room with 2 queens, a small kitchen and we had a roll away brought in for Cody (Bry is a wild sleeper so the boys sharing a bed was out - Melis and I mostly sleep in little balls so we make fine bed sharers). We got in about 7:30 so we dumped our stuff, relaxed a bit and then went walking the streets in search of a dinner place. That was an adventure full of various street characters, etc. (nothing really scary except for the sidewalk sleeping gentleman that Melis almost stepped on - luckily he didn't wake up) We ended up at Max's Cafe and had a nice dinner and continued people watching. The next day started early for Melis & I since we had to check in at her art university open house at 8:30. There sure were a lot of people there: from 22 states and 9 countries! We listened to some presentations, registered for a tour of student housing and the Illustration department for noontime, then we went to have Melissa's portfolio reviewed by the head of the Illustration department. We figured that everyone there would be complimented on their work since the school would be trying to drum up students BUT we were surprised when, while standing in line waiting, we heard fairly harse things being said to some of the prospective students. Melis started getting nervous then but when her turn came, the man gave her a glowing review and made many wonderful comments about her work. He talked a lot to her about goals and what kind of job she would like - he seemed impressed that this slight, reserved 17 year old girl was so knowledgable about the different avenues in the art world and very determined about what she WANTS to do and what she DOES NOT. So then we did the tours and then went back to get the boys about 2:30, who had slept in, played cards and threw Skittles out the window at the birds. We took a wild cable car ride down to Fisherman's wharf and took a 1 hour boat ride out under Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. Very fun! Then we hung around the area, watched the seals, giggled at the street performers (there were some great ones), went to the wax museum, then had a nice crab (well, Bry had a burger) dinner and headed back to the hotel. Sunday morning I woke up early not feeling well which got progressively worse thru the morning (bus/train rides are NOT fun when your tummy is icky) but we headed home at arrived at 2:30 or so.

Ruth - So glad to hear that the body is cooperating with all that you want to do! I really love to work in the yard but my knees don't! Giggled at the Miss Lucy the Virgin Queen comment! How is Harry doing these days? And your helper still coming in so you can go out?

L - I have many years under my belt doing school & baseball volenteer work and I agree, if you don't like the others involved it can be very difficult. I think you made the right decision. There are other things you can do that will be appreciated and be more fun for you.

Sono - So glad that you are having nice weather there. It really does lift the spirits, doesn't it? The weather was soooo nice in SF - I was shocked since I was expecting it to be cold and nasty as usual! Hope you have a good day at work.

Ok - I got the other two off to school but I need to see how Bry is feeling. He was sick in the night quite a few times - I think he must have the tummy flu bug I had yesterday, poor baby. Have a good day, all.

Kel

Oh, hi, Pooky - you slipped in here on me. Keep up the good work! Sounds like you are on the right road!

Last edited by Ms Spotdog; 03-29-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

Hi all.
Ruth, you have been doing what I SHOULD be doing but so far I've managed to procrastinate my way out of it. The garden lurks on the edges of my conscience. I'm debating whether I should dismantle all the landscape cloth, bark mulch treatment I nearly finished last fall and proceed as recommended in my gardening magazine on how to deal with horsetail weeds. It will mean a lot of extra work but if it's effective, well worth the effort.
L, I've never volunteered with school or church ( I was too busy working in those days), but I do volunteer work now and I know it has to be something you enjoy WITH people you enjoy being with. I'm lucky in that there are no prima donnas in my women's group and we all work well together. I do find that it always seems to be the same group volunteering for various projects. A lot of the gals are elderly and I guess they figure they've done their share in the past and now they attend mainly for the social interaction. I'm glad my term as president is coming to the end. The buck really does stop here.
Pooky, you are doing so great! Happy to hear of your success. I need all the inspiring stories I can get.
I did go to the pool this morning and did a gentle water jog for an hour. I doubt if it burned any calories but at least it got me moving.
Have a great day. Now I really must get out in that garden.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #8  
Slimwithin

OK, where the heck is everyone?
I've had a busy morning, just doing household tasks, but it felt good to clean out a few kitchen drawers that have been bugging me.
Three loads of laundry are almost finished and the bed has been changed. Ta DA!
I guess I have to go out in the rain as I have to make a bank deposit and pick up a few groceries. I've decided to make two Italian dishes for my club's International Luncheon this Thursday. The first will be White Bean and Tuna Salad and the second will be Risotto Milanese. I also have to order my aunt's 90th birthday cake.
I hate to tell you that I got on the scale this morning and I'm back up to 280. For me, it sure doesn't take much overindulging to show on the scale.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Linda I am HERE!
Sorry about the scale, I think it hits all of us....
Well the kids are back to school and i went form 0-60 today! Confession is good for the soul? Well Sunday was my birthday and DH and kids did the big nothing...(do flowers from Costco coun't, I think not!)
But happy to say my frinds picked up where they left off and they have been great. Coffee with frinds this morning and a fun lunch, then off to work in the library...We are planning a weekend to Foxwoods to celebrate for all of us...should be fun.

Ok off to karate and do all the things Linda did this morning in about 45 min time. See i ment 0-60
Mis you guys. please post.
-L

Last edited by L144S; 03-31-2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #10  

Hi everyone:
I am a little nervous because I have never chatted online before. I am desperate to get rid of this weight and I need some daily support and motivation. The hardest time of the day for me is in the afternoon before the kids get home from school. I start snacking and it goes on and on. I also need some lunch ideas because I don't want to cook for lunch and then dinner. Any advice? Please help.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

DTL you have come to the right place! Post away...we are a busy group of chicks and like to use this tread to keep up on life...

There is lots of good information all over the boards. Check out the recipies...and FAQ's
I am a lazy cook. i tend to cook a large amount, 2 or 3 meals worth at a time and use it throughout the week. I will also cook and freez 1/2 sometimes so i can pull it out...

Cols cuts are great, rotiserie chicken, hard boiled eggs and bacon by the pound to reheat....
Welcome to 3fc and keep on posting, It does get easier.
-L
Old 03-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #12  

Talking

Dear L:
Thanks for the advice. I will check out the recipes and the FAQ's. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is not crazy about cooking. I cook dinner at least 5 nights a week and it gets frustrating to come up with new ideas that everyone likes. My kids can be picky eaters.
It was great to hear from you and I am looking forward to hearing from everyone else. Thanks again. Have a great night.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:45 PM   #13  
Slimwithin

Hi Desperate. Welcome. Try not to be so desperate. Seriously, those fat cells KNOW when we're anxious and hang on to the blub even harder, I swear it!
If you don't want to cook lunch but you start snacking before the kids get home from school, you should probably be having a bigger breakfast. When you're on the Atkins plan, you can have a humongous protein breakfast (I'm talking bacon or ham or sausages and eggs cooked in butter, etc) that should keep you filled and not even thinking about food until about 2 pm. So that's the time you haul out the ready-mix salad, top it with some sliced meat from last night's dinner and dress it up with a creamy or vinegar/oil dressing. No cooking involved. Sit down, put your feet up, enjoy your very filling salad and take your time eating it. Don't watch TV or read while you munch away. Concentrate on every mouthful. That should get you through the mid-day cravings.
Buy those big bags of frozen chicken wings at Costco or wherever and bake them up until they're lovely and crispy using whatever seasoning you and your family all like. You should have enough for dinner for the family one evening and several days of lunches (with salad) for you. Every night doesn't have to be a big production. Watch for meat specials and buy two for one of roast beef, pork, chickens. Use a huge roasting pan and roast them all together. This makes a marvelous gravy (but not for you, LOL) and the sliced meat served hot with gravy for the rest of the family with lots of slices of each meat frozen in zip-locks for you to haul out for your lunch the rest of the week. Great with salads or stir-fries and it sure does make life simpler. The leftover meat can also be used to make tacos or pasta topping and/or sandwiches for the family too.
Good luck and keep posting.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry I've not been in. Life is getting in my way! I'll be back later. Need to take the Girls to weigh in!
Welcome, Desperate. Can we call you DTL? (The Girls are dogs, by the way!)
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 AM   #15  

Oops - My schedule has been busy this week also, sorry. I'll make time to check in this evening, k?

Kel